Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
After the amount of time I spent in CK2 the past two years, and having recently built a rig that can actually play CK3 to it's fullest, my hype levels are overwhelming. Reading about it being more rpg-like than CK2 is so far up my alley, I love constructing my narrative and I'm seeing that I'm getting everything I want. My modlist and DLC have been integrated into the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Qubee posted:

Is there a more manipulative and sinister way I can revoke their title without creating heavy opinion losses or other negative effects? Someone said something about imprisoning them first to avoid the negative stuff.

I may be wrong, but I've been fabricating claims on counties I want that are controlled by others. Especially within my realm. It's worked for me that when I revoke their title, because I have a valid claim, there's no penalty except for possible rebellion. When you win that war, they are traitors and in your dungeon and you can take their title.

I guess it's like plot to revoke from CKII? I only discovered that like a month ago.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

redcheval posted:

Is there a way to choose where mercenaries populate on your map? I'll amass my armies close to the enemy target but mercenaries always seem to uselessly pop up at my capital no matter what.

Also I've seen people mention ctrl-clicking to stop armies amassing before all your levies are raised, but I don't know exactly what this means and haven't been able to get it to work. How does that work?

To your first question, do you have multiple rally points in play? I've only ever had one in play, or created one and chosen "Raise All Here" on that specific point.

To your second question, if you hold ctrl and click to move the stack, they will immediately begin to march. If you only click to move they will fully assemble and then march. A difference of a month or more.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also, be aware that all your men-at-arms and your commander will instantly teleport to wherever you're raising your army, so if you're fighting a small war and don't need levies, you can basically start fighting day one by moving the rally point as close as possible, raising armies, and ctrl-clicking all while the game is paused. It feels kinda cheap, to be honest.

This is how I took the HRE in my game. After a 60 year long adventure of marriage, my new emperor had a claim to the HRE from his mother, a princess. When she finally died, and the claim was his, the HRE had moved their capital to a county BORDERING my empire. I was trivial to say the least, taking it.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

How to I get the option to abduct or do anything other than murder through intrigue? I've got intrigue skill out the wazoo. The CK3 wiki lists all these other options as standard.

Also I have no idea how to use any of this piety that I've been building up - is it purely for reforming my religion?

Use it for Holy Wars, or to ask the Pope for Money.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Lol my brother murdered my son and then immediately offered me an alliance.

"It didn't have to be this way."

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Got a situational question I need some help on. I'm playing an Ironman game, where I directly own the northern half of Ireland and am the Queen of Ireland, the Brian family maintains their duchy of mumu as my vassals to the south and it includes the duchy of leinster.

Now my issue is that I just put down a rebellion by the duke of mercia, who directly owns most of the duchy. In addition he also owns most of northern england, and he brought another countess into the rebellion. Normally I would just revoke all their lands and be done with it, but my ruler is just and generous, so each revocation comes with +60 stress.

If they sit in my dungeon I know they won't join factions, but will they still be traitors if my current character dies? Will my heir be able to revoke all their titles? I've done very well for myself this game, and actually fell upwards into my heir's heir being heir to the kingdom of wales.

Not sure what to do here. Except that I have all the leverage.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

sloppy portmanteau posted:

What's the most efficient way to deal with this situation? I have the Empire of Alba, and claims on all of the land belonging to Norway, formerly Kingdom of Danelaw. But it looks like the fastest way to reclaim all of Britania is to wage 8 Seize De Jure Duchy wars, which would just take way too long with the constant truce. I have the "Divine Right" innovation but that works only on "Your Claims"

Can you fabricate a hook on a potential diplomat councilor nearby that you can get into your court to raise the chance of the truce ending? Also you can murder kings to nullify the truce as well.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Maybe getting Just, Diligent and Ambitious on the character I was planning on reforming the Norse faith with wasn't such a good idea, every sacrifice is causing me around 50 stress.

I hate how often I have an empire built on blood fall apart because I raised a morally sound kid for once.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Daktar posted:

Okay how do I arrange things so I can revoke a title without tyranny? I've got a heretic Duke, demanded his conversion, he refused, I imprisoned him with no issues, but I still get a tyranny penalty if I revoke.

