Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

What are you guys using for your RP2 setups if not Retroid OS? Retroarch seems decent, but should I use individual apps instead of cores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

What are you guys using for your RP2 setups if not Retroid OS? Retroarch seems decent, but should I use individual apps instead of cores?

So far retroarch for everything except n64, I use n64oid because mupen sucked for everything regardless of the settings I used.

EDIT:

I also use PPPPPPPSSSSSSPPPPPP or whatever for PSP and drastic for NDS. I haven't tried any GBA or dreamcast, but I hear flycast is good for the latter and there are a few options for the former.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 25, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I get away with Pokémon black/white on a single screen and no touch? I assume I can rig a trigger to flash the screens back and forth?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Can I get away with Pokémon black/white on a single screen and no touch? I assume I can rig a trigger to flash the screens back and forth?

Yeah, people recommend drastic and mapping that to a trigger. I'm not sure about that specific game, but you can find lists online of ds games that are okay to play with one screen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, people recommend drastic and mapping that to a trigger. I'm not sure about that specific game, but you can find lists online of ds games that are okay to play with one screen.

Thanks for the heads up. Got Drastic for 5 bucks off the play store and it works right out of the box with the roms I have. Lots of screen and control customization options.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What was y'alls turnaround time using DHL for the RP2? I'm at 16 days without any indication of progress besides the original confirmation emails.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 28, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bogart posted:

What was y'alls turnaround time using DHL for the RP2? I'm at 16 days without any indication of progress besides the original confirmation emails.

I got nothing until DHL sent me a shipping notification via text. I got my order 2 days later. Then a week after that I got a message from Retroid saying it had shipped. So yeah their update system great.

The time between ordering and shipping was roughly 3 weeks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Looks like the RP2 batch two new colors (RMS, RS1, RS2, 8bit, 16bit US) aren't shipping out until after the national holiday :negative: so it'll be a bit yet.

9/2 order, 16bit US colorway... the 9/25 supposed batch two shipping start date was clearly not met for the new colors.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d probably buy another if they’d make an atomic clear purple.

Also, is there a simple program for cloning an image of mine? Now that I have the settings and rom lists perfect I’d like to hide a backup somewhere just in case I ever need to replace it (or I break the OS again.)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

They're making atomic translucent colorways for most of the other N64 color variants, except smoke and purple. They will be making a purple variant but it's more of a grape, not a carbon copy of the N64 color.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got any pics or links?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I wound up buying and modifying a ps vita instead of buying one of these for $120. I’m not sure I made the right choice but I’m happy for now.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Rolo posted:

I’d probably buy another if they’d make an atomic clear purple.

Also, is there a simple program for cloning an image of mine? Now that I have the settings and rom lists perfect I’d like to hide a backup somewhere just in case I ever need to replace it (or I break the OS again.)

Tell them you want it. The last batch of new colors they said were in response to customer requests.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Rolo posted:

Got any pics or links?

This is from Taki, one of the youtubers whose Retroid videos blew the gently caress up and drove a bunch of traffic to the product. Sounds like he's tight with the development team. No official timeline yet on when these will be available for pre-order on the website, but I would not be surprised to see them there shortly after the national holiday is done next week.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat that’s cool looking.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Given the popularity and nostalgia people have for Atomic Purple I’m super surprised they’re not headlining with that.

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
Hey, I'm not getting anywhere near the performance people on youtube are getting for Dreamcast and PSP. I was getting something like 25% on Tactics Ogre. I shut down all other programs and the frameskip is still horrible. Any help?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Been having fun with this so far. SNES stuff works fine on the snes9x 2002 (or whatever it is) core. Except Mario World, which feels... off? Idk, any time I have ever emulated SMW it never felt like a cart. Everything else always works fine. And I finally got to play Castlevania Circle of the Moon which is cool. It controls rather stiff but I think that's just the game rather than the emulator

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Been having fun with this so far. SNES stuff works fine on the snes9x 2002 (or whatever it is) core. Except Mario World, which feels... off? Idk, any time I have ever emulated SMW it never felt like a cart. Everything else always works fine. And I finally got to play Castlevania Circle of the Moon which is cool. It controls rather stiff but I think that's just the game rather than the emulator

Whatever of Sorrow is another good GBA CV game.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rolo posted:

Whatever of Sorrow is another good GBA CV game.

