Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It bothers me that all the night shots are clearly day-for-night shots just handled in post

I suspect this is because the show has a lot of children in the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

I still don't understand why mother keeps taking her god eyes out all the time it's an unnecessary vulnerability. For what?

Because she's concerned that, as a malfunctioning robot, she will accidentally eye scream one of the children to death.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah cool design bro. Now we know how to take them out. Just shoot for the eyes. Also wear ear pro. I'm holding out for the necro in the into with the big anime laser beam.

'necro BEAM!!!!!'

She's been shot in the face and the chest multiple times to no effect.

And the eye attack isn't just sound based, it's vision based.

You're watching this show while you're on you're phone, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by the desert set they used and wish the new Dune movie would have made even a little attempt at looking more otherworldly like this show did.

They're shooting on location. If it were a set they'd not be doing as much day-for-night filming.

South Africa, wooo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

its because day-for-night shots are iconic of low budget trashy scifi television

They have underaged actors. Nightshoots were never going to happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's an AI or something that's messing with Mother, Ragnar, rapist man and Father, yeah?

It's the voice on the ship that told rapist man to be a poo poo, it's the voice that infected Ragnar through the earwig device and is communicating with him. It got into Mother via the augmented reality device and Father via the new processor, and it's what's causing them to see Tally everywhere yeah?

That's my theory anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Yeah I was wondering why OG Campion sent out 12 embryos when that isn't anywhere near enough to rebuild the human race. Mother would go batshit after the first disease wiped out ant colony that took root.

There were more, but they could only remove twelve from the craft before it fell beyond their reach.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Were they not supposed to have more embryos, but the kids destroyed them by accident? Did I misinterpret that scene?

They had a bunch in the shuttle craft.

They could only save twelve embryos from the craft before it fell out of reach.

Then raised the first six as gen one.

Two of the other kids from gen one killed the remaining six embryos, and Campion took the blame. (That's the scene you're talking about).

Then those kids also died. Whoops.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Paul's a low key poo poo, yeah? I thought he had potential earlier, when he and Campion were becoming friends, but he's manipulative and seems to lack empathy. Campion's dead siblings don't deserve grave markers. Get hosed loser.

Tempest continues to be the best of the Mithraic kids, though I like Vita a lot too. Campion I'm fairly sympathetic to a well, he's genuinely just trying to do the right thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The actor is awful, though.

He's fine. He's stiff because he was raised by robots (which you can see in the way he talks too, he never contracts his words).

He's also clearly, clearly Australian, which is probably what's throwing a lot of people off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I get that, it's just that in a room full of children in need of raising and protection, she adopted a bunch of teenagers and an adult.

I suspect they may have been the most similar to the dead five kids.

Certainly Tally and Vita are basically identical, and the other girl who's not called Tempest has an identical haircut to Spiria.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

If I had to guess, it's some sort of subliminal conditioning tied to the stasis pods. Being connected to them does something to your brain that causes you to hear these voices speaking in phrases that deal with their particular religion and it's vague prophecies. Probably programmed by the high clerics or whomever is in charge to reinforce their faith. And Mother and Father seeing things and hearing things could mean that their original Mithraic programming is somehow working it's way back to the surface. But Mother is experiencing it quicker than Father was because she kept interacting with the pod. Reminds me of the Demolition Man cryoprison conditioning where Simon Phoenix became a master hacker while he was in stasis and John Spartan knew how to knit things.

Of course, that's just me throwing darts blindly at a board. I'm probably terribly wrong and it's something impossibly scifi.

Yeah, this was my theory from a few weeks ago, but I'm beginning to think it can't track any more. Campion is also seeing Tally, and his mind has never been in contact with any Mithraic technology.

I do wonder if we're seeing TWO AI, instead of just the one. One from the Arc of Heaven, and one from the planet (and the giant rock). The former is in all the Mithraic technology, while the latter is connected to all the vents. Heaven and Hell, God and the Devil. Makes sense to me.

(I assume we're due to see the return of the robot that fell down the vent too, given that everything else that's fallen down there has turned up again).

EDIT: It's the shuttle! The AI only started being able to gently caress with the colonists after the shuttle fell down the hole and was assimilated by its technology. That, and the burst of energy from the exploding engines provided it with the ability to start manipulating people.

And that's where the creatures come from too! They're based on the other 30 embryos that were in the back of the craft.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 20, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wolfs posted:

What robot fell down a vent?

One of the twin enforcers used by the Mithraics, sent out by their former leader when Mother attacked the base. Mother quickly incapacitated her, and then plucked out one of her eyes. Then the robot came to and deliberately threw herself down one of the shafts.

Woden posted:

He also said Sol is no longer talking to him, if it's not the same thing that's talking to Marcus then idk wtf.

