Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

My fav semi/hard cheeses:

- Gruyere is very good. Had all age levels during a manufacturing tour there, and they are all good. By extension, Comté is also good.

- Danish/Northern German style cheeses: It's difficult to find good Tilsit but if you do it's good. Maybe Harvarti or Esrom is also good.

- I like Grana Padano for some Pasta dishes over Parmigiano, and Pecorino is also better for some others. However, for straight up I think Parmigiano is best. I don't particularly like Manchego.

-> However, even having eaten most cheeses from US, Europe and Asia, I have to say that the absolute best cheese is still old Gouda. There is nothing quite like it. Dense and crumbly, but at the same time chewy with crystallized bits and the perfect balance of taste.

My fav white cheeses:

- For white cheeses I usually go with Turkish/Bulgarian over Greek, as they are less crumbly and more moist which I like in white cheeses. I also think Feta often overdoes the sheep milk component. You can actually choose among like ten levels of fat content, too, which makes it very versatile.

- From Turkey, there's Örgü Peynir and Tel Peynir which are very good. Good luck getting them anywhere, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

For example, this is one PART of just the "cheese SPREAD" aisle in a local grocer, here.
This isn't even the 'bagged' or 'national' cheeses, or 'the good stuff'. This is the 'cheese SPREAD' section, in Wisconsin.

We don't gently caress around.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, but making your point by showing that you have the longest aisles of processed cheese is hilariously American.
Just letting you know.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I think there are two things to say about American food.

First, there's classics and local stuff that's good, also cheese and beer in some places. Personally, my experience comes from living in the South (some years ago) and they had some kick rear end local butchery and sausage products going on. They were also pretty good at putting meat on fire in different ways. And compared to what the local schlock in Europe would do, a Southern American would probably snob about that in the same way we snob about cheese.

Second, however, is that the overall median quality of many other foodstuffs is improving rapidly and, most importantly, recently.
When I lived in small-town Southern state, some time ago, I guarantee you there was neither good cheese nor good bread nor a lot of good beer anywhere to be found. I actively looked.
Yes, there were rows and rows of aisles in the supermarket, but it was ALL garbage products. It was just bad.

Next, the quality of things improved, but it is often a very "American" curve. First, the thing is just maxed out, balance be damned. It's like a counter-movement to overly bland food. I remember getting American wine and it was totally on the nose with fruit and oak and basically undrinkable (to me). Totally over the top. Same with beer which was basically a liquor, often with unnecessary poo poo added to it. There was artisan bread which tasted like a loving cake.

Finally, however, most recently, balance seems to be coming back and the product really grows into its quality. There's now bread, wine, beer, cheese etc. that's good by anyone's standard.

Compare this with Europe, where each French village has cheese/wine that has been "perfected" since generations and you can get a good selection at every local Aldi or Lidl or what have you. Or every German village bakery would basically be on the level of your most hip artisan bakery in the Valley just by tradition. If anything, Europe is moving in the opposite direction with big brands and system gastronomy taking over.
So American products that get imported to Europe were first the bland brand poo poo, then the over the top stuff and finally, now and in the future, the good things. Delayed snobbery is to be expected.

One thing I will say is that the franchise / chain restaurants in American cities are too prevalent, probably thanks to hypercapitalism. Just going into a random restaurant for a bite to eat can be really frustrating in the US to this day.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 25, 2020

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

It's perfect.

When it comes to shitposting, I do not compromise on quality.