Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I've never cooked tofu but I like it in miso soup when we get sushi. My wife hates it so I get her extra. I should learn how to make miso soup at home since it'll be awhile yet before we go get sushi

This is probably a bad take but miso soup is so cheap from a sushi restaurant and I feel like, best case, a homemade version will cost and taste the same. One of those things that there's no benefit to making at home, like ketchup or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah but I can't go to a sushi restaurant right now

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
The miso soup in Chinese restaurants tastes like a pleasant, rich stock, but instant miso soup powders taste like fried tomatoes and seawater. Why is there such a big difference?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Who What Now posted:

Yeah but I can't go to a sushi restaurant right now

i'm pretty sure miso soup is just miso paste and dashi. you can probably sub dashi for any kind of broth and get more or less scratch the it ch

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

End of Shoelace posted:

The miso soup in Chinese restaurants tastes like a pleasant, rich stock, but instant miso soup powders taste like fried tomatoes and seawater. Why is there such a big difference?

I don't know the answer, but please order a different soup at Chinese restaurants. West Lake, hot and sour, congee(I guess thats more of a stew?), Won ton soup are all good options. Birds nest or shark fin (with fake shark fin hopefully) if you're feeling fancy

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Would if I could. It's a buffet-style restaurant with really good dishes in general, but only miso soup as an option.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm the basic bitch that likes egg drop soup and clear soup

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I like to toss firm tofu in some corn starch and oil and herbs and soy sauce then douse it with lemon juice when it's on the pan (don't soak it in the juice I made that mistake once, tofu is a sponge), then just oven bake it for a while. comes out crispy and firm and tasty.

Nutritional yeast is gross and tastes like old sweatsocks. I'd rather never eat cheese again than eat that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love any and all soups

Soup owns

Especially when you take the leftovers next day and boil it down with some rice to make a delicious porridge

doing this with the broth left over from your instant ramen is also recommended

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Throw it in the garbage, op. You'll get the most enjoyment out of it that way

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

start first by informing yourself, and thanking the curd. This 'taste like nothing' thing, is a malformed thought preventing you from the experience it has to offer you.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Who What Now posted:

I've never cooked tofu but I like it in miso soup when we get sushi. My wife hates it so I get her extra. I should learn how to make miso soup at home since it'll be awhile yet before we go get sushi

it's not too hard, but you have to get some odd ingredients

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Skratte posted:

Nutritional yeast is gross and tastes like old sweatsocks. I'd rather never eat cheese again than eat that.

Whoa, I've never heard that take. Have you tried sprinkling it on some popcorn?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

End of Shoelace posted:

So I'm finding out that the skin that forms on boiled soymilk is a delicacy???

This is really good in a hotpot OP.

Spicier the better, add in some fried tofu and veggies and rice cakes and poo poo and you've got a big tasty pot of good stuff. The bean curd is still just a weird chewie thing that reminds me of raw hide dog treats but it has its charm, yano?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Buy it from a good Japanese restaurant and stop trying to make it at home

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Shoot it into your femoral artery.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I suck at cooking but the only thing I know about cooking tofu is press all the water out of it like you are pressing the life force out of your most hated foe.

Then replace all that water with soy sauce or something else idfk

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Kalit posted:

Whoa, I've never heard that take. Have you tried sprinkling it on some popcorn?

Sounds nasty.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

With firm tofu you can dry it a bit, cube it and coat it in starch+seasoning. Then fry it up and top with sauce.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Cut a big slice and fry it like spam

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Skratte posted:

Sounds nasty.

From an anecdotal perspective of my friends, it seems to be the most enjoyable use of nutritional yeast. Very unscientific. But I would recommend if you're somewhere with popcorn and nutritional yeast (or if you still have some laying around), to give it a shot before 100% burning the bridge with nutritional yeast.

E:

Pawn 17 posted:

With firm tofu you can dry it a bit, cube it and coat it in starch+seasoning. Then fry it up and top with sauce.

Now I'm really craving sesame tofu...I need to try to make it one of these days.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is probably a bad take but miso soup is so cheap from a sushi restaurant and I feel like, best case, a homemade version will cost and taste the same. One of those things that there's no benefit to making at home, like ketchup or something.

Miso soup is cheap because it’s basically just a freebie when you’re effectively paying 50 dollars a pound for fish, but it’s even cheaper at home and is boil water levels of difficulty, you buy it as a paste and add it to water. Avoid ones that advertise as vegetarian (unless you are a vegetarian I guess) because fish is an important part of the flavor profile.

