Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My brother, who hasn't rode for a few years, just told me about https://www.lightmodehelmets.com/

And so help me I want a set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

like a normal idiot.

But I want to be a shiny idiot

What I'll almost certainly end up doing is look up how to DIY it, cost it out, and then never do anything about it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Without good statistics to hand, we're really only working on conjecture here. But I believe loud pipes aren't a very good comparison to brightly-colored gear, because brightly-colored gear doesn't piss people off like loud pipes do. A better visual equivalent would be like if you were wearing the flashing lights from one of those carnival rides that spin you around real fast, and halfway through the operator goes "Do you want to gO FASTER??!!!!" and then there's a siren that goes vvvWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and you hurl corndogs all over your big brother

What I'm saying is that there's a social cost to using loud pipes as a "safety" measure, and the benefit from it is probably outweighed by that cost. That's simply not the case for colorful gear. The worst you'll get is someone laughing at you and saying you look like a power ranger, and gently caress 'em, power rangers are cool.

There are real and serious issues with the way human brains work that make motorcycles difficult to see and react to, and I'm betting that in the face of that, colorful gear probably only makes a slim improvement, if anything. To discard it as useless doesn't quite fit, but to say it's worthwhile as a safety measure probably oversells it, unless what you're really worried about is being found in the bushes on the side of the road after you bail.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Don't worry about SNELL.

Those 2 are both ECE and Sharp, and therefore Will Keep Your Head Safe when you are riding on the street.

I've had an i70 since last year and I didn't even realize that it had an ECE test until five minutes ago. HJC only stickers it for its intended location, so the US and Canada get a DOT sticker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have two different lengths of extension for my 1/4 and 3/8" drives, because sometimes you only need a little extension and too much will put you somewhere else your wrench can't turn.

Hex bit sockets (allen key adapters for a socket wrench) in the sizes you commonly use are a real nice-to-have, but not a right-away thing. Eventually you'll probably find one or two bolts that are just an absolute bastard to turn with an allen key because of clearances or how you have to hold things, and you'll try the hex bit and it'll take thirty seconds to get apart. So far I've only found them in 3/8" drive but I tend to shop at places like Princess Auto (Canada's Harbor Freight) or hardware stores.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wear glasses anyway, so I tried clipons

They were polarized, and each lens picked up a different tint from the light refracting a bit as it came through the visor. Like, one eye was seeing everything a bit pinkish, the other was seeing everything a bit greenish. (It wasn't that the lenses had a bit of tint themselves. I tried moving the clipons around behind the visor when it was off the helmet and I could see the color change in the lens.) It was disconcerting, and the last place I want to be disconcerted is riding a motorcycle, so I went out the next day and bought a tinted visor.

That was a mid-2000s HJC, when they still had the rep of "better than you'd think a cheap Korean helmet would be", so maybe other visors are more optically perfect and wouldn't do that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

If your sunglasses have polarized lenses, you're going to see weird rainbows and strange colors on the visor, doesn't matter if it's "optically perfect" or not.

I didn't want to say polarized lenses would do that inside any visor, because I never bothered experimenting after that first time, so, good to know!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Huge crosswinds while driving across flat open farmland was seriously the first time I almost cried on my bike.

I wish I was joking. I was SO exhausted after an hour of that, it was like fighting for every inch of the ride home.

At the end of my solo weeklong ride out to Vancouver Island a decade ago, I was being blown around by wind coming out of the mountains - real annoying cause that poo poo curls and eddies around and it can come from anywhere at any moment. I was fatigued and achy and sick of the trans-canada and just wanted to get home safely, and the wind was so fuckin' demoralizing. And then, as I left the mountains and got into the foothills, I realized - my shoulder airscoops on my jacket were wide open.

I zipped those up and the wind didn't push me around nearly so much.

