Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who moves on to the conference finals?
This poll is closed.
Vegas 36 16.67%
Vancouver 15 6.94%
Dallas 26 12.04%
Colorado 26 12.04%
New York 27 12.50%
Philadelphia 21 9.72%
Tampa Bay 29 13.43%
gently caress Boston 36 16.67%
Total: 77 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

EASTERN CONFERENCE (Toronto Hub)

Philadelphia Flyers (1) vs. New York Islanders (6)

Monday, Aug. 24, 7 p.m.: Islanders at Flyers | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Wednesday, Aug. 26, 3 p.m.: Islanders at Flyers | NBCSN, SN, TVAS
Thursday, Aug. 27, 7 p.m.: Flyers at Islanders | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Saturday, Aug. 29, 12 p.m.: Flyers at Islanders | NBC, SN, TVAS
*Monday, Aug. 31, TBD: Islanders at Flyers | TBD
*Wednesday, Sept. 2, TBD: Flyers at Islanders | TBD
*Thursday, Sept. 3, TBD: Islanders at Flyers | TBD

Tampa Bay Lightning (2) vs. Boston Bruins (4)

Sunday, Aug. 23, 8 p.m.: Bruins at Lightning | NBCSN, SN, TVAS
Tuesday, Aug. 25, 7 p.m.: Bruins at Lightning | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Wednesday, Aug. 26, 8 p.m.: Lightning at Bruins | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Friday, Aug. 28, 7:30 p.m.: Lightning at Bruins | USA, CBC, SN, TVAS
*Sunday, Aug. 30, TBD: Bruins at Lightning | TBD
*Tuesday, Sept. 1, TBD: Lightning at Bruins | TBD
*Wednesday, Sept. 2, TBD: Bruins at Lightning | TBD

WESTERN CONFERENCE (Edmonton Hub)

Vegas Golden Knights (1) vs. Vancouver Canucks (5)

Sunday, Aug. 23, 10:30 p.m.: Canucks at Golden Knights | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Tuesday, Aug. 25, 9:45 p.m.: Canucks at Golden Knights | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Thursday, Aug. 27, 9:45 p.m.: Golden Knights at Canucks | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Saturday, Aug. 29, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights at Canucks | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
*Monday, Aug. 31, TBD: Canucks at Golden Knights | TBD
*Tuesday, Sept. 1, TBD: Golden Knights at Canucks | TBD
*Thursday, Sept. 3, TBD: Canucks at Golden Knights | TBD

Colorado Avalanche (2) vs. Dallas Stars (3)

Saturday, Aug. 22, 6:00 p.m.: Stars at Avalanche | NBC, SN, TVAS
Monday, Aug. 24, 9:45 p.m.: Stars at Avalanche | NBCSN, SN, TVAS
Wednesday, Aug. 26, 10:30 p.m.: Avalanche at Stars | NBCSN, SN, TVAS
Friday, Aug. 28, 10 p.m.: Avalanche at Stars | NBCSN, SN, TVAS
*Sunday, Aug. 30, TBD: Stars at Avalanche | TBD
*Monday, Aug. 31, TBD: Avalanche at Stars | TBD
*Wednesday, Sept. 2, TBD: Stars at Avalanche | TBD

**All start times listed in Eastern Time (ET)**

goldrush fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1297561965603119105

Toffoli and Myers still out. Toffoli possibly aiming for maybe a game 3 return, Myers still probably 'a week away'. Motte continues to carry the Tyler flame alone.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Repost from last thread:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Tuuka have the option of coming back if he wants, or once you opt out are you out for good?

He can come back if he quarantines for 14 days and gets a bunch of negative tests.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Stars have a shot.

That's all I can really ask for.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is gonna be a rough series for the flyers

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jethro posted:

Repost from last thread:

He can come back if he quarantines for 14 days and gets a bunch of negative tests.

I wonder if he starts quarantining if Boston gets to the ECF.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Are people in Dallas wearing jerseys right now? Cause that sounds unbearable.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I totally thought this was going to be about weird noon weekday starts. Nope. Toronto is mad that West coast teams aren't playing at a convenient time for them.

Toronto Sun: SIMMONS: How did the NHL and Sportsnet mess up the Canucks TV schedule?.

quote:

The only Canadian team left in the Stanley Cup playoffs — the very exciting Vancouver Canucks — will barely be available on television to more than half the country when the next round of the post-season begins.

