Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What happens to the water level when you pee in the bathtub?
Water level rises
Water level falls
Water level stays the same
Goku
View Results

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Alright so a really dumb guy asked me this, but actually it turned out to be the smartest science question I have ever personally been asked at a supermarket. I don't have a bathtub, and if I did, you better believe I wouldn't be posting this since I'd spend every day neck-deep in my own piss have tested this already spend every day neck-deep in my own piss, but alas, I live in a cheap, lovely apartment my parents refuse to visit because they disagree with my lifestyle every second within its walls is a constant, painful reminder of just how little I have made of my own life. More importantly, however, is the piss bathtub question. I've been thinking about this for years now. Just an insane amount. Please help me.

Naturally, I would love for someone to draw a bath, light some scented candles, pour themselves a glass of champagne taking care not to spill any in the tub and risk contaminating the experiment, and advance the cause of science. It's what Einstein would do if he were alive because he was German and they're really into pee pee and all the other toilet stuff which is irrelevant for now.

:cumpolice:HOWEVER:cumpolice:(pretend these say piss instead of cum), I have it on good authority that people whose smartness for science in their brains is good can actually figure this out using almost no pee at all! Unfortunately, mine isn't good, but yours? Better, maybe? The people weigh in!!

Water level rises: The safe choice?? Your disgusting body displaces water because of the power of density I think, but pissing doesn't change it + now there's more liquid in the tub

Water level falls: This is the one I think it most isn't? Peeing makes you more buoyant so the water level falls, maybe?

Water level stays the same: It turns out the pissy tubwater was inside you all along, so peeing it out results in a net change of zero. Incidentally, this would mean that crying into the lukewarm soup of your own liquid waste and filth would also not change the water level.

Goku: the pee is stored in the dragon balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

What if I drink the water while I'm peeing?

Edit: I'm also farting.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
well, if there's no water, the water level goes up from zero, surely
so we can establish that

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im notsure scientists know what happens if you add something to something else without taking anything away

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if you really wanna gently caress with your mind what would happen if you shitted instead?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Water level rises. Also changes the ph a little so it's better for the skin and hair.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Chinatown posted:

if you really wanna gently caress with your mind what would happen if you shitted instead?

Can we please stay on topic???

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Hypothetically, if you were in the bath and I pee into it the water level would rise. Pm me if you want to test the theory.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
thought experiment:
picture a filled, tied-up water balloon in a filled swimming pool
if the water balloon pops, what happens to the water level of the pool?
it definitely doesn't go up, you're not adding anything
it either stays the same... OR
if I may,
if there was an air bubble in the water balloon, it would escape and the water level would actually go down

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
My nieces race to the bathtub so that they can be the first to pee in it, then go about their bathing business in what is the same color as the contents of a urinal.

Anyway, I think the water level went up?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It depends if pee is stored in the balls or not, pee in the balls will make them swell and displace water.

Time_pants posted:

Water level rises: The safe choice?? Your disgusting body displaces water because of the power of density I think,

Your body displaces water because it displaces that water, we don't care about things floating or not here. When you pee your bladder shrinking doesn't make you smaller and the water isn't going to rush up your junk and fill it back up again no matter how many deviant art posts you've drawn of that.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 28, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Flannelette posted:

It depends if pee is stored in the balls or not, pee in the balls will make them swell and displace water.

Your body displaces water because it displaces that water, we don't care about things floating or not here. When you pee your bladder shrinking doesn't make you smaller and the water isn't going to rush up your junk and fill it back up again no matter how many deviant posts you've drawn of that.
i heard if you are born after 1992 then pee is stored in the balls

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Flannelette posted:

Your body displaces water because it displaces that water, we don't care about things floating or not here. When you pee your bladder shrinking doesn't make you smaller and the water isn't going to rush up your junk and fill it back up again no matter how many deviant art posts you've drawn of that.

*furiously taking notes and muttering* uh-huh... uh-huh... "Isn't... going... to... rush... up... junk. Add... disclaimer... to... DeviantArt... posts."

Okay, I think I got everything I need!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What if you are in the bath and someone pees on you?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
your bladder and lower abdomen are displaced by the urine you carry so if your lower abdomen was already fully submerged then the water level stays the same
or if you were managing to float without resting on the surface of the tub the water level stays the same

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Flannelette posted:

When you pee your bladder shrinking doesn't make you smaller
of course it does, matter is leaving your body
not by a significant amount, but matter leaving your body leaves less matter in your body

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Despite losing some volume when pissing your bladder does not lose volume equal to the volume of urine you expel - thus the water level rises.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Cubone posted:

of course it does, matter is leaving your body
not by a significant amount, but matter leaving your body leaves less matter in your body

It will definitely reduce your mass, but might not reduce your volume, and it is the volume that causes the displacement of water. When your bladder expands to full it might simply compress the surrounding viscera/muscles/ interstitial tissue/whatever rather than expanding your waist outwards slightly, such that your external measurements do not change when you then release your bladder.

