Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I know quite a few kinksters who can sleep in their leathers (mostly dainese) just fine. But i can't imagine how someone could fall asleep with such restricted movement, forced into a specific position by the tight - oh. Oh i get it.

In all seriousness, i see no reason to wear your leathers to bed to break them in. Way too uncomfortable. Imho the best way is to spray them with a plant sprayer to get them slightly damp, put them on, and ride until dry. Second best way is to wear them around the house. Most people are stuck home or working from home anyway.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hey guys just laying on the couch watching TV in a dianese leather jacket to try and break it in for when I get a bike once it warms up.

Just chillin'

(actually waiting for a biker friend to show up)

Can i just say how amazingly good Revit leathers are?! I have worn this suit for 3 years now, and although the print sucks, the rest of the leather looks as if i just bought it. No wear marks at all.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Russian Bear posted:

Which revit suit is it?

Regarding suits, watching some revzilla reviews, the presenters mentioned that it's more common in europe to wear a 1 piece for every day riding. Does this generalization have anything in it? Is it more just a use case thing? For instance if you think most of your rides are going to be point a to point a rides, a 1 piece is more practical while offering most protection?

Sorry for being bloody late with replying.

All in all i think about 50% wear leather and 50% wear textile. Commuters wear predominantly textile, but you can commute in leather just fine.

My suit is a Revit Venom. Got it for just €350 as a sales/photography sample, essentially unused with warranty. They were between 700 and 800, normally.
The price, looks and safety are why i got this one. For €350 i could barely get anything else, except for the absolute cheapest textile suits which are not as safe and absolutely not as pretty as the Venom.

Things vary a lot per country. In Italy, people don't often wear gear. In the Netherlands, only on hot summer days you sometimes see people wearing nothing more than some gloves.
I have no idea what people in the USA wear so i can't answer that question...

1 piece leathers are not the best from a practicality point of view. They are the best from a durability and safety point of view, but they have some downsides.
As with all leathers, they don't offer thermal isolation, so if it's cold you have to put on a sweater underneath which can be annoyingly tight.
At the same time, if you have an unperforated suit, above about 25 deg C things will get really hot really quick. The Venom is lightly perforated, and i ride until 30 degrees or so. Black leather is pretty but oh so hot in summer. I have a mesh jacket with protection for those really hot days - i combine it with the pants from one of my 2 piece leathers.

Two piece are more practical, because if you go hang out with friends or something, you can just put on a T-shirt under the suit, zip off the jacket, and then you're ready to go. I've only had positive comments walking around in leather biker pants.
With a 1 piece, you either have to change into street clothes, or you'd have to fit some trackies under the leathers which can be too hot in summer and will be annoyingly tight anyway. If it's a 30 degree day, you cannot walk around in a 1 piece suit while you would survive wearing the bottom part of a 2 piece just fine. Srsly - i hop into Amsterdam quite often in summer, and i had to strip off the top half of my one piece and somehow tie it to my waist to avoid heatstroke. I've learned to just take one of my ratty old 2pc suits and chain the jacket to the bike with my bike lock (very important, it will get stolen otherwise!)

Commuters are another subgroup. If you live in a place where it occasionally rains or gets cold, textile is great. It is also less tight, so if you care about dress shirts not creasing, it's also a better option. But except for the expensive new options from A* and Dainese, they look quite dorky.
Can't blame the textile riders for choosing that, though. They may look dorky but good lord do i wish for their suits when i'm freezing already at 10 deg C on the highway...

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 12, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Russian Bear posted:

I live in a really hot and dry place fwiw.
If it's often above 25 deg C, you pretty much have 2 options:
- Heavily perforated light colored leathers.
- Textile suit with a lot of mesh panels. The Tornado looks excellent and i wish i had it cause my mesh jacket is too small.

Don't get MX gear. While it's by far the best ventilated stuff out there, it has no abrasion resistance.

If you're just starting to ride, you could also just get any random suit to get used to the experience, and to scuff up when you're practicing the figure 8 and such. I don't know about the used market where you live, but my first leather suit was €50, got another one for free, and yet another one i found for 15 euro at a thrift shop. Old, heavily used stuff of course, but fine to use for a few months while you decide what you want.
I like taking people for rides so aside from my Venom, i have a few other suits in different sizes.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I've read some studies about retroreflective stuff and bikers, and the conclusion was that A. yes, you are seen sooner but B. only if someone was already actively looking.

Those who don't see you without, will not see you with.

