Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone link me to some guides on how to prevent complete chaos when your player dies?

If you have partition(and since primogeniture comes so late you will basically always have partition) you absolutely want exactly one heir to avoid stuff splitting on death(sure your stuff won't usually leave the realm unless you really mess up, but it sucks losing the buildings on your other counties). Disinheriting spare kids, making them take vows or even straight-up murdering them(best done to your grandkids ahead of time) all work. Also having non-neutral gender laws helps a lot, since then you have to mess with them half as much. It's even better if you have the freedom to swap from male preference to female preference depending on the proportions and which kid looks most promising. Once you have a decent heir and some opposite gender kids for making alliance marriages, then consider embracing celibacy to not muddy the succession with more kids.

Alliances are really important I've found. There's no cost to inviting them into a defensive war, so getting a strong alliance with something like France or the Byzantines can really help you when your vassals inevitably rebel. You can also ally with your strongest vassals to keep them out of factions, but that always feels like a bit of a waste honestly. Just make sure that your alliances will still apply when your heir inherits, or even leave some family members unmarried in advance for them if you're not sure.

It also helps if you've put away some gold to hire mercenaries with, and of course if you have some good men at arms. You can also store some prisoners of hostile faiths for your new heir to execute to rocket up their dread right away and discourage factions. If you've been careful to give stuff mainly to content/cowardly/etc people then they should be easy to terrify into submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Elias_Maluco posted:

By than you will be more loved (even if its just for the long reign bonus) and also the tyranny wont matter much because soon you will be dead

There is some kind of "Child of a Tyrant" opinion modifier for your kid so it isn't entirely free, but yeah it can be nice to start your heir's reign with some key vassals in jail or landless.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
There is also a vassal limit, and if you go too far over it then you start getting income penalties, so if you get big enough then you'll want to start making king vassals. It is also just a lot easier to manage a few big vassals then the duke blob as well.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Something that can also help is having your main duchy have an elective succession and rigging the election in your heir's favour. Just make sure that you don't set your primary title as elective because I think that messes things up.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

PittTheElder posted:

So the new train commanders is interesting. You build up commander skill and MaA power over time, but you lose it instantly if you assign your Marshal to any other task, rather than it decaying like I expected.

Or if your Marshal defects to a new faction. Honestly I like this, because it means you actually need to make sure your Marshal is loyal instead of just palm slamming some -100 opinion dude with 28 martial and replacing him with the next best when he revolts.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Tamba posted:

So what's up with these ransom offers? Can you actually see what they're offering? The Accept and Decline buttons don't have any tooltips.

If it doesn't say what they're offering I think that means they're offering a weak hook/favor.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The culture pillar that gives you strong hooks and +50 opinion for pardoning people is extremely silly if you have a religion that makes adultery a crime. Some idiot duke cheats on their wife, I throw them in the dungeon, pardon them so we're besties and then ransom them for a hundred gold apiece. My kingdom is literally powered by horny jail at this point.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Been playing as the Duke of Athens in 1066 to try out all these sweet new greek culture things and the Byzantine Empire is having an extremely normal time. There are basically constant revolts to become Emperor, all of which I ignore in favour of snagging more territory for myself and trying not to get squished by the 10k large piles of armies wandering around. I keep trying to make friends but after a mental breakdown turned me Arbitrary basically everyone hates me because everyone greek is Just now. Somewhere in there France became part of the Byzantine Empire.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Boy I hate succession laws. Started in Bohemia and it goes to oldest in the line, which was like my 4 brothers. So instead of going to someone young, it just goes to some like 3 years younger, who then dies in a couple years. Rinse and repeat through like 4 kings in 10 years.

Won’t let me change it because we don’t have anything else discovered. Maybe soon I can finally pass this thing down to some under 50.

The solution to that is to conquer all of south slavia or whatever, use the decision to get absolute crown authority and then you can designate your best kid as heir and you're basically playing with primogeniture.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

MikeC posted:

There needs to be some hard check where if you (any AI) join someone's claimant faction, they should first check to make sure they like the other guy more or something and then once they win, they stick with their choice for at least 10 years or something.

They do get a temporary +50 opinion boost to their candidate for a while, but yeah that doesn't seem to be enough anymore/

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Ok so the 'strong hook on grant pardon' cultural pillar is even sillier then I thought. At this point I've become the Byzantine Empire and frequently have to deal with absolutely enormous vassal revolts which are a pain to deal with even with insane military strength. Except, I realized that I could just beat up a few armies with my huge killy cataphract piles to get to 30% warscore and then white peace. White peacing a faction gives imprisonment/title revocation reasons and is honestly probably worth doing even with just normal greek culture because everyone has big bonuses to turning themselves in. I then proceed to grant pardons to everyone, which gives them all +50 opinion forever and a strong hook which I can use to modify their contracts. After a few iterations of this, I now have every single vassal paying extortionate taxes to me, but they're still perfectly loyal because of the hooks. And every five years I can juice them with Demand Payment for like a thousand gold.

Before I took over there was actually one Emperor who managed to hold on for like fifty years, with no faction revolts and very high military strength. Of course then he died and then everything went to poo poo again, but I was pretty impressed with that guy. Dunno what exactly he did that made him so successful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The real primogeniture is House Seniority and Absolute Crown Authority, because you can designate heir one of your kids and they'll be the one who inherits instead of some 90 year old guy on death's door.

The catch is that you need to spend 1000 prestige to re-designate your heir if your first one dies, and if you drop down from Absolute then it stops working, which can sometimes be a problem if you're not already that well established.

Oh and Bohemia, everyone's favourite start, can gain access to this combo astonishingly quickly because they have a unique decision that sets crown authority to absolute and they start with House Seniority a tech tier ahead of schedule.