Your water balloon in a pool example works because releasing liquid from a balloon changes the dimensions of the balloon, reducing its volume. But it wouldn't work the same if it was a rigid container that doesn't difform with the release of its contents.

But maybe a particularly full bladder does expand the waist outwards. I feel like it might vary by body composition, but it definitely doesn't increase the volume of the body by the full volume of the urine. Average bladder capacity is around 300-400ml, but you certainly aren't losing and gaining a coke can sized growth to your waist between pisses.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

its a good question op and I have a related one that has to do with peeing while running on a treadmill on an air plane.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

another factor to consider is temperature
one of the things that makes water unique as a chemical is that it expands in volume as it cools, and we need to consider the possibility of a cold bath meeting a hot piss

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What about a girl who has a squirting orgasm in the bathtub?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It just occurred to me that after all these years I've been thinking about it all wrong. If you piss in the bath then you get out of the bath. The water level falls.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I mean just imagine what kind of disgusting degenerate would stay in the bath after pissing in it. Nobody would do that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What if the bathtub is empty? What if it is full the drain line? There are a lot of variables here.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
the water level ultimately lowers, I assume, because if you're smart you're selling the pee'd-in bathwater to your Twitch subscribers

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here's how to test it OP. Get in a bathtub. And fill it up with water until it is just overflowing on to your floor. Now take a big piss and see if it over flows onto the floor or not. There's your answer.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

It will definitely reduce your mass, but might not reduce your volume, and it is the volume that causes the displacement of water. When your bladder expands to full it might simply compress the surrounding viscera/muscles/ interstitial tissue/whatever rather than expanding your waist outwards slightly, such that your external measurements do not change when you then release your bladder.
the only parts of you that are really compressible are your lungs and look at your body when you breathe. air is far less dense than urine and your innards move to accomodate it with every breath

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

i heard if you are born after 1992 then pee is stored in the balls

What if I was born in 1992? Please help this is urgent.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

y'all sure talk about pessin alot

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

gary oldmans diary posted:

the only parts of you that are really compressible are your lungs and look at your body when you breathe. air is far less dense than urine and your innards move to accomodate it with every breath

So you're saying that pee is stored in the lungs?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

the human body is less dense than water

pee is denser than water because it is a solution of water and filtered impurities

therefore more mass is transferring to the bath water than volume

the amount of mass in the tub has not changed but the post-piss body displaces less water than before

the water level lowers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

Your water balloon in a pool example works because releasing liquid from a balloon changes the dimensions of the balloon, reducing its volume. But it wouldn't work the same if it was a rigid container that doesn't difform with the release of its contents.

But maybe a particularly full bladder does expand the waist outwards. I feel like it might vary by body composition, but it definitely doesn't increase the volume of the body by the full volume of the urine. Average bladder capacity is around 300-400ml, but you certainly aren't losing and gaining a coke can sized growth to your waist between pisses.
Ever drank a lot before going to sleep? In the morning I can look like I'm pregnant if I make it through the night without waking up. So yeah it definitely expands the waist, but OTOH there's also some internal volume which doesn't change so the water level will rise but not as much as the volume of piss would suggest.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

the human body is less dense than water

pee is denser than water because it is a solution of water and filtered impurities

therefore more mass is transferring to the bath water than volume

the amount of mass in the tub has not changed but the post-piss body displaces less water than before

the water level lowers

Displacement is purely a measure of volume, chiefly the volume where the water can not go anymore. Why people keep talking about mass and density? :catstare:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

and thats the way it was posted:

What if I was born in 1992? Please help this is urgent.

Oh, pee is stored in the balls if you were born before 1992 aswell.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

To clear things up, for those born before or after, and indeed even IN the year 1992 itself, pee is, as a general rule, stored in the balls.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

do you think you get smaller if you piss?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Flannelette posted:

Displacement is purely a measure of volume, chiefly the volume where the water can not go anymore. Why people keep talking about mass and density? :catstare:

People are talking about density because they've heard density matters for displacement but don't remember that what they heard was density matters for displacement by FLOATING objects.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

hemale in pain posted:

do you think you get smaller if you piss?

Do you think you don't?
Wear a too-tight belt and try to drink water all day without peeing, see how it feels when the dam bursts.

e: to be clear, the belt is around your balls.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If you took a poo poo, and then looked down at it, and it had legs and was a giant poop ant, would you keep it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

Weka posted:

Oh, pee is stored in the balls if you were born before 1992 aswell.

Thank god!