Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Omg. I wonder what percentage of people that ordered an Odin actually received one? I canceled my preorder a few months ago and no regrets.

Odin Pro seems to be a high percent of people got theirs before they ran out of screens, like 20 people got their Odin Lites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Photex posted:

like 20 people got their Odin Lites

That many?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

zzMisc posted:

So, has anyone here with an RP2+ or RG353P done much Android gaming with them yet? I'm curious to know what people have run on these things that work well with the gamepad, given that most Android games are redesigned primarily for touchscreen phones.

The only thing I've tried so far that isn't straight emulation is "SaGa SCARLET GRACE : AMBITIONS", and I found the text unreadibly small on the rg353p's 3.5" 640x480. Still finding it super frustrating that they put Android on this tiny thing instead of the 503.

The only one I tried was Slay the Spire which did nothing but crash when loading. That was on a RP2+.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I got my Odin pro. Sucks about the Lite because the pro is a solid machine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a handheld that'll let you stream and control your pc but over usb? So like Moonlight but through a cable?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Not to my knowledge, though maybe you could use a USB ethernet adapter if you're looking for a better connection?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unfortunately not an option

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
If you don't mind indulging me, I'm genuinely curious as to what situation you have where this is a thing you want.

Like, what is the use case where you are within USB-cable length of your PC, but wish to be controlling it via a handheld with a screen? I'm not trying to be mocking, I'm sure you have a reason to want this, I just can't imagine what it is and I'd kinda like to know...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

handheld that doubles as my pc in bed

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Ah, and I take it your PC screen is not positioned in a way which would make it comfy to just use a wireless controller and play on the monitor?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah that wouldn't work

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the official email sent to Odin Lite base backers, what a joke everyone should just cancel and either buy a pro or wait to see what the RP3 is at this point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wow a coupon

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Photex posted:

wait to see what the RP3 is at this point.

Taki has what I assume is a prototype RP3, though all he's shown of it so far is that it's a 16:9 screen and will run PS2 games pretty well so it's looking like it'll be a hell of a system if they can get the price right.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

big grain of salt for anything taki + retroid

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah this is all the info I can pull up on the Retroid 3:
https://retrododo.com/retroid-pocket-3/

Its mostly sourced from Taki.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Analogue Pocket got its 1.1 beta firmware release alongside openFPGA. openFPGA essentially answers the needs for a jailbreak, but directly built in the firmware itself. It makes the Pocket function like a Mister; choose the core, choose the game you wanna load, boom.

Someone has already made the cores for the main consoles the Pocket supports without an adapter (GB/GBC and GBA) https://github.com/spiritualized1997 and it supports rumble if you slot in a DS rumble pak.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Now if only they would kindly mail me the one I paid for. (He said, in a chorus with everyone else in Group B)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Was not expecting to get multiple cores so quickly! That's got to be an inside job, right? Wonder how long until we get other consoles ported over from MiSTer :getin:

edit: yeah...
https://old.reddit.com/r/AnalogueInc/comments/wbch9n/openfpga_cores_game_boy_advance_game_boy_color/
"They have been heavily tested for months and have no known issues"

https://old.reddit.com/r/AnalogueInc/comments/wbcvpp/analogue_pocket_library_image_set/ii6b6vt/
"Sam Machkovech from Ars Technica here.

So, uh, who ARE you?"

"i'm an fpga engineer."

Swilo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 30, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Analogue Pocket got its 1.1 beta firmware release alongside openFPGA. openFPGA essentially answers the needs for a jailbreak, but directly built in the firmware itself. It makes the Pocket function like a Mister; choose the core, choose the game you wanna load, boom.

Someone has already made the cores for the main consoles the Pocket supports without an adapter (GB/GBC and GBA) https://github.com/spiritualized1997 and it supports rumble if you slot in a DS rumble pak.

I need a video of a step by step guide showing how to install this poo poo as if I am a five year old because no matter what I try, I pop the SD card back in, select OpenFPGA on the home screen and it just gives me that loving QR code.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The folders named Assets, Cores, and Platforms go in the root directory of the SD card. The BIOS file for each system goes in the folder indicated in their respective readme and must have the indicated name. I'd recommend checking out Analogue's version Spacewar to make sure everything is working on your unit since that comes pre-configured and doesn't need any BIOS file tinkering.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't even get Space War working and I'm following the instructions. Maybe it's just brainfog from COVID. I'm not this stupid. Someone needs to make a video I can just watch and do step by step.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'm just getting out of the hospital from surgery and I'm pretty sure the RG353P is waiting for me in the mailbox. I exchanged the 351MP. It was cool but this one looks a lot more comfortable to hold in bed as I recuperate, plus the dongle-free wifi, better chipset, etc. Dealing with them via email was hell though. Anbernic not super great in that regard.

