Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
American parmesan is usually fine, tbh. You just have to buy it in a block and grate it yourself instead of getting the pre-grated trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There’s this cheese called gjetost. It’s brown, has a mild salty-sweetness, and tastes like caramel

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

https://www.papillesetpupilles.fr/2017/01/boulette-davesnes.html/

Boulette D'Avesnes-Nord smells like rancid donkey rear end and tastes like heaven. Unfortunately, it is not legal to import it into the USA due to raw milk in its making. I recommend you get on a plane right now, go eat some, and then never again buy an American cheese because you've just ruined them forever. :v:

Translated article posted:

It is best to eat it alone or after tasting the other sweeter cheeses on the board because its flavor is very marked. I also advise you to open the window.

To give actual useful content, though: There are lots of dairies in Wisconsin that produce absolute top-notch cheeses; they just don't distribute to wide-spread national retailers, or aren't legally allowed to sell them across state borders. If you live in the midwest and fancy a cheesy vacation, visit the Mars Cheese Castle across the WI border and grab a bunch of touristy deliciousness. Alternatively, check out Trader Joe's or a Wegmans in your area, since they tend to carry some decent poo poo.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 23, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you like parmigiano reggiano (the King Of Cheeses), try some aged gouda its quite firm and sharp unlike young gouda, and has an amazing nutty flavour

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I really think asiago should be a part of this discussion

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i've had parmigiano reggiano chunks that you dip in a reduced balsamic vinegar, so its kinda like a sauce. It tastes crazy and also really good.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rahu posted:

American parmesan is usually fine, tbh. You just have to buy it in a block and grate it yourself instead of getting the pre-grated trash.

I buy wedges because that's all anywhere by me sells. I would like this block form

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
currently brining a soon-to-be beautiful casu marzu wheel in the cheese cave downstairs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i originally thought casu marzu was just a gross cheese, but eating it can actually infect you with worms.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Now try a sandwich with a bunch of really old stanky provolone on it

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

yikes! posted:

I buy wedges because that's all anywhere by me sells. I would like this block form

That's just the way they cut up the wheels at my local grocer. Some of the chunks are blockier and some are wedgier. Truly I am spoiled for choice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

what the heck is that stuff even made out of? it's definitely not cheese.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what the heck is that stuff even made out of? it's definitely not cheese.

Dry heel scrapings

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1RB2wDVLA

Would highly recommend this Parmesan omelette. It’s a pain in the butt flipping it because the cheese sticks, but it comes out tasty as hell

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

I really think asiago should be a part of this discussion

:hellyeah: I prefer it!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

yikes! posted:

I've been eating "Parmesan" all my dang life and finally had some of the real stuff and drat. Why is this so good and why does america suck at makin it?

in the US you can call your cheese whatever you want, but in italy there are specific geographic, process and ingredient standards that foods have to meet

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Try different types of feta if you like salty cheeses. My favorite is Bulgarian. If your experience with feta is the dry crumbly kinda bland type you got in a cheap greek salad then you're missing out.

One of my local grocery stores carries French sheep feta, and for some reason it's less than half the cost of the other fetas. I tried it out because I like feta and it was so drat cheap, and it's really good. Have bought it a lot.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
This guy eats a lot of cheese.

Also Boursin is an excellent cracker cheese, specifically the garlic and herb variety.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The dreaded stinky cheese:

I thought I could eat anything. You brought me back to this moment. The time where I thought I could go beyond the possible. You can eat me now.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Manchego is good but if you dont generally like sheep (or goat is similar) cheese...maybe dont.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Pecorino Romano

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ziv Zulander posted:

There’s this cheese called gjetost. It’s brown, has a mild salty-sweetness, and tastes like caramel

I would try this if it wasn’t $20 for a brick, what if i don’t like it?? Too much potential sunk cheese cost imo

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
If theres a place that sells a lot of cheese a good idea is to go there and get like some minimum $2-3 of a few, a small slice of each and just chill and find out/enjoy it.

Used to do that, take them to the local pub and just have a time.

Only way sometimes youre gonna taste a super expensive cheese

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 23, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ziv Zulander posted:

Its very delicious with some fresh sliced green apples. I've made a sort of fondue with it and some dessert-y white wine (Sauternes specifically).

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Rahu posted:

This goes for all cheese btw

They put some poo poo on pre-grated cheese so it'll last better and it ruins the taste of it a lot of the time

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
LOve cheese

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fartbox posted:

This goes for all cheese btw

They put some poo poo on pre-grated cheese so it'll last better and it ruins the taste of it a lot of the time

it's cellulose. it helps prevent clumping, but it also helps prevent melting. pre-shredded cheese is not good.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Fighting the urge to eat a handful of cheap grated mozzarella right now.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

My favorite cheese is

Also raw milk is involved. Luckily I live in Germany, so I can pay 28€ for one, eat myself sick cause I'm lactose intolerant and then die.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

My favorite cheese is

Also raw milk is involved. Luckily I live in Germany, so I can pay 28€ for one, eat myself sick cause I'm lactose intolerant and then die.

I fart in your general direction.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

https://krislloyd.com.au/product/persian-feta-buffalo-300g/

I'm quite fond of this buffalo feta, it's made locally here and really good.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Zeluth posted:

I fart in your general direction.

Don't worry, I already do that. My wife banned me from the bedroom after I ate half of that drat delicious cheese.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The parents of the kids that bought those to school were always just a little bit off.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im a goat cheese man. i put it on pizza with jalapenos and pineapple because im out of my mind and into my stomach.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The best cheeses are ewe's milk (looking at you, Manchego, Ossau-Iraty, Roquefort, Pecorino) but I had a student who commuted all the way from Pisa every week and he bought me a block of Parmigiano as a gift and I've kept half of it in the freezer to grate every now and then.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Its funny how stuff gets to the US and the rules get weirdly more strict

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its probably to keep independant producers from selling their goods, under the veil of public safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have 3 different wedges of parm in my fridge but I still use the powdered poo poo when eating trash food like spaghetti w/ jar sauce, or like papa john's

sometimes the food I eat just doesn't deserve good cheese