Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello thread!

Disinherit has it's merits in that it's an instant action that incurs no tyranny. Also, partition sometimes does odd black magic stuff so I wouldn't blame anyone doing an Ironman run for not risking handing out all their titles to only see things get fudged up. 150 a head isn't all that expensive if you only have to do it twice and your next dynasty upgrade costs 2.5k. It's not as if anyone wants to marry those fundie kids anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mister Olympus posted:

A random comment on Steam says that War Elephants have siege value, but I can't find this backed up anywhere. Is it true? If so, where is it described in-game?

Trial and error via taking an elephant to a siege?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've got Ultimogeniture, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to nominate a grandkid as heir? I know I can't skip a generation, but doing a trial-save-scumm and executing the dad and/or mum only results in less heir options, rather than the grandkids being presented in their parent's place. Help?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

No Pants posted:

If you have the heir designation law, you can only designate one of your immediate children as your heir.

Thanks guys, this ended up being the issue after closer inspection. 40+ grandkids, but could only pick a single generation down. Still better than ck2 where I'd just have to kill them all!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I downloaded a mod which shows some extra info such a weight etc, and it disturbingly only show fertility up to 100%, implying that there's a cap. Have I misunderstood the mechanic? I've really been prioritizing that attribute for heirs/spouses.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I see tons of tiny independent delicious morsels all the time, nestled between the bigger blobs of war targets. I'd fully assume its exclave doing its thing, but I don't really think about it and just eat the poor 600 levie saps.

Just confirming: There's basically no way to get someone arbitrary out of jail, there has to be some sort of preexisting condition like family or vassal to request ransom?

And as a open topic, what lifestyle trees are better/worse than they appear? I know the pro play is to dabble into the strong picks at the start of each tree, but then every character ends up being the same. I've found Seduction to be total overkill, Patriarchy to be low-key amazing for stress relief in addition to it's stats and stability, but a lot of trees feel kind 'bleh' until there's a lightbulb moment which I may have missed when I tried them that one time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"Improves your councilor tasks by 20%" Wait what? Also elaborate on ignoring dev penalties. ...Do friends/lovers in the council work harder than equally loyal non-friends?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That... really needs to be mentioned somewhere in the tutorial.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
While we're on the topic, is there a 'right' way to blend MAA? I've been using an even blend of everything with cultural uniques substituted where appropriate, but I'm wondering about the practicality of going like almost-pure heavy cav with some anti-pikemen stuff in order to fit a pimp squad under the supply limits. The penalties for getting countered are pretty severe and I'm not 100% sure of the countering mechanics/numbers. Assume I'm not doing anything dramatic like stacking 10 duchy buildings in support of this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So yea, in my particular case I'm English, have Huscarls and Longbowmen in the late medieval, have gold pouring out of my ears and am seriously considering sacking 4-5 stacks of size-12 MAA in order to build a MAA-only unit that can fit under supply limits for lategame roaming vs non-threats who can still field 30k levies. The buildings I've been making support all unit types relatively equally (apart from duchies, which I'm not trying to cheese with), so I'm just kinda squinting and wondering "If I have 5k heavy cav, and 3.5k huscarls, exactly how likely am I to get turbo-hosed by walking into hilly terrain vs light infantry?" It's a lot of gold to disband everything and recruit multiple size-17 stacks of heavy cav...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That first link is immensely useful, thank you! Smaller stacks pulling extra weight for countering makes the all-knight idea sound less dumb, will give it a go.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The first thing I noticed when I fired up my Duke of Munu tutorial game is that the HRE was strangely not impossibly huge (in terms of levies) compared to where I was. I think I exceeded him around the time I unified Ireland, long before finishing Britain. Was unsure if I'm just more used to the game than I was when I tried out ck2, or if something funny was happening.

Well, like 200 years later I finally bothered to take kingdom of Germany off of him, and the largest duke's vassal contract was... something else. No screenshots, but it was ZERO levies+taxes (both!) with council seats guaranteed and title revocation protection. Mother. Fucker.

Basically I see this all the goddamn time, every vassal contract that I've not made myself but inherited from the AI tends to be a giant loving mess. It's subtle, but I'm pretty confident that it's one of the major factors in why the top level empires (Byzantium included) tend to be such wusses instead of terrifying neighbors.

edit: I'm actually thinking that this is probably rampant with your own dukes as well, they're letting random idiot counts get hooks on them and it's just not visible as human players probably tend to land new people as they grow upwards.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 13, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pacifying unruly seems really easy this time around, maybe because of the dread mechanics? I know in ck2 getting vassals to love you was a very very big deal as it affected taxes/levies, and it seemed like they loved to uprise given any chance. But now between hooks, dread, and other crap it seems the vassals never really get off the ground. I can have most of my empire at -100 during a child succession and nobody lifts a finger. Peasant revolts and Crusades are a very different beast and are basically all the defensive wars I seem to wage.

