Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Xerophyte posted:

I had a really hard time with Tyranny until I started playing mage and decided to stop trying to play Evil Lawyer and instead play Heroic Protagonist. The game worked better if I played as a good person in a bad world, trying to beat the odds. Not what I expected from the marketing, but sure.

Anyhow:
- Because I really like that portrait.

Diplomat - Because no one has ever regretted being good at talking in an Obsidian game

Unarmed Attacks & Shortbow - Mainly because they give Subterfuge skill and bows are useful early on.

- Because 💗.

Names are hard, but I'm going with Cleopatra Jones.

Looking forward to seeing how on earth you vote your way through The Conquest in a timely manner, since it's surprisingly reactive...

I like this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Xerophyte posted:

I had a really hard time with Tyranny until I started playing mage and decided to stop trying to play Evil Lawyer and instead play Heroic Protagonist. The game worked better if I played as a good person in a bad world, trying to beat the odds. Not what I expected from the marketing, but sure.

Anyhow:

Diplomat - Because no one has ever regretted being good at talking in an Obsidian game

Unarmed Attacks & Shortbow - Mainly because they give Subterfuge skill and bows are useful early on.

- Because 💗.

Looking forward to seeing how on earth you vote your way through The Conquest in a timely manner, since it's surprisingly reactive...

I'll vote for this one

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow:

- Because 💗.

this one's good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zengetsu posted:

Honestly, Kyros' law is more or less covered in the intro and it amounts to "Don't make Mom/Dad miss their show or so god you're all going to regret it."

That's not nearly as fun, though. And it massively reduces the options.

If there really is a Big Book Of Laws (that, of course, can be loopholed, because smart evil overlords always prepare outs) then you've got room for a real difference in behavior between the true believers and the ones who came in for power.

On the one end, you have Judge Dredd, applying the laws without fear or favor, the law as an irresistible force. For good and ill, the machine grinds on without concern for what gets caught in the gears, avenging the innocent here, destroying the helpless there. Something that, even when it's "good", is still terrifying and inhuman.

On the other end, you get the hustler, someone who might be only trying to get personal advantage, but also someone who can be negotiated with. Sure, he might be cutting out your eye because it's funny, but someone who does that might be convinced it's not funny enough to be worth getting blood all over a nice new shirt. There's an interesting moral conflict there over which is the greater evil.

If the law is completely arbitrary, then there's no real breathing room between the two, which ruins a lot of the fun conflicts you can have with both options still being, as the game's marketing promised, the bad guys.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow:

- Because 💗.

I'll vote this.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Muscular Dude
Middle of the third row from the top. The helmet wearer.
Guild Apprentice
Unarmed and Mace
The highlighted strange calipers, forth row, third from the left

Jean-Luc

The calipers (and the promised misunderstandings of historical tyranny) inspired me to create measurehead from disco elysium.

I’ll vote for this one

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

If there really is a Big Book Of Laws (that, of course, can be loopholed, because smart evil overlords always prepare outs) then you've got room for a real difference in behavior between the true believers and the ones who came in for power.

On the one end, you have Judge Dredd, applying the laws without fear or favor, the law as an irresistible force. For good and ill, the machine grinds on without concern for what gets caught in the gears, avenging the innocent here, destroying the helpless there. Something that, even when it's "good", is still terrifying and inhuman.

On the other end, you get the hustler, someone who might be only trying to get personal advantage, but also someone who can be negotiated with. Sure, he might be cutting out your eye because it's funny, but someone who does that might be convinced it's not funny enough to be worth getting blood all over a nice new shirt. There's an interesting moral conflict there over which is the greater evil.

If the law is completely arbitrary, then there's no real breathing room between the two, which ruins a lot of the fun conflicts you can have with both options still being, as the game's marketing promised, the bad guys.

It's hard to discuss this too much yet without potentially risking spoilers, but I will say that Kyros' law isn't arbitrary when you remember that law is not morality despite what people may hope it to be and take the time to think about what the framework of the law is attempting to accomplish.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow:

- Because 💗.

Works.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

wiegieman posted:

Hell yeah, Tyranny is the second-most underappreciated game Obsidian has done.

Alpha Protocol being the most underappreciated, I assume?

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow:

- Because 💗.

I also like this one.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Alpha Protocol being the most underappreciated, I assume?

:hai:

And as for Kyros's Law, remember that we answer to a literal Archon of Justice (as defined by Kyros's Law). We can't just make stuff up, but we might be able to follow intent rather than letter of the laws.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow:

- Because 💗.

Rather like this one

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The voting is closed, and Cleopatra Jones is getting sent into this strange and unknown world of evil and magic.

We start the conquest tonight!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xarn posted:

:hai:

And as for Kyros's Law, remember that we answer to a literal Archon of Justice (as defined by Kyros's Law). We can't just make stuff up, but we might be able to follow intent rather than letter of the laws.

