Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SEKCobra posted:

I want a phone on my dash so I can use GPS on my bike, I don't have an in-helmet entertainment system to tell me about turns and also like the ability to see an approximation of a curve beforehand.
I am using my second phone for the bike dash functionality and am using crash detection on longer tours anyway.

Of course I could buy an expensive GPS with inferior features and worse mounting options, but somehow I don't feel like it.

I just wear earbuds.

I have a RAM mount on my FZ, but I don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I would say USA is one of the worse options for buying Nolan helmets at reasonable prices. Its almost cheaper to buy them from an EU shop and ship them.
Do you have a local shop to try them on?

The nolan 87 and the agv k1 are pretty far apart feature wise. AGV is almost never going to be the value choice.
If you are race focused then bell makes just about the only SNELL helmets in that price range and they usually come with a 2nd tinted visor which you will never get for free from AGV.
If you just want all the features then Scorpion makes some very good options like
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-t510-helmet

If you just want to look cool and have Rossi race graphics then AGV is fine. Its perfectly safe. Just know that you could have gotten a better fitting, more comfortable, quieter, better venting helmet at the same price.
My brother with the same size and shaped head as me had a K1 and I wore it for a few rides. It was ok.

I suppose i meant in terms of availability to purchase, not necessarily price.

Do you mean that Nolan will have many more features than the K1? I'll check out those two you mentioned, thanks!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Russian Bear posted:

Feature wise for a new rider, what do yall think about the Nolan n87 vs AGV K1? Some years ago when I took my MSF course, I wore a Nolan helmet (84 maybe?) and it fit REALLY well. That could have changed now of course. Outside of fit, which is the most important, is the slight premium on the N87 worth it?

in that price range you might also look at the Bell SRT. I like their 3 layer eps design in other helmets (I have a Moto-9 Flex).
really you need to figure out (by going to your local cyclegear or something) what head shape you are and then shop around that. It's really hard to tell from 30 seconds of wearing a helmet whether or not its gonna pinch your crown and give you a headache after an hour of riding so trying them on in person is a Best Effort endeavor

when i was looking for my first dirt bike helmet i just bought any old brand (Fly Racing V1) and it was so heavily narrow and angled I had to just about break the lower jaw portion to be able to wear it longer than 30 minutes and even then it would give me headaches on the way to the mountains until it broke in heavily. so try not to do that because it sucks to be out on a ride and realize your head hurts

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah you really just gotta try them on. Wear it for at least 20m while you browse the store. A well fitting helmet has no pressure points and doesnt need to "break in" to fit comfortably
There are a lot of helmets that retail for around 350 that can be found on sale for 200-250.

That nolan is quieter and better vented with a drop down sun visor. I dont actually know for a fact that its quieter but except for the touring helmets AGV is generally loud as gently caress. The k1 has a nice liner and looks similar to the $1000 helmet from 100ft. I have owned several AGV helmets but almost every purchase has been informed by its appearance mostly

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 28, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My head shape is definitely oval and I can give you measurements, but I don't know how relevant those are in motorcycle helmets. I'm always a medium in bicycle helmets (56 to 59 is the usual range). I'll pop into my local cycle gear to see what they have.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just want to say that Rukka trousers and jackets are amazing.

I was in a lowside 2 days ago, not a single scratch or bruise on me.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

My head shape is definitely oval and I can give you measurements, but I don't know how relevant those are in motorcycle helmets. I'm always a medium in bicycle helmets (56 to 59 is the usual range). I'll pop into my local cycle gear to see what they have.

Sizing will vary not only between manufacturers but between models from the same manufacturer. No matter what Revzilla/F9/anyone else says about a helmet's internal shape, you will have to try on numerous helmets to find one that fits right. Just use their reviews as a starting point and go from there.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Sizing will vary not only between manufacturers but between models from the same manufacturer. No matter what Revzilla/F9/anyone else says about a helmet's internal shape, you will have to try on numerous helmets to find one that fits right. Just use their reviews as a starting point and go from there.
Can absolutely confirm this. I loved my open face LS2 helmet so much, I bought the convertible version in the same size, without trying it on first. Not only did it not fit, when I exchanged it for a larger size, turns out it was pressuring my skull in two spots so bad, I had to soften the foam with the hair dryer before wearing it for real. It was a clearance item, couldn't return. Do not modify to protective structure inside of your helmet, please. Supposedly same size and shape, but reality says otherwise.