Keep him in jail and use your bishop to get a claim. He can't do anything in prison, and once you have the claim you'll be able to revoke without tyranny.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
What an upstart vassal this was. She fabricated a claim on my drat kingdom while having the Duchy of Ulster taken out from under her. I took back Ailech from Lappland, and moved on to vassalize her, which she accepted. Then I gave her Ailech because I didn't need it and she hits me with this a year or two later to get rid of the hook. What a jerk! My character was unfortunately too nice to not let it slide because the stress would've been too much but man. Made me go after that Duchy earlier than I wanted to. She should've been more aware that I was still 3 counties below my domain limit.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Eimi posted:

Apropos of nothing, I really hope the ability to mod in music gets expanded. It sucks you have no control of volume and everything is only ambient music, with no way to flag it to play for specific situations or culture groups. Totally listening to the ck2 ost again and I would love to be able to rig things so that when you go to war you get to hear The Persian Army and stuff.

Ironman Compatible: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2217692879&searchtext= - Pretty much the only mod I need for an Ironman run right now, when it plays after a rival dies in your dungeon? chef's kiss

Not Ironman Compatible: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473&searchtext= - This was fun for a while but definitely got stale. It was especially fun though, when I was at pure dread stage of an empire, with 10s of infidel prisoners, you can execute someone to change tracks.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Eimi posted:

Hmm, I'll look into the architecture on that, since my understanding is what I said. All the current ck2 music mods have this issue where they can just be set to ambient with the volume ludicrously high.

Yeah I didn’t attempt to disprove you, I reread your post and realized you meant something else.

I didn’t feel like this was appreciably loud when I was using it though I do have a mixer and tend to be quiet overall

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does anyone know where in game you can see the modifiers from your faith holding a holy site? I literally did not know they were unique to each holy site until I read that wiki page.

Select the Faith overlay and you can mouse over each one or go to the Faiths Window and look at Holy Sites.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Does anyone know a path to Cannibalism? I've got my own Christian Cannibal faith and the only piece missing is the Cannibal Trait.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I only got as far as having a guy be "the Mindbreaker," haven't gotten to trigger Cannibalism yet. I will resume torturing.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

But sadly, the beards are not available during the actual gameplay, only in the barber shop :smith:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

buglord posted:

kinda wish dying from aging wasnt so sudden. unless you get that one perk which gives you a 1 year heads up, it seems silly to straight up croak with little context.

If you mouseover the heart icon in old age you’ll see that the character might be ailing or have penalties. I had a character that was ailing for a decade before the game pinged to say death in a year.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

The pope can literally buy every single mercenary company in the game, and does. He floats 100k+ gold on the regular. If you can beat the pope, you have "won" the game because youre now unstoppable.

I beat the Pope by buying all 1000+ merc companies, and then extending them for another 3 years. But I'm also a Pope.

e: guys want only one thing and its disgusting:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gaj posted:

Im noticing as I expand my bishop is automatically given all temple holdings. Should I revoke some of their titles and spread them out to other guys or let one dude run every church?

Wait for him to get old and fabricate a hook on him. He likely will have a couple thousand gold, and you can banish him to take it all.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gaj posted:

Oh so I can just banish him, I dont need the lifestyle choice to be able to extort him?

You'll incur some tyranny, but yeah you just need the hook to be able to make sure you imprison.

sorry for the phone screenshot, but I just so happened to have one handy in my chats

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

buglord posted:

How do I avoid the situation where my current heir isn’t part of my dynasty? This seems to happen every time I convert to a custom religion with equal gender laws/norms. It’s pretty frustrating and I can’t really tell where along the line I made the “mistake” of proposing a marriage which would result in a non dynasty heir.

It happened to me when I made my faith equal gender laws, and my first daughter was normal married. If you want your faith to be equal then you really have to be on top of your kids.

This has to be the best attempt at painting a realm in this game so far.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

BabyFur Denny posted:

Krete, stop this, you're an island

Yeah I’m not sure how Krete managed to own so much land but more power to them. I’m the head of my own faith and directly own Britannia.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Playing the tutorial. My idiot son Brian went to a dueling spree because he wanted to be a blademaster. He went dueling while wounded. Well then some dude beat him and he went to severely wounded, then dead. RIP. At least he had two very young children and I have one child too so things could be worse.

It's not the worst, because usually when I play the tutorial I try to skip over Brian and make a new heir with better qualities. My ideal succession is King to Grandson, with them hopefully already of age.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Great. I actually don't know how to play this game though. I granted Athlone and Dublin to Brian's daughter (so my granddaughter) for some reason. I made duchy of Meath but seems I can't grant it to my granddaughter because I need to be the king of Ireland first.. and I need 500 gold for that.

