Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just want to say that Rukka trousers and jackets are amazing.

I was in a lowside 2 days ago, not a single scratch or bruise on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can someone clarify, because they're not that popular in the UK (weirdly enough) - when people talk about mesh jackets, are they talking about heavily-vented conventional leather or nylon gear, like the Dainese Air-Frame range:

Or the MX-style undersuits that are basically the bare minimum material required to keep body armour in place:

Urban Rider definitely carries mesh jackets in the UK, such as this one:
https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/helstons-modelo-textile-jacket-brown.html

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Keket posted:

Recommending J & S accessories for a brick and mortar chain if you're in the UK, also they usually give a good % off if you mention you just passed your test (good for when I passed my full test years ago and decided to up my gear game).

I tried on every single XL and XXL helmet J&S had in Hamilton, Glasgow. They were quite patient with me. I spent about 2h+ there gearing up for the first time right after my CBT.

Now I just get stuff online from Sportsbikeshop, or, rarely, UrbanRider (they have some D3O armour for a lot cheaper than SBS).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Instead of using your phone, get a proper GPS (TomTom > Garmin).

It's robust and 100% waterproof and doesn't give a poo poo about vibrations.

And you can add a Billy Connolly navigation voice.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have the TomTom 550, so it doesn't have those 7 contacts on the back. It just has 2 flat ones.

It's been pretty reliable on my tiny Honda. The 2 contact pins on the charger mount on the bike doesn't work if it's been sat in the rain and there's been some corrosion on it, but you can clean it with isopropyl and it works again (and then make sure you use an aftermarket cover on the charger mount when you are away from the bike so it doesn't get rained on).

Of course, should the contacts fail on either the charger mount or the unit itself, I can always use micro-usb to charge it too while using it while riding.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Is there a standalone GPS unit that will let you control phone music and show you messages and phone calls?

The TomTom will show you phonecalls and read out your messages.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A standalone TomTom GPS unit is:

1. Sturdier.
2. Uses it's own battery, so doesn't drain your phone in case you don't have it hooked up to your bike battery.
3. 100% waterproof.
4. Works even in mobile coverage dead spots.
5. Nice and bright screen that's easy to read in all weather.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

So if I'm comparing it to a flagship phone, this becomes a fairly moot point because:

1. Phone can either go inside a mounted case (like givi), or be wearing a case and be secured to the handlebars
2. Not having a power supply on the motorcycle is just negligence. You need it for essentially everything, including the battery tender connection.
3. Many flagship phones are waterproof, water resistant or that issue is solved by the case/enclosure.
4. The TomTom app I mentioned above preloads maps. But then it also uses real-time traffic data. Google Maps also has an option to preload maps and will absolutely continue navigation when you're outside cellular service area. I've tested it. The downside is that GoogleMaps refused to plot route on the fly, which I believe TomTom app would solve.
5. That's a weird point, considering how bright the phone screen can get.

Since I haven't used it standalone GPS in a long time, I don't see enough evidence to suggest it's time to go back. Other than protecting your phone and having another device take a beating in case of an accident or lightning strike, I really don't see the benefit. Phone has an added benefit of flexibility, is that you can use multiple apps, route tracking, screen functions like android auto and be infinitely programmable to do whatever. Havin seen the Goldwing/ AfricaTwin screen in action, I believe that's actually the future. Now, how do I retrofit that on all my bikes?

The TomTom GPS unit has all maps to everywhere preloaded and updated and ready to go. It also has real time traffic data and speed camera locations.

It also always Just Works. It also doesn't have a camera that is killed by vibrations.

I've used an iPhone for navigation before. The GPS unit is way better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'd be up for the Dainese but I'm in the UK...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just replied back!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have the Oxford Hot Hands wrap around removeable heated grips.

They're very useful here.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice one RR!

I ordered some Knox gloves that should be arriving tomorrow as well, 2 pairs for 70 quid or so, fantastic deals.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rukka's prior-to-D3O-armour was way less malleable and comfortable than D3O. I have swapped out for D3O as it is way more comfortable.

Also, the SeeSmart shown here https://www.revitsport.com/en/learning-center/revit-protection-technology/, I have some of that too. I would argue that one is too malleable if you put it in jeans, i.e. it keeps folding in on itself which is annoying. The "D3O Ghost" version of that is better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am intrigued by the RF-1400.

Is it suitable for very round melon like heads?

Or is it more oval shaped?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Darn.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have the fast transitions lenses in my glasses. Really useful for riding.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Slavvy I love you buddy but imagine caring enough about what other people want to do with their free money that you complain about some frivolous helmet decoration :haw:

We need to get Slavvy a higher paying job so once he has money to piss away we can watch with interest to see how he pisses it away!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rukka motorcycle trousers are fantastic, but be sure to get the C1 length.

C1 = Short
C2 = Medium
C3 = Long

I'm 6', with a 30" inseam and C1 fits good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Car drivers give me a lot more room on my big cruiser with loud pipes than they ever did on my Honda 125.