Making the paste otoh probably is one of those things where it’s more trouble than it’s worth unless you’re into it as a hobby. I do basically everything from scratch that’s reasonable but fermentation just feels like a bridge too far.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

tofu is best enjoyed rectally, op

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lucky Guy posted:

tofu is best enjoyed rectally, op

I mean, if you eat it you get to enjoy it both orally and rectally...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
drain the tofu and cut it into rectangles, put a paper towel down, put the rectangles flat on the paper towel, sprinkle some kosher salt on them, put another paper towel on top and then a cutting board and wait a while

after you've waited a while take a frying pan and put some oil in it and put it on the heat, fry the tofu one side then the other until its nice and golden and with crispy edges

put it on a paper towel to drain the oil, then make some sauce and meat and veggies or w/e, braise it in the sauce a little bit and eat it

The best way to prepare tofu is the pan fry with the optional quick braise in sauce

something like this there are infinite variations

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 27, 2020

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Tofu is just bland protein and can be treated almost identically to something like chicken breasts and come out fine. Coat it and fry it, stir fry it, chunk it into a soup, etc. it is no more or less bland than most lean protein and should be prepared accordingly, to most people this means a dish that adds salt, fat, and flavorful spices/herbs, or to a body builder it just means putting it on top of carefully portioned rice and wondering to yourself if this meal will be the one that breaks you.

Nothing beyond that needs to be done, and if you think it does my guess is you just have a weird western hang up with tofu because there’s a lot of social stigma that swirls around it relation to vegetarians, hipsters, and soyboys. The non racist fact is that it’s actually very boring by itself but an otherwise great flavor sponge and even pairs well with fattier meats so there’s no reason to be weird about it. Dice up some bacon and cook it, fry some green beans, mushrooms, onions, and tofu in the grease and enjoy it, do whatever the gently caress you want with it. I put tofu in casseroles, try and stop me.

If you already like tofu and are looking for something different, get some on the firmer side, cube it, freeze it, then thaw it out and drain before adding to a soup (or otherwise saucy dish). As the water freezes the tofu expands and cracks and when you thaw it out you get a more porous airy structure, the texture is different and it will fill up with whatever liquids you cook it in. Be careful when eating because even if you let the outside cool a bit when you bite into it you’ll get an explosion of boiling liquid in your mouth.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
A discovery. I've heard that "abura-age", twice fried thin tofu, is a really kickass noodle topping.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Miso soup is cheap because it’s basically just a freebie when you’re effectively paying 50 dollars a pound for fish, but it’s even cheaper at home and is boil water levels of difficulty, you buy it as a paste and add it to water. Avoid ones that advertise as vegetarian (unless you are a vegetarian I guess) because fish is an important part of the flavor profile.

Making the paste otoh probably is one of those things where it’s more trouble than it’s worth unless you’re into it as a hobby. I do basically everything from scratch that’s reasonable but fermentation just feels like a bridge too far.

I've never been able to find a paste that really gets it right. Do you have a preferred brand? I have access to lots of Asian grocery stores but maybe I've just been picking the wrong things.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Also: aren't Afro-Asian grocers great? Really cheap sauces, vegetables you can't get at Walmart or wherever, kickass condiments, amazing snacks...

I do kinda feel like a culture tourist whenever I visit one, but I can't find any of that tasty stuff anywhere else.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've never been able to find a paste that really gets it right. Do you have a preferred brand? I have access to lots of Asian grocery stores but maybe I've just been picking the wrong things.

I would bet you heaps of cash most of the restaurants that have served you miso are just using paste also, so it might be a placebo thing unless you’ve been overseas.

Only real recommendation I’d make is that it includes dashi (not vegetarian).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Seitan is really good too, it's fermented soy beans that still have texture and aren't just an even block of protein. Also textured vegetable protein which is dehydrated soy beans left over from extracting the oil from them, rehydrate them with some broth and you have some amazing crumbles.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Hail seitan for sure

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Cube it, press it, run it through a dehydrator until completely dry, grind it to powder, mix it 50-50 with heroin and smoke it on foil, OP.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Xaintrailles posted:

Cube it, press it, run it through a dehydrator until completely dry, grind it to powder, mix it 50-50 with heroin and smoke it on foil, OP.

I would turn into a crack fiend, but also get REALLY interested in the feminist theory of Judith Butler

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Every year or two I'll see some tofu dish on the menu at a restaurant or a cooking website and think "maybe this is when I'll star liking tofu". It never is. I think the best tofu thing I've had was some sort of fried tofu skin sushi at a sushi place in Japan and even then it was least good part of that meal.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
here's a good tofu lifehack if you're lazy like me but love tofu:

if you didn't drain/press your tofu, you can microwave it for a little bit. It hardens it up and constricts, squeezing the water out, which leaves it in a state that's perfect for stir frying

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Eat tempeh instead

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Seitan is really good too, it's fermented soy beans that still have texture and aren't just an even block of protein. Also textured vegetable protein which is dehydrated soy beans left over from extracting the oil from them, rehydrate them with some broth and you have some amazing crumbles.

:actually: Tempeh is fermented soy beans, seitan is wheat gluten.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 27, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

End of Shoelace posted:

Also: aren't Afro-Asian grocers great? Really cheap sauces, vegetables you can't get at Walmart or wherever, kickass condiments, amazing snacks...

If I could live at the T&T Supermarket in Metrotown I would tbh

Hell I'd even live in any of the other ones in the city but the Metrotown location owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The trick is not to use tofu as meat replacement because then it tastes either like nothing or like slightly less tasty meat. Yes even if you mix it with a gallon of sugar sauce. Exception is fried tofu but that ain't healthy.
Instead, add it to a dish and it good.

Or, if you are vergan, just stop cooking a meal around a center protein cause that's dumb.