Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dats a whole lot of words about helmets when you can just say "buy a shoei" :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nitrox posted:

I'm never going to rely on anything that requires adhesion, special phone case, or magnets. The ball mounts are universal, and are available to mount on anything including handlebar itself, handlebar mounting hardware, lever screws, mirror mounts, etc. There are not unique to RAM brand. They have been the most reliable so far, according to off-road folks. In fact, you can build yourself a new folding mirror mount https://www.doubletakemirror.com/

https://youtu.be/9OdChYlKTWQ

In the land of on-road riding, The only phone holder failures I've seen, all were at the detachment point. Make sure whatever you buy has a fail safety mechanism. The rubber band backup may spoil the pristine look of your handlebar landscape, but it will keep that $900 phone attached.

And those asking why you even need a phone on the handlebars? For real?

yea fr, if you can't think of a reason to have your phone on your bars you need to move beyond practicing figure 8s in the cul de sac

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I'm not taking lectures on being a Grizzled Veteran Biker from someone who was target-fixating into street furniture when I was into my third decade of riding, thanks.

boohoo, GPS and being able to see who's calling without answering are good enough reasons to mount your phone. maybe not if you have the multi-tasking ability of a two year old though i guess

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My phone calls out the turns and also tells me who's calling, maybe if you weren't staring at your phone trying to work out where the turn was there'd be a few more intact mailboxes around your way.

i love that you're so butthurt over something that happened once to *me* 6 years ago, nevermind that i've not been down in the street again since

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

moxieman posted:

I think people who want their phones on their handlebars should put them there, and people who want their phones in their pockets should put them there.

Hope this helps.

Personally I don’t want to talk on the phone while riding, or driving, or really ever at all.

one more time for the hard of hearing

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Russian Bear posted:

Feature wise for a new rider, what do yall think about the Nolan n87 vs AGV K1? Some years ago when I took my MSF course, I wore a Nolan helmet (84 maybe?) and it fit REALLY well. That could have changed now of course. Outside of fit, which is the most important, is the slight premium on the N87 worth it?

in that price range you might also look at the Bell SRT. I like their 3 layer eps design in other helmets (I have a Moto-9 Flex).
really you need to figure out (by going to your local cyclegear or something) what head shape you are and then shop around that. It's really hard to tell from 30 seconds of wearing a helmet whether or not its gonna pinch your crown and give you a headache after an hour of riding so trying them on in person is a Best Effort endeavor

when i was looking for my first dirt bike helmet i just bought any old brand (Fly Racing V1) and it was so heavily narrow and angled I had to just about break the lower jaw portion to be able to wear it longer than 30 minutes and even then it would give me headaches on the way to the mountains until it broke in heavily. so try not to do that because it sucks to be out on a ride and realize your head hurts

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is this you

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Greg12 posted:

excuse me?

show me the lie

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

T Zero posted:

Just a general dumb newbie question: Why is so much motorcycle apparel black?

There were only a couple light-colored options for helmets and jackets at the store I went to. I thought visibility was a priority.

visibility from colors is mostly bullshit anyway, people do not magically see you because you're wearing flaming hot pink/neon. only the reflective poo poo makes a difference

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SEKCobra posted:

This is incorrect, fluorescent colors are very much more noticeable than anything else during daylight, retroreflectors only help during nighttime. People will see you "magically", because science has made it possible to give items the ability to "light up" by converting UV light into the visible spectrum.

that is adorable you believe this

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

builds character posted:

I hear you friend and will continue to ride only in the dirt wearing ridiculously colorful, mismatched gear.

in the dirt it's a different story. how else will i claim my horrendous race lap times if NOT in a garish mixup of teal, yellow, orange and blue???

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Big Bizness posted:

I'm a new rider and trying to decide between the Shoei RF-1200 and the Scorpion EXO-R1. The Shoei seems more premium and feature rich but man I love that Scorpion design. (The black and red). Also the Shoei has a Snell rating, the Scorpion doesn't (but cheaper models like the EXO-R420 do?) I found a black Shoei for $398 online but the Philosopher design (which is a similar design to the EXO-R1), is almost $500 which is more then I'm gonna spend on a helmet currently. Can't decide! Thoughts on these two helmets?

i like Shoei.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921645&pagenumber=2#post510930062

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving hell that's brutal - glad you survived and hope you're recovering well.

Do you mind if I use the pic of the inside of your helmet in the OP to illustrate why you don't gently caress around with the EPS?

ya do whatever with it, i thought it was interesting how real world crash dynamics translated into EPS damage so i posted it up

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
these are imo the best looking gloves i think Dainese ever made, annoying that they don't make them or anything similar anymore

i regret not buying them again when cyclegear replaced mine for free after 1 year of hard use and they tore a hole in the palm just pulling them on

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dainese four strokes, i liked em cause they had metal guards rather than plastic/carbon. i have the carbon d1 gauntlets for winter/spirited riding too but it's just too hot for me to stand wearing gauntlets in the summer in GA

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Never go to work without your emotional support rider

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

I had read about it silently dropping messages, which seems pretty far from ideal for a device like that

yup, my dad just cancelled his service and requested a refund because it didn't work or do what it was supposed to after he busted his bike's transmission case somewhere in TN with no cell service

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

builds character posted:

InReach or Spot?

spot

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
personally i never had an issue with my rf1200's transition lens. if it's sunny and i go through a long tunnel or whatever i just flip it up or just leave it closed entirely and deal. it was really nice to not have to care about what lens was currently fitted to the helmet since some days i'd be in the office til night time

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
obligatory reminder that Shoei is top quality and will absolutely save your life (not that others won't but i have empirical proof lol)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, that hit hard, I realized I never checked mine but I looked just now and it's not cracked at all. Guess I can reuse it!

