Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know about this whole thing and trying to read into the allegory, perhaps I'll be proven wrong but it felt to me like this whole thing was actually devoid of subtext and irony, the theists are bad and the atheists are good, everything is at face value, the mom bot appeared as brutal and irrational but so far she's been vindicated in that everything she did was proven right, even the opening monologue spells it clearly, heck the space theists are even space pedophiles like the whole 'religious organizations are actually bad and hypocritical' thing wasn't already obvious enough.

So, yeah, it's possible there's an element of subversion and the themes will have more depth, but to me it felt like 'what you see is what you get', heck even Ragnar's character isn't a proper theist, he has to be a secret atheist so that the audience will know he's a sympathetic guy just trying to make ends meet.

The fact that we finally have a show that shits on religion is subversion enough in itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
it's gonna end when David from Prometheus/Covenant finds the planet and releases his horde of xenomorphs to gobble everyone up

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The giant lizards will come back and the show will be about them through season 2-7

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Maybe the screamy robots were too dangerous so they got left behind. But whoops, now there's a screamy robot and you're hosed

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

veni veni veni posted:

Idg the sci-fi original comparisons. I think for the most part the show looks great. And I'm the type of person who can't even watch those shows because they look so cheap.

Only one guy said this and he probably is a troll

This show looks amazing

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

DrPop posted:

^^ all the more reason why they shouldn't be included or at least shouldn't be portrayed as brain vacuums

This show is going to be somewhat good and entertaining in spite of itself.

The Big Conflict of the future being between 00s New Atheism and a super boring and cosmopolitan Generic Religion (that doesn't really even seem that disagreeable) is simply not believable in 2020.

Using dumbass kids as Plot Advancers is also lame as hell. And why do they have such nice haircuts?

On the other hand, the androids are super cool and their actors are good.

Welcome to the world of Ridley Scott, where Androids are always and always will be the best thing about whatever he makes

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
No, it's jesus

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hope we get into as much weird fuckery as possible

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
maybe the holes are fartholes

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Piell posted:

I think about The Room a lot,

:chloe:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

mrmcd posted:

George Lucas Syndrome: One hit trilogy and then a career spent lost up your own rear end.

except George Lucas stuff is embarrasing to watch while Ridley Scott still makes interesting stuff

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The snake is an alien with alien powers, we dont gotta explain poo poo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I missed the part where they mentioned the snake was super tough or hard to kill. When Mother showed the snake to Father and they both acted like it was a huge problem I just went "but just tear its little head off?"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Bad people with wrong opinions and boring brains and lacklustre, milkless souls will dislike this show

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My body is ready. Let the milk wash over it, let the milk seep into my pores, thoroughly and deeply. Let me become the milk

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Biggest mystery to me is who were the ppl already on the planet who ostensibly set out those prescient metal, I dunno, cards depicting future events?

snake-folks

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
We, the audience, were the Romuluses and Remuses all along

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You can still have atheists who believe in greater concepts. Isn't the definition of atheism just that you don't believe in religious deities?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

wooger posted:

Doesn’t help that the new series is not even out in the UK yet. Sure way to harm ratings and hype and word of mouth in a global market is to make sure noone outside the US can even watch it legally.

Same thing happened with Counterpart. Spectacularly great show on a channel that no one has heard of, no one can watch without subscribing especially, and released 6 months+ late outside the US.

More of the premium cable channels need to sell their good shows to the main broadcast TV networks outside the US so that people actually see them and then might consider paying in future over Netflix/ Amazon. Literally no one has seen any show on Starz or HBO Max I’ve asked about in the UK.

It's out in Sweden

Maybe the UK just... sucks

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
don't worry about it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Marcus has grown on me a lot and I hope he keeps being the guy that random stuff just relentlessly happens to

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Let it wash over me

I am becoming one with the milk

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Campion is more tolerable now as a clueless hippy weirdo teen who just tries to get along with everyone (including Giant Snake)

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The mermaid CGI was pretty bad

This show veers so wildly between awesome sets and effects and just outright embarrassingly bad stuff

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It looked fake as gently caress when she was handing over the baby to the CGI merman

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm a big fan of the Emotional Deprivation Veil also apparently being a full body condom restriction device

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Sol was resurrected into the body of Marcus

but all he wanted to do was hang upside down and chill

and so everyone lived happily ever after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The last season didnt feel pretentious to me… but it did feel rushed an dumb. It made up for it somewhat with perplexing plot turns every 5min so you never got bored though