Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Short behind-the-scenes about costuming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEwQO5CxUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i hope mother murks all these dorks tho

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Paul's a low key poo poo, yeah? I thought he had potential earlier, when he and Campion were becoming friends, but he's manipulative and seems to lack empathy. Campion's dead siblings don't deserve grave markers. Get hosed loser.

Tempest continues to be the best of the Mithraic kids, though I like Vita a lot too. Campion I'm fairly sympathetic to a well, he's genuinely just trying to do the right thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Campion I'm fairly sympathetic to a well, he's genuinely just trying to do the right thing.

The actor is awful, though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ersatz posted:

The children experienced time in stasis, but their brains didn't develop physiologically during that time.

This makes no sense because it’s 100% clear and evident that they did all mentally develop and mature. The main female character went from “oh god we have a son I can’t do this” to “we have a son that I’ll die for” and the kid went from “why the gently caress are you two talking to me” to “mommy daddy I love you.” If they can develop their feelings then they can develop the knowledge and mental capabilities.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's pretty funny that Mother let a bunch of small kids burn to death, but saved a "kid" who is realistically an adult. It makes sense structurally because the show needed somebody who could conceivably stand up to her, but it makes no sense thematically for the character.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It's pretty funny that Mother let a bunch of small kids burn to death, but saved a "kid" who is realistically an adult. It makes sense structurally because the show needed somebody who could conceivably stand up to her, but it makes no sense thematically for the character.

I'm listening to the show podcast and one major point they are talking about is the question of how we gonna teach intelligent machines morality and that if we do it through a black box machine learning approach, it will be "off" in very weird and unpredictable ways in certain situations. I think Mother is programed to only care about her own children and she doesn't appear to assign any value to mithraic human life (just like they don't assign any value to atheist lifes). So she sets out to kill everyone on the ark to protect Champion and the colony, but then she adopts 5 of the children as her own, so they are no longer allowed to die. The other children don't hold any special value to her and she has no problem with killing them. They are just random enemies. It's like tribalism, but even more extreme because Mother has full control of who she feels empathy for, unlike a human.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Biggest problem for me is still that for being raised in a hell world by two arguably schizophrenic androids who emphasized that we all become mulch upon dying and there is no life after death, with all his siblings dying horrible deaths, Campion sure is a little Pollyanna.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The actor is awful, though.

He's fine. He's stiff because he was raised by robots (which you can see in the way he talks too, he never contracts his words).

He's also clearly, clearly Australian, which is probably what's throwing a lot of people off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm listening to the show podcast and one major point they are talking about is the question of how we gonna teach intelligent machines morality and that if we do it through a black box machine learning approach, it will be "off" in very weird and unpredictable ways in certain situations. I think Mother is programed to only care about her own children and she doesn't appear to assign any value to mithraic human life (just like they don't assign any value to atheist lifes). So she sets out to kill everyone on the ark to protect Champion and the colony, but then she adopts 5 of the children as her own, so they are no longer allowed to die. The other children don't hold any special value to her and she has no problem with killing them. They are just random enemies. It's like tribalism, but even more extreme because Mother has full control of who she feels empathy for, unlike a human.

I get that, it's just that in a room full of children in need of raising and protection, she adopted a bunch of teenagers and an adult.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I get that, it's just that in a room full of children in need of raising and protection, she adopted a bunch of teenagers and an adult.

I suspect they may have been the most similar to the dead five kids.

Certainly Tally and Vita are basically identical, and the other girl who's not called Tempest has an identical haircut to Spiria.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm having a hard time really rooting for anyone who's a main character. I don't like Mother because we all know why, Campion is little poo poo (idk bad child acting and nothing interesting), and the new Emissary guy is now just deranged like Mother.

I really enjoyed Father. Great actor and who doesn't enjoy watching an android try to craft awful dad jokes. Unfortunately he's not really a focal point for the show

Edit: maybe I'm kinda annoyed or bored that all the main characters are being nudged and driven by a mysterious voice who is going to be revealed at the end and I'm having Lost flashbacks lol. It kinda robs some agency and I guess I check out because of that

Zmej fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 18, 2020

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zmej posted:

I'm having a hard time really rooting for anyone who's a main character. I don't like Mother because we all know why, Campion is little poo poo (idk bad child acting and nothing interesting), and the new Emissary guy is now just deranged like Mother.

I really enjoyed Father. Great actor and who doesn't enjoy watching an android try to craft awful dad jokes. Unfortunately he's not really a focal point for the show

Edit: maybe I'm kinda annoyed or bored that all the main characters are being nudged and driven by a mysterious voice who is going to be revealed at the end and I'm having Lost flashbacks lol. It kinda robs some agency and I guess I check out because of that
Father is great. Could really go for a bottle episode of Father running around doing whatever it is that he does.

Agree that the other characters aren't really sympathetic, although Ragnar and Mother are both really interesting to watch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love this show and don’t get the complaints about the kids. Have you been around kids? They are pretty goddamn annoying most of the time, especially boys of campion’s age.

Source: I have a boy campion’s age. I’m just thankful campion isn’t rambling along about fortnite or whatever his friends are into.