Fuckin' dummy.

e: I want to be clear I meant i am the dummy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone used to make gloves with a windshield wiper rubber part along the outside of the index finger

I forget who hit it always seemed like a really dumb and really good idea simultaneously

Both my old and my new Helds have that

I kept the old ones long enough that the rubber started to denature and I didn't notice until I smeared black gunk on my visor

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

So my partner is pretty nervous about me starting motorcycling so I was looking around for a crash detection thing to help ease her anxiety. I found a few phone apps most of which were addled with ads or wanted $$ for questionable performance. I went looking outside the moto products. I knew my garmin edge 520 has a crash detection feature but it has been not super reliable before (maybe they finally fixed it). But I remembered that specialized has a crash detection device called ANGI (it's icedot if you remember that from back when).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=259980-170203&searchText=60519-8000&size=One+Size

So I stuck one on my HJC. It uses an accelerometer to detect a crash, the app is free and there is no subscription or anything. You don't even have to record a ride, you just open the app before you go and wake up the sensor.

If it detects a crash you have a set amount of time (15 to 120 seconds) which you can set, to disable it, before it sends a text/email to your emergency contact with your location.

Made my partner feel a lot better so if that sounds like something yall can use, go to your local specialized bicycle dealer.

poo poo, that's actually a pretty good idea. I don't have coverage in some of my favorite bits of BC, but that's like 5% of my yearly riding if I'm lucky

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Ride with a friend. Solve many problems at once. Out of gas? Siphon from a friend! Want your photo taken in the middle of nowhere? Friend. Have an accident that renders you unable to call for help? Download an app.

I haven't found anyone I like riding with yet (as in on another bike), other than my brother, but unfortunately he only had a bike for a couple years. I can't begrudge him that, he'd rather spend his recreation time going mountain biking or hiking with his wife and dog.

My wife's a great pillion but she's got maybe an hour's worth of saddle time endurance, and that obviously doesn't help the issue of calling for help if we go down.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh also:

Russian Bear posted:

the app is free and there is no subscription or anything

I was looking for reviews for ANGI, and it did start out with a $29/year subscription, after the first year of activation... But then this happened

quote:

Matilda Raynolds, product marketing manager at Specialized Australia says of the fee change: “[...] when we launched the all-new ANGi helmet range with MIPS, which transformed the bicycle helmet into a live tracking device, crash detector, and safety beacon, riders were saying that one of the biggest barriers to engaging with ANGI was the annual subscription fee.

“We therefore listened to our riders and agreed that no one should pay a premium for safety. We were quick to adapt and remove the annual subscription fee to activate ANGi.”

Mirabile fuckin dictu, a corporation abandoning the subscription model

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T Zero posted:

Is there a good solution for carrying drinks on a bike? I just want a cupholder or something to hold a drink or coffee when I pickup takeout.

Usually I put the food in my backpack, but I'm reluctant to put a disposable beverage container in there.

Buy a ZRX, the well under the seat can handily accept a medium coke and a bag of hamburger

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Internal sun visor hooked up to a solenoid and a light sensor.

e/ in the realm of similar things you could add to helmets that don't have an internal visor, I'm sure I've seen some brand that had the sun visor on the outside. Bolted on through the main visor I think.

Consider: just wear a fuckin hat on your helmet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there any issue with installing a Pinlock on a visor you've been using for a while already?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a Givi rack and two different case sizes for my Vstrom, sold the bigger cases with the bike but kept the smaller ones and got a compatible SW Motech rack for the Rex.

With the Motech rack you are supposed to be able to pop the racks off for a cleaner appearance. I never do, because it was kind of a bear getting everything lined up the first time. The Givi rack I had was just tubular steel and looked reasonably clean on its own, though it did look like it was starting to rust underneath the powdercoat by the time I sold the bike. No bubbling or anything, just a weird surface tone.

Kappa are a slightly cheaper subsidiary that are compatible with Givi racks. Often they're the same drat case as a Givi.

The E/K21 and 22 sizes are plenty for doing errands around town and picking up a few bags of groceries. I have the 21s with the round top, but those seem to be discontinued by both companies.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 25, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

I'm amazed that people who know very well that bikes only attracts dudes care how virginal their bike great makes them look.

There's still a difference between looking like Tom of Finland and Tom from Accounts Receivable

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I may wear my old Scorpion helmet the next time I can get in a multi-day ride. This is the second time I've come back from a 3+ hour ride in my hjc i70 with my eyes stinging. I thought the breeze up from the chin was shrivelling my eyeballs, but adding a chin curtain appears not to have solved the problem. Maybe it's airflow from the chin vent?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's smoky as gently caress here this morning, smells like a wood fire (because of all the wood fires, obv.) I started coughing as soon as I poked my head outside so I begged off riding to work in favor of sitting in my car breathing air that's passed through a HEPA filter. Any ideas for a particulate mask that fits into a full face? My covid mask just fucks off as soon as I try sliding my helmet down.

