Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah it will be a million times easier, I think that's pretty clear just from the preview videos etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I always pick someone really small, because surely the dream is to build up your dynasty from humble beginnings. Also it just feels less overwhelming to start with a small realm and only a few vassals.

I never got the appeal of the official recommended "interesting characters" that are already powerful kings.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I'm still enjoying these but in some ways it's hard to know who the target audience is. The content is too introductory for experienced players, but they are so fast-paced and cursory that I don't think new players would find them very useful either.

I also kind of get the sense that Paradox wrote the scripts for all three streamers and they are just reading them out?

What we really need is some good streamers to just start doing normal videos.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://twitter.com/ProudBavaria/status/1297925137585582091

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Torrannor posted:

And they want specific council seats, which might not correspond to their highest stats.

Oh drat I didn't realise that. I really like having to balance stats with angry vassals when it comes to the council, but sometimes I wish there was like a second, "courtly bureaucracy" that you could just pack with your high-statted, genetically-engineered super-courtiers.

It would be cool if some buildings opened up new positions for characters. Like maybe you invest a lot of prestige and money in founding a university, and it creates a university chancellor position whose occupant gets some prestige and renown and also contributes to technology advance based on their stats. Again just trying to think of roles for characters to play outside of being landed nobles.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Torrannor posted:

Like souped up honorary titles? There were already buildings/great works that gave honorary titles, so I could see a future DLC adding something like this.

Oh yeah I guess so, but more like a permanent role for the character rather than a bonus secondary title alongside their main role (courtier, duke, etc.).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ham posted:

What the gently caress is going on here though:

4. A Perfect Circle: have only two distinct parents, grandparents, and great grandparents, counting absent ancestors as individual characters.

yeah wtf does this mean

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

orangelex44 posted:

There's literally one for just playing to the last year!

this would be the hardest achievement for me

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
looks like they were limited to about 20 minutes.

some random things from the quill18 stream:
* his character was a secret witch
* crusade mechanics
* war looks like the standard paradox chaotic whack-a-mole :(
* when the crusade was over he was given the option to switch and play as the new king of jerusalem (his cousin)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Chalks posted:

Yeah, I think the 20 minute thing is one of those youtube seo "optimal video length" things

I dunno, One Proud Bavarian does like 3 hour videos on every single dev diary, there's no way he wouldn't put out something way longer if he could...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Airspace posted:

There are at least four videos that go over 20 minutes.

sure and I mean it's not a hill I wanna die on but I still bet paradox gave them some kind of time restrictions otherwise they would've put out longer videos for sure

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The only thing I'm worried about with gamepass is mod access

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wonder if the game pass version will have the same thing as flight simulator where you can pretend to be from a pacific island and get it a day early lol

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
still a fuckin terrible name though lmao

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You need to go away, homie.

Please don't start doing this

Discussion is fine and interesting, it gives us something to talk about to pass the time

Guest's posts have been completely mild

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Chalks posted:

There's no reason to believe that they were paid on condition that they said good things about it. These people were going to do CK3 videos regardless of whether they get paid, so all this does is direct marketing budget into funding content that I enjoy which sounds great to me.

Nah man come on, don't fall for this. These videos were totally different from the from the videos they would have made if they'd just been allowed to stream as normal. None of them said anything good or bad about it at all. They didn't even really talk about mechanics. Instead we got some amateur dramatics vignettes. Which is fine but definitely a very different thing.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
ya but you can't play it

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a way to see who the successor for a mayor or bishop will be?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
noooo first crash to desktop

I was clicking the battle victory report

hope there's an autosave

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm sure there's a reason but why is it so hard to tell the AI "you are fighting a defensive war with a smaller army so just stay home and defend your capital"? They still just wander off somewhere random.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Once you form the Kingdom of Ireland shouldn't all the petty kingdoms turn into regular duchies?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The suggestions / issues widget thing is great but makes it easy to forget about the things that don't show up there. Things that don't show up but maybe should:
* You can increase crown authority
* You can ransom prisoners (I discovered the prisoners tab and realised I had like 10 children in my dungeon, sorry kids)
* You can pick an educational focus (seems like it picks one automatically based on childhood traits which is sensible)

I guess it's cool that you can pick any outfit / hairstyle you want but I think I'd rather be locked into the appropriate tier and change my outfit and crown when I rank up, as a treat. Also maybe hair / beard changes depending on the kind of life you are leading. Bet there will be a mod for this.

I hate fighting fuckin wars. I did the same thing I bet a lot of you did where I was sitting pretty in Ireland and confidently joined a crusade and then got wiped out completely. Surrounded by allies demonstrating a marked lack of crusader spirit. Although it was pretty funny seeing my ruler and his five remaining knights (literally all that was left of the army) plodding back home on their own.

My dream mod would be called something like "decisive wars" and it would work like this:
* Attacker army and all allied armies gather on the attacker rally point to form a single attacking army
* Defender army and all allied armies gather on the war goal and stay there
* Attacker army marches on the war goal
* One big battle
* The end

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think the "middle mouse button to lock a tooltip" is probably the pro choice once you get used to it

I find the little progress bar thing on the default mode distracting, and with the third mode the tooltips hang around too long

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This game causes such massive conflicts between my autistic desire for "make number go up" and my human aversion to being mean to people.