And how has the NHL or its Canadian carrier, Rogers Sportsnet, allowed this to happen?

The latest Sportsnet snafu — and there have been so many since the network paid a king’s ransom to be the national rights-holder — has the Canucks opening their series against the No. 1-seeded Vegas Golden Knights at 10:30 ET on Sunday night.

That’s 11:30 p.m. in Eastern Canada. That’s midnight in Newfoundland, where Bob Cole lives. That’s middle of the night for many.

This basically assures hockey lovers across the country that the majority — Ontario and Quebec alone represent 66% of the Canadian population — will not be awake to see all of Game 1, and the 9:45 ET starts for Game 2 and 3 would mean overtime would start some time around 1 a.m.  Eastern time. And that late, even the insomniacs such as me are doing head-bobs to keep listening to the great Chris Cuthbert.

The idea, of course, as always, is for Sportsnet to engage people, to bring them in, to get them excited about hockey. If you can’t watch Bo Horvat and Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson and not want to see more, check your pulse or your vision. The Canucks may not beat Vegas, it’s possible no one will, but they just knocked off the Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues, and I happen to know that because I woke up just in time to see the series-clinching empty-net goal and then tried to get back to sleep.

The NHL, as always, needs to better understand Canada’s love of hockey and Sportsnet needs to be stronger with its voice, its scheduling. It has something to sell here — an easy sell — and it’s maddening why the network can’t figure a way to get it right.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

“That’s midnight in Newfoundland, where Bob Cole lives.”

:rolleyes:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Are people in Dallas wearing jerseys right now? Cause that sounds unbearable.

In the comfort of my own home, maybe

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
A proper goalie tweet

https://twitter.com/RobinLehner/status/1297768445879017472?s=19

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1297771844058062848?s=19

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

T.C. posted:

I totally thought this was going to be about weird noon weekday starts. Nope. Toronto is mad that West coast teams aren't playing at a convenient time for them.

Toronto Sun: SIMMONS: How did the NHL and Sportsnet mess up the Canucks TV schedule?.

Please don’t quote Steve Simmons like his opinions matter to anyone

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah yes, that is the Canucks I know and love hate myself for caring about.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
VGK/VAN looked really fun, as long as you're not a Vancouver fan. I fear that the only hope of exciting games in the East are, god help us, the Flyers.

IRC_man
Jul 30, 2019
:2bong: HIPPIE LIFE! :2bong:

from the far corners of Texas, I strike again.
I think the Canucks can triumph over the golden knights. Flyers and tampa wont make it. Colorado will beat the stars.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

grassy gnoll posted:

VGK/VAN looked really fun, as long as you're not a Vancouver fan. I fear that the only hope of exciting games in the East are, god help us, the Flyers.

the only thing i am looking forward to with flyers/isles is the sweet release of death

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you thought Flyers/Habs was a slog, holy poo poo there's gonna like... 5 goals scored in the entire Flyers/isles series.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

IRC_man posted:

I think the Canucks can triumph over the golden knights. Flyers and tampa wont make it. Colorado will beat the stars.

I think they'll struggle based on game one. I fully expect Markstrom and their power play to steal a game each, but I think Vegas is just too big and physical for them if they stay out of the box.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

IRC_man posted:

Colorado will beat the stars.

Well their starter is dead and Johnson probably out a couple games. But, yeah, probably.

Stars don't have the defence they think they have a bishop is probably done for the playoffs. They're gonna have to run and gun and hope to replicate the results from game 1. Problem is Colorado seems well built to play that style and can out gun the stars. Might be bordering on fan fic territory but two teams with plenty of offensive weapons on forward and defence, suspect D beyond the top pairing/pairings, and backup goalies all the way. Should be a fun series!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Anyone who saw even fifteen seconds of the first game immediately recognized how hopelessly outclassed the Canucks are. This is going to be a short series and the Knights should likely waltz to the Cup finals from here.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

IRC_man posted:

I think the Canucks can triumph over the golden knights

What part of last nights game looked encouraging to you?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

Well their starter is dead and Johnson probably out a couple games. But, yeah, probably.

