Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Only seen episode 1, loved it. I really don't think the atheism side is being presented as obviously good; Mother is sorta "proven right" in a sense but she's also indoctrinating Campion with blatant hypocrisy. She tells him to never let his mind find comfort in fantasy but her following her own insane fantasies is what leads to her rediscovering her power. Also she literally shapes her face and voice into lies in order to comfort her son.

I'm not saying these things are wrong, but it seems clear that the teachings contained in her programming are terrible, and whether she ultimately is good or evil seems fairly separate from which side she came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

I missed the part where they mentioned the snake was super tough or hard to kill. When Mother showed the snake to Father and they both acted like it was a huge problem I just went "but just tear its little head off?"
I mean sure I guess they could have done that, but the planet core was like right over there!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

angerbeet posted:

They can do that whole "the Island was friends we met along the way" bs all they want, it was purgatory.
No the island was just a weird magic island.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The show may be hamfisted but I don't think it's attacking the actual beliefs on either side. IMO it's more about war objectifying people no matter what side they're on, and political groups on either side using the same methods and stuff like that.

Like, I think it is being absurd and aggressive in its insulting portrayals of both the Atheists and the Mithraists, but I don't think it's attacking "atheism" generally, or faith for that matter.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally caught up on the last two, still loving this poo poo.

I hope somehow Father ends up as some kind of replacement for the Trust that everyone actually likes because he just wants to joke around and help everyone have a good time. I dunno it's a reach, it's just, Campion (I think it was him) mentioned how easily Father's mind could be taken out and put in another body, and I loved Father's weird little moment processing that fact and what it could be hinting towards.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

The Trust was a big ol’ doofus for not having any sort of backup or redundancy plan in the event of a potential revolt/uprising.

All it took was one power node in the floor being shut down and that’s all she wrote.

Excuse me, those might have been 3 separate power nodes. They just shouldn't have been right next to each other.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

The writers of this show probably lock themselves in a blacklight room full of beanbags and Hendrix albums for two weeks, do Hunter S. Thompson-levels of drugs, and then emerge from the room with the most batshit scripts ever put to paper.
Specifically the song 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"It was..... delayed self-defense" was absolutely the line of the episode for me. Every now and then I forget this show is a comedy and then they smack me in the face with a moment like that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I mean, she wasn't wrong. They would have absolutely murdererd her on sight. Once a charismatic cult leader declares their explicit intent to murder you, in a post-apocalyptic hellscape killing him and his cult follwers including someone who has already attempted to murder you, can be self defense.
I don't disagree her actions were justified, but that would still just make it regular self-defense! Or, especially early self-defense. "Delayed self-defense" is the robot coming up with a lovely excuse on the spot and it's hilarious, and just a great moment.

Oh btw, apparently this is already the second round of that Twitter contest. They're gonna be doing a couple more drawings for "first prizes" i.e. the Vrille figure, and then drawings for the grand prize, a Raised by Wolves branded Oculus Quest 2, from 3/17 to 3/20. Normally I don't follow stuff like this but between this show being insanely cool, and the Twitter engagement seeming small enough, it seems worth entering some of these. I would proudly display the murderbot figure at home.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 11, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just T-Posed in, and boy are my eyes tired

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I hope Father tries telling some jokes to Grandmother

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe Marcus didn't turn upside down.... everything else did :aaa:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I will miss Sue a lot, I really liked her. Cool gal. Alas, those who play with the devil's toys...
Sadly, her bark was worse than her bite

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zachack posted:

The Entity is an alien lifeform that crashed on Kepler, shown in the intro sequence. The twist is that humans aren't from Kepler either, but a third planet. A third planet called Caprica LV-426 Henriksen.
and that Alien Life Form wants nothing more than to consume felines

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

(because the day-for-night colour grading is dogshit)
Did they not accurately portray night on Kepler-22b?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No Pants posted:

The only thing I started noticing after someone brought it up is that light sources are too dim even though they try to touch those up.
So in real life the light sources look brighter at night on Kepler-22b?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

It looks like poo poo no matter how hard they justify it in lore.

Just have fewer night scenes
Nah it doesn't look like poo poo, it looks weird and unsettling. Like night on this alien planet would feel very...........alien

What is lovely about it?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also I think they have been so traumatized by the global war that they have kind of lost any sense of how to live a normal life, and have extreme PTSD and stuff

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

or she might just be confused.
That would be some pretty serious confusion...... great find.

Tbh with how much the official twitter account has been continuing to tweet about it post-finale I've been pretty convinced the confirmation is coming, but who knows. People like the suspense I guess

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If anything I thought the pace sped up a bunch, I'd be worried people would be too overwhelmed by the amount of weird poo poo in s2

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well he's a secret something...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought the merpeople looked awesome, what was wrong with the CGI

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh that part might be true... that kind of interaction is always gonna be tough on a budget

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Everyone saying they're definitely not bringing it back isn't allowed to watch it once it does come back

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

So what's the reasoning for the cancellation?

Cost of production too much and too few actual viewers to warrant a Season 3?
According to reports (by me), the executives who made the decision are "a bunch of stupid assholes"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No actually Sol was talking to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

yea something is making them psychotic
something named Sol