Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The art direction overall is easy on the eyes. The character model generator thing looked great in Imperator but it's really going to shine here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Veryslightlymad posted:

Didn't Ofaloaf make that?

He did, some other people took over updating it but Ofaloaf made everything originally.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I really like the maximum siege length timer from that video. It's infuriating in pdx games when you sit at your maximum siege level for months on end, wondering 'will this be the month the RNG lands in my favor?" You could always try to assault them once the number of defenders drop down but without a way to automate that decision you have to pay close attention to it when I would rather be paying attention to their armies moving around.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I have 255 hours in CK2 and 0 achievements unlocked, who needs achievements when there are so many mods to choose from?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

ilitarist posted:

I'm really looking for casual chill potential of CK3.

Usually I'm all for deep and complex strategy games or RPGs. But last month was tough one (I got twins, my country Belarus got a revolution with dead people on my street) and now I just want to chill the gently caress up. So my library of cool intellectual games doesn't really work for me now. I'm walking around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and get really tired of trying to have fun from anything more complex.

So fellow lovers of needlessly complex
games, do you have any casual recommendations of any genre to pass the time while we're waiting for the release of CK3?

Oof, twins. This is probably a terrible recommendation but when my last kid was born I played Kenshi for about a month straight, it can be janky as gently caress and ruthlessly difficult but the difficulty drops immensely if you save scum because it makes it easy to steal from the shops at night. Once you get going it's fun and chill to build an outpost somewhere and then go exploring with your fast/sneaky characters. And of course it's easy to pause and step away to change diapers etc. Super fun game but maybe too crazy for you right now, although I will say the combat doesn't require a lot of input from the player, it's real-time with pause and mostly automatic.

edit: If you do try it out, you should use a mod that increases XP gain, unless you don't mind getting your rear end kicked over and over again (which is normal in this game and not always a bad thing since it makes you come out stronger).

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 26, 2020

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

When the last Imperator update came out, I noticed the developers of the Bronze Age mod (very big and detailed total conversion mod and #3 most subscribed in the workshop) said they weren't going to update it for Imperator anymore, they were converting the mod to CK3. Based off that alone I would bet Paradox gave them CK3 beta access and they must have really liked what they saw. That's an awful lot of work to convert a mod that size, and you don't make decisions like that without knowing exactly what you're getting yourself into.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 28, 2020

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Good news, everyone: I have confirmed that you can play as an old shirtless Indian dude.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lord Mune, can you congratulate the artists who did the oil-painting-like load screens? They're gorgeous.

Agreed, my only complaint is that there are only 5 of them right now, but each one is quality.

If you want to look at them outside of the game or turn them into a wallpaper: Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\gfx\interface\illustrations\loading_screens

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Starting as Rhodri the Great in Gwynedd has been a lot of fun. Thanks to an early decision to marry my heir to the daughter of Charles the Bald, I managed to unite Wales and the Isle of Mann and hold off the Vikings. The problem is, Rhodri starts with a whole lot of sons, and they are all ambitious assholes. I thought it wouldn't be a big problem afterward, I could find a way to control at least enough of them to prevent a rebellion.

Nope. After King Rhodri died, I quickly learned my new character Anarawd had tried and failed to murder most of his siblings at one point. Oops. They loving hated him, -100s across the board. They immediately started a faction to put their unlanded sister on the throne. Anarawd had only one county to levy troops from. Not enough money for mercs. I knew I was hosed with only 20 months until the ultimatum.

Fortunately, the Vikings then invaded Cornwall. The ruler of Cornwall was married to the same sister who was planning to usurp me. After answering their call to arms, I forced Anarawd's brothers to be knights and sent them into battle against a slightly larger force. Two very narrow victories later, every last knight in my army had died, including every single land-holding rear end in a top hat of a brother. Crisis averted!

Their heirs were mostly children so the faction disbanded immediately. By the time they are old enough to join factions, the massive opinion malus for attempted kinslaying will be gone. Or maybe they will be dead by then, who knows? Crusader Kings.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Vichan posted:

Anyone else having an issue with navigating the family tree?

