Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What happens to the water level when you pee in the bathtub?
Water level rises
Water level falls
Water level stays the same
Goku
View Results

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Alright so a really dumb guy asked me this, but actually it turned out to be the smartest science question I have ever personally been asked at a supermarket. I don't have a bathtub, and if I did, you better believe I wouldn't be posting this since I'd spend every day neck-deep in my own piss have tested this already spend every day neck-deep in my own piss, but alas, I live in a cheap, lovely apartment my parents refuse to visit because they disagree with my lifestyle every second within its walls is a constant, painful reminder of just how little I have made of my own life. More importantly, however, is the piss bathtub question. I've been thinking about this for years now. Just an insane amount. Please help me.

Naturally, I would love for someone to draw a bath, light some scented candles, pour themselves a glass of champagne taking care not to spill any in the tub and risk contaminating the experiment, and advance the cause of science. It's what Einstein would do if he were alive because he was German and they're really into pee pee and all the other toilet stuff which is irrelevant for now.

:cumpolice:HOWEVER:cumpolice:(pretend these say piss instead of cum), I have it on good authority that people whose smartness for science in their brains is good can actually figure this out using almost no pee at all! Unfortunately, mine isn't good, but yours? Better, maybe? The people weigh in!!

Water level rises: The safe choice?? Your disgusting body displaces water because of the power of density I think, but pissing doesn't change it + now there's more liquid in the tub

Water level falls: This is the one I think it most isn't? Peeing makes you more buoyant so the water level falls, maybe?

Water level stays the same: It turns out the pissy tubwater was inside you all along, so peeing it out results in a net change of zero. Incidentally, this would mean that crying into the lukewarm soup of your own liquid waste and filth would also not change the water level.

Goku: the pee is stored in the dragon balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Chinatown posted:

if you really wanna gently caress with your mind what would happen if you shitted instead?

Can we please stay on topic???

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Flannelette posted:

It depends if pee is stored in the balls or not, pee in the balls will make them swell and displace water.

Your body displaces water because it displaces that water, we don't care about things floating or not here. When you pee your bladder shrinking doesn't make you smaller and the water isn't going to rush up your junk and fill it back up again no matter how many deviant art posts you've drawn of that.

*furiously taking notes and muttering* uh-huh... uh-huh... "Isn't... going... to... rush... up... junk. Add... disclaimer... to... DeviantArt... posts."

Okay, I think I got everything I need!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

wa27 posted:

In a bathtub, most people are resting on the bottom of the tub. Releasing the piss makes you less buoyant, but this doesn't matter because you're not floating. So pissing doesn't displace LESS water. The water level rises.

Say you're in a pool, floating on your back so part of you is above water. Pissing in this scenario makes you less dense, causing you to rise out of the water, displacing less water, equal to the amount you are releasing. The water level stays the same.

Imagine you're holding a bowling ball under water with you, and then you release it. In a tub, it would roll to the side and the water level obviously would not change. In a pool, you would suddenly be able to float much easier. The bowling ball is your piss.

Both of these scenarios are ignoring any slight volume change to your body from pissing, and also any slight change to water density by releasing a liquid with a different density into it.

This is a very thorough and easy to understand answer. Thank you for explaining it this way! You should start drinking more water if you're pissing bowling balls, though. Ouch!