My suit doesn't have reflective stuff on it, but if i ride in darkness or extreme weather (neither of which i do very often) i just put on a little cheapo vest.

So far i haven't found out if for bikers, it also actually reduces the number of accidents, but hey - there's no reason to not stash a reflective vest under your seat for those gloomy/dark rides.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I love those Handroids with that ratcheting twisty knob. I don't need it but KRRK KRRK KRRK YEAH I'M A COOL BIKER!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Put it on kickstand. Grab it by the pillion hand rail. Pull it towards kickstand so the wheel lifts off the ground. Use right leg to kick/roll the wheel while it's lifted.
Takes a bit of practice (also, don't pull your bike over) but it works very well. Especially if you can put the front and kickstand on some pavement, but the rear on gras/dirt, so you don't even have to lift it all the way to spin it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Preparing for summer. Just bought a mesh jacket for those >25 degree sunny days! I used to have a way too small one but it is so worth it, not getting heatstroke when you're slowly rolling through a town, drenching my leathers with sweat.

I'm now looking for nice and cool pants that match it nicely. Sadly rev'it didn't make it into a 2 piece suit.
If anyone has suggestions for some well vented pants, let me know!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I always wear lycra underneath no matter what. That seems to prevent stink. After 4 years of riding and sweating in my 'good' leather Rev'it suit i can tell it smells like me, but it's definitely not rank/ripe/nasty. Somehow it doesn't pick up much smell.
Neither do my boots. Sidi claims they have some kind of silver treatment and it seems to work well, because while my army boots smell like a dank cellar after a day of walking in them, my riding boots smell oddly fresh. Pure magic.

But in my experience, if you do have trouble with it, it doesn't do much harm to rinse out a leather suit once a year or so. I've done that with my second hand suits, and it didn't seem to harm them as long as you dry them quickly and completely (so do it on a dry warm day).
If you feel the need to do it more often, then get them to a professional cleaner, because allegedly soaking leather multiple times a year is not a great plan for longevity.

I also do my gloves. The nastiness that resides in them after a year of riding is best not seen, but i'd rather confront it and get rid of it lol.

Side note: the temperatures you show mean that riding in leather is close to impossible. On the highway at a continuous high speed, you'll be uncomfortable but fine.
However, as soon as you crawl through a city with a hot engine between your legs, things genuinely start getting dangerous. You need abrasion resistant mesh clothes for that (and those can just be machine washed on delicate/synthetics)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I think everyone has a different tolerance for heat. For me, in my half perforated leathers, above 32 deg C things start to get dangerous.
I can cycle just fine in 35 degree weather, but for riding bikes in such temperatures, i really need something light colored and much better vented. So i bought a white mesh jacket :)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sooo i just got some Dane mesh pants, and holy gently caress. They came with a zipper you can sew onto a jacket without, or with a non-matching zipper!
I think it's so nice of Dane to ship the pants in such a way that you can even use them with a different brand of gear.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Rev'it is dutch. So their stuff is designed by guys who are tall and have chunky legs from cycling a lot.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gorson posted:

Need a leather daddy in here to confirm or dispute these claims.

Honestly, all biker stuff on the market that has the EU test markings, is properly protective. Dainese has particularly supple leather. Like, i was amazed when i tried on one of their suits. You get some extra range of motion.

My Rev'it Venom, on the other hand, is made from quite stiff leather. It makes the suit slightly less comfortable. Even after 4 years of riding, it still feels noticably less comfortable than some other suits i have or had. My Kushitani Shunrai suit was ridiculously comfortable, that thing really felt like those sweatpants you only wear inside your own house cause they're worn out and ugly but they're just too comfy to throw out.

But although the Rev'it feels thicker and stiffer, i have zero doubt that Dainese's slightly thinner and more flexible leather, is every bit as protective as Rev'its stuff. It's not that hard to make leather be properly protective. One of the big motorcycle youtubers got one of those Pakistan made Ebay suits professionally tested, and it passed the abrasion tests with ease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5bMHOS25Mk
The impact protection bits and the pockets that keep them in place sucked, but the leather was well up to spec.

If you crash hard enough to damage the suit, then you should get it to a repair place anyway.

Side note: next time you walk into a biker gear store, walk past a rack of Dainese. They're sprayed with a specific perfume. I swear it's to trigger a pavlovian reaction in bikers/leather daddies, and make them drool over the way too expensive but very pretty suits.

E: drat, that snipe...

