Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Somehow my vassals have a tiny bit of Armenia (I'm the HRE) and now all my loving marriage list is packed with people in India
So I can't use any of the shuffles because "most powerful alliance" (and relevant, for some reason) has nobody near me. It's so frustrating!

I really, really, really wish there was a button I could click on my vassals that would just try and arrange a marriage with them that'll give me an alliance. Going through them all to find one that'll work loving sucks poo poo

Also had a weird thing where the king of bavaria generated an extremely dark skinned indian buddhist with a very long title as his partner. There's now way he's close enough to interact with indian rulers - is there an event that gives someone like this? It is cool that all her descendents are black though, like it makes it so much clearer that "this noble is descended from a person 200 years ago"

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

binge crotching posted:

These are related. Because your realm has access to India, everyone within your realm does too.

If it's easier, you can also just choose 'adopt faith' on your attacker's diplomacy menu, which will convert you and stop the holy war. It might be better to convert instead of surrendering, depending upon how big each religion is, and how much land you have.

She appeared before we got that bit of armenia, it felt like she was an event lady

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm the HRE and I had shitloads of piety and wanted the rest of Italy so I pushed out the pope. He still had Djerba on the north african coast, but he was gone from Italy.
After I did that, I founded my own Christian religion with no head of faith.

Then I went to North Africa (I'm gonna mend the Schism gently caress it) and conquered the kingdom of Africa, then took Djerba. It made the pope my vassal. And now he follows the laws of my religion, even though he's a Catholic - which means he's married now (to his sister??). He even declared a crusade on me, as my vassal.
loving weird as hell. I can't get rid of him either, maybe when I mend the schism he'll gently caress off?

Moreau posted:

Can you swear fealty? You could do all sorts of wonderful things inside the caliphate

If not, then its basically build a large coalition; build up your cash reserves; and attack when they are at war with someone else. Do enough damage to their military and the internal revolts start to kick off - so sometimes its worth it to drag a war out so you can beat up their armies more.

If you keep assassinating until they're a kid their allies/levies will be pretty poo poo too

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

iirc the Papacy is a landless title with its own succession system. It might be literally impossible to remove the pope without a Decision.

edit: vvv Yup, that's what happens.

it just seems insane my own vassal declaring a crusade on me, that's all

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

That happened to me as well, but there weren't enough Christians left to get the crusade started. I wonder what happens when the Pope's the last sole Christian left on the planet. Will he still attempt to start crusades against me?

He's my vassal forever now. I mended the schism and he's still loving there. I can't unland him, it just straight up won't let me
I guess I'll have to give him independence then attack him to get rid.

After mending the schism there are no catholic rulers left which is nice

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Sometimes there’s a decision to dismantle the papacy. Maybe it’s not firing for you since you’re still a Christian religion? But no pope means no crusades, which is nice. I don’t miss getting crusaded by only the pope who has 1500 troops and no place to raise them so the crusade only ends when “defender controls war target” ticks up to 100% after several years.

I assume Catholics can't call crusades when the Schism is mended? Maybe not. Yea he's only got about 600 troops so he's hosed. Independence/holy war seems my best bet anyway.

One thing I really miss from CK2 is that I can't convert unreformed pagans any more. It's sorta a shame that it's 1380 in my game now and the Scandinavians are STILL astaru for example

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea it's extremely hard to spread a new culture
I've managed to get a chunk of germany made into mine and some random places and also my vassals DON'T seem to change to the local culture if I make them my own, which is nice. Like the Kings of England have been my culture the whole game - but they've never made any of england that same culture. No idea why

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Canopus250 posted:

Oh, I had the opposite experience. My capital and provinces centered around Cordoba/Sevilla/Granada flipped (but also never a whole duchy), and all of the Andalusian/Occitan mess across Aquitaine stayed exactly the same.