During Marcus's first vision (where he stabs his wife to death), he hallucinates himself as turning into the rapist man. I think the connection there is very clear.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The AI, if it was awakened in the distant past, could have seeded Earth with its mythology, setting up a process that would ultimately draw human colonists back to it. No time travel necessary.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

But how would it know about the orphan child, whoever that is? Is it just taking a wild guess that they'll bring an orphan along, and that the orphan will do whatever the prophecies say, etc?

Given that "orphan child" applies to nearly every named character in the cast, young and old, it probably wouldn't be very hard to manufacture. I imagine it could just bump a kid's parents off pretty easily, given everything else it can manage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do think this show is attracting a lot of people yelling plot hole because it's so utterly uninterested in explaining a lot of its mechanics.

Which is fair enough because a lot of the explanations are boring.

But my favourite one I keep seeing is "Why didn't Mother / Father do [x] in all the years they spent looking after six children on an alien planet previously uninhabited by human life".

I think they were probably a bit busy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sheriff Falc posted:

And the theme song is supa hot fyre. I will die on that cross.

It's the same team who did the Fortitude and Dark credits, I believe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

It was very convenient the atheist lander fell into a hole and needed parachute to stop but the mithraic landers could all soft under under power.

The atheist lander probably a lot more luggage and a space microwave.

They've implied that the Mithraics were well off, and Campion Sr was hiding out in an evacuated Mithraic base, scavenging for parts. He was never going to have access to the best tech.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What the gently caress.

That medical check up sequence.

Also "fuel blood". You can't fool me show. I know it's milk.

Edit: Her name is Mary-Sue.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 24, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That said, I think it's pretty clear what's happening at this point.

There's some sort of entity which is trapped in that pentagon, and it's attempting to escape by creating a new body for itself. After several -- uhh -- abortive attempts (Tempest, most notably) it's finally succeeded in developing a host body for itself, gestating in Mother's body. It is the voice and the visions that people have seen on the planet, though it also exists in the Mithraic arc because the entire Mithraic religion is based around its continued existence and eventual freedom.

The only rub here are the Campions. Mother was not meant to be an atheist (Campion Sr.), and Campion Jr. was never meant to have survive. I think the implication is that he's also part human, part robot, like the new creature would be, which is how he survived the radiation. He melded with mother's tear when he was born, in the same way the rapist melded with a great deal more of Mother's fluid. It's why the creature is so terrified of him.

The backstory for the planet, etc. isn't obvious yet, but it presumably has something to do with it too. But the actual conflict is very clear at this point.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 25, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LibCrusher posted:

Edit: then... somehow... the guy sucked up all HER goo... which made him... super powerful.... of course.,,,

I thought that was the goo, not the guy. Flexing it's muscles / reacting to Campion, whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrPop posted:

The mystery of the show is that the writing is cliche and poor and the handwavium is just there to distract from it

Dude I was just thinking this. The bit where the bucket head man was hooked up to the robot who was sucking his blood like a walking IV Drip was so loving cringe. Of course he'd suck up the blood and become super strong and have to be killed by a 14 year old throwing a robot head off a cliff. They did the exact same thing in Legends Of Tomorrow season two and that isn't even one of the good seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

This last episode actually made me feel happy, which is weird because the show's tone is so grim and serious. They've settled on who the "good" characters are now and I like that they're being kind to each other. Other shows just ride the morally-gray "both sides" crap all the way through and you end up rooting for no one.

Yeah. Mother's "is this a dream?" moment was actually heartbreaking.

Anyone reckon we're gonna get a timejump at some point? It seems inevitable that adult Campion and adult Paul are destined to come into conflict.

Assuming the second season is going to be doing some sort of Exodus / pilgrimage plot to the tropical zone, I'm guessing we'll get a brief one between seasons, skipping to the end of Tempest's pregnancy, and then another one after they get to the promised land/magnetic hotspot/tropical zone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think anything in that episode really changed my theory. The intelligence manipulating human life is just the planet core -- Sol, the ball of fire -- and not the pentagonal rock. That's the only difference.

Holly(?) the older girl who's a bit of a follower, identifies the symbol for Sol as being on one of the cards we saw last episode. It's the sun + light rays / egg + sperm image, that looks a lot like the planet core with all the holes leading to it.

DrPop posted:

The show really suffers because of this, though. I said this earlier in the thread but the Mithraic religion as shown in the show seems pretty milquetoast and inoffensive. They could build it up with some kind of religious syncretic background but haven't really done that; the only indicator of such is the medical droid in episode two singing Good King Wenceslas as he works on Mary and Caleb. And that's probably just an oversight/meaningless like MarySue saying "Jesus Christ."

So far the biggest knock against the Mithraics seems to be that they made Necromancers.

