Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks to everyone so far for posting up the helmet-safety chat, I've gone down a rabbit-hole in figuring out what's the best to buy going forward. I currently have a Scorpion EXO-950, which, while it is a comfortable helmet, has huge buffering issues when I'm around 70mph on the highway. Also of concern as of recent is that it has a thermoplastic exterior shell, which I'm learning isn't exactly ideal as compared to the higher-spec resins and other stuff that top-tier manufacturers like Schuberth, Arai and Shoei use. However, I'm going to be honest in that the flip-up chin is a godsend in traffic on a hot day, as I live in an area where lane splitting is illegal and the old people refuse to go when the light turns green.

Right now it's between the Schuberth E1 and the Shoei Hornet X2. The E1 meets ECE (in Europe, but we don't get that helmet here in the US) but does not meet Snell due to the modular design. The Hornet X2 does meet Snell and Shoei makes beefy helmets, but I'd be missing the modular design. Anyone have any advice?

Also holy hell there is more conflicting data on helmet crap than there is confirming. It's wild how many dissertations on safety are met by a dissertation taking down the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

funeral home DJ posted:

Right now it's between the Schuberth E1 and the Shoei Hornet X2. The E1 meets ECE (in Europe, but we don't get that helmet here in the US) but does not meet Snell due to the modular design. The Hornet X2 does meet Snell and Shoei makes beefy helmets, but I'd be missing the modular design. Anyone have any advice?

Also holy hell there is more conflicting data on helmet crap than there is confirming. It's wild how many dissertations on safety are met by a dissertation taking down the former.

Snell will not certify any helmet that's modular or has a drop down internal visor no matter how safe it is. So it doesn't really apply to modular helmets. Also check UK SHARP ratings if you want an additional point of reference. You won't get a bad helmet from Shoei.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Snell will not certify any helmet that's modular or has a drop down internal visor no matter how safe it is. So it doesn't really apply to modular helmets. Also check UK SHARP ratings if you want an additional point of reference. You won't get a bad helmet from Shoei.

They still make and sell open face helmets but they'll be the best bad protection you can get. :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

funeral home DJ posted:

You've tried both and they fit your head shape?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

funeral home DJ posted:

Thanks to everyone so far for posting up the helmet-safety chat, I've gone down a rabbit-hole in figuring out what's the best to buy going forward. I currently have a Scorpion EXO-950, which, while it is a comfortable helmet, has huge buffering issues when I'm around 70mph on the highway. Also of concern as of recent is that it has a thermoplastic exterior shell, which I'm learning isn't exactly ideal as compared to the higher-spec resins and other stuff that top-tier manufacturers like Schuberth, Arai and Shoei use. However, I'm going to be honest in that the flip-up chin is a godsend in traffic on a hot day, as I live in an area where lane splitting is illegal and the old people refuse to go when the light turns green.

Scorpion also use fibre composites and carbon, it's not just "top" brands, but more that the EXO950 isn't a high spec lid. For example, the Exo Tech modular helmet can be bought in either polycarb or carbon versions. If you like the adv style then Scorpion have the ADX 2 now, which is ECE 22.06 certified. It's polycarb rather than composite though. LS2 have a new 22.06 certified 180 flip coming called the Advant, might also be worth a look, but again it's polycarb. If it's passing 22.06 though then the only real negative to polycarb is the weight. Feel free to ignore the lack of Snell on something ECE rated.

Buffeting could be bike dependent, so you might experience bad buffeting no matter what helmet you choose if the bike and your fit on it are just right for creating it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Midjack posted:

They still make and sell open face helmets but they'll be the best bad protection you can get. :v:

Hey hey, it'll protect 3/4 of your head really well! Just don't hit the other 1/4 on anything.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

pun pundit posted:

You've tried both and they fit your head shape?

It's more along the line that I'll have to order this online as the nearest Cycle Gear is 20+ miles away and is constantly out of stock on everything due to the fact that it's the only one in like a 100+ mile radius in Western PA. If I'm going to order a helmet, I'm hoping to keep it unless it truly is a terrible fit.