Hope it's the grey one and they didn't forget the SD cards. I have a big ol' 500gb one to drop in but I don't have the carefully curated list of roms that everyone else seems to, so it will be nice to play it out of the box with what they provide.

Excited! Anyone suggest a little case I can keep in my purse? Hard or soft. I should probably get a little short HDMI cable so I don't have to wear out the port on top. I think it's just regular full size hdmi. Ok ramble over hope everyone is having an ok Saturday :gbsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I keep making my 351P irrelevant by buying old Genesis games on sale for my Switch lmao.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In fairness I hate playing Mega Drive games with most handhelds because of the button layout. I'd much rather just play them on a Retropi with my 8bitdo Saturn controller.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The RG353P is really cool. The form factor is super nice and I'm looking forward to digging in and loving around. I can't stand the texture of the case, though. Let me explain my weird issue through a fog of pain meds...

Certain types of cheap, scratchy plastic give me this unpleasant ASMR shiver feelings. I get the same sensation thinking about various things, like the texture of the pixel 5, or the feeling you get in your mouth after the candy shell has worn off of an m&m but you haven't hit the chocolate yet. is any of this ringing a bell? I think I have bad ocd about textures sometimes. It's plastic that has no texture. I wonder if I could stick some kind of adhesive things on here to give it some rubberization or something.

Ok weird rant over. The device, otherwise, is pretty sick and games look great on it. Coming off the back of the ancient, cheap "retro game" handheld I had already it's light-years ahead. I'm gonna keep it and dick around and hopefully do something about the plastic, but apart from that I really like it .

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Retroid Pocket 3 was announced and it's a stinker

same SoC as the RP2+ but they make it seem like it's faster because they do all their comparisons to the chip in the RP2

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't forget that it also looks like every other boring switch lite knockoff on the market

Say what you want about the 2 design, you could spot it in a crowd

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't even get Space War working and I'm following the instructions. Maybe it's just brainfog from COVID. I'm not this stupid. Someone needs to make a video I can just watch and do step by step.

Assuming you updated (it sounds like you did) there should be a set of folders on that SD card that were added when the Mister was updated. In that SD card you should see 3 folders that match the names of the 3 folders from the core releases. If you have the extracted result of that release (from lets say the GBA core) and just drop them on the root of the SD card it will automatically merge the folders putting everything in the right place. At least on windows. After that you still need to drop the appropriate bios file for the system in question in the correct folder. That part is described on the readme on the core's release page. Those bios if you don't have them are pretty easily found on archive. Add at least one game rom to the same folder as your bios and you should be good to go.

If you get any of the folder placement stuff wrong you just get the QR code screen over and over. It wants at least one correctly installed core or it will show that screen which is super unhelpful. An informative error like "Couldn't find file X" would have made this way clearer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh, I figured it out later. It wasn’t very intuitive, but I understand now. I even got the Neo Geo alpha core up and running.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Don't forget that it also looks like every other boring switch lite knockoff on the market

Say what you want about the 2 design, you could spot it in a crowd

I don’t have an issue with this because at least it’s a control scheme proven to work. Using the same chip as the RP2+ does nuke my interest in it though unless they’ve figured out some magical optimisation. My expectation though is they’ll claim credit for emulator optimisation (especially in AetherSX2 which is borderline magical in what that team are managing) in the time between the 2+ and 3 for the improvements in performance.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Call me when the RP3+ is out.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Double bottom sticks? Start and select are buttons on the top like a volume rocker? The gently caress is that design.

The only improvement I see here is a real right stick, but that ain’t worth a reused chipset and awful control layout.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ok yeah I’ve seen it now and withdraw my comments on being a control system that works, you could park a bus in the space between those face buttons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao why is it so hard to just make a sensible control layout? Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft have been doing it for decades, why do all these third party companies struggle so hard with it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao why is it so hard to just make a sensible control layout? Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft have been doing it for decades, why do all these third party companies struggle so hard with it?

Everyone has to innovate to stand out. Never mind that everyone except Sony settled on offset analog sticks for a reason.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They’re also starting from templates and production lines for other products.

But yeah some of the designs were conceived from seemingly random placements.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I thought the RP2+ was pretty stand out, I get approached when I'm traveling for work pretty regularly

I still say they would have made just as much money if they released more shells again

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

njsykora posted:

everyone except Sony settled on offset analog sticks for a reason.

They really didn't. Microsoft just copied the layout of the dreamcast controller and shoved the extra stick and buttons wherever there was space. That's the only reason they put the stick where they did and the buttons in that order

Meanwhile Nintendo's been switching between symmetrical and asymmetrical layouts every generation and only settled on the switch layout because it works with the gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Apparently RP3 pre-orders are starting now. I've been on the fence about an RP2+ because I wanted a bigger screen. Is there any other machines coming out worth waiting for? The downside seems if it's just an RP2+ again, it might not have as much power as other machines coming to market in late 2022.