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 23, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yes and no. The CE stamp is sketchy - it means that a manufacturer or importer themselves say 'This thing adheres to euro norms' rather than an external organisation doing the tests. Any lovely factory can slap those on their product and only a small part will ever get caught doing it.

There are now new, more specific test norms for motorcycle garments. The overarching rule is that they are now considered PPE just like welding goggles and therefore have to be guaranteed to be safe for the purpose.

The system that's used for the past few years for new garments, is pretty simple. On one of the tags there's a motorcycle symbol with a letter (AAA to class C) and the appropriate test norm number below it. In general, that would be EN17092. The letters AAA/AA/A all cover both abrasion and impact resistance. B only covers abrasion. C only covers impact.

More info: https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/new-testing-standards/

Details about how the tests are done, are here: https://www.satra.com/ppe/EN17092.php - they test how protective the protectors are against impact, the abrasion resistance of the fabric or leather, the strength of seams, whether the sleeves are gonna stay in place (so they don't expose your arms when you crash), and for 2 piece suits, if the 2 pieces are connected together strongly enough.

On helmets, there is also usually a ECE something:something sticker stuck on them.

It's all a fairly recent development. People who don't live in the EU, could of course still benefit from these tests cause you can check with an EU webshop to which standard your gear of choice has been tested.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pinlock is absolutely the best invention ever. Even when it's raining you can leave your visor closed, and you'll see a slight puff of mist when you breathe out - but 9 out of 10 times it will indeed disappear right away.

I will never EVER have a helmet anymore without pinlock.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I've been riding more and more in my textile jacket and it's just soooo nice to be actually warm, when it's 8 degrees and drizzling outside. It definitely makes year round riding so much more fun, than when i was trying to stay warm by wearing a thick woolen sweater under my racing suit.

I'm absolutely looking forward to the warmer seasons because i miss the stretchyness and form fitting shape of leathers but drat, i've never enjoyed autumn riding liek this before.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

moxieman posted:

What jacket, and what’re you using for neck protection? I’m growing unsatisfied with my thick-sweater-under-leather as well.

The jacket is a Rusty Stitches "Romeo".
I wear a turtleneck sweater under it, which works quite well together with a balaclava that extends down to my shoulders.

The sleeves are kinda narrow, which is good for my match stick arms (quite often the sleeves are too big for me) but if you have anything that remotely hints at being muscular, it's not gonna fit for you.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have one LS2 helmet (cost 99 euro) i bought for my ex half a decade ago.
Quality feels just okay. Bit plasticky. It doesn't hide the fact that you're surrounding your head with a shell of styrofoam and plastic very well. It was good enough for the occasional time i took my ex on a ride.
They're safe enough to pass EU regulations.

My own 220 euro HJC is a lot better. I have no idea how good the more expensive LS2's are.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have Sidi Vertigo 1 boots.
They are pretty decent to walk in for up to 45 minutes or so. I have no trouble at all walking around a city centre i rode to, to take pictures and such.
I don't think they're in production anymore, but there is a new Vertigo version.

If you want something better for walking, i think you'll end up at sneaker like motorcycle shoes. There are shoes available that go over the ankle. but don't reach all the way to your shins.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's bloody hot today. 96 degrees in the shade... Real hot! Oohnono... in the shaaaaade.
Or 35 C of course, but there's no song about that.

Last year i decided to buy some dedicated hot weather gear so i would never be stuck at home, not able to ride because it's too warm to wear a black leather suit. Today is the first day i really felt the need to take it out, and i might as well write a small review about it.

I went for a ride to grab some camping supplies and a new shaver. I rode to the shops via the amsterdam ring road (which was stunningly hot - combination of hot asphalt and hot car AC exhaust), and then rode home via the usually bicycle laden roads in the countryside. But because of the heat (it must be over 40 in the burning sun) no one was cycling. So that was lovely, because i had all corners all to myself, not having to alter my line mid corner to pass a cyclist.

I managed to ride around for 2,5 hours in this combination. My body didn't feel too hot at all. It's a Rev'it Quantum Air jacket, almost completely made out of mesh. It's CE rated, level A, with space for a back protector (which i wasn't wearing because i gained weight from switching from being a mailman who walked and cycled 4 hours per day, to being a mostly sitting or standing laboratory worker).
The trousers are Dane Fano Edition, also with a lot of mesh, also CE level A.