Other way around is funnier.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cleopatra Jones and the Conquest of the Tiers

Per goon vote Cleopatra here is going to be enforcing the evil laws of Kyros.

Cleo's stat array is a little unconventional. The game runs off what look vaguely like the Pillars of Eternity stats, but the Tyranny developers apparently thought Might increasing your spell damage was too confusing, so now ability and physical damage runs off might and spell damage runs off Qits. We are building Cleopatra to be a mage, so we dump Might and put the extra into Wits. However, we want to max Finesse because that increases accuracy on everything (and gives us more critical hits) as well as the protection we receive from armor. Most guides for the game's highest difficulty level tell you to max Finesse first, so we will do that and then stack up Wits as the game goes on. Remember, we still don't know any spells, and we won't until we either choose to pick up the Conquest sigil OR buy the ice sigil five minutes into the game. I hope you didn't learn ice magic in character creation, otherwise you're the big sucker!

For this reason, we are of course dumping all our stat points into Lore, because Lore is kind of the god skill in this game, especially for mages. Lore directly affects how much stuff you can stack into a spell, which I will explain more as we get there. A high Lore also lets you do things in dialogue. We want high Athletics, Subterfuge, and Lore, but mostly Lore because it's going to turn us into a crazy wizard powerhouse. We're only four off from the starting cap!

We are of course doing Conquest mode, because it's one of the things everyone remembers about this game's character creation. It's really cool!

The narrator for these opening segments is a character we have yet to meet, hence her referring to the Tiers as "our home".

Strength through unity is going to be a fairly major theme in this game - as well as how evil destroys itself through infighting - and it's handled in a way that makes sense rather than quantum transdimensional cats asking you if you want to ride the trolley.

So, Conquest mode! There is actually a LOT here and many of your decisions get recognized by the various characters who will react quite differently to the Fatebinder who negotiated a peace treaty and showed mercy vs the character who made everyone join the Scarlet Chorus, and we could end up with a bunch of different things.

That said, I'm going to take away most of the hard choices and turn it into Red vs Blue. If you live in America you're used to it by now. There are a few choices I will have the thread vote on.

This is a three year campaign of conquest where you either fight on the front line, administer from behind the lines, or do a mixture of the two. The developers are on record as wanting to implicate the player in the conquest, and it works very, very well.

Anyway, first vote:

We have to capture the Bastard City as it's our entrypoint to the Tiers.

We have three plans. Siding with the Disfavored gives us the Warrior's Respite ability, which halves our DPS and lets us regenerate health. Burning the city with the Scarlet Chorus has them teach us Fire Magic, which we otherwise can't get until Act 2. Fire spells do damage over time, but have the undocumented feature where people hit by them start panicking and start flailing around while on fire. It's basically a stun+dot combo, which is very, very good, and can be upgraded further later for more evil power. Lastly, we can take the Kyros option and lead a mixed force over the wall. This gives us the Concealing Shadows ability.

It's basically a get out of jail free card for a few seconds. Note that you can only get Warrior's Respite or Concealing Shadows from Conquest mode. Personally I always take the fire spells, but I can handle whatever you throw at me.

The other two choices are where we want to go. We have two options in Year 2.

The game offers us a few descriptions.

Apex: The troops of the mountain realm of Apex stood idle in the safety of their valley, biding their time as their neighbors in the Bastard Tier fell. In the second year of war, a joint force of the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus crossed over the mountains to take control of the Tiers' central valley.

Lethean's Crossing: Deposits of iron made the settlement of Lethean's Crossing a strategic war asset. Kyros sent the Forge-bound, smith-mages of exceptional skill, to establish a flow of weaponry. Tunon the Adjudicator sent one of his Fatebinders to ensure the enforcement of Kyros' law.

We then need to pick one of three places for year three:

Stalwart: With its easily defended position and rich military tradition, the realm of Stalwart was the most formidable realm in the Tiers.

Vellum Citadel: Kyros' conquering glance fell on the Vellum Citadel - its treasures, its knowledge, its secrets.

Azure: Kyros dispatched the Archon of Stone to subjugate the nation of Azure.

Decisions Lie Before Us!

Who are we supporting - the Disfavored, the Scarlet Chorus, or Balance our rulings between the legions? Supporting one of the legions will get them picked 100% of the time in every choice except the Bastard City one.

Which ability do we want - Warrior's Respite, Fire Sigil, or Concealing Shadows?

Lethean's Crossing or Apex?

Stalwart, Vellum Citadel, or Azure?

Choose wisely! After we resolve the conquest we can actually play the game!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Scarlet Chorus, Concealing Shadows, Apex, Vellum Citadel.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I vote:
Concealing Shadows
Lethean's Crossing
Azure

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fat Samurai posted:

Other way around is funnier.