It took me a minute to figure out you have to hold the middle mouse button down to move it around. I have no idea if this is related but I also have the middle mouse button enabled to lock tooltips.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

luxury handset posted:

nah, you don't have to give a poo poo about vassals of vassals. one of the nice thing about having higher tier vassals is that all of the vassals under them are firmly their problem. so if you're a fighting king and there's a whole bunch of newly conquered assholes to deal with who are raising a fuss, you can just crown a duke and say "yeah, congrats, you're the duke of rear end in a top hat whiny land now, good luck with all your perfectly reasonable subjects" and make it someone else's problem to deal with

Crusader Kings 3: congrats, you're the duke of rear end in a top hat whiny land now, good luck with all your perfectly reasonable subjects

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

DurosKlav posted:

Please make Partition suck just a little less please. Its making the game harder but not in a fun way imo. :(

Maybe they could add early Primogeniture or other systems something to toggle in the difficulty settings/game rules when you start a new game. Or maybe there is already something like that.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm really liking the difficulty level in this game. The lack of Primogeniture was a tough pill to swallow but you have more options for dealing with it now. I hope they keep melee combat as lethal as it is, it has been a great help for dealing with troublesome vassals and unwanted heirs. Every time my character dies it's like "Kim Jong Un Simulator 2020" as the new king cleans house and consolidates his power.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah it is a little weird seeing Swedish counties along the coasts stretching around Iberia into the Mediterranean. I have the exclave rule on its max setting but since they're coastal the game allows it.

Also, it's a pain in the rear end going up against kingdoms with elective succession laws. I wish there was a better way to split their countries up, because right now to keep them manageable I sometimes have to assassinate their kings over and over until I get one who is weak enough to deal with. But no matter how many I kill, their kingdoms don't lose any land.

Is the 1066 start a little more sane with the border gore? I would imagine it's not much different but I think these wacky Vikings might be making it crazier.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 7, 2020

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Communist Thoughts posted:

is there no way to stop your army mustering?

If you create a new army from the mustering army, you can move your new army immediately. Just make sure to move your preferred commander and knights over, too.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If I had to pick one thing in the game that I'd like to see fixed then it would be the atrocious border gore, specifically with exclaves popping up all over the map. This is with the exclave settings at max level:

Africa is not the ideal place for Swedes!

My idea would be to force their independence but set them up as an autonomous tributary so you could still see little Viking colonies everywhere but you don't have to fight every Norseman in Scandinavia to reclaim Corsica. As it is now you'd have to either take the objective and wait for the war score to tick up (hoping they don't make any new allies in the meantime), or convoy your armies across the world to siege Stockholm/Novgorod/wherever and hope that you don't need them back home anytime soon. Sometimes you end up having to fight hordes upon hordes of Vikings for a single province since you can't always murder their alliance link, they could easily be out of diplomatic range.

I know IRL there was some intense border gore at times, a prime example would be Charles V, but it would be nice to keep the wars at a local level rather than having Hearts of Iron IV scenarios play out for single-county holdings.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Had I been in charge, I would have marched the Stellaris launch QA team out to a forest in the dead of winter, made them dig a long trench, then forced them to beg for their lives at gunpoint. By comparison, merely closing their department is generous

You know you can stop RPing your incestuous murder tyrant when you turn the game off.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

buglord posted:

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

Vassals are only obligated to provide you with a portion of their levies, which automatically gets included in with your own levies unlike CK2. You can also be allied to your vassals but I think there's a catch I'm not remembering right now.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I've started converting my prisoners before releasing them. I'm not sure if it's a great scheme in the long run but I'm sure Catholic Vikings will be a little easier to manage (once I no longer need the holy war CB against them). You can also use hooks to force them to accept a marriage proposal, so one of my character's daughters is currently matrilineally married to the king of West Francia, meaning their children will be of my dynasty and thus contributing to my dynasty's renown. It might also be a good idea to abduct one of your vassals to prevent a faction war. Once they're in your dungeon you can easily revoke their titles and then release them while forcing them to renounce their claims.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 10, 2020

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Oh man, all of my selective breeding was just starting to pay off. I betrothed my genius herculean heir to a beautiful & intelligent daughter of the Duke of Valois, who happens to be a very powerful duke and is currently preventing my rivals from invading me. My other schemes were also coming to fruition and in just one or two more generations I was looking at becoming the Emperor of Britannia. Generations of careful management, bitter wars and risky schemes have all led to this.

Then I caught my heir loving his sister. She got pregnant and gave birth to a genius dwarf and the whole world found out about it. As much as I'd like to push the disinherit button or find some way to kill off this branch of the family, I feel that the best way to proceed is to make sure this bastard little Tyrion/Joffrey mix finds his way to the throne some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

You can get absurd amounts from having lots of people of your dynasty, independent ruler or not. If you're expanding, just give every single new duchy to a dynasty member, and relatively soon you'll be swimming in renown.

Once I finish forming Britannia I think I'm just going to spend the rest of the game trying to put my dynasty on every throne I can with minimal bloodshed. My current strategy is to use fabricated hooks to arrange matrilineal marriages, you can sometimes snag their firstborn son. So far this has been working out for me but it's not guaranteed they will keep the throne for long.