Jesus, I hope that's the most climate change thing I ever have to say in my life. I know it won't be, but I can hope.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought a pinlock insert for my hjc i70 visor (it comes Pinlock-ready) but didn't use it until this morning, which was, fortuitously, cool and humid outside. Previously the visor in this helmet has fogged up real bad unless I crack it openleave it friggin halfway open. Today, the fog still visibly built up, but it vanished almost immediately.

Guess I'm fuckin sold on pinlock.

E: if Icon isn't chasing a Mandalorian tie-in with the shape of that visor I don't know what the gently caress.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My usual pants are an old tourmaster leather overpant, and the elastic waist has long been kinda loose. Would it be a bad idea to get some buttons or belt loops put in for suspenders?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope a lot of things don't grind my dick to a stump.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
First rule of Italian motorbike parking: what is behind me is not important

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've soaked my leather overpants a number of times and I find that what dries out leather overpants tolerably well is 120km/h winds, such as might be generated by riding on a motorcycle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I tried out that Specialized ANGI crash monitor on my trip last week. It's quite small and sticks firmly to the back of my helmet, powered by a watch battery, and it stayed on in 200 km/h headwinds. (Ssh.)

I did some preliminary testing with it before I stuck it on. It alarmed when: I threw the sensor down the stairs, and I lobbed it underhand at my bed. Guessing it's just an accelerometer or three and part of what it looks for is freefall. Once on my helmet, it did not alarm doing hard takeoffs or high speeds or lots of linked turns. I haven't tested it in anger because I don't want to purposely crash my bike, but it'd be interesting to try it out on a motocross track or doing some woods riding.

It's just a crash sensor. It bluetooth links to your phone, and the Specialized app is what handles the callout. My biggest worry about it was its survivability in a motorcycle crash, but it actually alarmed in the air when I tested it. So even with the harder impacts we can take compared to MTB riders, if the sensor can get an oh-poo poo signal to your phone before it's smeared along the pavement, you should still get a message out if you're in reception (and your phone survives).

You can set the app to message multiple people, and send both a text and an email. That's good because sms texts can often get through in places with marginal reception.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

lmao gonna start bootlegging good gloves to california now

Don't you mean glovearming

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

No it would be glovehanding.

But it isn't bootfooting

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been wearing a Tourmaster Transition jacket for like the last, gently caress, 11 years, and it's become concerningly threadbare! At the time it was a great value for the money, and warm as it was I could wear it most of the riding season here, but they seem to have become kind of thin on the ground in Canada. Any suggestions on a decent replacement that doesn't cost Klim/Revit $$$$?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sure, that's a consideration. OTOH if it was good enough for me for that long, and, since it's textile, I'm going to be throwing that entire investment away if I crash in it and it does its job, why would I want to pay more?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, I see what's happening here and what guy I'm being

Still gonna be that guy

My view is, with textile gear, if you crash, it's finished whether you paid $200 or $900 for it. (Except for Aerostitch, apparently, and I don't know if that's still the case.) Unless the $900 jacket is literally four times better to wear than the $200, or it performs four times better in a drop, I don't really see the point in chasing the diminishing returns. It'd be different if it wasn't a one-use-only item!

But, I don't think I've ever checked with my insurance agency about gear replacement, and I'm due for a renewal anyway, so I'll give them a shout too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

How often do you plan on crashing?

I don't, but it's a possibility every time I get on the bike, which is why we're wearing gear in the first place??

Russian Bear posted:

With how popular textile adv gear is, you usually do get more protection if you spend a little more money. I haven't seen any $200 jackets that are rated any higher than A, whereas Klim has a AAA rated textile (granted it's like $1500). Having said all that, you can probably find an AA rated jacket with the features you desire under $500 ish though.

Do you also buy cheap helmets because you might use them?