I love the way the jacket looks. It fits nice and slim, and it offers plenty of ventilation though not the 'pointing a fan at yourself' i sorta expected. Perhaps my lycra underwear is too densely woven for that feeling. The jacket feels sturdy and safe, though without the back protector in place, my back really does feel completely unprotected against any impact. I'm working on losing weight so i can put the back protector back where it belongs. Two months ago, the trousers didn't even fit, but after 2 months of intense cardio they fit again.
That said, the trousers are really quite stupidly tight in the waist, while the trouser legs are just fine. My legs are BIG and have no problems fitting, but the waist seems designed for some skinny twink?!
I'm not even fat or anything. 1,80m and 75kg. Pretty drat average i'd say.

Standing up on the pegs is GLORIOUS. The mesh in the crotch area of the trousers works so well. Instant cooling effect of the parts that need cooling so badly in this weather. When sitting on the seat, it doesn't catch much wind at all so it's fine, but not brilliant. But what can you expect, all wind is blocked by the tank.

It's a bit annoying that the trousers are a bit more cream colored than the jacket. I couldn't find any (affordable) white motorcycle trousers. But Rev'it doesn't offer white mesh trousers to go with the jacket, they advertise it with motorcycle jeans which i don't have or want.
Probably because they know the white won't stay white for too long.

Both jacket and trousers offer a lot of freedom of movement despite being *almost* too small because of the weight i gained in the last year. It's especially noticeable to me, because i'm used to wearing one piece race leathers all the time which are a lot more restrictive.

I felt limited by my helmet temperature in riding around any longer, not limited by the trousers and jacket. My helmet is a black HJC IS-17 and it doesn't offer much ventilation despite the two vents it has. Eventually, when i started feeling a bit less attentive, i chose to go the quick way home rather than taking the scenic route.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 19, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Literally within 5 minutes of getting out of the store with the mesh jacket, it had its first oil stain. Not kidding.
Apparently a tiny bit of oil got flung off my chain or whatever and when i put the jacket under my luggage net, it happened.

I got most of it out by gently scrubbing with tooth paste. Tooth paste works surprisingly well for many cleaning jobs, as long as it's something you can wipe clean with plenty of water.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I use those standard thin lycra things. Feels good when wearing leathers, allows some ventilation in summer, prevents my suit from getting overly musky.

Are you looking for staying warm, or for staying cool?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Firstly i agree, go for lithium. If you charge it in january, you'll still have almost all of your charge next january.

There are two caveats:
- if your battery is *severely* flat, the lithium jump pack won't recognize it and refuse to deliver power. Smart electronics can be frustrating.
- You want to store the jump pack fully charged because you need it to be full when you need to use it. But storing lithium cells at 100% charge reduces their life span. Think 4 years instead of 8 years when stored at 50% charge. YMMV, those jump packs haven't been on the mass market for too long, so i don't know anyone who has had one for more than a few years. Perhaps we'll find out in another 5 years that they survive just fine.

The lead acid jump pack has a lot more self discharge, so you need to keep the jump pack charged at home. In which case you might as well pull the starter battery, and take that one home instead.

But how come you need a jump pack?
If you predictably aren't riding for more than a month on end, you're better off taking the battery out and keeping it float charged at home.

Those little 'oh poo poo, i gotta use my jump starter' moments are pretty harmful to the starter battery. Discovering every winter you need a jump pack is not great.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Perhaps you're tightening up the straps too much? If you put pressure on your wrist (where usually the velcro straps are) you can put pressure on a nerve i guess.
I recognize the symtoms and i can almost always fix them by loosening the straps a bit.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Be aware that ozone in concentrations that you can 'conciously' smell, is toxic. It oxydises everything it touches, which makes it really effective against smells - but it is also one of the main culprits of damaging/dry rotting rubber (just in normal atmospheric conditions).

If you use an ozone generator somewhere, make sure the ozone can't leak into inhabited spaces, and if you use it in a car air it out very well before driving.

It really does work - but you gotta use it with care, just like you take care not to breathe too much gasoline vapor and have ignition sources nearby when you're loving around with your motorcycle.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Leather's pretty sturdy. It can handle a bit of water. If washing it breaks it, it deserved to be broken in the first place. Because the gloves need to be safe, especially when you get hit by a sudden rain storm, gloves thoroughly soaked, when the risk of crashing gets higher.

The main thing is to not dry them with added heat. Rig something up so you can let a fan blow cold air into the gloves.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

From the helmet's manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1723380/Nolan-N87-Plus.html?page=19#manual)
It continues for a bit after the quote.