My current Schubert not only a great helmet in fit and function, but their customer service turned out to be mind-blowingly amazing. Apparently there was a defect in the original pinlock design, so they just shipped me a new visor and screen. Hotdamn.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I want to buy this but then I'm admitting I'm not going to have both my bikes in the garage at the same time anytime in the near future

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

when i was looking for my first dirt bike helmet i just bought any old brand (Fly Racing V1) and it was so heavily narrow and angled I had to just about break the lower jaw portion to be able to wear it longer than 30 minutes and even then it would give me headaches on the way to the mountains until it broke in heavily. so try not to do that because it sucks to be out on a ride and realize your head hurts

I'm very suspicious of Fly helmets after my buddy lightly bonked a tree with one, snapped his chin bar and concussed the poo poo out if himself, actually that goes for most of the manufacturers that only make dirt gear, besides like 6D and TLD.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

I want to buy this but then I'm admitting I'm not going to have both my bikes in the garage at the same time anytime in the near future

Like Harbor Freight, if you wait about a month, they’ll either go on special or a coupon will appear for it. They pack down about half the size of a standard bed pillow and weigh a bit more than that, but mine has survived a lot of snow and terrible rain and wind and is only kind of grimy, no rips or runs in it. I have a garage now, but it was such a good cover when I used it that I can’t justify hocking it in case I ever need it again.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What is recommended for waterproof, warm(ish) gear? I can get a full set (boots, pants, jacket, gloves) from Alpinestars for roughly 1,200USD. I wouldn't really be in anything much colder than 40˚F. Are there better brands or value to consider? This is for road riding, if that makes a difference.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rev'it makes good WP stuff too, Forma for boots, mix and match until you find something that suites you at the right cost.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elviscat posted:

Rev'it makes good WP stuff too, Forma for boots, mix and match until you find something that suites you at the right cost.

revit is awesome and their larger sizes actually fit non-lanky proportioned humans with plenty of adjustment straps to cinch in loose areas. Their gloves are one of the only brands with wide enough palms and a ring finger without a cm of loose space like Astar. Im really happy with every piece of revit gear i have.
Tornado 2 jacket and pants, Cayenne jacket and 3 pairs of gloves with various lengths and breath-ability.

Their adventure gear feels like Klim-lite. A lot of the venting and protection but less insane prices

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

What is recommended for waterproof, warm(ish) gear? I can get a full set (boots, pants, jacket, gloves) from Alpinestars for roughly 1,200USD. I wouldn't really be in anything much colder than 40˚F. Are there better brands or value to consider? This is for road riding, if that makes a difference.

I'm big on GoreTex 2- or 3-layer shells. GoreTex guarantees garments with it are waterproof for life as long as the GoreTex layer isn't damaged. I don't worry about insulation built into the riding gear, just armor and waterproofing. I handle warmth with layers or a heated jacket liner and gloves if it's really loving cold. Try and avoid zip-out waterproof liners - the rest of the garment will get soaked in the rain, making it really heavy, and the liner itself never breathes for poo poo. You end up cold and clammy. Being cold and wet on a long ride is straight up dangerous.

FWIW, Rukka is based in Finland and their cold weather riding gear is for-loving-real, but it is also stupid expensive. Rev'It, Rukka, A*s, Klim, Dianese all sell touring and adventure gear with GoreTex shells, but it is spendy. Everyone but Rukka and Klim also offer a house brand waterproof barrier that doesn't work as well as GoreTex either from a waterproofing or breathability standpoint, but is way cheaper. I will pay more for GoreTex because I know it works, but unless you get a good deal on clearance you'll be looking at $1K+ for a jacket and pants.

My current winter gear is the A*s Guayana jacket and pants (caught on closeout), a couple of different pairs of GoreTex gloves depending on how cold it is (Held gloves with no insulation, another Held set with thin insulation, a Dainese set that's basically snow gloves with armor), and some Sidi Canyon GoreTex boots that I've had for 12+ years. Previously I had a Firstgear TPG jacket and pants that were only "waterproof" - they had a DWR coating that would keep you dry in a quick sprinkle but couldn't deal with actual rain.

Keep an eye on the ADVRider Flea Market, you can frequently catch high end gear there in really good shape for cheap.

Another option: Mosko Moto makes a really nice waterproof pant/jacket combo that uses eVent, which breathes better than GoreTex, but you will have to put separate armor and insulation underneath it - they are just shells. You're still looking at $1k+, too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The reason GoreTex is so good is that W.L. Gore is insanely protective of their trademark and product and so clothing manufacturers who want to use the GoreTex name not only have to buy the fabric but also meet W.L. Gores standards for the finished product including seams, connectors etc. Another fabric could be just as good as GoreTex but if the seams, zippers or sewing are inferior they could let in water.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Toe Rag posted:

