Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This show is some Gene Wolfe poo poo, it feels like everything is supposed to be allegorical but I have no idea of what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
the founding of rome and roman mythology is my wild guess

thematically, it's basically a sequel to battlestar galactica

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 20, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the image above the altar for the baptism ceremony is a replica of universal actual Roman Cult of Mithras iconography, the man in a phrygian cap sacrificing a bull (while a scorpion stings the bull in the ball bag but it's too small in the show to see).

Dunno if that's important or just aesthetics. As I recall but won’t look up, Mithraism was at its peak in the late Western period as was worship of sun deities like Zeus-Amun and Sol Invictus. Constantine himself was a pretty big Sol Invictus guy until he converted, and even then it's possible he was worshipping some syncretized Christ-sun god collab. Again, dunno if that's important!

E: I lied and looked it up, sol worship was the official religion of the empire starting in the 3rd century, so I guess everyone was a big Sol Invictus guy. Maybe this is an alternate universe where Christianity ended up being secondary to Roman religions which persisted even until now, or maybe it's just aesthetics or a very loose historical scaffolding like the War of the Roses was for asoiaf

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 20, 2020

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I swear to god Sol if this ends like BSG did I am done with sci-fi shows with religious imagery

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So how many Eps left?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So how many Eps left?

Just 1. Finale is next week.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

The future-tattoos for the child soldiers, they definitely were uhh influenced by Yonah Krank's stuff.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this show literally feels like it was written by someone with schizophrenia. not a compliment, its completely incomprehensible

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
like the show is a schizotypal personality’s attempt to make his delusions into reality. the only way anything makes sense is if this is some bizarre attempt at reverse engineering a manchurian candidate style trigger

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you sure?
IMDB says 3 more for total of 10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9170108/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1
Wikipedia has 8 eps in a table with brief precis but gives two further episode titles with the note "The remaining episodes of the first season include" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_by_Wolves_(American_TV_series)#Episodes
WGAW site confirms Aaron Guzikowski down for writing 6 eps in first season, only 4 of which are in Wikipedia's table of 8 (see here )
:iiam:

Loving this so far. Pulp sci-fi (imagine Virgil Finlay drawing this!) with mythological stylings (Classical and Old Testament at least) and the trouble with relationships with creator/parent figures (real or otherwise). Gene Wolfe parallel was a good call.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this is absolutely one of the worst tv shows i have ever seen

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

scary ghost dog posted:

I've built up immunity to bad shows by watching all of the first season of Motherland: Fort Salem

This show is just kinda boring at times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EmptyVessel posted:

Are you sure?
IMDB says 3 more for total of 10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9170108/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1
Wikipedia has 8 eps in a table with brief precis but gives two further episode titles with the note "The remaining episodes of the first season include" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_by_Wolves_(American_TV_series)#Episodes
WGAW site confirms Aaron Guzikowski down for writing 6 eps in first season, only 4 of which are in Wikipedia's table of 8 (see here )
:iiam:

Loving this so far. Pulp sci-fi (imagine Virgil Finlay drawing this!) with mythological stylings (Classical and Old Testament at least) and the trouble with relationships with creator/parent figures (real or otherwise). Gene Wolfe parallel was a good call.

Oh okay I hope you are right and it's 10 episodes. I was just looking at wikipedia. :negative:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So how many eps do we get next week?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hexel posted:

I'm down with space Ragnar 100% whatever he's doing. I could watch his facial expressions and crazy eyes on loop for 8 hours.

I cut my hair like him. It's much, much worse. Idk the world is ending.

Google Butt posted:

mother is horny now and she can't be stopped

Perhaps lust is a greater motivator than love? :magemage:

priznat posted:

I just wanna say again how much I enjoy the intro + music, it's goddamn great. I'm usually one to hammer "skip intro" on netflix or the +30sec on the remote but this one, nope dig it every time.

It's so god damned good!

priznat posted:

Yeah! And the lyrics change a bit on some episodes.

:eyepop:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Anyone ever read the book Nemesis by Asimov? This show is insanely incomprehensible, but it's giving me the same vibes as that book. For those unaware, the book is about (spoilers for the book ahead) a colony of humans living in a space habitat above a somewhat inhabitable planet which unfortunately seems to cause an illness in some sub-set of people causing them to go insane and die. Therefore, only a tiny research outpost exists on the world, which tightly filters out any contaminants from the planet outside, where scientists study the assorted soil-borne microorganisms on the planet. One of the main characters is an ugly girl who has the ability to read the intents and thoughts of people through some kind of super empathy when she looks at their faces. She exists in a constant state of loneliness because she can't help but see that other people think she's ugly, or are scared of her. She eventually goes down to the planet and it turns out that the soil-borne bacteria are actually a gigantic planet-spanning colonial intelligence, which is also very lonely and has been trying to reach out to humans but was driving them insane. It turns out it can talk with her though and they ultimately discover companionship together without judgment.

So yeah, I think that the planet is alive and that all those holes are part of a vast underground network that Mother and Father hilariously left unexplored. At first it could only work with what fell down the holes, but when the ark slammed into the ground they mention that it "cracked" the surface. That's when the creatures first started appearing and when people started seeing Tally or hearing voices. I think either the ark crashing into the world "woke it up", or it provided something that allowed it to start loving with androids and humans alike.

EDIT: I mean, when I first saw those holes I thought they were loving breathing, but then I shook that first impression off until later episodes where plot points keep centering around the holes and how air keeps moving in and out of them.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 21, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It could also be some form of Ego, The Living Planet.

