Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Never played one of these before and would like a few early tips. Since the tutorial ended and the Issues have been satisfied, I feel like I'm sitting and waiting for something to happen.

I want to be King of Ireland and my guy has good military stats so I should probably attack my neighbors. I'm currently Fabricating a Claim on one. That's what I need to do to attack?

How do other unification methods go? I send them gifts so they like me and then just pick the option to make them a Vassal and they maybe give in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

As someone who never really got into CKII, I feel like the UI does a a far better job of guiding you towards roleplaying decisions and away from impersonal grand strategy decisions far better than in CKII.

I've had to unlearn my Total War instincts, where monarchs are mostly interchangeable and their personalities are inevitably subsumed beneath my own impersonal grand strategy goals. I stuck with Munster after the tutorial and when my first king died, his son was already old and he died after adding just one more earldom to the kingdom. Now in the third generation it's clear that direct control over all the earldoms in the kingdom isn't possible the way I might like, and I actually need to work to keep them in line of I ever want to have a truly united Ireland. The UI makes it very clear that one earldom that my ruler once controlled directly is now held by my second cousin, so it's getting further away from my ruler with each generation. I appreciate how obvious it is now because I'm a huge dumbass and if I have to dig into the family tree to learn that one vassal is my cousin (which I seem to recall being the case in CKII), I'm much more likely to just get frustrated and give up. It encourages me to basically stop and reassess the situation (and what my goals ought to be) with each generation, which is way more fun and makes it easier to be halfway decent at the game.

My noob perspective is that succession laws make it hard to grow through marriage early on, because a lot of land gets divided up when your ruler dies, and you can't often directly set up your heir to inherit a rival's titles. Marriages are great for forming alliances though, and then gobbling up land at least for a generation. You might be able to hold on to most or all of it when you die, albeit indirectly. Eventually you can unlock more stable succession laws, but early on, conquest is either straightforward or sustainable long-term, just not both.

So I got the claim and won the war to get the county. Now I just do it again for the next one over? Doesn't seem like there's much else to do while waiting for the claim to come in.

I thought maybe I could convince the mayors that don't like the Earl to like me and not him? Not sure if that works somehow.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm new and confused about something. In the tutorial game I conquered the petty kingdom to the NW of me and then gifted the Earl title to my nephew. Now it says I'm second in line to inherit the title. Aren't I the ruler? Why would I need to be second in line? Should I not give that away?

Also I had a guy visiting my court that said Useful County Claim. I don't know how to make that useful though...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Can't stop playing but I really need some clarification on succession for tutorial Ireland.

I got the 2 duchies and 7 counties I needed to claim the King title, but I died like 12 gold short while waiting to get 500 gold (my income is only 7.7 which seems bad).

Then all of my land gets split up between my sons so my new ruler would have to go to war to win all that stuff back? Why doesn't my heir actually get all my stuff? Here's what my land looks like at the save right before death:

I'm also not sure what the blue outline means.

Here are my titles if the crests make any sense.

My heir kept the primary petty kingdom title and the Earl title for the holding. My second son got the second petty kingdom and the 2nd Earl listed. My third son got the last Earl of Dublin. I didn't make the Title for Duchy of Meath since I was trying to save for King so I think that's why I lost Athlone in the middle of all that as it was removed from the realm. Should I create that Duchy and give it to my heir so he has it already? Should I give him all the Earl titles too?

I was so close to King, but I see that my heir has no claim to King. How would I get that back? Even if I fight my brothers it seems like I just have that land.

Also, what does this mean? She is my second (imprisoned) son's wife. Don't know how to press the claim.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sway them, bribe them, give them vassals or counties to keep their opinions high, give your children to them as wards or if all else fails pawn them off to other vassals so they're not your problem anymore. It's fine to have vassals with the penalty, they won't do anything so long as you keep them happy one way or another. There's no reason not to always have a Sway scheme running, it's basically free opinion. You can set your chancellor to improve vassal opinion by +10 as well if you really need to.

How do you give someone a vassal? How do you pawn a vassal off to another vassal? Can someone provide a basic example too please?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What do the pulsing blue outlines around some counties mean?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Why is my wife naked now? She became ruler of the little county she had a claim to after her uncle died or something. I had my player screen open at the time and she took her top off. She also stopped showing up in my council. Now I'm loading up the game again and welp...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
As the Irish I discovered Royal Prerogative and want to enact High Crown Authority but I don't see it as an available Law for the Kingdom of Ireland. Where is that or is it not available? The Issues thing suggested it because I'm going to lose land when a vassal dies.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Well dammit now I have to wait 20 years until I can pick the next one. She's 45 now so lets hope she makes it.