Him being a pissy bitch about getting logic puzzle owned was so on brand for boys who think they are smart was great. That was totally me, along with 95%+ of guys.

The effects for mother getting awakened with the dirt rising and all that was cool as hell.

But really thinking about it, what kind of horrifying existence would it be if Marcus, Sue and Paul flew off in the lander to the tropics. Just the 3 of them, with eventually Paul being alone after they kick off. Yikes.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

priznat posted:

I love this show and don’t get the complaints about the kids. Have you been around kids? They are pretty goddamn annoying most of the time, especially boys of campion’s age.

Source: I have a boy campion’s age. I’m just thankful campion isn’t rambling along about fortnite or whatever his friends are into.

Him being a pissy bitch about getting logic puzzle owned was so on brand for boys who think they are smart was great. That was totally me, along with 95%+ of guys.

The effects for mother getting awakened with the dirt rising and all that was cool as hell.

But really thinking about it, what kind of horrifying existence would it be if Marcus, Sue and Paul flew off in the lander to the tropics. Just the 3 of them, with eventually Paul being alone after they kick off. Yikes.
I was thinking exactly the same thing re: the idea of the three of them going it alone in the tropics. As a father myself I had a giant WTF reaction to the notion of setting one's son up to die unloved and alone.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zmej posted:

I'm having a hard time really rooting for anyone who's a main character

I'm down with space Ragnar 100% whatever he's doing. I could watch his facial expressions and crazy eyes on loop for 8 hours.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

mother is horny now and she can't be stopped

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Google Butt posted:

mother is horny now and she can't be stopped

I relate to her the most of anyone in the show

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Also did the rapist dude die or just dissapear

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Also did the rapist dude die or just dissapear

I had the same question. The mirror thing he was holding blew up and he and his android jailer were thrown back. Then we never saw them again.

I'll just assume he's dead and no one ever mentioned it.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also did the rapist helmet guy die? I don't think we saw him again after that scene.

I'm pretty sure he needed to survive that scene so they could key up a confrontation between him and Tempest, probably leading to some cathartic moment where she does something to the android so that it triggers the helmet and squashes the guy's head

or they could take the Tedious Drama route where the cult is reluctant to execute him because he's the father of her child or something

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I mean, dude is wearing Checkov's squishing helmet, somebody gonna get squished.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Yeah, the kids are rocking the human experience of having tween/teen hormones and partially formed brains in an alien setting.

No creature in the world is full of as much chaos driven chutzpah as a 12-year old boy.

LentThem posted:

or they could take the Tedious Drama route where the cult is reluctant to execute him because he's the father of her child or something

Given his status and how the kids gain the status/caste of their father, she is going to have to deal with being the mother of an esteemed higher caste rape-baby.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Paul's "Whatever Campion you're annoying, later" was great.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

banned from Starbucks posted:

Paul's "Whatever Campion you're annoying, later" was great.

Paul being able to dunk on Campion is one of the show's highlights.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

last two eps were pretty hard to follow

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I still have no idea what the show is about

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

last two eps were pretty hard to follow

I mean they were pretty dumb. Like what happened to the thing in the desert, why is there a ghost girl, where is that dude who lived in the skeleton, why is there an ominous head voice just lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

all I can say is they're lucky I'm out of poo poo to watch, otherwise I wouldn't even bother stealing this show

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's something I'm not sure I might have just missed or was just not explained (yet): Did they ever go into detail why it's dangerous to look into Mother's eyes when she's weaponized? It's been brought up several times now, but as far as I can remember she only ever injured/killed people when actively using her voice/breath?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's not looking into the eyes which is dangerous. For some weird reason she needs her exes to use her banshee powers. But she knows that's dangerous and intimidating, so she decides to keep them away from the kids. It's a stupid plot point, but it's basically wielding a strong firearm with the finger on the trigger all the time and putting that thing away when at home.

Honestly, the plot is kinda simple to follow. There are just a bunch of unexplained mysteries.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Think of it this way, you mom just came back from committing some horrible gruesome murders. Would she tell you to close your eyes and not look while she is doing something distressing?

Mother is a hacked hunter-killer to be a the "idea" of a mother by one man. Shes programed to raise children and thus probably will only see them as children regardless of the situation or their maturity. She wants to spare them the site of something that would upset them.
Father was designed from the ground up to be a service model, and probably had a parenting subroutine anyway. Thats why hes much more agreeable to them killing the creatures as a step toward maturity. He even accepts his eventual death and obsolesce when its clear there are other people on the planet at first.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Y'all nerds are too picky. I like it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

OH WORD SON posted:

Y'all nerds are too picky. I like it.

I'll remember you said this

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I also like it!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

it's not bad yet but it's definitely on that track

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

counterpoint: what the hell else have you got to watch right now that’s this interesting?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't think I'm going to end up loving this show, but it's been a great reminder of how safe and similar most tv and movie sci-fi is (by contrast).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

scary ghost dog posted:

its about a thousand times better than this show

Nah

Completely different ideas and execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I think that the soldiers also cover their eyes and don’t look at mother in battle mode