The Mithraics lock up children unless they convert (both on Kepler and, according to Paul, on Earth). They murder nonbelievers using weapons of mass destruction, which are programmed to murder even nonbeliever babies. They execute their own for breaches in their faith. They have inflexible caste systems decided by birth. Children deemed for military service are kept away from their families and the real Marcus is clearly an abusive dickhead who encouraged Paul to abuse animals. Mithraics are implied to be anti-abortion. They've committed genocide in the name of Mithraism, not even sparing people who used Tarot cards.

They're hardline fanatics who consider all that don't believe in Mithraism to be atheists, and that's a belief that contributed to the widespread destruction of humanity on Earth. That's not milquetoast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

teagone posted:

Was Mother howling like a wolf ever explained? Lol. Or was that just included as a way to justify the series namesake?

You know it's a saying right?

And my god, the number of emotional outbursts my mother had when my brother died, and she didn't have the excuse of being an android unable to parse human emotions. Sometimes, when your kid dies, you yell a lot. Sometimes it's weird yelling.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

werdnam posted:

By the way, why is Campion Jr magically immune to potato radiation?

He's got mother's eyeball fluid in him, just like Marcus and Buckethead Rapist.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LibCrusher posted:

Why does the head crushing helmet allow the rapist to see? Like why not just leave them blind?

Please tell me this isn't an unsolved mystery.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ex post facho posted:

I guess they theoretically could have flown the lander to the exosphere and ejected it but where's the space snek storyline in that

space

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

What if this show is in the Lego universe? And the Duplo ship is just one of the factions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rinkles posted:

LAMPREYSED BY WOLVES

:five:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really like Campion.

His parents spend years strictly teaching him to act in a certain way, and when they suddenly turn into hypocrites he feels angry, confused and betrayed by their actions.

He's naive, at worst. Which, yeah, hello. Child.

Blame the parents.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Actually, the only things that really annoy me as far as "plot holes" are stuff I haven't seen much of in the thread, like why it took 5 kids dying and another 5 getting sick and the androids never realized it was radiation poisoning,

They didn't have access to the technology required to check the food properly. It passed their rudimentary checks, but without access to their lander they were stuck with the knowledge they had. It was only once they had access to a Mithraic shuttle that they were able to work out what exactly was going wrong. Until then, mother secretly blamed herself for her children's deaths.

Phenotype posted:

or why no one seems to know android milk gives humans super powers (and if they did, why wasn't it used in the war? Why did Lucius stick the eyes in Marcus's mouth instead of just killing him, or y'know, nothing at all? Why did it even occur to him to do that, really??)

This is a complete piece of insanity, both in and out of universe.

I assume that the android blood is intended to be toxic to humans, but Mother's milk is capable of interfacing with human biology in ways that are unexpected.

It's still an overly elaborate death for no good reason other than to set up drama later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

redreader posted:

And she often had one of each in for some reason.

When she was wearing mismatching eyes, she was wearing the atheist droid eyes. One from the robot in the first episode, one from the twin who jumped in the hole.

The other, matching pair she has, are her necromancer eyes. Which Marcus took and then had forcibly injested.

When she has them, she doesn't like wearing them around the kids because she's malfunctioning and is worried she could accidentally kill her charges. That's obviously not a problem right now though.

I assume the mismatching eyes are a fashion statement, though they could also be a way of letting people know when she's weaponised and when she's not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zachack posted:

I would think "fly it into the sun" would be a better answer but the show was generally not too good about the use of outer space as a thing to be considered.

They were in the middle of refueling the lander when Mother started giving birth, interrupting them. I think that was the writer's suggesting they didn't have the fuel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
With Cally being Judas, and the apple is the crashed ship flight controls from the first episode, whose symbolic consumption by Campion leads to the arrival of the Mithraics, and doubt, and the loss of innocence.

It even looks like an apple.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mrmcd posted:

George Lucas Syndrome: One hit trilogy and then a career spent lost up your own rear end.

Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, The Maritan, Black Hawk Down, Thelma And Louise?

Say what you will about his other films, but he's got more than one good film idea in him.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 29, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It was a super hungry predator with a taste for blood (and milk), equipped with the same defensive abilities that mother has. How'd you propose they kill it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I missed the part where they mentioned the snake was super tough or hard to kill. When Mother showed the snake to Father and they both acted like it was a huge problem I just went "but just tear its little head off?"

They don't say it explicitly on the show. I think they were relying on audiences being able to infer that information from the snake's skin (identical to Mother's tactical defence skin) and its flight powers, but that clearly wasn't well communicated to a lot of the audience.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The name Nerva has to be a Doctor Who reference, right? To the Ark In Space, the episode which might have inspired Ridley Scott's Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I always thought the implication was that the AI was co-opting the serial rapist, and not that he got lucky.