Also, thank you to everyone for the advice, now to just compile everything.

Lungboy posted:

Buffeting could be bike dependent, so you might experience bad buffeting no matter what helmet you choose if the bike and your fit on it are just right for creating it.

Yeah I've been digging into this and buffeting seems to be a regular complaint for the Africa Twin thanks to a weirdly-sized windscreen. I'm thinking a taller windscreen is in my future as if I stand on the pegs like a douche, the helmet doesn't beat me up at all.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I made a little tiny toolkit to take on the bike. Should fit just fine in the existing tool pouch with the preload wrench.

I was going to just stick a Leatherman in there but figured this is more functional for the same cost.

Aww look at the little baby ratchet 🥰

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My default vacation trip kit. Tools, multimeter, chain lube, tire foam, first aid kit, wire repair kit, misc useful stuff like luggage net, waterproof bag, state mandated hi Vis vest for accidents.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Knipex are the goddamn best, I love my push button channel locks, didn't know they made mini ones.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Knipex are the goddamn best

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Knipex are the goddamn best, I love my push button channel locks, didn't know they made mini ones.

they have even smaller ones than those too. quite cute

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I keep eyeing the Schuberth C5 as deals keep coming up. I can't really justify buying it, as my C3 Pro is in good shape, but my "want" factor is pretty big after having test ridden it.
It does have ECE22.06 which is really cool, but as far as I can tell it also has gotten a bit heavier. The new vents are good and the visibility is amazing. But I don't need a new lid. Also could get the SC2 and finally have a bluetooth solution that won't crush my ears.

Goddamnit, someone talk me out of this. Or plunge me in, IDK.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Having good audio in your helmet is loving great. It looks like a pretty good package, I think you should get it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For anyone else who gets a Hepco & Becker Lock-It magnetically mounted bag, note that the bike half of the mount has a couple of slip-on plastic covers over the magnets and once you remove those, the bag will actually lock down rather than kind of sit precariously with about 4 ounces of force holding it on. Ask me how I discovered this. :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So did anyone run over your bag before you managed to retrieve it from the road or

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

So did anyone run over your bag before you managed to retrieve it from the road or

No, luckily I discovered all this while test fitting in my backyard before I drilled holes in the bag for it's half of the mount. I had a really long email to the US distributor typed up asking what I was doing wrong and including pictures and video with me using a spring scale to demonstrate the weak hold and just before I hit send I was playing with the mount and discovered it.

I didn't find any pictures or videos anywhere that explicitly showed that there were removable covers though looking back at some of videos again I can see that they have them taken off and just don't mention it. Similarly the installation sheets don't say anything about it either.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I didn't ride down to my mom's at Easter as the lower temps + windchill on the highway would have meant colder hands than I wanted to risk so early in the season. As we were sitting at the kitchen table one morning I was describing various ways of deflecting the wind of your grips, including the trusty "split a 2 litre pop bottle in half trick" etc.

Like, it literally didn't occur to me until last night scrolling through CA while in front of the TV that I could just, you know, order the drat Barkbuster BBZs and finally install the heated grips I bought a couple years ago when I got the new biek. So I ordered them lol.

The grips I'd been waffling on for a bit because I didn't want to try to install them just working out on the street, despite doing exactly this on the Bandit years ago. IDK, long term brain fart I guess.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Finally used the Arai lid I had bought in November on for an actual ride.

I had been using my HJC full time, but the visor clasp broke on holiday, so a new visor is ordered and I took the Arai out of the box and took the sticky protective film off after having tried it on a few months back.

Man, the Arai is excellent. So comfortable, perfectly clear and zero fogging from the excellent pinlock (way better than HJC's one, which had a small bit of fogging).

The only thing I prefer about the HJC is the visor unlocking on it, it's harder on the Arai, but given that the Arai doesn't fog at all so far I may just have to unlearn putting the visor up at roundabouts/junctions!

