Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

Once I caught my son sleeping with my wife. He was my preferred heir so I accepted being cucked.

Only once?

When I started playing I went browsing through the game rules and I accidentally left the "predominantly homosexual" option on and even though all my heirs were gay, I thought it was just like a lineage thing so it took me a couple of games to notice. At any rate, I guess the preponderance of males, or maybe there's a horny modifier to males or something, but my dad was always trying to gently caress me or I my kids or my sons were loving each other and then inviting me to join when I walked in on them. I remember when my 70 year old gay dad tried to seduce me and I was "no wtf" and then he immediately died, leaving me the county of Leicster.

I just passed the 200 hour mark so I'm just starting to understand the game, lemme ask a basic rear end question - what speed do you play on? I probably spend 80% on 4, swapping to 3 for delicate combat maneuvering and up to 5 when I need someone to die or to stack currency. Is that about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm hip to the "mostly (only) develop your capitol because that's the only holding you are guaranteed to keep" strategy but: When you're in partition, can you lose titles to extra holdings you build within your own capital county?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was doing the Rollo de Normandie varangian adventure, I had Neustria all taken over and settled and some of my heirs died, it's not important how stop asking, and I was down to one heir who had inherited and pressed a claim on the Orkney islands dutchy from my stupid wife. So, when I died and he inherited, his primary was the tribal dutchy and when he took over Normandy, everything changed to tribal and I couldn't build any feudal buildings, even when I changed my primary title. It was late at night and it pissed me off so I just quit without investigating much but: How do I avoid this in the future?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would never land my ingrateful heirs who only do things like get bad traits and get caught loving their mothers, it was my wife that landed him.

Are there other dutchies besides Neustria that offer unique decisions or options for Varangian adventures

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can someone give me a good breakdown of when and who to grant titles to under partition? I've watched a bunch of videos and some say, never land dynasty, some say always land dynasty, they differ on when so

Let's say you are a duke, you have 3 sons and five county titles. None of them comprise an unformed dutchy title. You're getting on towards death, what do you do?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't get Ironman mode to enable. I've done a complete fresh install, deleting the files from documents, and adding firewall exclusions. Default rules too. It will let me do it if I pick one of the recommended characters, but not if I pick a non-recommended one. Are achievements/IM runs restricted just to recommended characters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Banishment escheats all their property back to you, killing them just let's their heirs inherit so gives you less control.

Oooh new word

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a goddamn inoperable tumor

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How far can you go with unreformed asatru as a varangian country

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last one. Just wondering how long into the game I can go as the pagan Norse king of Sardina before I have to give up raiding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aside from making them revolt-proof, is there anything allied vassals will actually get involved with

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

And you call yourself an english monarch

The problem is it takes 600 piety to attack him, and when I finally got there and bit the bullet and declared war for them, the fucker died mid war and thus the war was cancelled. I donít give a poo poo who the pope is the midlands dont belong to him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do you guys think are the best and worse skill trees? I really hate the seducer and torturer (really all of intrigue) but a lot of that is I don't play that way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I make insane money from blackmailing for hooks and then buying them with Golden Obligations. The only issue is if my guy has moral qualms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haraldr Tanglehair in Vestfold 867 is great, he even has a special mission to become the first king of Norway, with a special nickname and everything!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For making money, the trick is to try to keep as many of your vassals directly under you as possible - the cut for vassals of vassals is so small as to effectively not exist. So you should only consolidate vassals if you are rubbing up against the limit. Otherwise, for quick cash infusions, prisoner ransoms are still the main way to do it. If you get prompts to imprison a vassal and doing so would not plunge you into a huge civil war, you pretty much always want to arrest and then immediately ransom them for a bunch of free cash (assuming they can afford it).

Also, to get started, Golden Obligations, the first perk in the left stewardship tree, lets you basically sell hooks back to the people you got them from, so combining that with Find Secrets can lead to a lot of money. A lot of virtuous traits will penalize stress for blackmail or demanding payment, however, so keep an eye on that.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 17, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It's exactly this, if your vassals hate you upon death it transfers to your heir as a Negative Opinion of Predecessor or something like that. Decays pretty rapidly but all but guarantees a rebellion upon succession.

That's when it helps to have a prison full of off-faith inmates to mass execute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any time I try to play tall it never works out. I was gonna play as just the duke of Luxembourg, but look Aachen is right there and it has Charlemagne's palace and oh Cologne has the cathedral so I'll just grab that and now I'm the goddamn king of Lotharingia and Brittany.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a list somewhere of what vassal traits incline or disincline them to rebel? I saw it referenced in a reddit thread but I searched everything I could think of and couldn't come up with one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Pants posted:

The two main things that affect that are opinion modifiers and boldness, the latter of which modifies the effectiveness of your dread. The wiki shows which traits affect that.

Ah thanks. Some of them are obvious, like Ambitious or Craven, but it's not as clear with stuff like Calm or Chaste

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long do you guys play for? I tend to get up to empire and get bored or I have a really bad succession and start over. I like the building up more than the maintaining so that probably biases me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do I marry off all my rando non landed courtiers or am I wasting my time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pidan posted:

I use courtier marriages to lure people to my court. Hey 26 martial handsome lowborn, please matri marry this ex muslim lady I recruited from my dungeon. Matrilineally, of course.

