Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE92bDAlPXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAg6RTQEfeM

quote:

Raised by Wolves centers around "two androids — Father and Mother — tasked with raising human children on a mysterious new planet after the Earth was destroyed by a great war. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_by_Wolves_(American_TV_series)

A Sci-Fi series from the Alien & Blade Runner team — sign me up!

Malkina_ fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Saw the trailer for this, looks worth a watch. I thought it was a movie instead of a series, though, not sure how much meat there is on this bone.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
RT seems to like it; 82% so far. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/raised_by_wolves_2020/s01

quote:

Bristling with imagination and otherworldly imagery, Raised by Wolves is a bloody exploration of artificial intelligence and religious belief that will stimulate the eye and mind -- if not the heart.

Sounds like a hard R rating, too. :slick:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Sounds and looks great. I'm here for it.

Ragnar is the bad (good?) guy, didn't recogniza anyone else.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
This looks awesome. It seems like a better exploration of some of the themes present in Prometheus/Alien Covenant. However I'm worried the second trailer shows all of the action from Season 1 and the show itself will be slow.

This should be live soon, I'm keen!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Interesting first episode - sort of what I expected from short teaser trailers I saw for it in regards to the beginning and middle parts, but a surprising ending. I admit I haven't watched the videos in OP so those may gave away more than what I knew.

Hopefully the rest of the show will be just as good with not too much filler

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

IT'S SO GOOD

the ending was shocking and so so cool holy crap. this is gonna get way more hosed up

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better
space ragnar

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Just watched the first episode and I was not expecting that! Really good and mysterious and I like all the Bladerunnerish call backs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Went into this completely blind (other than hearing that Ridley Scott being involved) and it was pretty drat good. The terminator thing is a bit overused at this point but I like the premise and the execution is on point so far.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

this fuckin rules. The last 20 minutes went in a very different direction than I though.

I guess one of the benefits of ten thousand streaming services is that they will all go to prominent people and ask them for nutty ideas, and then we get super-atheist androids battling for the galaxy, I guess?

Although I will say, that first episode really felt like it coulda been a movie, and I’m a little apprehensive that the kernel is really just that idea, and all that comes afterwards isn’t as well fleshed out.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 4, 2020

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Some discussion of the setting (ep1-3):

So from what I gathered there are basically two human factions:

Religious nuts who use Androids as their servants and weapons.
"Atheists" who oppose them and fight them with (amongst other things) child soldiers. Question is why, is it just out of desperation or are these kids special? Can they do something adults can't?

We also don't know the reason for the conflict or any other motivation of those two factions so far.

We are also told that the two androids (including the necromancer one) we follow were apparently reprogrammed by "Atheists" with the goal to raise atheist children.

It's certainly an interesting spin on AI/Androids that the religious faction is the one that uses artifical intelligence/life for their own purposes.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The androids don’t have condensation breath when it’s cold out. It’s a nice touch.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the pilot is full on bonkers 1970s sci fi with mad rubber robots and moebius zealots and it fuckin rules

i have a horrible feeling the allegory is going to get out of hand however

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

LinkesAuge posted:

Some discussion of the setting (ep1-3):

So from what I gathered there are basically two human factions:

Religious nuts who use Androids as their servants and weapons.
"Atheists" who oppose them and fight them with (amongst other things) child soldiers. Question is why, is it just out of desperation or are these kids special? Can they do something adults can't?

We also don't know the reason for the conflict or any other motivation of those two factions so far.

We are also told that the two androids (including the necromancer one) we follow were apparently reprogrammed by "Atheists" with the goal to raise atheist children.

It's certainly an interesting spin on AI/Androids that the religious faction is the one that uses artifical intelligence/life for their own purposes.

yeah its really interesting twist

my theory is that the religion actually started as mega-corporation that invented the androids, apparently they have no issues with atheist's reprogramming service androids but military ones should be impossible.
atheist's dont have resources so they dont have androids either for fighting.
But we dont know if the second faction actually is atheists because i think at first episode they passingly mention that atheists were minor faction.
So it could be that second faction is just some anti-android religious nut-jobs. And that atheists are actually 3rd minor faction that nobody has noticed.

also why is it the android called necromancer? Is it going to start mimicking the dead at some point? Because that could be some xenomorph class horror

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 4, 2020

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Dark Off posted:

my theory is that the religion actually started as mega-corporation that invented the androids, apparently they have no issues with atheist's reprogramming service androids but military ones should be impossible.
But we dont know if the second faction actually is atheists because i think at first episode they passingly mention that atheists were minor faction.
So it could be that second faction is just some anti-android religious nut-jobs. And that atheists are actually 3rd minor faction that nobody has noticed.

also why is it the android called necromancer? Is it going to start mimicking the dead at some point? Because that could be some xenomorph class horror

I mean she did mimic the dead children when speaking with Campion during episode 1 so it's definitely a tool in her arsenal.

Also just gonna echo holy poo poo that was a great start. I only made it through episode 1 but this is gonna be loving awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if this is supposed to be some kind of alternate history too seeing as they're using a real, old religion.