I've found that BMW sells good adverse weather gear under their own brand name. Not sure who the actual OEM manufacturer of their gear is but seems to work fine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Another option: Mosko Moto makes a really nice waterproof pant/jacket combo that uses eVent, which breathes better than GoreTex, but you will have to put separate armor and insulation underneath it - they are just shells. You're still looking at $1k+, too.

yeah I run mosko’s stuff since I commute by motorcycle 5 days a week and it is excellent stuff. their deluge jacket is fantastic and is every bit as good as my old hand me down canadian-made arcteryx shell I got several years ago. their price on that whole set up rules too cause layering is the best system imho, but you do end up paying for it. it’s nice to be able to buy it piece by piece though!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I more and more want a Mesh jacket, because Ryan F9s arguments have convinced me about the general safety as long as there are good protectors and reinforced pockets.
However none of the ones he recommended in recent videos are available here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I more and more want a Mesh jacket, because Ryan F9s arguments have convinced me about the general safety as long as there are good protectors and reinforced pockets.
However none of the ones he recommended in recent videos are available here.

Can someone clarify, because they're not that popular in the UK (weirdly enough) - when people talk about mesh jackets, are they talking about heavily-vented conventional leather or nylon gear, like the Dainese Air-Frame range:

Or the MX-style undersuits that are basically the bare minimum material required to keep body armour in place:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve always heard jackets referred to in three categories

Leather/perforated leather
Textile Jackets
Mesh Jackets

So my reference for a textile jacket is something like the Dainese Superspeed Textile which has no leather to speak of but is heavily vented nylon, and then mesh I’ve understood to be even more open but still with structural arms and skid areas. Not the MX undersuits you mentioned.

But I may be 100% off base.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I was thinking something like the Icon Mesh AF

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So it'd be fair to say a mesh jacket is a conventional jacket where ventilation has been put basically everywhere that's not a likely impact/slide zone? (There's a CE diagram that demonstrates this but it's on my other computer)

I assumed people meant the MX gear because normally when I see mesh gear being debated it's over the safety compared to conventional gear, but that might just be them getting confused about the definition too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So it'd be fair to say a mesh jacket is a conventional jacket where ventilation has been put basically everywhere that's not a likely impact/slide zone? (There's a CE diagram that demonstrates this but it's on my other computer)

This is what I mean by mesh at any rate. I've got a rev'it airwave jacket and it is like 75% mesh, but has armour textile on all the bits that might touch the ground in a crash.

I don't know what I'd call that MX stuff.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

RevZilla has that kind of stuff under armored shirts :shrug:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I assumed people meant the MX gear because normally when I see mesh gear being debated it's over the safety compared to conventional gear, but that might just be them getting confused about the definition too.

Mesh jacket typically refers to something like that Dainese Airwave, the neon green Fox thing is an armored shirt like kloa said

You typically don't wear any sort of jacket, mesh or otherwise, for MX/dirt - you wear a jersey over an armored shirt or under a roost protector.

SEKobra, what brands of gear are available where you live, and what kind of budget are you working with?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Keep an eye on the ADVRider Flea Market, you can frequently catch high end gear there in really good shape for cheap.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I would definitely prefer Gore-Tex, but it seems limited to mostly higher end ADV style gear which is probably way overkill for me. I like the stuff from Klim, but definitely more than I want to spend at the moment. I'll have to check out Rukka.

right arm posted:

yeah I run mosko’s stuff since I commute by motorcycle 5 days a week and it is excellent stuff. their deluge jacket is fantastic and is every bit as good as my old hand me down canadian-made arcteryx shell I got several years ago. their price on that whole set up rules too cause layering is the best system imho, but you do end up paying for it. it’s nice to be able to buy it piece by piece though!

Is there anything about Mosko that makes it "motorcycle specific" or a better option than wearing a waterproof shell you already have? I have a Marmot jacket and pants, but I wonder if it wouldn't stay together in the wind and let water in? My bike doesn't put out too much heat, so I don't think I have to worry about anything melting.

Maybe I can just start with boots, gloves, and a shell, and go from there.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

Is there anything about Mosko that makes it "motorcycle specific" or a better option than wearing a waterproof shell you already have? I have a Marmot jacket and pants, but I wonder if it wouldn't stay together in the wind and let water in? My bike doesn't put out too much heat, so I don't think I have to worry about anything melting.

Maybe I can just start with boots, gloves, and a shell, and go from there.