I've been using Partition all game and it's been doing its thing, but in hindsight maybe letting the dukes consolodate would let them actually pay decent taxes, and maybe slow the border gore? I dno.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone ever run into this before? Maybe some madness related to standing to lose my primary title in the election? I hate that I can't land my daughters even when they're set to inherit.

It looks like inheritance is working correctly, it's just that you'll assume control of a minor character. Any reason why the middle daughter would be ineligible for player control? Dynasty, inheriting republics/bishopries, etc?

edit: whoops too late. Yea it REALLY sounds like the middle daughter inherited a duke-level title that took precedence (ie her primary title) and wasn't something the player is allowed to be.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 14, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Nah she was absolutely eligible to be a player character (based on the fact that if I created a Kingdom level title she would instantly become my Player Heir). I think it's a bug related to losing my primary title in the election.

If you have an ineligible title, but also have something above it, you'll just get the whole 'holding disabled' warning as you're the wrong type. The title above it keep you in feudal while the city/church goes inactive, and there are duchy-level city/church titles.

There may have been something else going on, but what you've described is consistent with the above.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there like, any way to dodge that bankrupt by destroying your title and commuting suicide and reconquering everything as your not-broke heir?

edit:vv Oh thank god. Yea, go kill yourself mate, it's for everyone's benefit.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Depending on how Catholic you are, Fab claims is often the only way to expand while you wait for succession/assassination plots to fire off.
Integrate title is for de Jure drift - basically, over the course of centuries neighboring territories that you rule will slowly swap who their de Jure liege is. When you select the Chancellor task for it it'll highlight which ones are currently drifting towards you, and you can try to speed it up. Seems niche.
Organize levies is good for pushing down factions - if they're barely able to be a threat and tick up discontent, getting an extra 20% levies can pop them back under the limit. Also for when recovering after suffering huge losses during a war.
Find Secrets is solid to get strong hooks on your vassals etc; imo it's always worth finding all your court's secrets before moving on to other things. If you where ever try out intrigue, it's also very good for setting up groundwork before you dive in; eg when you have a child ruler no longer at risk of assassination, getting 10 years of intel before the scheming starts makes things much easier.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

I wonder if it still gives you duplicate sections of the tree if you get sufficient levels of cousin marriage going on...

*looks around awkwardly* Uhhh, I've heard that it might still do that, yea?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Levies cost gold to keep raised, just like MAA. They'll also eventually fight at -30 advantage as they'll always be above the supply cap, and may or may not be a contributing factor to the 'aggressive war' opinion debuff like they did in ck2. After a certain point it makes sense to only raise enough to win the war, and elite squad who can sit under the supply max can sometimes do that solo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think for that last bit, empirically Levie padding for MAA is a good thing; if there's a large disparity in stack sizes and the fight isn't a total stomp, the attrition of losses will mean that the smaller stack almost immediately starts dealing reduced dmg as it takes casualties while the bigger stack just pulls more warm bodies in.

There's some crazy hypotheticals edge cases, but in practice quickly merging a pile of (non-supply-depleted) levies just before a fight is never going to hurt you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, the AI won't oppose/uprise against friends, same as if you had a strong hook or they where terrified of you. That, with some other guys saying how your fiends work 20% harder on the council, kinda makes friendship the ultimate force in the ck3 universe.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You can only get crusades called on you if you're not Catholic!

English is actually really good to defend as everyone disembarks piecemeal and half-starved. Those malus' add up! But with only 10k total units vs all of Catholic Europe you might be in the hole there, mate.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that is probably more accurate than you think. Unless there is like a historical bloodfued I doubt a nobleman could realistically take war personally or they would have no one left

I had a lover that spontaneously generated as a Rival. We still had positive rep. That would have been some [i]very/i] spicy bed play...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I've got a question about that one, other people's temper tantrums seem to lower your stress regardless of your traits. I thought it was sadistic etc but then got a all-virtue character who also get stress loss from it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

alcaras posted:

Separately, would be curious to hear folks’ thoughts on Religious tenets and doctrines. Which are ones y’all would recommend picking up?

There's a lot of talk on the net that can be found googling for it, and it's mostly on point imo.

My takes:
-I did Lay Clergy + Head of Faith + Communion. You crown yourself King-Pope and everyone who follows your religion throws money at you like mad. It's a hidden income of several hundred gold per month, it's nuts and breaks everything. Would not recommend unless you feel like winning, by a lot.
-A more tame version is Spiritual clergy, so you can have a pet Pop and your chaplain hands over all the gold from temples in the realm. It's balanced!
-Inbreeding things: Divine Marriage does almost nothing, Carnal Communion (sic?) is funny and gives a *lot* of fertility via double-dipping for each gender, but probably isn't worth it. Polyamory lets you have 50 lovers without dramas. Also you get infinite heirs, which can be set to auto-de-bastardization. Makes life easy, would recommend. Concubines give heirs and lets you do stuff like abduct married people. Extra spouses is just more alliances with more headaches.
-Pursuit of Power is just an extra set of holy wars, and that's GREAT.
-Make sure you get your religion right the first time around. Its a huge pain the arse dealing with converting everyone down the to count level (not to mention the holy wars and crusades...), and if you can't afford everything you want then don't do it. Just make your next heir get the -50%(multiplicative) religion founding perk. Note that other -% piety things stack additively, if you see some pre-existing religion you like it's possible to convert for effectively 0 piety.
-Your holy sites inherit from the religion you left.
-I'd probably recommend something fun and role-playish, if you're rolling your own. You don't need to be optimal about it, as by the time you can roll your own and not instantly die to a crusade the game's mostly in the bag.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
-50% Tyranny Gain and not *having* to be at war? But also PoP can be taken by Cristians while Warmonger can't, I think is the main thrust of it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean starting 90% through the race with the ruler designer makes things easier, sure. Actually starting with a no-trait historical character will take a long, long time until you can qualify for strengthened blood with the player character, and everything after that is cake.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Veryslightlymad posted:

