Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This show is so bad and stupid, yet so weird and awesome. I keep it watching it for the next utter absurdity or genuinely well composed shot of android body horror. I loved Mother surrounded by all the dismembered corpses feeding her milk.

It did take me a while to free myself from the constraints of TACTICAL REALISM and stop worrying about the viable breeding population. For maybe the first five episodes, I couldn't get over the characters' total lack of concern about the survival of the human species. Mother's supposed to preserve the human race, she and Father completely gently caress it up by feeding their kids radioactive tubers, she's down to one kid, a spaceship shows up with advanced technology and DNA and all kinds of stuff she could use and she crashes it? this makes perfect sense once you realize Mother is not exactly a beep boop optimum tactics kind of android

The Mithraists are running around in a steadily dwindling group, killing each other and getting killed, apparently just ignoring the fact that there's already no way they can have or raise enough children and they're all going to die here and humanity will end forever. Nobody acknowledges this, they just make plans like "let's go to the tropics" as if that isn't just a new venue to die. It's like watching Battlestar Galactica but nobody's concerned about the population count, instead they're arguing about whether to become vegetarians. Everyone on this show is loving nuts. Crazy poo poo happens and then it's off to the next scene.

But right about the time Mother had hot virus sex and gallons of milk cum shot out of the ceiling I guess everything clicked as a weird allegory and now I'm excited to see what's up with the eraserhead alien and the ghosts and the big holes.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Also I hope Ridley gets to do his last David movie before he dies.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I didn't watch Lost but this started as a great combination of hard SF and exploration of parenthood. The first 4-5 episodes. Then it started getting mystical - Am I delusional? Or is it real? Or a computer simulation? And what if my greatest enemy is... Myself!?

From two tight and coherent groups they went to everybody just running around (Marcus and warriors; Sue and some kids; Mother; Tempest; Campion; Father and Hunter; Priests). My partner and I were extremely excited about it, for different reasons, but now we've given up. The last episode was painful to watch.

See I thought it started as a terrible combination of bad SF and survival travelogue but then it started getting weird and the weirdness forgave many sins. The endless 'hangin out in the village of boredom' sequences were the worst.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I'd still rather see a proper Prometheus sequel than this but I'll take both.

:yeah:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

DrPop posted:

Lol, and furthermore, lmao

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Everyone on this show is a complete smooth brain but the androids are the worst "We need to kill this alien snake baby" "Let's throw it down a hole" "No it can fly" "Then the only possible remaining option, literally the only conceivable tactic, is to put it inside an aircraft and fly it into the hole and ram into the core of the planet"

Just exquisite. I don't mean that as an insult, it's incredible screenwriting. An absolute commitment to transcending the banal nerd constraints of 'logic'.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I've contributed my articulate and necessary thoughts, wasting no one's time at all.

quote:

I just watched the Raised by Wolves season finale and what? What? What is...what?

Love your imagery and commitment to the absolutely horrific and surreal and strange, I really hope you get to do a third David movie.

But to circle back to Raised by Wolves: what the gently caress?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Gonz posted:

It’s not a snake.

It’s a lamprey.

A space lamprey.

Him a big boy.

It's actually Satan and they have landed in the tropical zone which is Eden.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone mentioned a comic book that explained some things. If you google for it it says the 1st issue is free.

https://readcomicsonline.ru/comic/hbo-maxraised-by-wolves-2020/1/1

You can read it there instead of downloading some comic book app. Or if that link does work just search “raised by wolves #1”.

No

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes i realize my mistake so could you edit that link out.

No I wasn't yelling at you about files I just want nothing explained especially not by a comic book

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think everyone trying to figure this show out or come up with elaborate theories is really missing the point.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

He is a true goon

DogsInSpace! posted:

Just finished rewatching Prometheus and it's the same thing. You have some cool visuals and ideas but there is no real solid structure so it just comes across a bit sloppy and nonsensical. "Why did punk rock geologist and internet biologist get scared at alienz and then get lost? Why does internet biologist decide a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug? Why did acid spray turn punk rock geologist into a super zombie? How does Idris Elba know they are storing WMDs at the base aside from Idris Elba is kinda awesome? Why does Charlize Theron just run straight ahead despite looking back and realizing she could just run to the side a bit and avoid danger?" There's far more nonsense but Raised by Wolves is a bit of the same. Pretty but dumb nonsense that we will forget about in a few years. A dumber Westworld I guess. Reminds me of this movie Oblivion. I want to like it and looks a bit cool but starts falling apart if you look at it too long. Wish they'd take all this prestige tv money and make good sci fi but what are you gonna do?

I say they just embrace the cheese and insanity. I want Lord Space Snake giving long villain monologues while doing a dance. Spagnar dancing with (other lesser) space snakes and doing southern revivals. Father with a giant mecha body complete with gatling guns. Throw in some insect bad guys and Don Wahlberg.

