Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What happens to the water level when you pee in the bathtub?
Water level rises
Water level falls
Water level stays the same
Goku
View Results

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Cubone posted:

of course it does, matter is leaving your body
not by a significant amount, but matter leaving your body leaves less matter in your body

It will definitely reduce your mass, but might not reduce your volume, and it is the volume that causes the displacement of water. When your bladder expands to full it might simply compress the surrounding viscera/muscles/ interstitial tissue/whatever rather than expanding your waist outwards slightly, such that your external measurements do not change when you then release your bladder.

Your water balloon in a pool example works because releasing liquid from a balloon changes the dimensions of the balloon, reducing its volume. But it wouldn't work the same if it was a rigid container that doesn't difform with the release of its contents.

But maybe a particularly full bladder does expand the waist outwards. I feel like it might vary by body composition, but it definitely doesn't increase the volume of the body by the full volume of the urine. Average bladder capacity is around 300-400ml, but you certainly aren't losing and gaining a coke can sized growth to your waist between pisses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

the only parts of you that are really compressible are your lungs and look at your body when you breathe. air is far less dense than urine and your innards move to accomodate it with every breath

Maybe compress isn't the correct word but there are plenty of things that are elastic and expand, contract or otherwise reposition slightly without change to external body dimensions, with the abdomen in particular having some degree of squishiness and cavities to fill. If I tighten my abdominal muscles and suck my stomach in as hard as I can I will be significantly reducing the size of my abdomen and the amount of space occupied by the organs therein, and that reduction doesn't require making GBS threads out an organ or ballooning out above or below the sucked in gut, meaning things are being "compressed".

Lungs are a unique situation specifically because of air being less dense, therefore requiring both a huge volume of intake to get sufficient oxygen and an intake method dependent on negative pressure (so having a greater need for expanding space).