Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I skimmed the OP, so sorry if I missed it, but how are the prospects for mods looking? I don't know much about how easy they were in CK2 but I do know I got a lot of extra play out of them. Hoping we can expect to see more!

Prospects are looking very good I think. Here's a recent DD if you want to read some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

CK sure seems to have the largest number of overhaul mods.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm just going to do the tutorial. I never found a good spot to properly get into CK2 so I'm mostly starting at the beginning.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like we’ll get something starting tomorrow, even if it doesn’t sound like a full embargo drop. Maybe just a curated list of videos for now.

Also that kid looks punchable enough that I wouldn’t feel bad at all if he found the wrong end of a knife.

https://twitter.com/ProudBavaria/status/1297908437418938368

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s pretty common for video/stream embargo’s to be before press review embargo’s. Imperator and HoI4 both had lets plays up days before launch but has launch-date reviews. Obviously that might change here, though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah getting in on the ground floor of PDS games is fun when looking back years later. Plus these are the last games I really care too much about being well balanced.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

Watched Proud Bavarian's video and gently caress this game looks good. I'm ready as all hell.

Yeah that’s my favorite so far, too. It was a nice little story paced pretty well over 20 minutes.

Towards the end I realized I hadn’t looked at his character in awhile, and when he popped up to select a lifestyle perk I was momentarily taken aback by how much he had aged since I last saw him. It was oddly affecting.

Anno
May 10, 2017

drat.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ham posted:

EnterElysium's Harold Godwinson video is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQk_JIZtdM

Yeah I just finished watching this. It's pretty great. And since it's long and focuses on a short time period it's basically just an episode of a normal LP.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The North Tower posted:

Re: embark-only vs distance from earlier: From the quill18 video it’s 1 gold to embark for any distance (eastern Spain to near-Jerusalem). 1g per 100 troops, rounded up.

It also tanks his income because of the maintenance increase. So you’re paying for distance, too.

Anno fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 26, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

Something to listen to at work Friday at least.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1299105614178783234

Anno
May 10, 2017

Magil Zeal posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in CK2 the marriage event that gave you prestige or gold only happened the first time you got married on a given character. If you divorced and remarried you wouldn't get the event again.

It’s this, I believe. Meneth chimed in on a reddit thread saying that it’s not intended to let you get the choice multiple times and would be fixed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

OPB mentioned towards the beginning of his stream that at least some of the big mod teams had received early access to the game, which is nice to see.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Apparently this is the Wizards Beard from the Monarch’s Journey stuff. It’s a fabulous beard!

Anno
May 10, 2017

Bloody Pom posted:

:aaaaa:

I'm so glad these will be added for everyone eventually.

Yeah for the first time I’m excited for the potential of cosmetic DLC in a non-Stellaris PDS game. Also hopeful that we get an XCOM2-like cosmetic mod scene in time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

SubNat posted:

Hm, interesting.
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Innovations
There are Eras tied to tech, it's pretty interesting/curious how the earlier era, Tribal. has a minimum year of 476. (Which I assume is earliest date it can be reached.)

I wonder if that means they might intend for a DLC to eventually push the start date so early that a 1000-year long game is possible.
(Or maybe it's a date they just picked with no bearing on actual/planned mechanics.)
(Or maybe it's a bone they threw to the developers of the Bronze Age mod, which I heard have been working on modding the game for a while now.)

I do like how there's a bunch of cultural/regional innovations though, seems like a decent way of weaving the cultural exclusive units into the tech tree more seamlessly.

I believe they said they were getting bugs when it didn’t have a min date so they just came up with one around some event that I can’t remember.

Anno
May 10, 2017

canepazzo posted:

476 would be for the fall of the Roman Empire, I imagine.

Sounds suitably significant!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I don’t remember who but one of the streams yesterday I believe said there was an option to lock tooltips with a mouse button rather than hovering.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Best I can tell, the highest Steam concurrent user number for any PDS-developed game that wasn’t on a free-trial weekend is Stellaris at just shy of 69k. 35 minutes in and this is already at 55k. And that’s for a game available elsewhere for between $1 and $5.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gort posted:

Hmm, why do some women not mind that my starting ruler is a hunchback, while others have a 30-point opinion penalty?

It’s an attraction opinion so I think it’s only a negative for women who are attracted to whatever gender your character is.

Anno
May 10, 2017

So far I've spent a good 90 minutes just watching an AI game in observer mode while I finish some work. It's nuts how fast speed 5 goes! And just choosing a baby and watching them grow up, get sick/wounded/etc. and eventually start to grey is one of the more impressive things I've seen in a game in awhile. Great job of making kids grow up to both be believable visages of their parents but also not look exactly like their siblings. It's pretty remarkable.

Anno
May 10, 2017

reignonyourparade posted:

drat, seems like there's possibly not currently any way to change capitals?

I thought I saw the option somewhere on the holding panel.

Anno
May 10, 2017

As someone who struggled to get more than an hour into CK2 I just played a little over 6 hours straight and had a blast. Can’t wait to get back to it tomorrow.