Thank you, this is useful information! At the time, the Tourmaster had great reviews, not just for the price. (Tbh I don't remember what I paid for it at the time, it was in a local store so I can't look up the receipt in my emails. The current one runs like $200 US.) But like I said, it's been a long-rear end time since I bought a jacket and I'm not opposed to the idea that I'm out of the loop. Sorry if I'm being oblivious, but "rated AA" by who?

To answer your second question, all of my helmets have been around $2-300 from HJC or Scorpion. They've all fit well, they've all had decent approvals for the time. And yes, given the riding season here, and what I know about my own habits, I've made the choice, given the above, to not get into a more expensive helmet. Even if I don't wipe, I'm replacing it every few years, and when I'm only actually riding for half that time or less, I don't see the increased comfort as being worth double or more the cost. If I were riding more I might, or if motorcycling were my only inadvisable and expensive pastime I might, but neither of these are true.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of why I kept the Tourmaster so long is that it was comfortable for me anywhere from around freezing to the mid 20s (Celsius) over top of whatever clothes I'd be wearing that day anyway, without adding the liner. Also was moderately water resistant. Less so the older it's got, of course.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

I'm considering buying an Alpinestars Halo Drystar, the temperature versatility would be really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA5axr-Syc

Wonder how the hell Ryan got one for 450 CAD, Fortnine's storefront lists them for 700 (or would if any were in stock)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

Helmet and gloves are such specific items that I doubt many people would just steal them out of opportunity. I often leave my stuff on the bike when in the city. The only times I'd really be worried is with drunks or in areas with high amounts of property damage, where people destroy stuff out of spite.

What I worry about more is someone in the next parking stall accidentally bumping it off the bike, and me not noticing the scuff marks. That, or some looky-lou clowning around with my poo poo and dropping it. It's never actually happened yet (that I've noticed) but there's no accounting for people.

With my first bike, I was still living in an apartment, and one of my neighbors told me the guy who parked his truck next to me tapped my Sherpa with his bumper and knocked it over, then put it back up without leaving a note.

Conversely, on the Weestrom I left my keys in the ignition while I was having breakfast in Victoria and some helpful soul put some leaves over top of them.

In short Canadians are a land of contrasts

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 6, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone used Revit Scram standalone kneepads? Thinking of getting a pair to replace my cheap motocross kneepads that I definitely shouldn't have been using this long. This is for street use under my leather overpants (or riding jeans if I ever get some.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How bad is it for elbow and shoulder armor to be permanently attached to a jacket? I've been thinking about getting one of those Halo Drystar convertible jackets since last summer* and only recently saw one in person, and the armor's sewn onto the mesh sleeve. The biggest downside I can think of is that if the armor visibly degrades, it can't be easily replaced.

*They've been out of stock everywhere here since Ryan Fortnine's glowing review! Canada's gear distributorship system is a great demonstration of how, if allowed, capitalism will recapitulate the most visible flaws of a command economy, and there are times I have half a mind to walk the two blocks to the Parts Canada headquarters and start throwing bricks

I'd throw eggs or toilet paper but I'm no Croesus

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

The pro move is to wear it in the cabin for the entire flight.
Broken in!

"Why... are you wearing a crash helmet?"
"You know, just in case"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions on getting a face mask into a full-face helmet? It's smokey as gently caress out today (like the sky is orange) and I'd prefer not to give myself emphysema riding to work.

I tried one of my old fabric masks from the early days of covid and my cheek pads just pushed it right down my face.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

If you have an N95, it's possible to push it up from the bottom and get it over your nose/mouth. Eg.

That was kind of what I was thinking, thanks for corroborating. It worked pretty well, too, once I worked the sides in under the cheek pads. I caught a couple of whiffs of smoke on the way home but nothing like in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

I'd say it's the opposite, most riders are acquainted with the fact that between gear fit being challenging, limited sets of brands in various stores, and the fact that quality stuff sometimes has dorky poo poo plastered on it, half of all motorcyclists are running around in mismatched clownsuits, and it's a good sign.

Sort of in line with that, I've always been of the opinion that if all your gear matches your bike, you're maybe trying a little too hard there bud

(sponsored racers excepted, and obviously not so much if your bike is black (unless you're one of those Harley dudes who obviously never spent a dime outside the dealership))