Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
galaxy quest
Galaxy Quest
galaxy quest
spaceballs
View Results

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This movie is so good it made tim allen likable for 10 minutes. It's alzo the best sci fi movie easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Galaxy quest is the third best Star Trek movie

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

It Is a good movie. If not great.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

Galaxy quest is the third best Star Trek movie

Whcih are better?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

II and VI definitely are, but I think IV is better than Galaxy Quest.

Also Galaxy Quest rules, but anyone who goes "It's my favorite Star Trek movie" is some :smug: fart-smeller. It's not a coincidence Abrams said it was his favorite.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I really like the scene where there's a bunch of crushers and fire and Sigourney Weaver is all 'why the gently caress are these here!?'

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Buzz Lightyear being a piece of poo poo irl was a real highlight

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
by hrothgar's hammer, what a movie

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Some Goon posted:

I really like the scene where there's a bunch of crushers and fire and Sigourney Weaver is all 'why the gently caress are these here!?'

My favorite bit of that is that if you watch her lips she's clearly saying "Well gently caress that" and it got dubbed over.

The design of the ship in Galaxy Quest is amazing because it takes three major design cues for the Enterprise (saucer in front, straight warp engines, engines on the end of long pylons coming up) and reverses them (saucer in back and is now the engines, engines are now stuck directly onto the bottom of the hull).

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's definitely not Trek because it's revealed that all the aliens actually look like aliens and not humans with forehead putty.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Proud to say I saw Galaxy Quest at the drive-in back in the 90s.

Good times.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

II and VI definitely are, but I think IV is better than Galaxy Quest.

Also Galaxy Quest rules, but anyone who goes "It's my favorite Star Trek movie" is some :smug: fart-smeller. It's not a coincidence Abrams said it was his favorite.

I've only seen II in that list, and I prefer Galaxy Quest more personally. I like the jokes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some Goon posted:

I wish that R-rated cut of Galaxy Quest was a real thing. It would have been amazing. Also there's a montage in the Galaxy Quest documentary they released a little while ago of the TNG cast going "why the gently caress didn't we do something like this?" That would have been fantastic as well.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Malkina_ posted:

Proud to say I saw Galaxy Quest at the drive-in back in the 90s.

Good times.

I had the chance to see Galaxy Quest in theaters. I was outvoted and instead my group saw Bicentennial Man. Ouch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

I had the chance to see Galaxy Quest in theaters. I was outvoted and instead my group saw Bicentennial Man. Ouch.

Your friends sucked, I'm sorry. I saw it opening night with my besties and it was a blast.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yikes! posted:

I've only seen II in that list, and I prefer Galaxy Quest more personally. I like the jokes
I'm not talking about liking Galaxy Quest more, I'm talking about saying "It's the best Star Trek movie" in the same way that :smug: dudes go "Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie."

feller
Jul 5, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not talking about liking Galaxy Quest more, I'm talking about saying "It's the best Star Trek movie" in the same way that :smug: dudes go "Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie."

maybe re-read then because someone said it was their third best, i asked which are better, and then you presumably answered by saying that 2 and 6 are definitely better and 4 also. Also do you have anything else you wanna get off your chest?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:smug: people saying galaxy quest is the best star trek movie would be a problem if they were wrong

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's a good movie

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Having Sigourney Weaver and/or Alan Rickman never hurt a movie.

By Grabthar's hammer.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Star Trek 4 is the best Galaxy Quest

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I watched Galaxy Quest and found it to be e.deece, I am planning on watching it again & am glad to have found a thread devoted to this movie!

:3:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's hilarious how Galaxy Quest's climax sends this positive message of the day being saved by super-obsessive fans, especially when you consider how Star Wars' ST got hosed over by super-obsessive fans on Reddit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

amigolupus posted:

It's hilarious how Galaxy Quest's climax sends this positive message of the day being saved by super-obsessive fans, especially when you consider how Star Wars' ST got hosed over by super-obsessive fans on Reddit.

