Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
This is a thread for appreciating the unique art style of Japanese HD surrealism. Japanese HD surrealism is a term coined (by me) to describe art styles in Japanese-developed games on HD consoles with certain commonalities such as:

-Painstakingly crafted real-world objects/brands
-Weird boxy architecture
-Seemingly inhuman proportions/scale
-Flat-ish lighting
-Semi open world
-Limited animations - no mo-cap, very simple cutscenes often without lip sync animations
-A strange emptiness like a bad cheap movie set

So what are some examples?

Yakuza Series

Yakuza Series

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (note the strange scale of the walls and doors)

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (surreal, wide empty streets)

Deadly Premonition Series

Deadly Premonition Series

Bayonetta 2

It's important to note that not every Japanese game has this unique art style. Here are some examples of games that are close but would ultimately be excluded:
-Persona 5 - too stylized, Persona 4 might fit
-MGSV - Kojima graduated to actual realism with this title
-Souls games
-Any Sony first-party game - too detailed and realistic
-Resident Evil 2 - that burger looks too real compared to the horrendous food creations of the other titles

Possible precursors to this style:
While the style didn't hit its stride until the HD era there are some examples of games that most likely precipitated the trend.

Sonic Adventure - the OG

Resident Evil 4 - Later RE games achieved too much fidelity to be included

Please use this thread to share your examples and appreciation for this unique art style. If you're like me, starting a game within this category is like slipping into a warm bath. A glimpse into another reality where the goal of game design is no longer realism, but just the same crappy models and textures from 2 gens ago in HD and characters with really detailed pores.

And with that, I'll leave you with a question for discussion: Does Mario Odyssey's New Donk City fall into this category?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what if dubstep musician Skrillex was a computer program? i think it'd go a little something like this

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

GameCube posted:

what if dubstep musician Skrillex was a computer program? i think it'd go a little something like this

Let's not engage in baseless speculation here

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

congrats OP on not falling for the "what happens to mario's dick when he eats a mushroom" trap and instead finding a new form of weird way to start in imp zone

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Has that topic been covered? I searched but didn't see anything

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Shemue, OP

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

EDF absolutely falls into this category

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

oh lordy if that ain't the good poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

weird how boxy the architecture is in all these games set in cities. those wacky japanese

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

GameCube posted:

weird how boxy the architecture is in all these games set in cities. those wacky japanese

[looking at your avatar, eyes growing wide] holy poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Shemue, OP

Smdh at this oversight op. Imps LOVE Shenmue

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

congrats OP on not falling for the "what happens to mario's dick when he eats a mushroom" trap and instead finding a new form of weird way to start in imp zone

This is a noble path imo

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Smdh at this oversight op. Imps LOVE Shenmue

it takes a village

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
op, i think the best graphics needs to be is the level of a hd remaster of a ps2 game and i think youre just saying that in a dumber way so i feel ya

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

elf help book posted:

op, i think the best graphics needs to be is the level of a hd remaster of a ps2 game and i think youre just saying that in a dumber way so i feel ya

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Red Dead Redepmtion 2. Dark souls 3. Enter the gungeon

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Way of the Samurai fits this bill. More games should let you interrupt cutscenes by unsheathing your weapon.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Sivek posted:

Way of the Samurai fits this bill. More games should let you interrupt cutscenes by unsheathing your weapon.

More games should be like way of the samurai in every way

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Sivek posted:

oh baby that's the stuff

look at those janky rear end wooden beams

edit: I think that if you ever see the font that WotS uses in the top right that's automatic qualification into this category.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Siren turned real actors faces into textures and put them over the character models which leads to some rather insane expressions.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kongming posted:

Siren turned real actors faces into textures and put them over the character models which leads to some rather insane expressions.

that looks good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jenny Agutter posted:

[looking at your avatar, eyes growing wide] holy poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cool thread OP. A bit heavy on the effort but extremely light on the lulz. Welcome to the 'zone.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i remember playing burnout 3 with my friend back when the 360 was just on the cusp of coming out and saying games already look as good as they need to now and i don't know why people feel the need to upgrade. its crazy how much i still agree with 2005 me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mentioned it very recently when talking about the THPS1+2 remake, but the absolute peak of "comfy" graphics for me are late era PS2 / early 360 style graphics. Obviously there's nostalgia there but I still think it's true. Anything more detailed than that and stuff just looks busy and distracting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Re4 is my “games don’t need to look better than this” game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

i remember playing burnout 3 with my friend back when the 360 was just on the cusp of coming out and saying games already look as good as they need to now and i don't know why people feel the need to upgrade. its crazy how much i still agree with 2005 me

case in point, wind waker was 2005 and still probably top 10 prettiest games. art design matters way more than graphical improvements

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

case in point, wind waker was 2005 and still probably top 10 prettiest games. art design matters way more than graphical improvements

absolutely

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Windwaker was actually 2003 and preceded the Iraq War.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

I play Burnout 3 probably once a month still to this day, and I'm still blown away by it. It's amazing lol, why did games have to prioritize resolution/hyper realism. :negative:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Windwaker was actually 2003 and preceded the Iraq War.

Some might say, Predicted

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I play Burnout 3 probably once a month still to this day, and I'm still blown away by it. It's amazing lol, why did games have to prioritize resolution/hyper realism. :negative:
Even the same drat studio couldn't help loving it up. Check out this progression from Burnout 2 > 3 > 4.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

*after looking at the imp zone thread list* what about monster hunter op?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it'd be cool if someone finally realised with all this additional power in consoles now if you stopped obsessing about graphics you could actually make the fable game that peter molyneux described

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Even the same drat studio couldn't help loving it up. Check out this progression from Burnout 2 > 3 > 4.

there's that font again...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

American McGay posted:

I mentioned it very recently when talking about the THPS1+2 remake, but the absolute peak of "comfy" graphics for me are late era PS2 / early 360 style graphics. Obviously there's nostalgia there but I still think it's true. Anything more detailed than that and stuff just looks busy and distracting.

From this era Dead rising is the sweet spot for me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
good thread. The arbitrary scale and detail of certain background objects is definitely what makes it for me.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ah, yes, surrealism, that famous visual style with its iconic janky wooden beams, uncanny valley brand name bottles and unnervingly large doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

looking at the larger than normal steps of Anor Londo next to seemingly normal ones in an extremely quiet freak out