That and Harmony of Dissonance are on the list. Growing up I was always more on the Metroid side of Metroidvanias. Symphony was the only Castlevania I've ever played.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 12, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Symphony is so so good and the PSX core with Retroarch on these things runs it really well so far.

Absolutely play that, anyone that hasn’t, it’s up there with Super Metroid.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That and Harmony of Dissonance are on the list. Growing up I was always more on the Metroid side of Metroidvanias. Symphony was the only Castlevania I've ever played a

this man was killed halfway through posting. too upset that he never finished the castlevanias. one like = one prayer

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

News from Retroid:

-there is a delay with some of the new shell colors from batch two - 16bit US, RS1, RS2 orders haven't had a single unit ship yet. They've also delayed the Funtastic colors for a bit.

-Huawei done goofed on their chip supply, and seemingly aren't providing the allocation that was expected. Sounds like Retroid is trying to line up alternate suppliers to help fill the gap.

So if you ordered one in late August or the first two weeks of September and haven't gotten a ship notification yet, you might be waiting a while... they're currently sending out an Oprah-esque response of "you get two weeks! You get two weeks! Everybody gets two weeks!" To all inquiries right now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

The Science Goy posted:

News from Retroid:

-there is a delay with some of the new shell colors from batch two - 16bit US, RS1, RS2 orders haven't had a single unit ship yet. They've also delayed the Funtastic colors for a bit.

-Huawei done goofed on their chip supply, and seemingly aren't providing the allocation that was expected. Sounds like Retroid is trying to line up alternate suppliers to help fill the gap.

So if you ordered one in late August or the first two weeks of September and haven't gotten a ship notification yet, you might be waiting a while... they're currently sending out an Oprah-esque response of "you get two weeks! You get two weeks! Everybody gets two weeks!" To all inquiries right now.

Maaaaaaaan. :negative: Thank you for the update. I'm coming up a month after buying mine with no communication.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Slight correction- Huawei isn't the supplier. Because of US heavy regulations, Huawei have to use LCD controller IC chips from another company in their devices - the same company who provides the chips for many companies including Retroid. Huawei is releasing a new phone in ten days or something, and because they're basically Chinese Apple they have immense bargaining power over other supply chain manufacturers, so they're basically monopolizing that chip maker to manufacture this new device for the next ten days or something. And if there was any stockpile of the needed part, it's been picked over.

Source: Taki, the dude whose youtube video blew the gently caress up for the RP2. Nothing official from the company, but they let this dude into their warehouse/assembly building so gets his ear on a lot of things.

TL:DR can't get a component because industry giants can monopolize the supply chain when they have a new product coming out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Science Goy posted:

Slight correction- Huawei isn't the supplier. Because of US heavy regulations, Huawei have to use LCD controller IC chips from another company in their devices - the same company who provides the chips for many companies including Retroid. Huawei is releasing a new phone in ten days or something, and because they're basically Chinese Apple they have immense bargaining power over other supply chain manufacturers, so they're basically monopolizing that chip maker to manufacture this new device for the next ten days or something. And if there was any stockpile of the needed part, it's been picked over.

Source: Taki, the dude whose youtube video blew the gently caress up for the RP2. Nothing official from the company, but they let this dude into their warehouse/assembly building so gets his ear on a lot of things.

TL:DR can't get a component because industry giants can monopolize the supply chain when they have a new product coming out.

Yeah this has been happening with a lot of stuff since the COVID shutdowns. There are tons of people who paid up front for production that was promised to be first in line when the factories opened up. Then big companies paid out the nose to skip the line which they gladly took. Everyone that got bumped got big discounts but that doesn’t help having delays upon delays for people.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have got a an RG350 which I like, it came with Quake 2 and runs it well, I haven't tried anything above PS1 but it's legit nice

I have set up Filezilla to ftp stuff to it which is a nice touch I thought

I also have a Retron 5

I am mixed on this, it works well enough, you put original carts in it and it dumps the roms then plays it.
You can also load roms from an sd card by making sure you have a cart inserted from the platform you want to run and then loading the rom as a cheat from the sd card
The unit feels cheap as hell, weighs nothing and the controllers are absolutely shockingly poo poo
Luckily you can plug original joypads in as it has ports for them
So in some ways it feels really well thought out and in other ways it feels like a dodgy knockoff, which I guess it is really.