TLDR: Arai is worth the £££s.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

TLDR: Arai is worth the £££s.

💯

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Something from Arai definitely a contender for replacing my RF-1200 in a few years once it hits its best-before date. Assuming that the shape fits right.

In other news, after half a month with my MX9-ADV… It looks great. It’s comfortable as heck. But man, it’s loud as gently caress. I’m not going to say I regret buying it, but at the same time I’m not NOT saying that. Should have just trucked the RF-1200 no matter how spaceman it looks on a big wannabe dirtbike.

But what’s done is done and it’s still a nice option for around town when I want a big windy ride. If I could find a pair of goggles that fit inside I think that would be awesome, but so far everything I’ve tried has fit really weird.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

Something from Arai definitely a contender for replacing my RF-1200 in a few years once it hits its best-before date. Assuming that the shape fits right.

In other news, after half a month with my MX9-ADV… It looks great. It’s comfortable as heck. But man, it’s loud as gently caress. I’m not going to say I regret buying it, but at the same time I’m not NOT saying that. Should have just trucked the RF-1200 no matter how spaceman it looks on a big wannabe dirtbike.

But what’s done is done and it’s still a nice option for around town when I want a big windy ride. If I could find a pair of goggles that fit inside I think that would be awesome, but so far everything I’ve tried has fit really weird.

XD4 is fantastic and pretty quiet if you want to look the dirt biker part :D

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

some kinda jackal posted:

If I could find a pair of goggles that fit inside I think that would be awesome, but so far everything I’ve tried has fit really weird.

I snagged the Leatt Velocity 4.5s on sale a few months back and they work well with my MX9adv to the point where I just wear them with that helmet all the time now. I'm likely going to swap out the bubble visor with a tinted one for the summer so I can drop it and get some protection from the sun when needed.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Steakandchips posted:

The only thing I prefer about the HJC is the visor unlocking on it, it's harder on the Arai, but given that the Arai doesn't fog at all so far I may just have to unlearn putting the visor up at roundabouts/junctions!

I did get used to that little clasp Arai added to the visor, you just have to tug it out then up with a thumb, but gently caress if it's not still annoying compared to the simpler old visor setup (and harder to do with my left than right).

Between that, the whistling with the visor up that I know is not fundamentally their concern, the fact that the red snap for the buckle excess has popped off twice, lost the second time, and they won't just mail me a replacement (gotta mail it to them to replace the whole strap and not ride for a few weeks), and the vent caps are way harder to adjust blind than the Signet-R, I'm doing something else next time. I'll probably learn how good I have it now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I keep praying that Shoei updates the X-14 so I have an excuse to upgrade from my RF-1200. Maybe next year lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

italian quid posted:

I keep praying that Shoei updates the X-14 so I have an excuse to upgrade from my RF-1200. Maybe next year lol

I've had an X-14 / X-Spirit 3 since 2018, would recommend. Though I guess it's not worth an upgrade if your current one is ok.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

I did get used to that little clasp Arai added to the visor, you just have to tug it out then up with a thumb, but gently caress if it's not still annoying compared to the simpler old visor setup (and harder to do with my left than right).

Between that, the whistling with the visor up that I know is not fundamentally their concern, the fact that the red snap for the buckle excess has popped off twice, lost the second time, and they won't just mail me a replacement (gotta mail it to them to replace the whole strap and not ride for a few weeks), and the vent caps are way harder to adjust blind than the Signet-R, I'm doing something else next time. I'll probably learn how good I have it now.

If you're wearing a Signet because you really need that long oval shape, good fuckin' luck trying to find anything else that fits even remotely as well. There are a ton of things I dislike about the Signet-X but I'll be damned if I can find another helmet that is as comfortable. Arais are stupid expensive and come with a lot of annoying quirks, but they're the only helmets I've found that aren't annoying or downright painful after 20 minutes.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

I've had an X-14 / X-Spirit 3 since 2018, would recommend. Though I guess it's not worth an upgrade if your current one is ok.