Oh yeah I do that for sure, but I mean like the 5/6/3/6/2 guy who lives at my house for some reason. Right now I marry him off so he has kids that become my courtiers later on, but i don't seem to have a stable of badass couriers, plus most of my council spots get taken up by salty vassals anyway, so I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Given the innovation bonus from being in a cultural mix, should I even try to convert, say, the 60% of counties that didn't convert to the English culture?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good news everyone, my rival, a seven year old unlanded girl, has expired. Hopefully I can move on now. I'm the 50 year old duke of Holland.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yep, they sure know how to make em in Vangaria.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

Dying over the thought of the Duke of Holland rolling up to some poo poo hole town and busting into a small pauper's funeral held for a small child who just died tragically and the Duke just balls out of control before ending his visit with a vicious 2 hour roast of the dead kid

But with a crown on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As long as it's my direct holding, any building troop bonus apply/stack across my whole army? It doesn't matter where the troops were raised from? What about for vassals, do my building bonuses apply to them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mostly I've been building walls + 3 economic buildings in my capital county and then later I build a separate barony for three mil buildings.+

e:VVVVVV yeah I know, I build them for myself since my loving lesser heirs can't steal them away in succession

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, I'm a large kingdom fighting a war for a duchy title from another large kingdom. I have overwhelming advantage. What's the fastest way to accomplish this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So don't bother going after their capitol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of, do the combat bonuses awarded in the 1st and 3rd mil trees only apply if you are leading an army

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are they going to include a penis stencil or are they going to make us spend 20 minutes doing that at the beginning of every game

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

You can change them to Feudal holdings by building castles and moving the county capital to that holding, but you shouldn't. Theocratic holdings in particular are worth their weight in gold (new ones can't be created) since they contribute far more on average than your Feudal vassals (though this depends on your Piety level) and won't join factions against you. You can also grant your children said holdings and they will become Theocratic rulers, excluding them from succession.

Republican vassals are far less useful by comparison, compared to Feudal vassals it's basically a wash.

You can use Renown to get claims and tyranny free revokations but I wouldn't, that renown is much better spent on the legacy trees.

It was really cool the other day when my carefully crafted heir inherited some bullshit from his mother and then appointed himself as a prince-bishop, leaving me with the weak, shy, craven spare that I engineered to not challenge his chad brother as my sole heir.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

How the hell did your wife inherit a bishopric of all things?

E: I mean I'm guessing you're just not in a male dominated religion?

I don't know wtf happened, I was playing as Matilda of Tuscany. Had son, son inherited land and suddenly I got a "new heir" notification.

Also the other day I was playing as Alfred and was wrapping up Mercia and waiting for Whiteshirt to die so I could invade York. I skipped a crusade request that I thought was for Jerusalem but was in fact for Jorvik, so I scrambled to get in that war so I didn't have some crusader kingdom up in north England. Well the pope didn't take terribly kindly to that and his armies whooped my rear end, so I retreated to lick my wounds and hung out on the border to fight off any mad Norsemen while I waited for the crusade to end. Then, bang, crusade ended due to no longer being valid and I was suddenly the lord of both Lancaster and York. Still don't know what happened there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For kingdoms that are comprised of one duchy, like Bohemia or Brittany, what do you want your vassal set up to look like. Bohemia, for example, you have five or six counts, so do you give one or both of your two duchies away and put counts under them, do you keep them all counts, what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Oh, I see as I didn't have any kings in my Empire so no one was stressed about that.

Well, I played till the end (Munster > Empire of Britania). What's a good Norse start? Something on the easy side would be good.

Harald Tanglehair is pretty fun, if you're bored of loving around in the British Isles

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I think it is very specifically because of the Duchy Capital Buildings, which are just outrageously good. You can be a super duke with an insane army, or a King with a huge realm, but not both.

It also allows for small Kingdom titles which is cool. Like it'd be real annoying if you couldn't hold just the four Kingdoms of northern Iberia without your vassals flipping out.

Do you want to stack duchy buildings or build a variety of them? Generally I just make tax offices because I always need gold.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Norman or Sicilian culture?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fellas that's the longest dang Burgundy I ever did see

I'm Bohemia, enjoying the benefits of the medieval gerontocracy. 1066 Bohemia feels too locked in but 867 Bohemia is tribal, which if I'm going to play tribal it's not gonna be those guys. I started in Innsbruck because of the mine with no real plans besides "get big" and I ended up holy warring Bohemia at the end of my first dude's life, just in time to create independent ducal titles for all of my four sons and keep Bohemia and all of its holdings to my heir alone. Still got the mine in Innsbruck, it's no Manding but along with it stacks gold. With Caslav it's the closest two-mine kingdom I can think of.

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sure, my entire brood of sons would be happy to visit their peers in your court. And hell, if you wanted to drown a bunch of 'em, no problem!