Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think that there might be an issue with Norse rulers. I've seen so many maps (and experienced in the game myself) where norse rulers are conquering absolutely random parts of Catholic Europe.
While I get that they should be far ranging and raiding and stuff the norse conquering Avignon or always ALWAYS taking Ireland.

I'm not saying it's bad definitely but I do feel like it shouldn't be working this way, like maybe they've accidentally set something somewhere that's making the norse extra conquery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats pretty much what they did in actual history though. Including places in the Mediterranean.

They raided them. Things like the siege of lisbon, sure.
But sweden annexing the north of france or denmark conquering sicily isn't really the same as the way the norse raiders/mercs settled the areas they did, you know?

Like the Danelaw isn't part of Denmark in reality, even though later Danish kings ruled england.

Do you get me? I feel like it's trying to replicate the things I've mentioned but doing it in a weird way. And it's not a massive deal or anything but it does kinda gently caress up some places when they're trying to spread their wings so wide. Sweden costs 750 prestige to bring into a fight with you but they're not there because they're busy defending Tangiers against Umayadd or whatever.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 5, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

The Vikings tended to raid and settle, though not necessarily in large numbers. We tend to think of colonization in terms of the founding of America, but it seemed a little less clear cut with the Vikings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_expansion

"In the 9th and 10th centuries, the Vikings raided the largely defenceless Frisian and Frankish towns lying on the coast and along the rivers of the Low Countries. Although Vikings never settled in large numbers in those areas, they did set up long-term bases and were even acknowledged as lords in a few cases."

Yea as I said I think that's sort of what it's trying to emulate but the viking settlement in northern france, the netherlands, Ireland and Britain isn't the same as just "sweden now owns amsterdam"
So far they've kept their stuff quite well in my games, I dunno.

It's well known (at least in the UK) that a lot of settlements are viking founded but that doesn't mean they were part of an overall nation, they're just settlers. York wasn't part of Norway, Dublin wasn't, Waterford wasn't. But they were founded by adventuring vikings still.
The game can display that but I think that the norse are a bit hosed up just right now.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 5, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

YorexTheMad posted:

Here's one I can't explain.

My Italia ruler dies and play passes to my heir. I try to educate my new ruler's heir, only to find out she's alone up in some bumfuck county in Bavaria. I can't interact with her since she's in someone else's court, I can't invite her back since she's a minor. How the hell did she get there and how do I get her back to educate her?

I've just lost an ironman game because of this happening. My heir's heir was the concubine of a guy in Lappland. No idea why she was. And when she returned to me she STILL was his concubine - and it didn't tell me that, I only worked it out because of an event about him sneaking out of bed.
It meant I couldn't get any heirs, so when she died I lost.

I really don't get why she'd gone to that court, how she got to that court. All I can think is that her mum ran there and took her along?

But the game really shouldn't let your heirs gently caress off to other courts because it happens waaay too much.

I guess it's possible they get captured in raids then get made a concubine? But it's very unfair that there's fuckall you can do about it, even when your queen is a concubine!

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 9, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Can the AI pagans reform?

Reforming is really hard now so I've only at least seen the far eastern pagans reform

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For the UI I'd really like that when I click on "a faction has been formed!" it'd actually take me to the factions screen.
Just stuff like that, mostly little but surely not too hard to fix?

Also make it so when I declare war it doesn't include allies in the troop totals, it just says "here's you, here's them." and then "Here's them, with allies, you with allies".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wooper posted:

The easiest to reform is Donyi-Poloism.
Two of the Holy Sites is in the starting duchy of the Dayzul tribe, and a third is in a neighboring county. You're the only tribal in the area so your armies will be bigger than any competition.

A fourth Holy Site is in the same kingdom and the fifth in a neighboring county again.

With the Lithuanian faith (that was called Romuva but now I can never remember the name) it's quite easy to reform in theory because all the holy sites are nice and close to you but getting to the right level of faith without collapsing is really drat hard considering who you neighbour.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I finally got to Feudal as a reformed Vidilist Lithuania today, it's 1039.
God it loving sucks swapping over. You're suddenly insanely poor (because your men at arms no longer use prestige) and you lose all your buildings.

