Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Pick 3+ and color and preorder. The 2+ and color says buy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

I thought the 2 and 3 was ram count.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HelloNewman posted:

I thought the 2 and 3 was ram count.

It's.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so based on the retroid 3 specs, is it good enough to play PS2 RPGs? The 2+ couldn't handle Super Robot Wars OG fan translated real well. It felt mostly like CPU/GPU chug.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
At a glance I'd say it won't be much of an improvement in that area

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
My RGB10 Max 2 has a USB-C port marked as "OTG". Any interesting accessories that can go in this? I guess I can plug a usb thumb drive in here, but I don't see an interface for moving files around on the device.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

coconono posted:

so based on the retroid 3 specs, is it good enough to play PS2 RPGs? The 2+ couldn't handle Super Robot Wars OG fan translated real well. It felt mostly like CPU/GPU chug.

No.

You'll still want a more powerful device like Steam Deck, Aya, or an Xbox.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah I think after this love affair with the PS4, I'm gonna be a Xbox Dad for a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Powkiddy have excelled themselves, putting out a device in 2022 that can't run SNES and Mega Drive games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV98X6ZLQj4

And Trimui are putting out a small handheld that is weirdly endearing to me.
https://twitter.com/RKezins/status/1560329631982567425

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 19, 2022

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Taki roasting the RP3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooToyLhEq20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol god drat haha

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Well I'm glad I didn't preorder one lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lol that video also makes Taki look uhh, to put it nicely, really naive. Like, never trust a company/corporation to do a thing they say they'll do until they've already done it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

lol these things have been sitting in some cargo container since November I bet.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I switched back to the stock firmware with the RG353P and while the performance of Dreamcast and Saturn has suffered a bit, I'm really liking this device. It seems pretty snappy and on a TV, looks really great. I'm sure there are some settings I can tweak for less jagginess, crashes in Saturn, and I'm hoping they continue to push updates, plus there are some things I have yet to try, but I am quite satisfied for now.

When I'm playing GB or GBA or any "handheld" sort of emulator, games have this kind of weird, square, shaded pixel/mosaic appearance. It does look kind of cool with Pokemon mini and wonderswan, but for GBA it's like, nah. If it's some kind of post-processing effect, I can't figure a way to disable it

jelOS had a few different scrapers to choose from, but stock linux only has the ratings scraper, and the big French one. I've been to their website but I've never used Patreon so I'm a little scared and can't really figure it out. Can I just pay for a month on Patreon and ask for a particular user name? I dunno, it's unclear to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For pateron you subscribe via their individual page. Which OS distributes via patreon? jelOS is open source.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Screenscraper.fr is what mean by "the French one." I'm talking about scrapers. Sorry if that was unclear

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

Well….gonna try to cancel my pre order. Hopefully it’s not a pain.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I didn't order the RP3 because I just bought the RP2+. It's good to be a late adopter sometimes. :)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Walla posted:

I didn't order the RP3 because I just bought the RP2+. It's good to be a late adopter sometimes. :)

It's almost always good to be a late adopter. You have a chance to see issues fixed, you get to hear about problems with the device, etc. Only problem is when the devices are really good and run out early

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 19, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

evilmiera posted:

It's almost always good to be a late adopter. You have a chance to see issues fixed

As someone who bought a G5 iMac the day pre-orders went out and had the inverter die the first minute it was powered on... THIS.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Unless things have changed you shouldn’t need to do anything with patreon for screenacraper.fr, just go on their website and make an account.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah you just need a free account. If you support them you get more download threads and warm feelings, that's it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

lol that video also makes Taki look uhh, to put it nicely, really naive. Like, never trust a company/corporation to do a thing they say they'll do until they've already done it.

The scene's biggest yesman mark? Nooo surely not!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
started messing with MAME on a 351p and it's running all of the great Cave shooters, and they're quite playable in tate mode :awesome:

that's a big plus for this device but i've never spotted it in any reviews

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Cool thank you for the scrape thing. I don't know why I was vexed by the website. I guess it's hard to navigate on a tiny phone. Anyway the scraping works well. I played some Kirby block ball just now .

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
What are the best choices for an Android TV box with ethernet connection? I'm wanting better emulator and game streaming performance than what RP2+ does but I haven't seen a post about non handhelds in a while.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Beffica posted:

What are the best choices for an Android TV box with ethernet connection? I'm wanting better emulator and game streaming performance than what RP2+ does but I haven't seen a post about non handhelds in a while.

your one and only choice really is the NVidia Shield

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Cool thank you for the scrape thing. I don't know why I was vexed by the website. I guess it's hard to navigate on a tiny phone. Anyway the scraping works well. I played some Kirby block ball just now .

To be fair the website itself is uh, not greatly designed

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is the current Rasberry Pi still the go to for a box emulator you can plug into the TV or has something better come along that doesn't cost $200?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think some of the Android TV sticks have gotten solid emulation performance, specifically the Amazon Fire TV HD. There’s also an increasing number of handhelds that do HDMI out and support external controllers. The Pi is a bit too limited and expensive these days though still perfectly fine if you have one lying around.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah if you already have a Pi3 or Pi4 kicking about then that's fine for most things up to PS1 (and I think N64, maybe some DC on the 4), if not you probably want to look at a Shield box or something instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You could also go down the path of finding an old office PC with a decent CPU and using that if you’re willing to do a bit of work like replacing the hard drive.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There’s no 3+ yet; the specs dropdown is in regards to the RAM, 2GB or 3GB

e: I don’t know how I responded to such an old post. Disregard this and/or shame me publicly.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Does a console that’d be an Ultimate DS exist yet?
One with actual two screens?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I think Nintendo may have made one a while back.

I have an old DS lite knocking around that's just collecting dust, I think I have an old r4 card too

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I couldn’t find a decent one so I just got a used *new* 2DS and homebrew’d it. It now has a huge library of GBA, DS and new 3DS games built in.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah, that’s been my idea, but since those are somehow still about the price of a new Switch around here, I thought maybe there’s a version without proprietary… everything lol. Oh well

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'll check that mine's still functioning, but I'll let go of it for like $100 + shipping. As I said, it's collecting dust. Didn't mod it, just have an r4 card that works for most things.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

goblin week posted:

Does a console that’d be an Ultimate DS exist yet?
One with actual two screens?
Just gonna point you over to this thread in SAMart where goon jbone sells refurbed PSPs and DSes for entirely reasonable prices. He currently has one DSi XL, which should come with Unlaunch already installed on it, which allows you to stick TwilightMenu++ on an SD card, and also a bunch of Lites and original model DSes. Bought a DSi XL from him myself, works like a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Commander Keene posted:

Just gonna point you over to this thread in SAMart where goon jbone sells refurbed PSPs and DSes for entirely reasonable prices. He currently has one DSi XL, which should come with Unlaunch already installed on it, which allows you to stick TwilightMenu++ on an SD card, and also a bunch of Lites and original model DSes. Bought a DSi XL from him myself, works like a dream.

Oh wow some of those are amazing.

poo poo do I want a GB Pocket..?