Stars don't have the defence they think they have a bishop is probably done for the playoffs. They're gonna have to run and gun and hope to replicate the results from game 1. Problem is Colorado seems well built to play that style and can out gun the stars. Might be bordering on fan fic territory but two teams with plenty of offensive weapons on forward and defence, suspect D beyond the top pairing/pairings, and backup goalies all the way. Should be a fun series!

:agreed:

I'd love to see Stephen Johns back in the lineup but I'm pretty sure he's as done as Bishop is. I just can't feel confident about this series until the Avalanche are eliminated. We can hang with him, but even down those players I still think the Avs scare the poo poo out of me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What I want to know is why are these games scheduled so drat late?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

blue squares posted:

Sticking to one network and trying to maximize national TV audiences.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Because the NHL hates you.

Actually I'm also curious. Has any rational been given for the only two games consistently being put into the late slot? Why the gently caress can't they just have a 6pm eastern start then a 7pm western start. Are all the cup finals games going to start at 11pm eastern?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's primetime and nothing else is on TV.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

blue squares posted:

in the Van/VGK series' case, it's because Canadian TV wants a national game with the lone Canadian team left, plus they're both in PST so it works for them

also the NHL has a one-network deal in the US, so if they'd split the games onto say USA Network and NBCSN they'd effectively kill their own ratings, since hockey doesn't have the THIS LEAGUE monoculture effect/ESPN rub the NBA has (who can get away with putting two games on at once, one on TNT and the other on The Worldwide Leader)

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 24, 2020

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
This Philly/NYI series is going to be ugly and ugh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie had a good distinction on what kind of a slog the Isles present compared to what Montreal did

Charlie O'Connor posted:

[Montreal] deployed an aggressive forecheck in the neutral zone. They controlled the shot-attempts battle, an example of the “best defense is a good offense” truism. They took the teeth out of Philadelphia’s offensive zone forecheck with clean breakouts, often aided by Carey Price, who (especially early in the series) was very successful in retrieving dump-in attempts and getting the puck to his teammates. Their defense in Round 1 was absolutely of the active variety.

The Islanders, on the other hand, approach defense differently.

Rather than come right at opponents early in the neutral zone, they tend to stack most of their skaters at their blue line and dare teams to navigate through the morass. Their defensive zone mentality isn’t nearly as focused on using speed to close gaps and force turnovers as quickly as possible; New York is content to sit back in its structure, trusting that opponents will still fail to break through to dangerous areas of the ice. Goalie Semyon Varlamov is no Price when it comes to puckhandling and breaking a forecheck. And the Islanders are certainly not a puck possession team; they ranked 29th during the regular season in five-on-five shot-attempt differential, and even as they’ve impressed in the playoffs, they’ve just barely been above break-even in that regard (50.4 percent).

To use a football analogy, it’s the difference between facing a blitz-happy defense (Montreal) and a team that favors Cover-2 (New York). The Canadiens tried to attack and force the Flyers into mistakes, risking the possibility of ugly breakdowns if they failed. The Islanders avoid breakdowns at all costs. To defeat New York, a team needs to be disciplined, methodical and patient. The Isles’ whole strategy bets that their opponents don’t have the stomach to commit to such an approach for a 60-minute game or seven-game series.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1297949404159184898

Still no positive tests :toot:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

T.C. posted:

They hosed up the time zones:

Eastern - 11:30pm
Atlantic - 12:30am
Newfoundland - 1:00am

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

This Philly/NYI series is going to be ugly and ugh.

I'm not looking forward to it

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Because the NHL hates you.

Actually I'm also curious. Has any rational been given for the only two games consistently being put into the late slot? Why the gently caress can't they just have a 6pm eastern start then a 7pm western start. Are all the cup finals games going to start at 11pm eastern?

I know you're joking but Cup Final games always start at 8 PM ET unless one of the arenas has other big events that affect scheduling.

I guess this time, for once, the league and NBC get to schedule games at the exact times they want since there's nothing else going on in the buildings. This is the result.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1297620278466371584

:unsmith:

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

"Ian Cole, you get a cookie. No, not the rest of you."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Has Lessail poo poo on VGK in the bubble yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I don't think he has posted anything in a long time

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

ThinkTank posted:

Anyone who saw even fifteen seconds of the first game immediately recognized how hopelessly outclassed the Canucks are. This is going to be a short series and the Knights should likely waltz to the Cup finals from here.

Probablay but TBF this is exactly how i felt after game 1 of Winnipeg-Vegas in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.