I know you're largely joking, but if it's programming intensive enough that they'd need to charge for it, I will gladly windmill slam the buy button.

'Customize this bitmap' is not really a complex feature.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Demanding the AI hedge its bets seems like a reasonable thing if you assume the AI won't be able to fully leverage specialization (aka own 4+ duchies for 600 years) and that human players are eternal sharks that will buy nothing but hard counters to their neighbors.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is it really bad to hedge your bets with the counter system? Honest question. For every large stack of a certain type the mixed MMA meets, one of your types will deal 0 dmg, one of your types will deal 0 dmg but counteract an equal amount of enemy troops, one will deal full and counter, and the rest just operate as per normal. It's a wash in the end, thanks to countered troops still being able to counter other troops. I think!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Looking it up, the formula is pretty linear. Every 2 MAA counters 1 of their victim type. In your examples, those 500 horse archers removed the dps of ~250 AF. Doesn't matter if there's 500 or 1500 in the stack, 250 of them are doing 0 dps and just being hp sponges. [On paper, the percentages will vary from 55% to like 84%, which is consistent with your experiences.] Until all the horse archers die, they're still doing their job at 100% efficiency. While your AF, for example, have 500 of them countering the pikemen (or whatever), while the other 1000 don't counter anything and just fight as normal (well, sans the 250 who are countered). You're still going to win that fight since AF are generally good units for a lot of reasons but I don't think it due to the counter system.

I will say that one major advantage of spamming the same unit is paradoxically hedging your bets; since the AI likes to blend, you'll always be slightly countered, but by weight of numbers the rest of your stack is unaffected. It's very consistent.

**I'm basing this all on how I've seen and have been told how countering works. If there's some super subtle mechanics on how unit deaths occur that change all this I'm all ears!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm worried that Garrisons will just mean that all these perpetual internal wars (which you could forbid in ck2, right?) will leave everything outside of your personal domain permanently crippled.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, even with max authority every duke I have is constantly getting overthrown or dealing with their own factions etc. I can't tell the counts to leave their lieges alone. There's not a lot of ways to stabilize that, unless I start murdering all extra heirs for every single vassal or something equally impractical.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone tried vassalizing the pope, give him like the entirety of the Italian peninsula, release him and let him run amock?

I don't think anyone has De Jure rule over the Papacy, that plus the kingdom-level malus for vassalization means I don't know how you'd ever get him to agree to it, nor can you ever force it on him as the Papacy title is essentially invulnerable.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm kinda surprised at how large the map is at release; the game's built around Eurocentric Feudal Pope stuff, and the politicking of other areas is probably not very well represented.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is anyone else here playing the linux port?

It was working fine in my first game (before the first DLC was released), but now in my second it started freezing at random, freezing in a way I have to force close it (the interface freezes completely, but the audio continues playing like notjing happened). And worst: it often happens when saving the game

Sometimes I can play for hours without it happening, sometimes it happens every 15, 20 minutes. It is getting unplayable

I think I may have had that freeze once in the past, but it's very rare and didn't really effect long play sessions. Sorry!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Moon Slayer posted:

This is going to sound flippant and dismissive of your concerns and I really don't mean it that way because you've raised some interesting points that I never would have thought about otherwise, but it sounds like you'd much rather play a D&D campaign based around politicking than a simulation video game.

e: to which I would say hey, me too

Nah, CK absolutely has the groundwork to do loyalty things. You might need to do something weird like separate bars for loyalty vs personal opinion or whatever, but the game is fully set up to do those things. Like friendship/rivalry is STILL in ck3, despite not dong nearly as much as you'd like.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
One: Just declare war anyways, there's a warning that you'll be branded traitor forever but it should be technically allowable.

Two: Find out why you are allied and nullify it. e.g. marriage? Assassinate the bride! etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is the most perfect solution possible and I'm not hearing a word of it otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, I found that if I'm actually winning the war that badly, the ticking wargoals will fix things in short order. If the wargoal *isn't* ticking, then I'm not actually winning the war as much as my ego tells me I am. If you just want someone off of your back, white peace exists; the victory part is to make them drop their claims.

This is one thing ck3 did basically perfect, in my opinion.