Maybe it is not a good idea to give land and titles to a daughter but whatever this is a tutorial.

It will take 4½ years to save money to form Ireland. Man I want to make money faster.. but improvements are also super expensive.

Yeah you might want to get those back. Keep an eye on the top right number, that’s your domain limit. If you’re at 1/6 or 2/5, you might want to consider solidifying your position and holding them all directly.

The knock on benefit is that you get more levies, gold, and prestige. Once you are High King, you can hand out dukedoms no problem, but before then if any of your vassals get enough money or army they will come after independence so they can create their title, should they own the de jure territory for the title.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

What. I called a hunt, and during it my spymaster wanted to tell a secret. Well the secret was that she was loving my nephew Cennetig!! So I got to secrets where my nephew and my spymaster (both unmarried!!) were having sex outside marriage.

I got them married right afterwards... like, why not if they really like each other.

I see. Well my limit is 3/6 so I can just take them back. I'm sure my granddaughter doesn't mind.
Use your bishop to fabricate claims on both, and then revoke. If you do with out claims you incur tyranny. If they revolt, win the war and they are imprisoned and cannot say no. If they are in prison but you don't have claims, you'll still incur tyranny. That's the land grab loop.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

minema posted:

Any recommendations for a good start of somewhere I can just build my realm and spread my dynasty across the world? Don't really want to do much invading or anything, more focus on the bloodline side of things and get my family as important people everywhere

It's way overplayed and oversuggested but Ireland fits the bill too well. Only 7 counties needed for a Kingdom and then 5 or 6 more to own the entire island. You can convert to Catholicism and Crusade, you can marry your kids off to other rulers and grow your dynasty outside your borders, and there's really not too much in the way of you doing all that. You can start with a weaker character than Murchad and ramp the difficulty up. I once as Earl of Leinster had to swear fealty to Wales, England and Scotland to be able to come out on top of Ireland.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Hargrimm posted:

If you really want to spread your dynasty around the whole world and not just Europe, being on the far west edge of the map will limit your actions due to diplomatic range though.

That's a good point. Your diplomatic reach isn't farther than like Estonia.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I really didn't look what happened to the people in my family while still learning to play the game... so some accidents like this happened. Uhh so if I got an alliance with Denmark I could maybe try to conquer Scotland or Wales? I can't do it alone at least for now because they seem to have allies and/or larger armies :smith:
Yep! They may call you into their own wars, which you can accept and never show up for but you can feel confident knowing that if you wanted to press a claim somewhere nearby, they'd likely swoop in to help you out. I like to matrilineally marry daughters to 2nd and 3rd in line to random kingdoms if I can, I get an alliance and the potentiality of my dynasty taking over that kingdom.

I also like to betroth my infants to adults and then break the betrothal before they come of age, sometimes even the ruler/person who accepted the betrothal dies in battle with no heir, because my niece is still 6 years old.

I've been a real piece of poo poo as a ruler so far I'm realizing.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s some advice for breaking up a powerful vassal? I am king of England, Wales, and soon to be Ireland, but one of my dukes has 7 duchies. 5 of them have their own inheritance rules (which is how I think they’ll all wind up going to his primary heir). Murdering won’t help, since the heir will be as powerful as he is.

Can you kill the heir? Can you get a hook on the guy and imprison him while you make claims? I'd honestly try to murder the heir, and then acquire claims, at least one, to provoke him to revolt, you'd be able to revoke it all once his a traitor.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Imnimo on reddit posted:

This is an analysis of the life span and cause of death of all characters in a 600-year-long game of CK3. I wrote a simple (in other words, lazy) script to pull out birth dates, death dates, and cause of death for all characters in the save file. CK3 assigns each character a single cause of death, regardless of how many contributing conditions they may have had. Each potential cause of death is given a priority value, which roughly corresponds to how severe it is. When a character dies, they're assigned the highest priority cause of death that applies to them. So if you have bubonic plague and also depression, your cause of death will be plague, even though both health penalties contributed.

I sorted all the causes of death into a few categories to keep things manageable. They are:

Childbirth: a mother who dies giving birth
Dungeon: death from being imprisoned
Genetic: Any genetic health penalty, including gigantism, inbred, etc.
Homocide: Murder plots, executions, torture, and duels.
Misc: Mostly event-related causes, such as being devoured by carp (the cause of death of 1% of all dwarf characters!)
Stress and Mental: stress and coping mechanisms like flagellant, as well as suicide and depression.
Injury: Wounded, maimed, etc.
Disease: Sickly infants to bubonic plague.
War: Battle, raids and sieges. Note that wounds received in battle fall under the Injury category.
Natural causes: Old age and natural health decay.