The RF-1200 is definitely too good to warrant paying the big jump to the X-14 for no reason but if the X-15 comes out I'm probably going to just say it's time to replace it based on the age even though it's only 3 years old now lol

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Welp, bought the Schuberth C5 with the Sena 50R (SC2) and the Sena is already bricked by the looks of it. It was completely dead at first, but after a quick charge did work (with low battery warning) at first. After having it left charging for a while I was gonna try it out now, but it's completely dead dead. There is a slight buzzing noise audible if I hold it to my ear, so either a loop or a dead component still active inside. Handily, Sena included a reset button, too bad it does absolutely nothing. The USB tool simply doesn't even recognize it.
I'm starting the moto gods don't want me to ever use Bluetooth.

Here's the sound if anyone is curious:
https://dl.s-c.pw/sc2.m4a

I opened it up, seeing as there are only 4 Philips screws, nothing but unplugging the battery works, even after a hard reset it starts right up again. Obviously something is fried here. Just my luck, my previous two Schuberth replacement visors both had damage as well.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 25, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

If you're wearing a Signet because you really need that long oval shape, good fuckin' luck trying to find anything else that fits even remotely as well. There are a ton of things I dislike about the Signet-X but I'll be damned if I can find another helmet that is as comfortable. Arais are stupid expensive and come with a lot of annoying quirks, but they're the only helmets I've found that aren't annoying or downright painful after 20 minutes.

Yeah I'm afraid thread title applies to me too, but I'm not certain how oval as the first time I shopped it was Arai Signet and a bunch of round stuff.

Before I picked up this Signet-X I went crosseyed looking at the data here:
https://www.lidpicker.com/free-data
My takeaway was the Arai Signet-X is the most oval available, Icon Airflite the next ovalest (but go up a size (but another goon's report on this helmet was not at all promising)), followed by other even less-oval Icons and Arais.

I do have a note that "LS2 has long ovals", but I was ultimately limited by what was handy in Cycle Gear to try on. Maybe 4 years from now it'll be better...

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Woah woah thanks for that link, i didn't realize they have free data like that.

Alright... confirms that I just need to buy an RF1400 and be happy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I'm afraid thread title applies to me too, but I'm not certain how oval as the first time I shopped it was Arai Signet and a bunch of round stuff.

Before I picked up this Signet-X I went crosseyed looking at the data here:
https://www.lidpicker.com/free-data
My takeaway was the Arai Signet-X is the most oval available, Icon Airflite the next ovalest (but go up a size (but another goon's report on this helmet was not at all promising)), followed by other even less-oval Icons and Arais.

I do have a note that "LS2 has long ovals", but I was ultimately limited by what was handy in Cycle Gear to try on. Maybe 4 years from now it'll be better...

I actually paid for the custom lidpicker info a few years back and the suggestions don't necessarily line up with reality. The Airflite was marked "ideal", but leaves a major hotspot on my forehead even when sized up. The SignetX is marked "slightly rounder" but fits perfectly. The Scorpion AT950 is marked the same as the Arai, but the hotspot it gives me is as bad as the Airflite. Lidpicker says the Arai XD4 is too round for my melon, but I can wear one with no problems. Long story short, you really have to try everything on for yourself.

A few hits and misses from my efforts to try and find something that's not an Arai but also doesn't make my head feel like it's in a vise:
  • LS2s are long oval but not as long as the Signet X, the liners suck, and they feel cheaply made
  • Icon Airflite feels fine for 20-ish minutes but after that I still get a forehead hotspot that becomes migraine inducing. Helmet is incredibly tight to pull on. Changing out to the liner from a larger size did not improve the hotspot, it just made for a looser overall fit (FWIW I measure in right at the bottom of XL, 61cm). Quality-wise it's trash like most other Icon gear - the internal visor mechanism is sticky, the foam adhesive holding the rear spoiler on gave up the ghost on the first and only ride where I wore the helmet.
  • Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS fit surprisingly well, but again - felt cheap (this is not marked as a long oval helmet, BTW). For comparison, various flavors of the Bell Star seemed much better made, but didn't fit. Lidpicker said the RS2 would be an ideal fit, but it hasn't been made for years
  • Shoei GT-Air 2 seemed like it might work when I tried on locally, but I still need to order one and wear it around the house for a while (also not marked as a long oval helmet). Local dudes don't accept helmet returns
  • Wanted a modular, tried the AT950 since Lidpicker said it might work; it does not. Punches a bit above its weight in the quality for price dept. though; doesn't feel like a $200 helmet

