Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I really like how this whole show is about Ridley Scott's trademark that he puts into every movie: Mother. (See "Let me tell you about my mother" in Blade Runner, the name of the computer in Alien, etc. etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

My problem with the cliffhanger at the end of Ep.3 was that nothing of value was in jeopardy.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

gently caress that stupid mirror and poo poo, I don't want there to be any defenses against mother.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

ded posted:

Headcrusher helmet will be the only defense vs mother.

She'd probably grow a new head somehow.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

GloriousDemon posted:

Campion isn't the chosen boy, he's going to be the religions false prophet Satan allegory. Paul is the orphaned child messiah. Campion probably put those kids up to playing with the "snowballs".

Campion, Paul and the IQ of 205 kid all need to step on landmines followed by nobody turning their heads or ever mentioning them again. Make it a plot point about how the universe is uncaring or something.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Not a big fan of "Planet of the Apes" Statue of Liberty reveals. It's been played, and it would be a cop-out.

Similar to "It was all one character's dream".

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I really like how the murderbot is so good as a kindergarten teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tksN5Jaan9E

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

DrThief posted:

First 2 episodes delivered. Some observations:

- The atheists blindly following essentially their own god is some delicious irony. Well played.

I really hate the ham-fisted platitudes about "Look at how the atheists also believe in things without questioning them! They're not so different! Isn't that amazing? We thought so! Hope the audience will get it!".

I'm hate-watching the religious themes, but interested in the weirdness of the planet and its creatures. Plus mother showing some assholes what's what.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Vitruvian Manic posted:

not advertiser-friendly.

It's paywalled in the US anyway, so it's not that much of a problem. Don't know about the rest of the world.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yes, the plan is to recreate the war. In episode 1 (or maybe 2) of this second season one of the Mithraics said they would've won the new war on this planet if something hadn't happened (I think if Mother hadn't killed everyone). The atheists are obviously happy with continuing their war on the Mithraics - they're strapping bombs to them and using them as bait.

Isn’t imported drama probatable? Where are the mods of this planet?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Fantastic show.

I have to say though that I don't find some of the bad characters as compelling as the good guys (mammy and pappy are just stellar). I wouldn't think the show would lose much if Ragnar/Marcus stepped on a landmine. Similarly, I think I was supposed to care for Paul, but was actually hoping for him to be gone (which of course wasn't realistic).

Would have liked to learn more about Tora Tora, but I guess they'll drag that out until some kind of showdown in the season finale.

Vrille's scenes were just the best.

Still not too much into the religious themes. Sue "doing her own research" and "the power of prayer" - eh. (Yes I know that these things might end up making sense in the show's universe.)

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

The ocean water's acid component is ivermechydrocloxotinbleach, which is only acidic to things submerged in it. Otherwise the water is 100% safe to touch, drink etc.

They're also safely walking on the beach without it doing anything to the soles of their shoes, q.e.d.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

wooger posted:

Huh, Ragnar is like half the show and his blessed/cursed ascent to power is incredible.

I find him completely flat and uninteresting on any level, just an abusive dad type. Just a manipulative rear end to religious zealots, which I also find uninteresting. That's why I laughed out loud when Vrille killed a lot of them.

(I don't dislike villains because they're villains, every second of screen time with Darth Vader, the T-1000, Jang Han-seok and many others is fantastic.)

Fortunately, the show has so many other redeeming qualities in its characters and plot that I can see past him.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 27, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Well, she wanted to get rid of the baby. No take backsies! You asked for it, you got it.

She kinda got the best of all worlds, since the baby is alive, but she doesn't have to care for it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The ending better just be a bunch of people clapping. Pacific Rim 2 is probably the best live action version of End of Evangelion that we are going to get and this is the best live action version of the series. Right down to weird double-crosses between ill-defined groups and children.

Not seeing too many parallels, but with a lot of good will you could maybe see Mother as red-haired Asuka telling Father/Shinji "Anta baka" all day long and him being unable to pilot Eva (Grandmother).

Also not trying to hurt any feelings, but Thrice Upon A Time is 10x the film End of Evangelion is.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I would have sung the Imperial March as a lullaby for Paul.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Is there a reason why everyone save Mammy and Pappy has the shittiest haircuts in the world? (Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I missed it.)

I think that Paul has a little bit of a stereotypical Hitlerjugend/Neonazi haircut and Campion one of the stereotypical artist/hippie family, but many others just look like some fashion victims or DIY 80s knockoff cuts.

So they kinda fit Paul and Campion, but most others are just random rear end-looking.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Have they actually confirmed the existence of modern English on ancient Kepler this episode? Grandma is fluent in it and Sue sings an English lullaby that opens the seed box.

There's nothing in the show implying this is actually English, English is just the language that it's presented in for our viewing convenience. The only thing that's implied about the language in-universe is that it's not Mithraic.

Just like in a billion other movies, foreigners either speak English to each other all the time or after the movies goes through a few scenes with subtitles under the actual language in order to make it clear to the audience that they're really supposed to speak the foreign language.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Couldn’t we somehow merge this with the ongoing Zybourne Clock 🕰 projects?

Grandmother is sent back in time, message to the original Campion etc.?

Or a CYOA thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Sorry, I'm not seeing the world of sci-fi as a zero-sum game between Star Wars, which is of course obviously the worst thing ever, and Raised by Wolves, which is beyond reproach.

I don't need toxic purity tests.

I really enjoyed Raised by Wolves from start to finish, but I didn't jump up every five seconds and yelled "YEAH! Take THAT, Star Wars!".