The trick is to switch on a per case basis. Also this approach can lead to inherent contradictions. Of course those negate the whole concept of the law, so you can do whatever you feel like.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 30, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Disfavored, Warrior's Respite, Apex, Stalwart

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Balanced Rulings, Warrior's Respite, Apex, Azure

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'd disagree about picking frost at character start - since accuracy for spells is based on lore + element, having high Control Frost gives you a leg up with the most damaging of all the sigils.

Balanced, Sigil of Fire, Apex, Vellum Citadel

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Balanced, Shadows, Lethean’s Crossing, Vellum

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Are you going to do multiple runthroughs of the game to show off everything or is this LP one and done?

Regardless: Balanced, Fire Sigil, Apex, Stalwart

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Are you going to do multiple runthroughs of the game to show off everything or is this LP one and done?

Depends on how demand goes. First runthrough will be guided by goons, if there's interest I can do the other routes.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Concealing Shadows
Lethean's Crossing
Vellum Citadel

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Balanced, Warrior's Respite, Apex, Azure

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Depends on how demand goes. First runthrough will be guided by goons, if there's interest I can do the other routes.

If you're doing alternate routes, you need to do the ... route

I restarted this too many times and lost interest

Balanced,
Fire sigil,
Apex,
Azure

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TravelLog posted:

Concealing Shadows
Lethean's Crossing
Vellum Citadel

This looks good. Go all in on shadowy backroom dealing.

Also back the disfavored. Those wannabe khornates just look so... untidy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Balanced Rulings, Sigil of Fire, Apex, Stalwart

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Balance our rulings.
Warrior's Respite.
Lethian's Crossing.
Azure.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

they do a pretty good job with Kyros' Law, because it rests somewhere between the two. your job is to serve as the emissary of Kyros. Kyros is a tyrant! generally lovely human being! Kyros is also the ruler of an empire, who does not wish that empire to fall, and as such a decent fraction of the Law has to do with resolving conflicts between the Dread Legions in ways that don't break out into open warfare. some of the laws are basic "i am running a nation-state here, please do not go killing one another without my say-so." poo poo. some of the laws are cruel, but understandable in time of war. some of the laws are "i can see why this sounded good at first but holy poo poo that is SO exploitable." some of the laws are vague enough it's clear the grey areas they create are the point.

your relationship with the law is one of the things the game pretty much nails. one of the major benefits of setting it in an occupied territory in the bronze age is that at all times, both you and the person you're Phoenix Wrighting at are fully aware you're both weighing Kyros' law on one hand, and "if I killed this person, even if someone went looking for them and found the body there's no way to trace their death to me" on the other.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's no way to trace their death to me

If you're sure no one's watching that is. You are sure no one's watching right?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Take the third route for Bastard City less lives lost, as is Kyros will.

Be balanced in our dealing with the legions we are impartial judge, we cannot play favourites.

Apex

Vellum Citadel

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

The trick is to switch on a per case basis. Also this approach can lead to inherent contradictions. Of course those negate the whole concept of the law, so you can do whatever you feel like.

I don't think a contradiction in laws invalidates them all though :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is there a way to make the text bigger? I am having a real hard time seeing what's written in the screenshots.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah that was honestly what disappointed me the most.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

can you use snipping tool or something to capture the text boxes?

Balance our rulings
Fire Sigil
Lethean's Crossing
Stalwart

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
There is a text scale control in the game options. It only goes to 150% though, which might not be enough if you're playing in 4K. Playing in a lower resolution windowed mode might help further; not really sure how Tyranny handles that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xarn posted:

I don't think a contradiction in laws invalidates them all though :v:

Well no, only when it's convenient. You have two laws which can be interpreted in a contradictory way and focus on the one which suits you best.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I will play with text size for the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ah, yes, Tyranny. I... don't hate it, but also have a bad habit of starting a run, getting paralyzed by choice as I am a poor sweetie who must see ALL OF THE THINGS (which is, no spoilers, completely impossible in one run), and then forgetting about it before I get reminded again. I do think it should be seen, so I wish this LP luck, and will look forward to how the gooncensus views it. :)

Xerophyte posted:

I found this to be true too, but I honestly think it's a problem of marketing- I mean, you have a game called Tyranny, you're going to have advertisers selling it as the way to be the Ultimate Bad Guy, or some such. But Obsidian games have always been a little bit more nuanced than that, and this game... well, it's less a bad guy simulator and more a meditation on power- how you get it, how you hold it, how it ends up changing you, etc. Philosophically, it's less Lord Acton and more Robert Caro, if you know what I mean... the games stance is less that "power corrupts" and more that "power reveals", in that it leads people not to do wrong, but to do what they always wanted to do. So when approaching this game, that's what I suggest a first playthrough to be: not trying to be a hero or villain, but to honestly do as you would do if you were pretty much an extrajudicial agent interpreting a body of law.

So with that in mind, I abstain from voting on which legion to support. But my remaining votes are Fire Sigil, Lethean's, and Vellum Citadel.