If CK2 was the beginning of modern-day PDS this feels like the next step up the ladder of quality and accessibility that needs to be in all of their games going forward. Feels like this game is going to be massive for a long time to come.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

my one problem is not letting you scroll down when on character pages when you use the bigger UI scaling, i have to play this game on my tv :'(

No idea if this is what you mean, but someone put out a mod that might help?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Still progressing through my first tutorial game after not being able to get into CK2. One of the first things I did after doing the tutorial part besides trying to centralize Ireland was to invite claimants to my court. One of those that showed up was Eadgar of Wessex, a man with average stats, but a pressed claim on the English throne. So I decided to try to make my first run about pressing that man's claim and winning. I gave him some land and made him my steward so he doesn't run from my court.

Since then he's somehow been doing everything in his power to become the ultimate warrior. I didn't notice for awhile, but when I declared war on Leinster and looked through my knights I saw that due to traits and temporary modifiers he was sitting at ~37~ prowess. Since then we've run over much of Ireland, and in every battle he kills scores of men and almost always at least one opposing knight, and I've never seen him wounded. We became friends one night at a feast and a few days later he converted to our culture. His wife was imprisoned for adultery, but fortunately not before they had a (I think?) legitimate son.

The game right now is as much about Eadgar claiming his throne - or, failing that, at least his son doing so - as it is about my dynasty.

This damned game man.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Pretty neat new mod for people looking to take cool photos.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I wonder if this game falls into some weird AI uncanny valley. Like yeah there are some times where my allies obviously don't make the right move, but two or three times this afternoon I've had them make a move I initially thought was dumb (usually not reinforcing me in a battle that I was narrowly winning) and instead went off to break a siege or catch a reinforcing stack or something that later I realized was probably a good call. And since you can narrowly win a battle and still do outsized damage to the opposing force if you have good pursuit it's not even as big of a risk. It's weird.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Woah, I didn't notice until now how much your standing with your realm priest matters for how much money they pay you. Going from +1 to +60 has increased his tax to me from .6 to 3.4. He's currently giving me over a third of the income of my entire realm's bishoprics.

Anno
May 10, 2017

If I fabricate a claim and my current ruler dies in the middle of the war, has the claim been pressed yet such that my kid inherits it? I’d think not - and it’s not listed as a claim on my heir’s character sheet - but the war screen still says I’d take the territory if I enforced my demands.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Oh dear me posted:

Is it worth increasing control on your vassals' counties?

If control is below a certain threshold (I think 35?) it can start creating some events that make the county effectively useless, so I do when it’s that low and my Marshall doesn’t have any other pressing matters.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s begun.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

The more I play, the more skeptical of the fervor system I become. In my current game, Catholicism has almost been wiped out by Waldensian and Insular (and me, to be fair).

Edit: Wait, you cannot disinherit someone if they're a different religion than you? That's... very strange.

I think the system is fine. It produces results that seem reasonable if your faith falls to such low fervor. I just think it’s kinda borked for Catholics on the numbers side such that it usually breaks. I like that Catholicism could have a bad run and end up being eaten up by a million heresies, but it’s obviously bad that it happens regularly.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Strudel Man posted:

The problem is that "falling to a low fervor" is caused by things that do not seem plausibly to lead to it. The main causes of fervor reduction are 1) large size of the faith, and 2) successful holy wars.

I think those both seem reasonable as ways of keeping the sandbox of the world active and changing things up. Isn’t the issue with Catholics more that their fervor consistently gets tanked by that Sinful Priest event?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The way great holy wars take a big chunk out of your fervor even if you win is a bit weird to me. "Oh yes, our religion is really the true one, it is perfect, our fervor is maxed, so let's bring the truth to the filthy infidels! [five years later] Wow, we sure won that war. Truly, God has proven that our beliefs are just and right by granting us this victory! Or did he? Actually now I'm not so sure anymore..."

I just think of it as American politics. One party does super well, gets complacent/people get mad, then they lose and people get renewed interest, back and forth.

So people win a holy war but then kinda get complacent and see the corrupt religious leaders handing out the spoils of the war for favors and political purposes and lose some faith etc.

The amount could probably be lessened a bit tho.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think they did a good job with progression in this game, which is rare for a strategy title imo. Things are crazy early on, tribal realms can be super powerful, but as time goes on and feudal realms tech up and get new succession options and tribals have to try to modernize things slowly become more stable.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Is there anything in particular I should know about playing as a clan? I've never played outside of feudal Europe before. It seems like I want to have a good number of kids to help keep up alliances with my vassals to keep up our relations, though that obviously makes succession potentially more messy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I like that they’re going with longer dev cycles because it produced a very polished game. I do wish they had earlier/more speculative dev diaries as well, but I get why they don’t want to, so I’ll live. I’m sure they’re anxious to sell us some DLC with how well the game sold.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m more than happy to wait until they have something to show, but yeah I don’t really understand the messaging here. Especially from arguably the studio who has most conditioned their fanbase to expect early glimpses at stuff and understand that things look bad before they come out, can change a lot etc. I’m happy to learn that there’s a large team supporting the game but give us something to get excited about. Out of context Paradox teasers are fun.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah the information itself is cool and awesome and I think people would really like to hear it. But people have been hungering for a DD with any sort of information about the first DLC for months, so announcing it like this just makes people angry. They said it’s about hype management or whatever but this seems like the exact opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just so I can jinx and it doesn't happen: they saw how much money Civ 6 is bringing in and are working on a season pass to go alongside normal paid expansions

There’s already an expansion pass right?