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If nothing else, you've made me appreciate that the signet-x fits my head real nice. They've been really comfortable helmets. And tucking the loose buckle in on itself for lack of a snap is not a big deal.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jazzzzz posted:

• LS2s are long oval but not as long as the Signet X, the liners suck, and they feel cheaply made

• Shoei GT-Air 2 seemed like it might work when I tried on locally, but I still need to order one and wear it around the house for a while (also not marked as a long oval helmet). Local dudes don't accept helmet returns

After a lot of trial and error (I had no idea about oval vs round head and whathaveyou a few years back, and still today many brands don't even namedrop those things and you have to go looking for specialized sites/reviews...) I determined that my head is a somewhat long oval shape, and the 2 most comfortable helmets I've had are my current ones : Shoei GT-Air 2 and LS2 Infinity. All others were either making hotspots on my forehead, or fit way too large on the sides.

I agree that the LS2 isn't the best made helmet re: liners and techs, but they are quite cheap and it makes for a very good city riding helmet for my scooter, as I'm not wearing it for more than 30 minutes at a time or so and the great airflow and visibility completely trump any other concern (it gets seriously hot here and a stop-and-go in traffic in summer with a full face helmet is way too hot to handle for me, I feel like fainting and that's not good while riding), also it's an almost perfect fit for my weird noggin. Whenever I'm on a longer ride or out of town, the Shoei wins of course.

I never tried Arai simply because there's no dealers nearby and they are way too expensive for me (Shoei is close but you can actually get good deals on old graphics or whatever, Arais here seem to always stay at full price forever)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 26, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is LS2 a new brand or just one I hadn't encountered before? I feel like they weren't a thing when I got into bikes three or four years ago, and now I notice them everywhere. But the more likely explanation is that when I was getting into it I just sorted by price ascending and picked one that didn't have awful "it'll kill you" reviews online.

Arai vs Shoei -- I'm legitimately curious just how much more improvement the next price jump buys me. Going from a CL-17 to my RF-1200 felt like stepping up from a 2006 Chevy Cobalt to a nice modern midrange Mercedes or something. Great fit and finish feel, quiet, well featured. Dumb car analogy, I know, but I think you get my meaning. Not sure how much more comfortable or quieter or packed with creature comforts the next $300 jump buys me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 26, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
LS2 have been around since the 90s.

VV Their Thunder is FIM homologated and they have 2 or 3 22.06 helmets about to launch, so they're up there on the safety side.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 26, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have one LS2 helmet (cost 99 euro) i bought for my ex half a decade ago.
Quality feels just okay. Bit plasticky. It doesn't hide the fact that you're surrounding your head with a shell of styrofoam and plastic very well. It was good enough for the occasional time i took my ex on a ride.
They're safe enough to pass EU regulations.

My own 220 euro HJC is a lot better. I have no idea how good the more expensive LS2's are.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I should buy another Arai Chaser-X and just keep it stored in a cool dry place for when I need it, before the model is discontinued.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Welp, after nursing an RF-1100 along for far too long this thread finally convinced me to buy a Signet-X for my H. R. Giger-esque head. God drat helmets are expensive. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steakandchips posted:

I should buy another Arai Chaser-X and just keep it stored in a cool dry place for when I need it, before the model is discontinued.

Remember that helmets do have a shelf life regardless of how much they are worn due to the foam breaking down a bit naturally over time. Also did you mean corsair-x? Pretty sure arai hasnt really discontinued a fit of helmet ever btw