I wash mine with normal, dilute, perfume free laundry detergent. Soak it for a few minutes, squeeze out, rub together, squeeze out, then rinse until all traces of soap are gone. Don't put it into a washing machine.

quote:

REMOVABLE INNER COMFORT PADDING
The removable comfort padding consists of:
-
a liner
-
side cheek pads (right and left)
All components can be completely removed and washed.
The cheek pads are also characterised by removable inner expanding foam padding.
To remove the inner comfort padding, lift the VPS, open the visor completely and
remove the chin guard from the helmet (see instructions above).
CHEEK PADS DISASSEMBLY
7.1 Open the chin strap (see relevant instructions).
7.2 Gently pull the red strap in the front area of the left cheek pad to release the
safety lever placed on the back (Fig.9).
7.3 Grasp the front part of the left cheek pad and turn it upwards to unhook the front
hook and the upper snap fastener, placed on the back (Fig.10).
7.4 Pull the back of the left cheek pad towards the inside of the helmet to release the
rear snap fastener placed on the back (Fig.11).
7.5 Remove the rear flap of the comfort padding of the left cheek pad from the cavity
between the rear seal and the inner polystyrene shell; then completely remove
the cheek padding from the helmet (Fig.12).
7.6 Repeat the same process with the right cheek padding.
N.B.: Do not remove the polystyrene cheek pads from the helmet shell.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah just put it in the sink with some laundry soap and squish it around. You'll be astonished how much brown gunk comes out.

This. Prepare to be disgusted. When i did it for the first time, it surprised me that the cheek pads didn't really smell too bad. Modern silver based anti bacterial stuff really works.

I'm gonna just stress again to use the detergent at the proper dilution. It's like one or two tablespoons of detergent per full sink at most, look at the packaging for instructions. It's very easy to put way too much into the sink, and that makes it really hard to completely get rid of the soap.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You're correct. Silver is an extremely effective antiseptic, and the sewage treatment plant relies on bacteria to purify the water.
I process my own analog photography stuff and i gotta make sure to not accidentally throw the fixer down the drain. It's not particularly toxic to humans or animals, but the dissolved silver from the film murders all the useful bacteria in the sewage plant.

If you wear a balaclava and wash the liner a couple of times a year, it won't really stink much anyway.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There's a small wasp corpse wedged into my gopro mount on my old helmet.
A good reminder to ALWAYS close your visor.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I bought a new Dainese suit a short while ago, because my Rev'it has always been just a bit too tight, and simply because i wanna be a dainese spaceboy. But that left me with black and white gloves that didn't really match the black and fluorescent red of the suit. I like the gloves so i didn't wanna spend a wad of money on new gloves.

So i went ahead, bought Angelus leather paint in the colors Neon flaming orange and chili red. Mixed them in the proportion 2:1, and ended up with an almost perfect color match. With a tiny pointy brush i started meticulously painting the white parts of the Rev'it gloves. This is the work in progress - 2 coats of paint in this picture.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Nitrox posted:

Hopefully it lasts. What a great idea!

I expect it to last a couple of years. The silkscreen on my Rev'it suit started cracking fairly early, i expect the paint to do exactly the same. But i can just re-paint it, if it cracks.

Supradog posted:

COSPLAY FOR DADS. oh, im not it the cruiser tread. IF COLOUR MATCHING MAKES YOU WEAR ACTUAL SECURE GEAR loving AWESOME.

gently caress yeah. I'm way overdressed for the type of riding i do but i swear, this stuff is so drat comfortable. Whenever it gets cold again and i have to wear my textile suit, i'm like 'Aww'.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah... No. I would not trust those gloves and that jacket. Everything that's pretty much direct china import, is potentially made on the fashion factory line with cheap yarn that will disintegrate the second you hit the pavement - rather than with extra strong yarn that will not break if there's a ripping force on the jacket. That's one of the things that gets tested in the CE rating tests.

CE rated jackets don't have to be expensive. I bought my standard boring black fabric jacket and trousers for a total of about 250 euro, at a brick and mortar biker gear shop in my area (https://www.bikeroutfit.nl - they ship abroad, though potentially shipping to the USA is not worth it and idk if they wanna go through the customs hassle of shipping things outside the EU)
Didn't check the trousers, but the made in pakistan jacket is AA rated - the whole jacket, not just 'CE rated impact protection'. I have reasonable confidence in the shop not accepting garments with fake CE markings. The CE approval tests are "only" 5000 euro so that's very little money for a big import agency.

