Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ya tofu (bean CURD) isn’t Asian meat substitute it is Asian cheese, it goes in dishes with other stuff like meat.

Popular tofu centered dishes in China and Japan are really only great if it’s great tofu in them, which you won’t easily find a lot of places in the west.

Whatever the Japanese thing is called with a block of tofu sitting in cold stock with scallions, think of it like a piece of buffala mozarella with basil and olive oil. For it to be outstanding you need really good fresh mozzarella or burrata or something, cheap mass market grocery store stuff will bring down the dish. It might be ok but you wouldn’t pay 18 bucks for it in a restaurant.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

just throw some Frank's Red Hot on it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

just throw some Frank's Red Hot on it

I APPLY THIS SAUCE TO A MULTITUDE OF VARIOUS DISHES

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

When I was in Thailand you could buy an extremely firm tofu that was preseasoned with turmeric. It was really good and maybe you can try that and throw it in a pad thai or a curry. Maybe do the freezer method before doing the turmeric thing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If tofu is just like chicken breast then I’m gonna make some tofu parmigiana

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What do they use to make the sofritas at Chipotle? It seems a lot like extra firm tofu to me and it's delicious.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Get the firmest tofu you can find, cut into large 'steaks', marinate in whatever you like (I've done this with everything from Korean BBQ marinade to Sweet Baby Ray's to some vinegarette salad dressing I was trying to use up) and grill it.

It's not meat, but it's fine. That's pretty much tofu.

I've done everything on earth to tofu and this post right here, this, is the universal all knowing poo poo that you will come back to. It's this.

Tofu is great and you can do everything and nothing to it.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Propaganda Machine posted:

What do they use to make the sofritas at Chipotle? It seems a lot like extra firm tofu to me and it's delicious.

It's tofu. You can make it by crumbling up and throwing it in the oven with a bunch of spices. The similar ish thing I've made is https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-tofu-taco-crumbles/, which has turned out really well! There are also copycat recipes out there if that's exactly what you're looking for as well, I just haven't tried any of them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kalit posted:

It's tofu. You can make it by crumbling up and throwing it in the oven with a bunch of spices. The similar ish thing I've made is https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-tofu-taco-crumbles/, which has turned out really well! There are also copycat recipes out there if that's exactly what you're looking for as well, I just haven't tried any of them.

drat, that sure looks like how to enjoy tofu. Can't wait to try that recipe, thanks!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just made some spring rolls for the first time and put tofu in it. Was delicious.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
dont be funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ized1XMRp_I

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Just made some spring rolls for the first time and put tofu in it. Was delicious.

I really need to practice rolling them, I'm terrible at it. How did you prepare the tofu for it? Just fried in strips or...?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Kalit posted:

I really need to practice rolling them, I'm terrible at it. How did you prepare the tofu for it? Just fried in strips or...?

I just used a tofu press and made thin strips. I suck at rolling it too but the good thing is that it sticks to itself so pinched the ends. I really like the mint and cilantro.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Piggy Smalls posted:

I just used a tofu press and made thin strips. I suck at rolling it too but the good thing is that it sticks to itself so pinched the ends. I really like the mint and cilantro.

Yea, I think I just let the rice paper settle for a couple seconds too long in the water. And great, thanks for the suggestion!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Kalit posted:

Ive made 1000s and am still bad at it. I say just have everything ready and a good clean wet smooth surface.

Wet the rice paper rolls a few seconds and lay them out. 2 or 3 at a time to start. Put a bit of filling in and fold them up. I guess PM me if you want a super detailed walkthrough im on mobile.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Piggy Smalls posted:

What else was in the spring rolls besides the tofu?

I like to make veggie ones with avocado, red onion, spinach, red pepper, cucumber, and carrot.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The_Continental posted:

Ive made 1000s and am still bad at it. I say just have everything ready and a good clean wet smooth surface.

Wet the rice paper rolls a few seconds and lay them out. 2 or 3 at a time to start. Put a bit of filling in and fold them up. I guess PM me if you want a super detailed walkthrough im on mobile.

Great, thanks! Like I said before, I think it's mostly me oversoaking the rice paper, so this is helpful.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Cut a block of tofu into quarter-inch slabs and marinate in a sauce made of two tablespoons water, two tablespoons maple syrup (or brown sugar), two tablespoons of soy sauce and a teaspoon of liquid smoke for at least thirty minutes. Add a little oil to a nonstick pan over medium heat and cook half the slabs for six minutes a side. Toast up a couple slices of bread, cut up a tomato, mash an avocado, and roughly chop up some lettuce, spinach or other leafy green. Optionally, fry up some bacon as it also goes really nicely with this. Once the tofu is done, assemble a sandwich of tofu, tomato, lettuce, and avocado with a little mayo to keep the toast from getting soggy. Serve with chips. This'll make two sandwiches, so you can keep the other half of the tofu marinating overnight to make sandwiches tomorrow or cook the rest of them up to serve four. My wife and I eat these twice a week and they're super good.