The horizontal axis of the chart shows the age of death, and the vertical axis shows the frequency of death at that age. The segments for each cause of death are stacked on top of one another. You can't see it because of the scale, but a few characters lived to be over 100. All of them are mayors, and I believe there's a bug causing generated mayors to be too old and too healthy for their age.

sullat posted:

What it really needs is a pop-up blocker or something. When I'm mass ransoming 50 prisoners I don't want to hear their parting shot, just let it go to voicemail. Really wants me to do mass execute instead so I don't have to deal with the pop-up.

I was hoping for a 10 > 1 mod or something, where if multiples of the same popup appear they merge and just say "x6."

Or even better would be geographically based notifications, so if you're looking at the paper map you see the popup appear over the location of the event.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 27, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I got a little bored of the North Korea run I had after pinching most of France away in Holy Wars for Duchies, so I saved the game as a fork, and hit switch character to observe. I let the AI dole out the titles, all 240 of them, and go at x6 speed. When it blew past the end date I was giddy because I didn't realize I had that turned off, and here's the Dynasty ~150 years or so later. When I let go of the wheel, I wasn't sure it would all hold together but the AI gave a ton of titles out to dynasty members and it all worked out.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

PancakeTransmission posted:

That was pretty funny

Does this completely nerf North Korea mode?

I believe it does because building and stacking building effects was one of the keys to success for it. If all buildings disable then that would kill you MAA effectiveness.

Glad I got my North Korea in, its time to branch out.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

- Children can no longer start a literalist debate

I kind of like these though.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

redcheval posted:

Quoting for a new page just in case anyone knows this, although I wouldn't be surprised if it remains a mystery. I'm pretty sure he WAS a knight at some point too. I can force my other two sons into knighthood just fine but THEY don't have the shy trait. Why can't you be more like your younger brothers <:mad:>

Can you just disinherit him?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

How do you get access to people with multiple good inheritable traits? I just married my son to his cousin because at this point, only my house is producing quality kids. It's hard enough finding someone who is just quick or pretty to marry. I saw a genius once and married him to my beautiful sister, that's how we got the quality cousins. Geniuses are mostly not around and literally no one has multiple good traits. I'm trying to avoid inbreeding as it feels super gamey.

I arrange the Find Spouse window by Sum of All Skills and then just go down the list until I find someone worthwhile.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You can also just filter the marriage options by traits, just enter the trait into the search bar and choose it when it pops up on the menu.
:stare:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Speaking of genetics, I am alarmed at the overall success of marrying my cousins, or marrying cousins, in my Rostislav of Moravia 867 run. I married him to a Genius and our only child was a Genius and since that one heir, I've had a number of Geniuses pop out of a pairing of a Quick + Intelligent Cousin pairing. It's 1088 now and my current heir is a Genius from one such pairing. I've only had 2 negative traits appear and that was Wheezing and Bleeder on one daughter that I married into West Francia for a little genetic warfare.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

GoodluckJonathan posted:

My nephew loving owns

I literally always choose the "side with your vassal" option, except the one time I was trying to provoke one to rebel. (He didn't, spineless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I've got a really fun tall game going as the Doux of Sicily. Started in 867 as the Count of Syracusa, the only non-muslim on the island. Took it all and then some by 1066, and now I am the Despot (King) of Sicily. I've never been a King vassal of an Emperor (Byzantine) though, and was expecting issues. Instead the Emperor granted me all my de jure vassals. I think I want to start an Independence faction but not really sure how to go about doing it where I don't get crushed, even though I might actually give my 18k army a shot vs Byz 30k.

Should I fabricate hooks on the strongest vassals to force them to join my Independence Faction? Mostly I've just been trying to fly under the radar and grow Sicilian culture but being able to throw the yoke of control is enticing.

e: I also meant to mention that for some reason the Emperor personally holds the Doux of Calabria, which is my de jure land, is there anyway I can persaude the emperor to give me that too? Briefly it was a vassal, when the previous owner passed I'm pretty sure succession split the titles and a prince inherited it but I couldn't move on it because he became emperor too quickly. I could also just bide my time and make a move the next time a succession occurs. Just so many options!

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 5, 2020