I've gone from 30k troops to about 4k. Which I can't afford to keep actually mustered because it costs a loving fortune - and I don't make any money because I've only got one county since I'm still confederate partition since I need a tech and loving high crown authority to swap it.

God why make it such a huge, huge, huge arse? It's ENOUGH of an arse without it absolutely loving me over as well!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man I'm working right now but I am also constantly distracted thinking about my triple bind of only having 2500 gold pre-feudalizing , my vassals feudalizing on their own, and the potential for the Byzantines to Crusade against me ticking up by the month lol

Yea I have no idea how much I had when I swapped but I know by the time the dust had settled I was down to -900. Lovely.
I've effectively gone from one of the largest world powers to one of the weakest ones!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

My feudalised Lithuania crashed while autosaving this morning and I lost it. Tried everything but the save was corrupted and not available anywhere else.
Well, that loving sucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chakan posted:

Just dropping in with a little reminder that Percentages Aren't Real. If, say, you have a ruler die to a 22% chance boar attack during a hunt then 75 years later his great-grandson gets the same event you CANNOT say "well, a 9% chance of dying isn't too bad." Instead you must say "ah well, on to the next character" and accept that he is already dead before clicking the button. Some might argue that a 22% followed by a 9% will happen about one in every 50 times, unusual but nothing to write home about. Those people are charlatans who do not understand math. If you roll a d% twice and the first number is under 23, the second number will ALWAYS be under 10, without fail.

I had two rulers with education focus and it still took till 1000 before I was able to switch to feudalism. Should've caught up on the thread to see that my paltry 1400 gold wouldn't be anywhere near enough, though. Now I'm in economic mode building farms all across my demesne and preparing for 50 years of catch-up.

All of those things will vanish the moment you change. It's broken, it SURELY shouldn't gently caress you like it does.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm doing my first serious playthrough with the kinngdom of Leon and it's been pretty good so far, your starting king is pretty good at intrigue so I've been having a blast scheming and murdering my way across the Iberian peninsula.

I just wish the game notified you in some way that your king has an incestuous affair with his sister (and heir) before she gets (repeatedly) pregnant with your children.

It does tell you but this is how he starts out, because it's (probably) what he was doing in real life.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sekenr posted:

I thought there were 2 autosaves? Look for a save called oldautosave, it should be from previous year

I'm playing Ironman, there are no other saves for sure. I went into the folders listed and it was just the one (the corrupt one)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Davincie posted:

are you using cloud saves? those are seriously bugged! paradox is aware of it though

Unfortunately yea I am.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I absolutely hate that it creates kingdoms and spins them out as independent when you die on Confederate Partition. It kinda ruins the game for me and while I know there are some extremely gamey ways around it I just wish it was like CK2 and didn't exist.
Especially down in Africa where there's a kingdom every few steps so you have to either try and weave your way around creating them by accident OR rush and rush to get to the emperor title before you die.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

It's not really new, tribal gavelkind worked the same way in CK2. You should get claims on any title that leaves your realm, so get to work killing your siblings. There can only be one

It didn't. The big difference (the game spoiling difference for me) is that in CK2 if you didn't make the title then nobody could inherit it.
So you'd be able to keep hold of most stuff, you couldn't directly rule stuff most of the time but you'd be okay.

You can't do that in this as it just creates the title and hands it out. Also in CK2 changing the laws wasn't quite as much of a struggle!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

strong bird posted:

if you type 'yesmen' into the console and press enter the AI will always do what you say so you can just declare war and then press claims. should be faster than cheesing the game and manipulating bad design and AI

I'm playing Ironman otherwise I just cheat everything and playing becomes a total waste of time.
All I want to do is stop this random woman inheriting the kingdom of Mali (as that's a HUGE one and a big chunk of land) because she doesn't seem particularly related to me at all and if I kill a bunch of people I can't get it back without actual warring.

Like I have my two sons who I can just disinherit, that's fine. But confederate partition doesn't just give it to your direct relations it goes right down the tree - this lady is a cousin of my current ruler apparently.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

It was restricted to tribes, but in CK2 this is absolutely how tribal gavelkind worked. It created titles even if they didn't exist yet. The solution is still the same though, declare on your brothers and take your poo poo back!