I also has a Raspberry Pi running Retropi and a scart port adapter

It works really well

Here is the pic I get from the CRT

Also, the original Wii is awesome, but limited by the RAM it has I find

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got hyped to buy either a 351P or a RetroidPocket2 last night, but now in the sober daylight I’m wondering if I should keep waiting for something to mature. I’m mostly interested in 16bit consoles, PS1 and GBA.

I don’t want to endlessly tweak Android and it seems like there’s a lot of that on the RP2. Reports of input lag, even on SNES SMW have me worried too.

The 351P seems like a botched release that might get revised soon. I’d like a 4:3 screen and double-dongles for wifi is lame. At first I thought wifi wouldn’t matter after initial setup, but idk, chasing Retro Achievements could be cool.

Am I expecting too much out of a $100 device?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve had 0 input lag and have been enjoying lots of SNES, GBA and PSX on my RP2.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone jumped on the RG351P yet? I’m happy with my RP2 but there have been some cool OS updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYMKrf775o&feature=youtu.be

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I bought one in the recent sales, not sure when it will get here

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

bowmore posted:

Yeah I bought one in the recent sales, not sure when it will get here

:same: mine should come by the end of the month

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My Retroid 2 is coming on the 17th and I’m not sure what will hurt more, the anticipation after months of waiting or the disappointment when I discover that it’s fine.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I got my RG351P this weekend, though it's my first "decent" one of these handhelds so I don't have much to compare against (I have a PowKiddy V90 but that was cheap enough to think of as a toy). The build quality is really great, if it didn't have the Anbernic logo below the screen you could easily believe it to be a first-party Nintendo device.

GBA games look predictably amazing, with the screen resolution/aspect ratio being perfect for it. Genesis and SNES era consoles look good with the RGA scaling, but there's the slight lack of perfect sharpness you'd get with integer scaling. PSX runs well for the games I've played, N64 and Dreamcast are really hit and miss in some unexpected ways. E.g. Pilotwings 64, all the menus are stuttery but the gameplay is fine.

It seems like a hive of activity right now with multiple custom OS images in development, a bit hard to keep track of. Spending more time setting the thing up than playing with it right now. Overall I'm really happy with it, would just like to get past the OCD curation stage and onto playing games.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I've had my RP2 for about two weeks now, it was exactly two months from order to delivery. It does what I hoped, for the most part - n64 can be a little stuttery, but ps1 runs great on third party emulators, and most ps1 works well in Retroarch. I'm having big nostalgia waves from playing games that we played as kids at the holidays, and playing some titles that I never got to play as a kid.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

My Retroid 2 is coming on the 17th and I’m not sure what will hurt more, the anticipation after months of waiting or the disappointment when I discover that it’s fine.

It's pretty good.

However, I must be missing something very obvious since I haven't seen anyone so much as mention it as an issue: how do I charge this thing?

e: I am stupid! :v:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 18, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bogart posted:

how do I charge this thing?

Isn't there a USB port of some sort?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

USB-C right on top. It comes with a cable that has USB-A on the other end, which will work with your desktop usb ports or the majority of typical device charging bricks that accumulate like mismatched socks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
rg351 seems cool, except that mine came with a busted power button, so the only way to turn it on is unscrewing the back cover.

The Aliexpress vendor wants me to pay for return shipping, so I’d probably pay the extra $10 to buy on Amazon next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

rg351 seems cool, except that mine came with a busted power button, so the only way to turn it on is unscrewing the back cover.

The Aliexpress vendor wants me to pay for return shipping, so I’d probably pay the extra $10 to buy on Amazon next time.

Are you “nnt” on Discord, or the second person I’ve seen today with a bust power button?