If you're tofu has an unpleasant, grassy taste, a tip I learned from Chinese chefs is to bring a pot of salted water to a light boil and dunk the tofu in for a minute or two before adding it to whatever you're making. It'll get rid of the grassy taste as well as firm up the tofu a little.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Star Me Kitten posted:

What else was in the spring rolls besides the tofu?

I like to make veggie ones with avocado, red onion, spinach, red pepper, cucumber, and carrot.

I made mine with chopped carrots cilantro butter lettuce mint green onion and tofu. Dunked it in sweet and hot sauce I bought in a bottle in the asian aisle of the grocery store.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The secret is Deep Fry Tofu

https://www.foodforfoodies.co.uk/products/tofu-king-deep-fried-tofu-230g

It actually tastes of something and has texture, if you order takeout with beancurd and it has a proper bite to it and keeps it's structure, it's probably deep fried tofu hth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

End of Shoelace posted:

How do I enjoy tofu

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

esperterra posted:

I grilled up some tofu slabs the other day after marinating them in just some gochujang, soy sauce and a lil sesame oil and lemme tell you that was a lovely little side dish

gochujang is the shiiit

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Unfinish3d posted:

gochujang is the shiiit

Gochujang is a blessing upon us all

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

I would bet you heaps of cash most of the restaurants that have served you miso are just using paste also, so it might be a placebo thing unless you’ve been overseas.

Only real recommendation I’d make is that it includes dashi (not vegetarian).

You're probably better off buying a tub of just miso, and then separately buying dashi (powder, packets or liquid, depending on how long you need it to keep). They're both separately useful in other dishes anyway.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Ok. Just completely pressed some tofu. What next for a delicious fast thing to do with it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Slice it. Marinade it in soy, teriyaki, for an hour in a bag.
Place it on a rack over a cookie sheet.
Grill under broiler.
Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and chopped scallions.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Piggy Smalls posted:

I made mine with chopped carrots cilantro butter lettuce mint green onion and tofu. Dunked it in sweet and hot sauce I bought in a bottle in the asian aisle of the grocery store.

That sounds really good! Thanks for the recipe idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fish Tofu + Spicy Hot Pot Mix is the only meal a person should ever need.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My first job in professional Japanese restaurants was pan frying tofu. I would fry up 50 pieces of tofu a day and sometimes more. I have it down to a science.

First thing you need to do is cut and salt it. A block of tofu can be cut into 4 even bars. Place on a rack with paper towels to absorb excess liquid and salt each piece thoroughly, maybe 2 pinches per side. The salt has to penetrate the tofu, this is very important since tofu is bland.

Let it rest in the fridge covered in more paper towels or clean kitchen towels for at least an hour, but overnight is preferable. The salt will penetrate and the tofu will be springy to the touch. You can use a press but you don’t have to.

Then get a pan really hot with a thin layer of neutral oil. Coat the tofu in potato starch, pat off the excess, then give it a second coat. Fry until the sides are golden and crispy.

The sauce I use is gochugaru, soy sauce, green onion, ichimi, dashi and sesame oil. Mix until it tastes good and is a nice pourable consistency. Use dashi to thin it if it’s too thick.

Hit the freshly fried tofu with a little salt and serve immediately. It can be reheated in a 500 degree convection oven in a pan with oil, this will make it crispy again. Top with sauce and enjoy.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Verisimilidude posted:

My first job in professional Japanese restaurants was pan frying tofu. I would fry up 50 pieces of tofu a day and sometimes more. I have it down to a science.

First thing you need to do is cut and salt it. A block of tofu can be cut into 4 even bars. Place on a rack with paper towels to absorb excess liquid and salt each piece thoroughly, maybe 2 pinches per side. The salt has to penetrate the tofu, this is very important since tofu is bland.

Let it rest in the fridge covered in more paper towels or clean kitchen towels for at least an hour, but overnight is preferable. The salt will penetrate and the tofu will be springy to the touch. You can use a press but you don’t have to.

Then get a pan really hot with a thin layer of neutral oil. Coat the tofu in potato starch, pat off the excess, then give it a second coat. Fry until the sides are golden and crispy.

The sauce I use is gochugaru, soy sauce, green onion, ichimi, dashi and sesame oil. Mix until it tastes good and is a nice pourable consistency. Use dashi to thin it if it’s too thick.

Hit the freshly fried tofu with a little salt and serve immediately. It can be reheated in a 500 degree convection oven in a pan with oil, this will make it crispy again. Top with sauce and enjoy.

Thanks for this, I'm deffo grabbing some tofu next time I go shopping for groceries :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ive been expanding my japanese repertoire and that sounds great! Will try soon. If only my apartment oven hit 500 degrees lol