TBH I always kinda liked it, because it means succession isn't just some automatic, polite legal proceeding, you've gotta wage a proper succession war if you want what's yours

It definitely didn't, because I always played as tribes! It only gave out titles you'd created.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

super-redguy posted:

It only happened if you used the elective gavelkind law. Regular gavelkind as a tribal would give the same result as feudals, yeah.

A lot of tribals started with elective gavelkind, so I can see why they were confused.

The biggest shame is that lithuanian tribals had a special law where elders voted for their successors. So you didn't have gavelkind at all!
That's gone now though.

I think it'd bother me less if it wasn't such an ENORMOUS ballache to swap out of. It's not just (and I say just even though it's hard) a case of reform religion, reform to feudal now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Has anyone else noticed that if you ransom someone for less than the full amount (say they can only afford 20 of 50) the person gets freed with no payment whatsoever?
It's so annoying!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TyrsHTML posted:

I'm pretty sure I have also ransomed someone for the full amount but the ai spent the money or something and paid me nothing. I think ransoms are a little broken.

I've been paying careful attention and as far as I can see it only happens if it's a partial amount. Maybe full amounts can put the AI into debt but partial ones can't?
As a tribal I am always constantly poor so those ransoms matter a lot to me and it's easier to notice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

I just tested with a partial amount (106/200), and as far as I could see, it transferred correctly.

It happens to me literally every time that when you get the event to say the ransom is being paid the actual amount that shows is 0. Literally every time.
This is true of being Poland, Lithuania and also of being Mali.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/5vtxFtE
https://imgur.com/a/N0qKmMy

Yea it is a good deal you bastards

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

You did seem to get some money from somewhere between the screenshots though. Maybe it's just an UI bug?

Yea I ransomed someone else, it's not a UI bug for sure because clicking the event is what gives you the money.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

When your ruler gets really old (mine's 84 now) their succession gets insane because the AI is so bad at doing the right sorta marriages.
My heir became my great-great-great grandson who was a different dynasty so I had to imprison and murder him. It's not a HUGE deal I guess but it's still a pain.

drat you totally unchangeable confederate partition.

My newest ruler also has some kids who have gone off and had poo poo marriages so I really hope they never get in line to inherit especially since she's too far away for me to interact with.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 14, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zero One posted:

CK3: I had to murder my great-great-great grandson, it's not a HUGE deal

Three of them actually!

I'm at a point where my direct heir is a woman but she's in her second non-matrilineal marriage and she's too far away to interact with so I can't even disinherit her. It's so frustrating, I feel like in reality some random woman in the lithuanian court wouldn't ever be your heir

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's so loving annoying that every time I come to play my heir their heir is off in some other court and is a different religion or different culture.
Yea I know you can swap back but I just wish it wouldn't happen quite so often.

Especially since you can only disinherit people who're actually in your court.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's annoying me that heirs leave your court. Not my heir specifically - but my heir's heir.
Since rulers tend to live for ages my kids will have kids. And that kid will go somewhere else and by the time they inherit they're always a different culture/religion.

Sometimes they go somewhere that I can't interact with and get non-matrilineally married as well which is extra frustrating.

It's literally happened to all of my heirs now and yea I know you can convert relatively quickly back but if I don't have 300 prestige or if I inherit during a war it's loving annoying as hell! The amount of games I've had to abandon because of it makes me not want to use Equal Gender Roles at all because the AI doesn't take it into account when my heir's heir moves to Lithuania or whatever.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 19, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I hope a patch sorts out confederate partition. Or just partition generally.
It makes it so hard to play as a tribe and feudalising/changing stuff takes so long that it's just a game of whackamole when your guy dies because you've got no actual powerbase so therefore no troops.

It's so boring. I've been the empire of mali for like 250 years and I still spend ages faffing around because I can only ever hold onto my capital. Giving my brother 3 provinces and me keeping two (and yes, the main title) seemed like it'd be fine but nope, he now owns my only other county as well.

It's funny looking at my feudal vassal tithes and stuff where they're earning 10 gold so I get 0.1 or etc. It just seems ridiculous at this point. Why does nobody other than heads of religion ever have any money?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

And as I've said earlier in this thread. Giving your secondary heirs a duchy usually keeps them complacent.

I gave him a dutchy. He still got my other county and the three counties in the duchy I gave.