It only got hosed over because the biggest entertainment company on earth outsourced their planning to the loudest racists on reddit

I like that the naive squid people aliens realise they devoted everything to a lie but decide to roll with it in the end because the humans made an effort to

Nov 6, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It only got hosed over because the biggest entertainment company on earth outsourced their planning to the loudest racists on reddit

I like that the naive squid people aliens realise they devoted everything to a lie but decide to roll with it in the end because the humans made an effort to

I think blaming Reddit and the fans for what happened to SW is dumb and simplistic. Disney and JJ are like 99.9999% at fault.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Galaxy Quest is drat near perfect. It's better at being Star Trek than most real actual Star Trek.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yikes! posted:

maybe re-read then because someone said it was their third best, i asked which are better, and then you presumably answered by saying that 2 and 6 are definitely better and 4 also. Also do you have anything else you wanna get off your chest?
Yeah, eat my taint. All I did was quantify that some people do say that it's "the best Star Trek" and those people are wrong. You could rank it alongside them and it'd be as good as 4th or 5th best in the franchise, but that's more because most Star Trek movies are dogshit and we all know it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Galaxy Quest is drat near perfect. It's better at being Star Trek than most real actual Star Trek.
Case-in-point.

oh but seriously I posted:

Star Trek 4 is the best Galaxy Quest
Wisdom.

Groke posted:

Having Sigourney Weaver and/or Alan Rickman never hurt a movie.

By Grabthar's hammer.
Also true. Rickman plays a loathsome asshat in "Love Actually" and he's still one of the better bits.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think blaming Reddit and the fans for what happened to SW is dumb and simplistic. Disney and JJ are like 99.9999% at fault.
That whole sequel trilogy became a shitshow largley because of literal honest-to-god Nazis co-opting manchildren who were butthurt that The Last Jedi dared them to think and act like adults for once in their godforsaken lives. Then JJ and Disney somehow managed to fail at fanservice, which was probably the best move because literally anything other than something no one really liked would make either the CHUDs or the sane people act like their side had "won."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oh yeah, if you actually listen to the contradictory demands of whining dipshits at the expense of coherency it's your own fault

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Listen this thread is about the now-proclaimed best star trek movie, Galaxy Quest. It is not about the dumb laser sword series

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Dune > Galaxy Quest > Firefly > Trek > Rama > Starwars

:smuggo:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Dune > Galaxy Quest > Firefly > Trek > Rama > Starwars

:smuggo:

https://i.imgur.com/FOwZ77O.mp4

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

yikes! posted:

Listen this thread is about the now-proclaimed best star trek movie, Galaxy Quest. It is not about the dumb laser sword series

I once told people not to talk about laser swords and look what happened to me. People love to talk about that sword thing. They can not be stopped. They'll climb a mountain for it. It consumes them.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 28, 2020

Nov 6, 2002

A Jedi with a laser sword vs a Jedi with a phaser, who wins?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's a really charming movie and my favorite thing about it is it seems like a movie that actually likes fans of Star Trek

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

A Jedi with a laser sword vs a Jedi with a phaser, who wins?

Whichever one constructs a rudimentary lathe first.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

mind the walrus posted:

That whole sequel trilogy became a shitshow largley because of literal honest-to-god Nazis co-opting manchildren who were butthurt that The Last Jedi dared them to think and act like adults for once in their godforsaken lives. Then JJ and Disney somehow managed to fail at fanservice, which was probably the best move because literally anything other than something no one really liked would make either the CHUDs or the sane people act like their side had "won."

hahahah this is just terminally online. no mega-corporation was spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make reddit manchildren happy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pick posted:

I think it's a really charming movie and my favorite thing about it is it seems like a movie that actually likes fans of Star Trek

It works specifically as a comedy about Star Trek in a way that something a lot more mean-spirited absolutely wouldn't.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Galaxy Quest may be the last really good Star Trek or Star Wars movie made. That's kind of weird to me for some reason.

docbeard posted:

It works specifically as a comedy about Star Trek in a way that something a lot more mean-spirited absolutely wouldn't.

It's an elegant movie, for a more civilized time.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tulip posted:

Galaxy Quest may be the last really good Star Trek or Star Wars movie made. That's kind of weird to me for some reason.

What a bizarre statement. Star Trek Beyond was really good.

Also the ST had a really good movie, but that is pretty immaterial since Galaxy Quest is not at all a Star Wars movie.