Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Learning about this poo poo is just wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Crossposting from a POL thread:

What a loving idiot whoever driving that truck is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a few weeks ago trueanon did an ep that talks about the post office's plight in the last few decades and how it relates to the overall ideology behind the privatization of everything on gaea's green earth

post office content starts @ 9 mins in case you don't care to hear them warm up

https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/kochd-up-part-i

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

In totally normal and not shady news

So DeJoy is trying to say Inspectors can't inspect mail theft when it's not on USPS property which loving hmbol that they even thought they could get away with something that stupid and blatant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Robviously posted:

In totally normal and not shady news

So DeJoy is trying to say Inspectors can't inspect mail theft when it's not on USPS property which loving hmbol that they even thought they could get away with something that stupid and blatant.

Are they not going to get away with it?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

The USPIS union is suing them, so no they are not going to get away with it.

Anything that changes what the scope of work is, for any bargaining craft, is generally against the union contract and they will not want to gently caress with the ramifications of that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I am rooting for postal goons. gonna buy stamps as soon as I can step outside and not choke to death on toxic smoke

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
What is the cheapest way to ship to Finland (with USPS) I owe a buddy an illegal package of sriracha sauces.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I worked at the Post office for 16 years and then I quit because gently caress that place and the people in charge

Edit : ama, I guess

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Derpies posted:

What is the cheapest way to ship to Finland (with USPS) I owe a buddy an illegal package of sriracha sauces.

if it's under 4lbs you can send it first-class international, which is usually pretty cheap. the only downside is that some countries won't scan the customs # for a delivery scan, but if you're sending it to a friend idk how much that matters

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Robviously posted:

Until the day I die, I will forever repeat: the profitability of the USPS is irrelevant. It is a vital service, it should be funded and treated as such.

sure but it's even more worth repeating that the USPS is solvent and self-sustaining, and that republicans intentionally sabotaged it because they want to destroy any part of the government that's not enriching the wealthy

Robviously posted:

Crossposting from a POL thread:

What a loving idiot whoever driving that truck is.

I read that the bags were all bulk rate mail and that this was almost certainly someone paid to collect junk mail from businesses and then take it to a central post office, independently

so in other words this is what probably happened:
to minimize expenses the businesses chose the lowest possible rate that requires you to truck it in yourself, and hired the cheapest courier service to pick it up
that delivery service hired a minimum wage driver and gave them an impossible schedule of amazon deliveries and junk mail pickups
that minimum wage driver looked at a 10 hour schedule with no piss breaks and decided gently caress these bags of junk mail that no-one will ever miss or notice
if everyone wasn't so keyed up about the mail being hosed with ahead of the election, no-one would have noticed expect the parking lot owner, who would have thrown it in a dumpster

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 15, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh dope posted:

gently caress that place and the people in charge

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Possible injunction incoming?

https://apnews.com/27f8cfb536769d5b9b26ba354f501fca

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hats off to the maintenance crew and clerks in johnstown PA. literally the only processing center in the entire country where the machines are performing at or above the usps baseline. I don't know how they did it, but I expect it's the result of consistently and adamantly telling people to gently caress off when they tried to remove/move or tarp machines.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

hats off to the maintenance crew and clerks in johnstown PA. literally the only processing center in the entire country where the machines are performing at or above the usps baseline. I don't know how they did it, but I expect it's the result of consistently and adamantly telling people to gently caress off when they tried to remove/move or tarp machines.

no love for the mail handlers? i weep.

https://www.minnpost.com/other-nonp...voting-by-mail/
here's some details about how usps is failing us in the covid poo poo.

anecdotally, my processing center would absolutely have a serious outbreak if anyone working the machines i work got covid.

fermun fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 27, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:(

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fermun posted:

no love for the mail handlers? i weep.

unless your people are responsible for the flat sorter they don't really figure into the numbers I'm looking at. it's not an omission out of, like, spite or anything.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Armed postal inspectors are interesting. In San Juan County in WA, someone put fireworks in a mailbox so four inspectors were sent to look at it, because technically it was an explosive attack on federal property, although nothing came of it. But the inspectors got to take a ferry ride to a pleasant island.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
then you don't know anything. a processing center couldn't operate without mail handlers. what the gently caress are they gonna process if they have no mail?

we load letters, flats, and parcels into the machine. we take them from the machines to the docks. clerks sit on a stool and watch the machine process poo poo. hell, letters don't barely have any clerks working the machine it' almost all mail handlers.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

craft infighting in the postal thread.

a lovely clerk on a db or an afcs can make an otherwise fine machine jam and misfeed and generally gently caress up (and subsequently get a bunch of out of sort/sequence problems and slow running machine), likewise a good clerk can limp a lovely machine through a run with a minimum of problems. if mailhandlers are running those in your facility (and the afcs isn't a legacy), then they're staffiing different than I've seen anywhere else, if it's by local mou, your union leadership probably deserves a high five, if it's by management saying "gently caress the contract, get a mailhandler to do it", that poo poo needs to stop.

again, not dogging the hard work of the mailhandlers, but who stages the poo poo and what happens to it after the machine is swept doesn't directly affect what I'm looking at.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I just got my letter for Stewardship training in two weeks. Can't wait to be more of a pain in my manager's rear end. :gritin:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

post office bringin me bad news every day, but i still love you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anyone know if the thing about Q believer delivery persons just liquidating mail and ballots was true? A friend mentioned it but didn't source it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Anyone know if the thing about Q believer delivery persons just liquidating mail and ballots was true? A friend mentioned it but didn't source it.

mostly accurate, there were 2 people that were caught throwing away mail, one was a q-anon believer carrier, the other one they didn't mention his role just that he was a postal employee. the carrier threw away 9 trash bags full of mail, the other 1 trash bag. they didn't throw away any ballots, they threw away absentee ballot request forms. the carrier also threw away any campaign advertisements for democrats that he was supposed to deliver on his route.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fermun posted:

mostly accurate, there were 2 people that were caught throwing away mail, one was a q-anon believer carrier, the other one they didn't mention his role just that he was a postal employee. the carrier threw away 9 trash bags full of mail, the other 1 trash bag. they didn't throw away any ballots, they threw away absentee ballot request forms. the carrier also threw away any campaign advertisements for democrats that he was supposed to deliver on his route.

as usual with q poo poo it's even dumber than I imagined

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

any chance the libs will do anything to repair the institution that delivered them the presidency or will they continue the dejoy death spiral towards privatization because gently caress the working class having money or clout or dignity and gently caress the american public having public services?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nothing Will Change

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I personally want to take a moment to thank USPS workers tho, y'all are loving hardcore imo

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think nothing will change but if anything does it will be for the better. Having people in charge that are willing to look at repealing the pre-funding mandates will be a good first step. The goal, I think, is to hammer home the point that we're a service and not a business but I'll take any small victory I can.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh i just meant society-wise nothing will change.

postal service-wise i think some decent things might happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Robviously posted:

I don't think nothing will change but if anything does it will be for the better. Having people in charge that are willing to look at repealing the pre-funding mandates will be a good first step. The goal, I think, is to hammer home the point that we're a service and not a business but I'll take any small victory I can.

pretty sure part of the eas narcissist zombiification program is making those assholes physically incapable of saying that the usps is a federal agency and not a business so good luck with that.

there is no reform, only revolution