My 70 year old marshall vassal has been serving me well for decades, but there's this new kid in town with way better stats... I really wish there was a "throw retirement party" option so I can send him home gracefully to enjoy his retirement. I can't bring myself to fire him.

I also haven't done a single murder scheme yet lol

A couple of things I wish there were ticker popups for:
* When a vassal starts an internal war
* When a vassal dies

Is there any way to control / influence who your bishop is? Or does it just spawn a random character when the old one dies?

It feels weird that you still have mayor-level vassals even when you're at king and emperor level. It makes sense in terms of the title hierarchy but feels beneath an emperor to be dealing with a mayor. I guess they become mostly irrelevant at that point.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

There's also a confederate partition or something. If you have land of 3 de jure duchies/kingdoms but don't actually create those titles your 3 sons will become 3 independent dukes/kings. Titles would be created automatically.

Ahh thanks, I spent ages staring at the descriptions trying to understand the difference between Confederate Partition and Partition and now I can see why Confederate Partition would be worse in certain situations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm starting to think that going full on Lifestyle trees is a trap. There are many one point wonders in every tree, and you can easily get 2 in a 5-6 year period even without education traits:

- Dip into Strategist and grab -50% CB cost and +15% speed.
- Overseer has +15 dread and some extra control as first perk, which is nice and has synergies with other things.
- For example, the Stewardship - Avaricious tree that can get you -50% cost of Men at Arms with high Dread for 3 perks. Golden obligations is a nice source of money if you're a Schemer.
- For a single point in Administrator you get the Claim Throne Casus Belli, which can be useful sometimes.
- The Schemer tree is all around great, but even the first one, Truth is Relative, is very useful.
- Like weeds in a Garden is a +30% fertility, for a single Intrigue point.
- 2 points in Torturer makes the Torture action "free" and a very easy way to get 100 Dread. 6 and you get +15-30% income from most of your vassals.
- Learning trees seem more tail-heavy, Learn on the Job is a big stat increase but requires 7 points, and the other trees are pretty situational.

but my roleplaying

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Zeron posted:

The x more for interactions is annoying and could be adjusted to shove only interactions you currently can't do in there.

I'd like some kind of log, some of the messages just go by too fast/when you are too busy to look.

Really agree with both of these

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Communist Bear posted:

If he's served that well and loyally then change him, but give him a landed title as a gesture of goodwill toward his servitude? That way you offset any upset he has and you have a loyal vassal?

He's already a powerful vassal but I guess I could give him a gift of gold as a retirement present if I really want to commit to the roleplaying thing

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mr Scumbag posted:

I never figured out how to play CKII and I can't figure out how to play this one.

The devs linked to some "instructional" videos from a community-darling CK streamer that everyone immediately gushed over or course, but the videos go at a billion miles an hour, seem super surface-level and are clearly made for fanboys of said streamer who already know how to play.

Wait a bit and some streamers will put out proper tutorial videos. I bet Quill18 will do a decent one.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wonder if there's any limit to how many 3D models the game can display at once

How cool would it be if you could bring up a screen with all your immediate family gathered around, maybe with different expressions depending on how harmonious everyone is feeling.

Or a view of all your council, or all your knights...

It would look really cool but would also help with remembering characters.

edit: oh I just realised the council screen already uses 3D portraits, that's cool and shows it's possible to have a bunch on screen at once.

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 4, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wish you could rename kids, especially kids you didn't name in the first place. I know it's not realistic but after the 10th Brian in a row...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Oh dear me posted:

It's not quite what you want but I'll mention it because it took me ages to notice - when you're at a feast there's a little button for it on the map, and clicking it shows all the feasters round the table.

woah that sounds really cool, I totally missed that

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

JosefStalinator posted:

I swear I found it earlier but can't find it again - is there a way to see which religions control x amount of counties, like the old ledgers?

Religion screen > "other faiths" at the top right

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there any point in increasing the size of siege units? From the stats it looks like they have the same effect on siege progress at any size.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress sake just lost a war because I didn't notice that the enemy's tiny army was sieging my capital

can someone who knows how to mod please mod the AI to defend the war goal instead of immediately sailing to my capital

and mod in a notification for when your capital is under siege

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
have we figured out education yet?

I sent four kids off as wards to foreign rulers with insane stats that matched the education focus, and they call came back decidedly mediocre.

Is it maybe better to find a "genius", even if the traits don't match?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
really wish the "chance of children" text had a tooltip showing the modifiers. So often it's "none" and I have no idea why.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
hmm I was waiting to play again until 1.1 and I was also gonna install some mods for the first time but I've just realised that some of the mods might need updating for 1.1 so guess I better hold off another week or so. The paradox gamer's lament.

Also I was playing the game pass version but I guess I better just buy the steam version to make mods easier.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

PancakeTransmission posted:

but holy poo poo is it annoying to have 4 different events pop up mid-war when you're trying to siege a place down or chase down a troop stack that has slightly higher movement speed than you.

would love a mod that just goes through a bunch of events and tags them to not fire while the player is at war.

I'd also like a mod that changes event chains to just fire directly one after the other rather than wait for like 2-3 days between events. Currently the delay is not long enough to get involved in something else, but just long enough to be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
When you get deposed are you supposed to lose the title AND start playing as your heir?

I knew the first thing would happen but wasn't expecting the second. Now my old ruler is just sitting around the court in the prime of his life while I play as his infant son.