I prefer it to my arcteryx gear for motorcycle riding because:

- cuffs are designed with a stretchable lining so you don't have to gently caress with velcro with gloves on since it is designed as a "oh poo poo, it's raining, better layer up" garment
- hood is removable
- cheaper ($250 vs $500+ for arcteryx in the event you go down)
- mosko will fix your poo poo for free if you gently caress it up in the first two years of wearing it. if it's really hosed they'll sell you a replacement cheap
- they are (were) local to me and while their stuff is made overseas they acknowledge it, don't hide it, and do a ton of stuff for the community
- packs insanely small into a small rectangle that is designed to be packed on to the bike

if I were in your situation and already had a wp jacket and pants I'd just snag some goretex boots and gloves and then you could move on to a shell if you've got further money to burn. no sense in replacing stuff that still works imho

e: pricing

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Since we're talking adverse weather great, how realistic is it to throw on a layer of thermals under my summer gear for cool/cold weather (coming from socal, where it's not going to get THAT cold).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wore a fleece zip-up under my mesh jacket a couple times in February when it was in the mid-upper 50s and it worked pretty well, but if it was much colder or if it rained I would have frozen to death.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Since we're talking adverse weather great, how realistic is it to throw on a layer of thermals under my summer gear for cool/cold weather (coming from socal, where it's not going to get THAT cold).

it’s realistic. biggest thing is going to be blocking the wind. if you’re looking at mid 50s as cold then I’d say you’d be fine with a wp jacket, thermal underwear, and regular clothes.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Def need wind chill protection on those fingies. You can bundle up with compression stuff/hoodies/long sleeves all day, but if your hands get cold it sucks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jazzzzz posted:

SEKobra, what brands of gear are available where you live, and what kind of budget are you working with?

I think I have seen every major brand at some point, but the stores around here only seem to stock like one or two products from every brand. Since I need a somewhat larger size jacket, I don't want to buy without test fitting. Budget-wise I'm willing to pay for quality, but I don't WANT to spend much more than 200€ as it's just a hot weather garment that has little other use.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You will have access to brands that we don't get stateside (Berik, Blauer, Furygan, Ixon, etc.) and US brands like Icon and Klim will be more expensive.

If you need larger sizes I'd recommend looking at Rev'It Airwave 3 - it's ~160 Euro from fc-moto.de, should be similar prices elsewhere in the EU. Rev'It is a Dutch brand, they make stuff that fits tall people well and their gear is high quality.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can someone clarify, because they're not that popular in the UK (weirdly enough) - when people talk about mesh jackets, are they talking about heavily-vented conventional leather or nylon gear, like the Dainese Air-Frame range:

Or the MX-style undersuits that are basically the bare minimum material required to keep body armour in place:

Urban Rider definitely carries mesh jackets in the UK, such as this one:
https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/helstons-modelo-textile-jacket-brown.html

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jazzzzz posted:

You will have access to brands that we don't get stateside (Berik, Blauer, Furygan, Ixon, etc.) and US brands like Icon and Klim will be more expensive.

If you need larger sizes I'd recommend looking at Rev'It Airwave 3 - it's ~160 Euro from fc-moto.de, should be similar prices elsewhere in the EU. Rev'It is a Dutch brand, they make stuff that fits tall people well and their gear is high quality.

Haha I'm not tall, I'm wide.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A mix of both.

The former is protective everywhere at the cost of airflow, but the latter is protective only where the panels are. The yellow bits are just fabric.

Usually mesh jackets are made of a tough mesh fabric (some are CE rated for abrasion) with leather/codura panels in the key abrasion areas and pockets for impact protectors.

Knox Urbane Pro is a nearly 100% mesh jacket. Mesh everywhere, abrasion rated, can be worn on its own.

The A* Luc Air has solid panels in the key abrasion areas and “abrasion resistant” mesh everywhere else.

Both take your standard foam/d3o inserts at the joints/back.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

Knox Urbane Pro is a nearly 100% mesh jacket. Mesh everywhere, abrasion rated, can be worn on its own.

That seems like an absolutely ideal thing to own. I guess I have two questions.

Can you throw a non-bike-specific winter/waterproof jacket over it and it's still functional as abrasion/impact protection?

And is it any good at abrasion protection?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That seems like an absolutely ideal thing to own. I guess I have two questions.

Can you throw a non-bike-specific winter/waterproof jacket over it and it's still functional as abrasion/impact protection?

And is it any good at abrasion protection?
that is what it’s for. I think it’s sold as a protective “undershirt” that can be worn on its own.

They sell non-protective “motorcycle” jackets to go over the top of it. And going by the wording on their promo material, it’s mesh is CE abrasion resistant.

It does seem like the ideal squid jacket to hide under a hoodie. Unfortunately, it feels like it’s been cut for more selvete men than me. I don’t have particularly broad shoulders, but it felt very tight therej.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was thinking more about throwing a jumper and/or an oilskin over it in the winter and then wearing it on its own in the summer.

But if it's slim cut that probably rules me right out. I'll see if I can find one to try on if my state ever comes out of lockdown though because it sounds like it should be great.