It's rare and precious to capture a fully grown specimen in the wild

Hope you find your answers about why "a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This show is not good, but it is great.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

What does ‘derivative’ mean though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Like this show is a huge mess, but I can’t say it’s derivative of very much.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Has any attempt to get rid of something ever escalated more quickly than “we’ll throw it down a hole” to “we’ll get in the only spaceship with it and crash into the core of the planet”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, swinging in to find out if finishing this show up would be worth my time. I think I stopped around the fourth episode. Right when the kids had run away and Mom and Dad split up to find them. Did the show ever get going?

It's terrible, but insane. I mean it's absolutely crammed with :wtf: Mother needs blood so she plugs herself into a rapist wearing a Dark Souls NPC helmet but the rapist somehow reverses the flow and sucks out mother's milk which gives him super strength and a passing spaceship scans him and says "That's weird that guy has unusually high power levels" but then someone steals the android head from his backpack and throws it off a cliff so his head implodes!!!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That's like one scene!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Hm ok, am I imagining this now or do i actually feel reminded of district 9s aesthetics a bit?

You're imagining this now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jesus Christ I mean Sol please stop saying snek

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They should have simply inserted a tube into the snake, allowing it to form a closed loop with Mother.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

No, ogorza is correct. Objects traveling at light speed don’t experience the passage of time, so a traveler moving at C to Kepler 22b would arrive instantly in their own reference frame.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Basically due to special relativity. The speed of light in a vacuum is the speed of causality, the universal speed limit. As you approach lightspeed, your clock slows down when compared to a stationary observer. This is called time dilation. You also appear to grow shorter and more massive.

When you hit lightspeed, your clock stops ticking. Unfortunately, you also have infinite mass, which is impossible. So only stuff with no rest mass (for example, light) is allowed to travel at lightspeed—and in fact massless stuff can't travel at any other speed.

e: Weirdly enough you can prove all this with high school algebra, it's not until general relativity that the math becomes ungodly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, GPS on your phone actually wouldn't work if it didn't correct for relativistic effects on the (relatively) fast-moving satellites. Everything would get out of sync.

Thinking about this, a stationary observer should perceive a sufficiently fast-moving object as massive enough to collapse into a black hole. This is very weird, because from that object's OWN point of view, it's the stationary observer who's moving at relativistic speeds, and the observer should seem massive enough to collapse into a black hole...and neither one of them can actually BE a black hole because, in their own reference frame, they clearly aren't.

I have no idea how to get my head around this.

I sort of doubt that Raised by Wolvesiverse much concerns itself with relativity though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Actually that's a pretty good explanation for why they decided to fly it into the core of the planet.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zachack posted:

I would think "fly it into the sun" would be a better answer but the show was generally not too good about the use of outer space as a thing to be considered.

Fun fact, from Earth it is actually harder to impact the sun than to break solar escape velocity and leave (slowly) for another star.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Remember when they caught the parkour alien in this show and it was a neanderthal :allears:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Lol I forgot how Campion built up an immunity to radiation. Nice work kid!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Chalks posted:

We should all approach this show with the same unquestioning acceptance that Father showed when Mother said "we can't throw the snake in the hole, it can fly"

This line is so loving ridiculous, and the leap of logic from "we can't throw it in a hole so we must escalate to Planetary Core Suicide" so absurd, that I think it must be the single greatest moment of the show.

...that said, if you accept that what Mother's really saying is "the snake has all of my defensive abilities," it actually does make sense. That or Sol's really starting to get to me :tinfoil:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wesa give yousa una bongo. Da speedest way toobe rid of snake is goen through...de planet core.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Whenever I try to talk about this show I end up babbling about how Mother needs blood so she takes the rapist's blood but then while Mother is off cybering with an AI pretending to be her creator who is going to impregnate her with a flying snake the rapist reverses the blood flow and becomes super powered so they have to get the android head off him and pitch it off a cliff so his pyramid head helmet will kill him

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mother can't weaponise without her weapon eyes :o

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The island was never purgatory!!! :goonsay:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

When the robots kept happily carrying on with their mission to repopulate humanity on a new world when they had a total of one (1) surviving human boy I should've known this show was next level. The discovery that they'd been feeding their kids radioactive potatoes was just the incredible goon zipline tier "can't figure out why these kids keep dying!!' payoff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm glad there are more settlers on the planet. I found it almost intolerably stressful to watch random mooks die when our cast represented all the surviving humans in the whole universe (as far as we could tell). You really can't afford to lose reproductively viable organisms when your population is so low. Every time Mother vaporized some poor schmuck I wanted to scream "stop, you need his cum"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In the television show RAISED BY WOLVES, who is raised by wolves?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Father got so close to being able to call his son “champ” but he’s stuck with “camp”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe Champion and uhh that other kid will be Romulus and Remus!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

:wtf: but in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Campion has developed a resistance to the consequences of stupid actions by taking them all the time.

e: champion