Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Wikipedia but its written by Boomhauer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

A weird Rainman effortlessly hijacking your language must be the most powerful own of scots since prima nocta

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We have the best language ever and are proud of our heritage which can’t survive an 18 year old yank with an extended edition of Braveheart

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Noblesse Obliged posted:

A weird Rainman effortlessly hijacking your language must be the most powerful own of scots since prima nocta

Oh he's pretty bad, but not as bad as the Scots! Hate those guys
-the Scots

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Phlegmish posted:

While that's presumably true, I feel like that goes for the majority of British English dialects

I think you're probably right. Is this correlated to how far north one is? Any goons with more ears on experience care to comment?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Weka posted:

I think you're probably right. Is this correlated to how far north one is? Any goons with more ears on experience care to comment?

Nah there are unintelligible accents all over the country, even in London there was once the cockney dialect which could be confusing to outsiders if they were using the full slang and a deep accent, though it's largely died off now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man, I didn't think our language problems COULD get worse after Jim Henson single-handedly destroyed Swedish.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
basically Scots is one part a dialect continuum of "how much french got added to your anglo-saxon," and at the Most Scots-y it's "basically none" and it genuinely is a full language at the far end, but also basically no Scots speakers speak that zero french Scots.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

basically Scots is one part a dialect continuum of "how much french got added to your anglo-saxon," and at the Most Scots-y it's "basically none" and it genuinely is a full language at the far end, but also basically no Scots speakers speak that zero french Scots.

https://anglish.fandom.com/wiki/Main_leaf

Edit: https://anglish.fandom.com/wiki/Scots_Gelish_tung

quote:

This leaf is a stub. You can help the Anglish Moot by swelling it.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 28, 2020

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
aye’m gay

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm half Scottish and have lived in Scotland most of my life. I work for a big American company and regularly (well, did) travel over for work.

It was a running joke/party trick with my coworkers that I could move between speaking in Scots from where I grew up and Scottish inflected English at will, and they would understand maybe 20% of the former and all of the latter.

So if you're going to make an argument about its position on the dialect to patois to language spectrum, that's fine, I'm not sure about that myself - but saying it's just badly spelled English is a load of absolute pish. I can code switch at will with fellow Scottish people as a joke and become vastly less immediately intelligible to people from the south and often do for fun.

Also, Scotaboos and American people saying "oh I'm Scaadish too!" when their great great great granny was are the actual worst

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

CountryMatters posted:

Nah there are unintelligible accents all over the country, even in London there was once the cockney dialect which could be confusing to outsiders if they were using the full slang and a deep accent, though it's largely died off now.

Is it too late for me to do my planned genocide of the cockney peoples by playing the opposite sound of Bow Bells, canceling the noise, thereby preventing anyone from being born within earshot (the traditional identifier of a cockney)?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

To be perfectly honest the closest the average Scottish person gets to Scots language is on Burns night. Yes there are a bunch of people who speak their regional heavily accented and slang laden versions of English who would fervently claim it’s Scots but the reality is that aside from the odd surviving bits and pieces it’s hardly the same thing. There are people who genuinely speak it but to most people it’s a cultural relic that’s been supplanted by something much closed to standard English with an accent.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Scouse needs to get declared its own language too, I'm tired of putting on airs around my southern coworkers just because they're addicted to pansy things like "pauses between words" and "punctuation"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

CountryMatters posted:

People now might struggle to understand young people from London now due to Multicultural London English to be fair, what with all the slang that comes from, shock horror, non white countries.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Whorelord posted:

People now might struggle to understand young people from London now due to Multicultural London English to be fair, what with all the slang that comes from, shock horror, non white countries.

The English are the last people who should be complaining about slang terms from other countries coming into their language

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

To be perfectly honest the closest the average Scottish person gets to Scots language is on Burns night. Yes there are a bunch of people who speak their regional heavily accented and slang laden versions of English who would fervently claim it’s Scots but the reality is that aside from the odd surviving bits and pieces it’s hardly the same thing. There are people who genuinely speak it but to most people it’s a cultural relic that’s been supplanted by something much closed to standard English with an accent.

Bet you anything you're from Edinburgh

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

A CRAB IRL posted:

Bet you anything you're from Edinburgh

No but I reckon you’d nail it with guess number 2.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
The Scots Play.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I was up in the northeast and could hardly understand the taxi driver I had, with his thick Doric accent. I hear people from the Hebrides/out West are harder to understand but I never went there nor met anyone from there.

It’s a great place full of cool people with weird accents.

As far as it being just badly spelled English, I suggest going there and talking to some people, particularly working class or people in rural areas. It definitely becomes more than an accent the farther out you go.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Wrong tung, this is the one you want: https://anglish.fandom.com/wiki/Lowland_Scottish_tung

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mr Teatime posted:

Ullapool?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jings! Crivens!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CountryMatters posted:

Scouse needs to get declared its own language too, I'm tired of putting on airs around my southern coworkers just because they're addicted to pansy things like "pauses between words" and "punctuation"

Well there's already a specific keyboard just for it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I mean most of Scotland speaks it and one of the greatest and most famous poets in the western canon wrote in it almost exclusively.

Its obscure-ish. Its not wikipedia is the only natural example of this language and we can only trust google translate obscure.

lol nothing written in that gobbledygook is in the western canon

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Devils Affricate posted:

Honestly surprised someone hasn't made a version of Wikipedia written entirely in that internet furry uwu language

american english?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

This leaf is a stub. You can help the Anglish Moot by swelling it.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

St. Andrews

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Devils Affricate posted:

Honestly surprised someone hasn't made a version of Wikipedia written entirely in that internet furry uwu language

Is that a furry thing? I always thought it was a pedophile thing. (But I repeat myself.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mr Teatime posted:

Loch Ness?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

you broke my grill posted:

I think this person has possibly done more damage to the Scots language than anyone else in history.[/i]

they should remake Braveheart but have this nerd be the villain instead of the king of england

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mr Teatime posted:

i mean, that's the thing, it's definitely endangered. the people who care about things like saving welsh will care more about saving scottish gaelic, which is deader, but more prestigious, and better preserved

naem
May 29, 2011

kntfkr posted:

It's shite being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low! Scum of the loving earth!

https://youtu.be/HpVhSx0fZwM

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

A CRAB IRL posted:

Also, Scotaboos and American people saying "oh I'm Scaadish too!" when their great great great granny was are the actual worst

American here, I'd much rather have those people be proud to be Scottish (or even English), than proud to be White.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

American here, I'd much rather have those people be proud to be Scottish (or even English), than proud to be White.

Yeah, because the same bullshit but only more restricted makes it better somehow.

naem
May 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Oh he's pretty bad, but not as bad as the Scots! Hate those guys
-the Scots

https://youtu.be/i2q0T7QXETs

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

screamin and creamin posted:

Yeah, because the same bullshit but only more restricted makes it better somehow.

ethnocentrism isnt going away any time soon but racism is a babby in comparison and it just might

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
if scottish or scotch is a real language then why isnt the newcastle geordie leprechaun gibberish? it is not english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/k--69_kTtEc