Minus the Kurt Russell.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This is really just Civilization Beyond Earth and only 2 factions landed, poorly.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
maybe the holes are fartholes

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
could well be, those snake bones are pretty big, snakes gotta fart somewhere

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

someone putting their spaceship in my butthole would anger me so i would gently caress with their minds too

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Too bad the atheist lander couldn’t land under power like every other lander we see.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Anyone ever read the book Nemesis by Asimov? This show is insanely incomprehensible, but it's giving me the same vibes as that book. For those unaware, the book is about (spoilers for the book ahead) a colony of humans living in a space habitat above a somewhat inhabitable planet which unfortunately seems to cause an illness in some sub-set of people causing them to go insane and die. Therefore, only a tiny research outpost exists on the world, which tightly filters out any contaminants from the planet outside, where scientists study the assorted soil-borne microorganisms on the planet. One of the main characters is an ugly girl who has the ability to read the intents and thoughts of people through some kind of super empathy when she looks at their faces. She exists in a constant state of loneliness because she can't help but see that other people think she's ugly, or are scared of her. She eventually goes down to the planet and it turns out that the soil-borne bacteria are actually a gigantic planet-spanning colonial intelligence, which is also very lonely and has been trying to reach out to humans but was driving them insane. It turns out it can talk with her though and they ultimately discover companionship together without judgment.

So yeah, I think that the planet is alive and that all those holes are part of a vast underground network that Mother and Father hilariously left unexplored. At first it could only work with what fell down the holes, but when the ark slammed into the ground they mention that it "cracked" the surface. That's when the creatures first started appearing and when people started seeing Tally or hearing voices. I think either the ark crashing into the world "woke it up", or it provided something that allowed it to start loving with androids and humans alike.

EDIT: I mean, when I first saw those holes I thought they were loving breathing, but then I shook that first impression off until later episodes where plot points keep centering around the holes and how air keeps moving in and out of them.

Another novel that comes to mind is The Jesus Incident by Herbert. It has

- a weird, sentient wasteland planet with a hostile flora and fauna
- mysterious freakishly deformed humans wandering around outside settlements
- people from alt-history earths, included one where the western roman empire survived into the space age
- a god AI that controls space and time and communicates with the colonists in ~mysterious ways~

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My money is on time travel or God. The prophecies (and other features of the religion, like the symbolism and how it matches the planet) are way too accurate for anything except 2 possibilities:

1) Someone with knowledge of the planet and what was going to happen somehow got that information back in time so that it became part of the Mithraic religion. Maybe they started the whole religion, wrote the scriptures, etc.

2) God (or, Sol or whatever)

Option 3 is "it's a simulation" but I feel like that would be a pretty stupid copout.

Also at one point in one of the earlier episodes someone made an offhand reference to a part of the prophecies which said that in the new land you'll meet monsters who are revealed in the light to be human or something. So those creatures are humans I guess, or the left-field option is that everyone learns a lesson about how Mother was truly in the end just as human as the rest of us (not in the literal sense, but in the "androids have feelings too" sense).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The more I think about it, the more I think time travel and time loops are going to be involved, and that also explains the multiple mythology callouts. I also think that’s the reason why space travel and travel physics are basically not mentioned by anyone.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Christianity didn't exist in the original timeline so Mithraism stayed dominant in the Roman empire. Now Campion has to travel through time and die on some piece of wood for the sins of humanity so that history doesn't repeat itself and Mithraism gets overtaken by a more humanist and altruistic religion/philosophy.

You know that Scott toyed around with he idea of making Jesus an Engineer in Prometheus, so this poo poo is definitely not beneath him.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GABA ghoul posted:

You know that Scott toyed around with he idea of making Jesus an Engineer in Prometheus, so this poo poo is definitely not beneath him.
Ridley Scott didn't write anything in the series, did he? He directed some episodes but that's it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This show is loving brilliant and sets things up then answers some stuff in the next episode. We learn so much and I have total faith in the writers to come to a nice conclusion in the end.

scary ghost dog posted:

Then gently caress off.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm wondering if those creatures will be shown to be intelligent or sympathetic in some way. Otherwise, I'm not sure if there was a point to spending an entire episode dealing with morality of eating them to survive.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The AI, if it was awakened in the distant past, could have seeded Earth with its mythology, setting up a process that would ultimately draw human colonists back to it. No time travel necessary.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

drat really

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The AI, if it was awakened in the distant past, could have seeded Earth with its mythology, setting up a process that would ultimately draw human colonists back to it. No time travel necessary.
But how would it know about the orphan child, whoever that is? Is it just taking a wild guess that they'll bring an orphan along, and that the orphan will do whatever the prophecies say, etc?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

OH WORD SON posted:

drat really

yes and no

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Like I get the lovely kids actors but I haven't enjoyed watching a kid act since i saw jurassic park for the first time when I was 8

Everything else is weird as gently caress and unlike most other poo poo on tv

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

But how would it know about the orphan child, whoever that is? Is it just taking a wild guess that they'll bring an orphan along, and that the orphan will do whatever the prophecies say, etc?

Given that "orphan child" applies to nearly every named character in the cast, young and old, it probably wouldn't be very hard to manufacture. I imagine it could just bump a kid's parents off pretty easily, given everything else it can manage.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OH WORD SON posted:

drat really

its not quite westworld bad but its up there

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Open Source Idiom posted:

You really think the writers would fly so close to Prometheus?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

its not quite westworld bad but its up there

Please post why the show is incomprehensible. I find that opinion incomprehensible(from the standpoint of comprehension)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Please post why the show is incomprehensible. I find that opinion incomprehensible(from the standpoint of comprehension)

i didnt say it was incomprehensible. i said it was awful
edit: i guess i did say it was incomprehensible yesterday. i was mostly referring to the scene where mother is having sex with the mysterious simulation atheist and then wakes up and uses telekinesis to lift boulders and throw them at people

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 22, 2020