Also, I took one of the Mann counties and then wanted another one in that Duchy which is part of Alba. I declared war on the Duke and then the Alba army shows up. I don't feel like anything told me that would happen. The Duke's army was inferior so I thought it wouldn't be a problem.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm new to this. Played the tutorial game for awhile when the game cane out and just started a new game using the starting Easy guy who goes on to start Russia.

I start with a bunch of CBs to takeover nearby areas so I figured a good goal is to try to create the Russian empire. Just going to war and taking all of these over seems like a less than creative way to play the game though. What are some basic things I should try instead to achieve that? I still don't really have a great grasp on how to split up my lands and I always have powerful vassals who want council seats but there are so few seats and of course lots of vassals since I'm taking all this land.

Also what options do I have if my ally gets invaded by a guy with an army 4x the size of mine? No chance of beating him in fight. I mean I could not help but that seems rude.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How do I get more money? I see the one that gives me a tiny bit of income but I rarely ever have enough to even build that one. I also always have low control especially in new places I take over so they give me no money.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

binge crotching posted:

If you go to your council screen, there are 3 icons next to each councilor. For your Marshall, the 3rd one down you can click on and then click on a province with low control, and it will rapidly increase.

Yeah I put him on one but it took 27 years and is about to finish. While he was doing that all these new counties were added that have issues.

What's MaA?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm in my second game and I've been playing this one much more than the first, but I still don't know what to do about succession. It just throws the whole plan out the window. I did the start where you are in Novogrod and I became king of that plus the kingdom to the east of it. I died so the kingdoms were split. I killed my brother so I got that kingdom back, but the next time I died there were too many heirs in the way so I left it.

Then I got the kingdom to the north, but died. I tried to kill the no-heir child brother to get it but failed. I guess it's ok to split them up, but how will I ever get to make the Empire of Russia? Also since things keep splitting, I only have two counties so my income is just poo poo. None of my vassals like me either. I'm always just scraping by on the various resources.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Won't revoking their titles make me a tyrant and maybe make them rise up against me? They already all hate me.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What CB should I be using when trying to take over a duchy efficiently? Doing a county just gives that county and then I'm stuck in a truce with them. Does the duchy CB give the any counties that ruler has in that specific duchy? I just did a duchy CB against Chernigov but only got one county of his. Maybe I did something wrong.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Well I just did it twice more and I got their territory but then I had to usurp the Duchy title from them since I had enough counties.

Also, what do I do if they're of the same faith so I have to use Piety but don't have any? I'm constantly losing that since I'm a sinner.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My guy is on death's door and my heir is going to get 4 titles: one kingdom, one duchy, two counties. I'm going to lose 12 other titles since I have so many sons. Anything I can do at the last minute?

Also, that heir is worse than the others. The best son is 3 or 4 down the line. I have reason to imprison the heir but would that cancel his inheritance? I could also disinherit but I imagine I'd just have to go with the next guy and not the absolute best.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 22, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm just never going to get this Empire of Russia title. This was my best shot since he started young but I've been in this game for like 120 years or something. I'm up to 50 of the 71 counties.

LOL I died and of the 3 kingdoms I had this one with my capital at Kiev has the weakest army. Silly heir.

If I throw in the towel on this one and start another game, any recommendations? I played the Irish guy in the tutorial and then ~130 years of the Rurikids in Novogrod.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 22, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Build up the holdings in your capital, and that way your heir should always have a leg up. But I'm guessing you're still tribal as well, were your brothers landed way before your current heir? That would give them much longer to accumulate prestige, and thus give them a stronger army on paper (levies mostly don't matter).

Where you are is hardly non-recoverable either, you should probably stick with it. Go raid, build up some proper MaA, and then establish your supremacy by force.

I'm confused by holdings too. There are 5 or so spots in the county with the button that say create holding but I can't click it because it says there's no hiding to create. So then I'm just limited to the one holding and it's 4 building slots. Some have more building slots but says there are no buildings which is probably because there are only 4 to pick from? How does development level go up?

The brothers were getting the extra duchys from a young age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What do I do with all these hooks? I was an intrigue guy and my spymaster would go find secrets and when he didn't find any I could pay for him to make one and get a hook. It was always just some random courtier. I'll see times when a hook on someone I'm marrying a daughter to would be useful so I could make it matrilineal (when it's close, sometimes it's -945 or something), but I've never had a hook in this instance.