I didn't expect it to flip everywhere, but in reality it was super underwhelming. This whole run has really pointed out that the AI seems to make zero attempt to convert cultures at all.

It does a bit. In like 950 in my game Welsh-Irish and Welsh-Mercian got created by the AI
And they HAVE spread it a bit. Most of wales and now a bit of Ireland is converted

That said my culture has only spread by me spreading it even though nearly every ruler is my culture. It's definitely "off".

I still think it's less of a pain than the AI still being unreformed Pagan in 1370 or something because you just have no way of trying to convert pagan rulers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

Is culture really *supposed* to spread, instead of just being accepted? It's largely a local populace thing and so I can imagine that it's less about changing everyone within a generation like religion does and more about cultural acceptance.

It does however put a weird vice on traditions that are land/terrain based instead of realm based. Bonuses to castles don't mean much when only a quarter of your realm has that tradition, but meanwhile another tradition might give +knight effectiveness, which afaik is based on the ruler and not the knight.

Yea I think it's meant to - I mean 90% of the cultures on the map at game start no longer exist, so new stuff is meant to spread to replace them.
At least to me that seemed like the point of the new culture stuff!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I kinda think I hate the artifact system. I absolutely 100% do not care if I've got 80 artifacts that are just sat in my inventory totally unused and 22 of them are about to break, it's really loving tedious
Gimme a button to just fix them all or even just throw them all away!

I think it's okay early game but it quickly snowballs into just being very annoying

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Than you might lose the ones you do care about too

I like the artifact system somewhat but the UI and the amount of random people demanding them from you for ??? reasons is really very annoying

CK3 is really in need of a UI overhaul, a lot of stuff is wrong or missing imo

Yea I just have no loving clue which are the ones I have and which aren't. I've lost a few because I didn't realise I was using them. Although the bonuses and stuff feel low and don't really matter anyway so I don't care loads.

The most annoying thing for me in CK3 is the time is at the bottom right instead of the top right. I'm ALWAYS getting lost finding what month/year it is and if the goddamn game is paused (because notifications cover the pause thing)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

Just to be clear, this requires an Empire (to be higher than the titular Papacy), the Romanga Kingdom to be upsurped, and a duchy claim on his last lands in said duchy? It wouldn't work when claiming his counties as you just take them for your own domain, and it... still doesn't work if he has county-level titles outside of the duchy claim?

Sorry for being pedantic but it's an Ironman game and I'm *very* good at loving these things up. Also I still kinda squint at how the Papacy title fits into all of this but whatever, it's all Greek to me (ba-dum-ching)

Yes you need to claim de jure land and be an empire
Pope became my vassal because he only owned Djerba and I had a claim to it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

I've found that the best way to keep my artifact list in order is to handle them as soon as I get a new one. I give out weapons and armor to my knights, try to make sure my heirs have prestige/renown-boosting armor, crowns, and regalia, hand out some court artifacts to fellow dynasty members I set up as independent realms, or swap them in for the event where an inspired character uses an artifact from your court to increase the quality of their work. It's a bit of a hassle, but it's been working pretty well.

It's also helpful for certain events if you give someone with an adventure inspiration some prowess-boosting artifacts.

It's just WAY too much loving aggro for not enough gain
Vastly reduce the amount of artifacts and make them more special

Honestly if they took out the royal court itself and just had the culture stuff I think it'd improve the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I got the "win the iberian struggle aggressively" achievement and it's only 0.7% even though essentially it's just "conquer Iberia". Man.

Also they really need to loving sort the AI out. It's been too long now where kingdoms/empires are mega unstable and I really blame the partition laws. This doesn't apply to the Byzantines who are always fine but if I start in the earliest start date the likelyhood of ANY other AI empires existing other than the byzantines by say 1200 is super mega low. I had a Francia once, I think - and even then only because I helped them out.
It feels like this started whenever it was that they fixed the "sweden/gardariki conquers the world" problem early days of the game

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 29, 2022