Although you have to wonder how a sun based religion changes in a different star system.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ridley Scott is obsessed with milk powered robots.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ridley Scott is obsessed with milk powered robots.

It's a good idea for film tbh.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Stealth Aliens prequel/sequel

Also, found out about this today. Enjoyed the first episodes a lot

Also
the necromancer is exactly like I imagine a religious group would make a android super-weapon. Flying with open arms, looking at it kills (?) humans and it's voice completely obliterate peoples. Kinda like some angel/god/divine being

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 5, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I'm gonna give it one more episode. So far it feels kinda like a SciFi Channel original, but with better production values. I'm getting the feeling there's not enough meat in this story to necessitate a series, but we'll see.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bleeding white just like the Weyland/Hyperdyne androids.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

1st episode was great.

3rd episode is absolutely loving terrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fimmel & Pals appear to be adherents to a form of Sci-Fi Zoroastrianism. Which explains the Sun on their tunics and why they refer to the Sun as “Sol”. Mithras would hold banquets dedicated to Sol.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The show is stimulating all the sci fi parts of my brain with this mix of classic sci fi bits. Like those weird helmets and bronze magic robots mixed with the weird nitty gritty flashbacks and the knight armour those guys wear.

The necromancers are terrifying

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ratios and Tendency posted:

1st episode was great.

3rd episode is absolutely loving terrible.

I guess I concur. Might be the difference between Ridley and Luke Scott. But let's see where this goes.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

dad bot tells dad jokes.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This show feels like scifi Old Testament and youre watching the weird stories that eventually become Biblical parable for this new civilization.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Watched 1-3. I'll probably keep watchin. Kids are kind of annoying, but thats to be expected.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Really digging this show after 2 episodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dark Off posted:

I wonder if it's like Lord of Light by Zelazny where the 'necromancer' is just a Christian. Centuries of distance between the religion being relavent and the setting leaves people without another title for someone that harps about life after death and the resurrection. .

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know about this whole thing and trying to read into the allegory, perhaps I'll be proven wrong but it felt to me like this whole thing was actually devoid of subtext and irony, the theists are bad and the atheists are good, everything is at face value, the mom bot appeared as brutal and irrational but so far she's been vindicated in that everything she did was proven right, even the opening monologue spells it clearly, heck the space theists are even space pedophiles like the whole 'religious organizations are actually bad and hypocritical' thing wasn't already obvious enough.

So, yeah, it's possible there's an element of subversion and the themes will have more depth, but to me it felt like 'what you see is what you get', heck even Ragnar's character isn't a proper theist, he has to be a secret atheist so that the audience will know he's a sympathetic guy just trying to make ends meet.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I liked how they pronounced the "atheist" differently, and without explanation. It's the future, so certain words are pronounced differently.

So the "atheists" seem like insurgents with fewer resources and numbers. The "atheist" soldiers look like typical apocalyptic rebels. But they don't fit in with the mother bot's rhetoric about people a technocratic society blah blah

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know about this whole thing and trying to read into the allegory, perhaps I'll be proven wrong but it felt to me like this whole thing was actually devoid of subtext and irony, the theists are bad and the atheists are good, everything is at face value, the mom bot appeared as brutal and irrational but so far she's been vindicated in that everything she did was proven right, even the opening monologue spells it clearly, heck the space theists are even space pedophiles like the whole 'religious organizations are actually bad and hypocritical' thing wasn't already obvious enough.

So, yeah, it's possible there's an element of subversion and the themes will have more depth, but to me it felt like 'what you see is what you get', heck even Ragnar's character isn't a proper theist, he has to be a secret atheist so that the audience will know he's a sympathetic guy just trying to make ends meet.

The mom bot seems pretty fanatical to me in that she tried to tell the kids "no praying, no god!" The religious ones are more powerful with more resources. Rich and powerful equals evil.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2020

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The atheists were sending out child soldiers and were portrayed as gross Mad Max psycho dudes.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

very kingdom of heaven after a while. Because its ridley scott doing crusaders again, I guess.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

post-apocalyptic gondor was an odd styling choice for the atheists, but I can dig it.

not only does robot dad tell dad jokes, but part of his machine learning is based around creating the perfect dad joke for his children. that's such a neat touch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Episode 2 allows me to rack up another tally on the "Watch my home get hosed by some apocalypse in fiction" chart. I respect the optimism of it not being under-water a century and a half in the future though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I've only seen 2 episodes and this isn't my interpretation at all. Not to say you're totally wrong but I think both sides are going to be 2 different sides of "bad," not a binary good vs evil. Somehow I'm guessing the atheists are going to have done just as bad if not worse poo poo in their equally fervent way.

Random question but are any of you women/mothers and/or watching with your SO that is...? My wife, with whom I have twins about Campion's age, is typically not huge into harder sci-fi like this but was open to checking it out after I suggested it, as she had liked Alien: Covenant enough.

She has been REALLY into it and we probably talk about the characters motivations and the roles they play (ex: Mother being made as the protector etc), differing philosophies of Sol vs Atheists, story themes, ethics of having children and how you raise them especially given the circumstances etc, than we have about another show for awhile.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but my girlfriend just straight up hates it. She made it through the second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well just tell her she sucks and is wrong.