Are you all healed now? I finally got my pins out last week (week 7) and that helped a lot in terms of how everything feels, but now I'm trying to get my thumb up to strength and full range of motion and all that. I'm just glad the nerve damage went away around 6.5 weeks in, that was fairly annoying. Even once the nerve pain went away it felt like the rollers in a Sharper Image massage chair were going up and down my fingers for 24hrs a day. I promise it's not as relaxing as that sounds. Typing with two hands again is amazing since my work recently has involved constant typing or Excel.

These pics are almost a week old and already the scar is looking better than this (grabbed pics just before the pins came out). Turns out getting the pins out isn't even that bad, although not necessarily fun. I can't believe how big they are, I still have no idea how they actually fit into my hand. I should have added something for scale but they're around 3".

man that looks a lot better than i thought it would at this point, stoked for ya. my PT + doc said i can discontinue visits and proceed with caution on my own for continued strength rehab (basically aite dude go lift, you're "fine"). hardware removal is a conversation for next year if at all, there is risk that a sufficiently hard fall can break my wrist/arms along the screw holes but i'm going to see what to do after a full year of mountain biking, dirt biking and snowboarding.

i hope your thumb rehab goes better than mine, the bennett fracture on my left thumb has made certain things more difficult/impossible. for example, lamps with those thin twisting knobs are extremely difficult for me to turn now lol

but yeah my wrists and hands work now so that's good

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Photochromic lenses are also an automatic chemical reaction that reacts to UV. They can't be manually activated or react to quick changes like tunnels, like the scenario being discussed. But my photochromic worked fine for my RF1200. I'm pissed they changed the visor mechanism for the RF1400, so I'd have to pay $200 to get a new one upgrading to the 1400. It's honestly one of the things that made me look into a cheaper lid with a manual sun visor.

my problem with my old neotec that had an internal sun visor was that it makes the helmet huge on top of what is already a giant head (i wear XL), the rf1200 with photochrom lens had less of bobblehead factor

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyone who went from an RF1200 to an RF1400 able to corroborate? I read a rando review that said the shape has changed a bit, tighter/more angled in the cheeks?

i'm about ready to get another street helmet but i might just look for another rf1200 instead since the transition visors are still easily available

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i used to make costco runs with a duffel bag on my back when i didnt have a car for a year and only had the drz

still better than a dorkcrate

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm pretty sad, I bought an RF-1400 and realized that the Shoeis never really fit my head shape. The RF-1200 fit fine enough because the bottom of the helmet was open enough that I didn't get crown pinching because my jaw would just rest lower in the helmet. I wore the 1400 for 30 minutes and got pretty bad pinching so I've ordered an Arai Quantum-X (round oval) instead.

I'm hoping it fits a lot better but even if it does man-- the helmet is more expensive, looks stupid and has really dumb rear end "features" like the side pods on the visor joints. Also no transition visor. Also the mirrored visors look cheap and garbage. For a 700$ helmet. ALSO the way the visor lifts is loving stupid, why the gently caress would I ever want a LATCH that I have to activate to lift the visor???? Wore Shoeis for 7 years so far and never had a problem with their detented visors moving when cracked or 75% of the way up even up to like 85 mph on a naked.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I've been thinking about getting a tech air jacket for my next leather jacket but drat a* gear turns you into a walking billboard

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
hope they don't fall off in a slide and turn your dick into a stump

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i like the f9 channel in general, but his product reccs are not anything to think of as a bible. in particular i watched his airbag video recently and the one he has the least problem with is the helite airbag vest.

his chief complaint about the tech-air, d-air etc electronic systems is that "you might forget to charge it one time". but in my most recent accident, the helite bag wouldnt have even activated unless i tethered it in some weird rear end spot on the rear of the bike. atleast an electronic system would likely have been able to try and activate before my face smashed through the driver glass

i'll probably look to get an airbag leather jacket sometime next year since if it could have spared me the 2 months straight of wearing a hard neck brace it would have been worth it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Quantum-X is really nice if you're a round oval bighead. It is an inferior helmet to any helmet Shoei makes, but until the day Shoei decides to start making other shell shapes (lol) such is life.

After years of making do with an RF-1200 it's nice to have found a helmet that fits perfectly rather than "mitigated suffering".

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
from what i could tell, the shells are a little different but they are all variations of "intermediate oval" and the current evolution of that in the RF-1400 is now too severe for my head where the 1200 was fine and I could last all day riding in it even though it wasn't quite right.

the more acute angle towards the jaw line of the bottom front of the 1400 is the problem for me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the only good thing about arai is that they offer multiple shell shape types. the helmets are pretty poorly designed. shoei is a superior helmet in every way but the RF1400s dont fit me anymore RIP

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Crash report: klim jackets are junk. Dad wrecked at speed and has so much road rash it looks like he wasn't even wearing one.

Pure garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I like my moto-9 flex. it's also nice that the forehead area under the visor has enough space that I can lift my goggles and mount them there instead of the chin so if i want them on i can just pull them down with one hand
https://www.bellhelmets.com/motorcycle/p/moto-9-flex-dirt-bike-helmet/250040000100000001.html