Clearly loud pipes and big bikes save lives.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You a round head or an oval head or an in between?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

T Zero posted:

The helmet I had (HJC i10) is labeled as an intermediate oval on Revzilla, but I'm feeling pressure on the sides of the top of my head, which leads me to believe I'm more round.

I found a similar HJC that's supposedly rounder (CL-17), but it's been discontinued, so I'm trying to find websites that have my size in stock.

The IS-17 and i70 are for round heads.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't worry about SNELL.

Those 2 are both ECE and Sharp, and therefore Will Keep Your Head Safe when you are riding on the street.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Phy posted:

I've had an i70 since last year and I didn't even realize that it had an ECE test until five minutes ago. HJC only stickers it for its intended location, so the US and Canada get a DOT sticker.

DOT is worthless, but yeah, the i70 is good and ECE-ed. When in doubt, just check UK websites for Good Helmets that are all ECE-ed (by law).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The answer is the Forma Adventure Low boots. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/354713

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

They're even nicer in brown:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have two pairs of them. Love em. So comfortable and also light.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am going to be doing driving lessons at some point. If I have to meet the instructor and his car somewhere, I'll be going to that point on my bike.

Unfortunately, I've seen in the past where if I've worn big boots during driving lessons, sometimes feeling for the pedals/ dexterously manipulating them / or even getting your foot in the toebox where the pedals are, is difficult.

Therefore, I will carry some sort of regular shoes with me to those lessons, so I can drive comfortably (and leave the boots in the car boot).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't buy a combo kit, buy tools as you need them.

This allows you to spread your costs out and get better tools.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm glad you like the Forma Adventure Low boots!

Re jeans, no idea about skinny ones, I am the opposite of a skinny jeans person...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The flipping mechanism; I don't trust it with my face/head/life.

Full face helmet every time.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My XTRActive Transitions lensed Oakley prescription glasses are IMO a great pair of riding glasses/sunglasses for those who need vision correction.

The XTRActive bit of the Transitions lens means they change fast, so you don't experience the "too dark in a tunnel" or "too bright when the sun just came out from behind those clouds" for very long at all.

These are the glasses I refer to: https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Fuller-Glasses-%252d-Satin-Black-%252d-Essilor-Lenses.html

I can use these in any weather condition, sunny or not, day or night and they work perfectly. My helmet has a drop down sunshade which I almost never use.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

How much does cordura stretch/break in? Just got a new pair of knox jeans and the fit is fine but a little tight at the knee when the armour pads are fitted

Send em back, they don't stretch/break in much and you need to be comfortable in your protective jeans from minute 1.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

katka posted:

So I've signed up for my MSF course. I'm super excited for it and to finally get a bike after years of wanting one. The place I'm taking it at requires me to provide my gear though. Not a big deal since I'm gonna to need to buy it sooner or later. To that end I went to a local shop and looked at some stuff and tried it on. I've learned trying to pick out stuff that's actually safe is more difficult then I thought. I plan to be doing my riding in the summer in nice sunny weather. It gets quite hot and humid here (South Carolina) in the summer so I'm trying to find stuff that will be safe and keep me cool.

Two of the things I was looking at was the Icon Airflite helmet and the Icon Contra 2 jacket (the textile one). Any opinion on how good these are?

Icon stuff works fine and is protective. I don't like the style of Icon stuff, a bit flash in my opinion, but protection wise they are fine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you're going to go MIPS, may as well go ECE 22-06 (and there's literally just one helmet that has 22-06 right now, the new Arai Quantic).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Ran them to work this morning and I think I'll keep them, on the bike the tightness is more reassuring, like a well-strapped kneepad, than "oh no blood is pooling in my legs". The kneepads slip out via an external zip too, which makes them even comfier when I'm not riding.

Also first time riding in my new jacket today and it's hella comfy even on a standard, I was a little worried the cut would sit weird on anything but a sportbike but turns out it's fine. Really glad I was able to snag one in my size before they all disappeared.

Nice.

Also, I approve of the Forma Adventure Boots.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just give the exposed bit of chain on my bike (Honda) a squirt or two of lube after every ride. The lube is kept near the bike, and this is low effort, and it's basically death by a thousand cuts (i.e. after a handful of rides, the whole chain should have gotten some fresh lube).

Chain is fine and clean and not rusty, my system works. YMMV!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If it actually is looking dirty, I'll put it on its center stand and I'll clean the whole chain and put fresh lube on the whole chain.

It isn't right now, so I won't.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

At some point later this year, I too will own a poo poo car. Like a proper crap one, it's only use will be as a grocery-fetcher + taking-cats-to-the-vets-er.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 31, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Not having to run wires through your helmet yourself, which is a royal pain in the rear end, at least it is in my HGC IS-17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Heh same. It takes a minute to get to A road speeds, thoroughly taking the piss from all drivers behind you.

Good times!