And being a tribe is hard as nails if you take into account that you can't get above a certain size or it starts actually chopping up your nation when you die. I know many people play "as the character" but I don't, I'm the country and losing territory is basically "Might as well not play" levels for me really.
I kinda feel like becoming Feudal should be rewarded more than it currently is. I basically want to be able to shed Confederate Partition as early as you can in CK2, instead of it taking hundreds of years.

That said I only want to get rid of it so I can actually hold onto more than one county since it's such a HUGE part of how strong you actually are. My enormous empire gives me about 3 gold and my personal demense of one county gives me 8.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ulmont posted:

As a feudal you can have fun by bee lining a king title and then making sure all of your kingdoms have the same succession law (I like tanistry but I’m sure Scandinavian election or Saxon election could work). Keeps the top titles intact and then each new king grows their own domain.

I know how it works. I just don't like how it works.
I know I can look at the succession but a lot of the time there's gently caress all I can do about it. Actually directly holding counties means so much right now (which is why the north korea thing works) and it's an arse to have it be so hard.

I hope they have a really hard look at people converting culture/religion for this patch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I can't believe how much the tweaks have improved the tribal-feudal swap for me.
The "I liked your parent" mod means when a ruler dies I'm not IMMEDIATELY plunged into infinite civil wars and if nothing else that makes a gigantic difference.

Also I'm surprised how much the UI changed. None of it is bad, I'm just...surprised.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is the Western Empire also a separate historical title with its own emperors past the split?

Can you even find out? You can't really trace it as easily as going back with Byzantine.

Here's a question that someone might be able to answer. In CK2 you can send your chaplain to go and convert unreformed pagans. Can you not do that any more? I'd love to make Astaru britain turn Bidaic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Whorelord posted:

Don't believe so. It's a shame, when you had someone that hated you getting them to go off and convert pagans was always a win/win situation because if they refused to be convert they'd imprison/sacrifice them. That said I have seen quite a few pagans convert of their own accord to neighbouring organised faiths.

It's a shame because it made some fun ahistorical stuff - like making Russia Miasphyte or Muslim finland, that sorta thing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is Insular considered merely "Hostile" with everyone? I've definitely seen a ton of Hindi, Muslim, and Tengri people I can marry lately.

The game seems to see anyone who isn't christian or muslim as one gigantic religion, I can marry so many different religions as Bidiac that it's pretty wild.

Also trying to win a holy war when someone's capital is far away absolutely sucks - I killed army after army after ARMY and took all the territory but getting to their capital without starving was so much bother eventually I just surrendered because it was too much work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think I've seen marriage offers from the AI, period.

Same

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wish lovely peasant factions were a separate tab from actual factions that matter, it's really frustrating to discover one of these ten ones is something actually bad that's going to gently caress me and it's too late to do anything about it

It's also just...stupid that my vassals have literally identical numbers of troops to me. I know that's a thing in CK2 as well but it feels so utterly ridiculous as an empire that covers all of west and north africa as well as most of sicily to go to war with the duke of beneveneto and have him with MORE troops than me. Yes I'm upgrading my buildings and hiring men at arms and all that this isn't me not knowing what to do it's just annoying me that's all.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 1, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I would even say once you understand the systems that CK3 is easier than CK2 at the moment.

I just don't know how this is possible. At least the way I play (starting as a tribal and building up) is so SO much loving harder now and you can lose a whole game because of a faction or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

I'm not exactly running wild in my own games, but the players/streamers I pay attention to are in agreement that the game is so easy it's almost a problem, because it's hard for them to find ways to make "just a game of CK3" interesting and they have to do either off-the-wall or clearly suboptimal stuff.

Then I must really loving suck. I had the entire of west africa, north africa and some of Italy and I'm still only fielding like 10k troops.
I used to play Ironman Ck2 and this definitely feels harder going Tribal - Feudal.

But I'm not messing with the hooks system beyond just side bits and as a non-catholic ruler I'm always suffering from having loving no money at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For the first time Spain in my game was being conquered by christians - Galicia, Navarre and Asturias really kicking down into the centre of Iberia.
Then they did a war for the kingdom and took loads of territory! I was so impressed.

And then the king of Galicia (who had absorbed the other two) converted to islam.

The religion stuff really needs sorting. Catholics collapsing every single game is just sorta bizarre at this point.