With regards to looks - in my opinion, there is way too much drab, grey or black biker gear out there. After riding with a black helmet and a black Rev'it one piece (my first proper suit, also bought at Bikeroutfit.nl, for 350 euro on clearance) for a couple of years i decided to go balls out and get a proper Power Rangers suit. If it were up to me, more road riding gear would have the color schemes and outrageous designs of motocross gear.

gently caress yeah. Strike a pose. Be the 1980s TV show space force character you've always wanted to be. I have a matching Shoei helmet by now, no black helmet anymore. It's still a lot of black but i couldn't be bothered to spend double the money for a similar but flashier suit. After all, i'm quite the stereotype of a frugal dutch man.

750 euro. Worth every cent. It's dogshit to walk around in if you're going to get a couple of groceries but it's SO loving COMFORTABLE on a bike. It's form fitting so it doesn't flap about or bunch up, while at the same time offering complete freedom of motion as if you're wearing nothing at all.

There's a big mismatch between my riding style (i live on man made land with 90% of roads being perfectly straight) and the suit i'm wearing but idgaf. I feel ~fabulous~ and i am safe. I just need some new boots because these Sidis were already second hand when i bought them.

That said, there is no point in starting out with such things. I started out with 2nd hand gear except for my helmet and gloves. Piecing a safe outfit together on the minimum wage job i had when i first started my riding lessons. You *WILL* fall a couple of times when you start to learn a bike or going through bike lessons and it would be utterly stupid to wear an expensive suit to your lessons, only to end up with it scuffed from a stupid low speed drop. It wasn't until i rode for about a year that i happened to come across the cheap 350 euro rev'it suit.

Second hand gear is a good option if you're really price concious. I bought a 50 euro two piece leather suit for doing my riding lessons, and it was completely fine for that use. My boots have always been either 2nd hand army boots, or 2nd hand biker boots.
If you're worried about hygiene, you can clean practically everything that's not a helmet shell or gloves. Even leather suits, and especially fabric stuff is easy to just rinse out if you take out the protectors first.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 18, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Suzaki Monster 650

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I use tooth paste for spot cleaning which works quite well. No idea if it's useful to get a sponge and scrub it with tooth paste to get it whiter again.

Try it out on a small patch. If it works, you can do the whole thing. But keep in mind it's a chore to rinse out all the last bits of toothpaste foam.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

White gear is absolutely lovely when the sun is beating down on you. I have a white Rev'it mesh jacket too and it allows me to ride around at 35 degree weather for multiple hours without dieing - as long as i don't stop.
But just accept the fact that white fabric will never remain white for very long. White leathers can be cleaned fairly well, but even those will eventually end up with grime that won't come off.

Rev'it stupidly doesn't have matching white mesh trousers for their white/fluo yellow/black jackets, so i just got some Dane that's vaguely beige. Idgaf, it just has to let air through and be safe. For being pretty i already have that whole matching Dainese set.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 7, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I got a full Dainese spaceboy outfit in black with fluorescent red. Loud colors, quiet bikes. Always fun to see the looks on people's faces when you grab something at the shops. Though way overkill for street riding, the one piece i got is also just incredibly comfortable.

But i kept my black and white gloves that were part of my previous outfit because those gloves are still very good.

All those white parts on the gloves started to annoy me after a couple months, so i painted those the same shade of red as the suit. Also got new boots because the Sidis i had before were starting to get really worn out. Sole was coming loose and was almost worn through from walking in them. And then i also decided to get a new helmet, because black helmets are kinda boring and the old one was getting slightly too big anyway.

I painted the white parts of the gloves in the exact same shade as the Dainese suit. Worked well. I used Angelus leather paint for that. It holds well both in dry and wet weather, except for parts on the fingertips that continuously rub agianst the finger next to it. I posted pics of that process a couple months back. If you only have a couple of accents to modify, painting is definitely a realistic option.

One really nice thing is that everything red is now fluorescent. Interestingly enough, the red parts of the suit even fluoresce in completely monochromatic sodium light. Definitely makes you stand out more than just black everything.

Both my bikes are black so there's not a whole lot of matching-related issues there. The Yamaha might turn white with flashy decals though, because white plastic 90s sportbikes rock. Got a decal cutter at work, might as well use it!

If you really try to match your outfit with a bike, do take a moment and consider how long you'll be keeping either.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I've used wax ear plugs a long time back. The big downside is that they aren't permeable to air, so it feels like there's always either some pressure or some vacuum on your ears.
They work very well, but i cannot stand the pressure differential sensation.