Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Awesome! Was just chatting with my brother and his wife who are now living near the woods in Poland, and they've been gathering bilberries too.

Apparently they're the indigenous European blueberry, vs the North American varieties that are commercially produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
We commonly find both bilberries and low-bush blueberries growing together here (Norway), along with crowberries. I tend to get them confused sometimes, but bilberries are like in your photos with slightly serrated leaves and the little circles opposite the stem, blueberries have smoother leaves and a sort of star shape instead. Photos from a recent walk in the woods (I also found some nice mushrooms, posted in the mushroom thread).

Blueberries (and crowberries, edible but not very tasty without additional preparation):

Bilberries:

All three together:

Also found some nice patches of wild strawberries

Tonnes of wild raspberries, small but sweet:

And a berry I'm not familiar with. The clusters remind me a little of skrubbær (Chamaepericlymenum suecicum) but that has a brighter red, smaller leaves and larger berries. So not very similar really.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

And a berry I'm not familiar with. The clusters remind me a little of skrubbær (Chamaepericlymenum suecicum) but that has a brighter red, smaller leaves and larger berries. So not very similar really.

If it were this side of the Atlantic, I'd suspect salmonberry. It's definitely Rubus of some sort. Maybe cloudberry (Rubus chamaemorus)?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Definitely not cloudberry, we have those here too and I love them but they aren't quite ripe yet. Looking at various Rubus, it seems like it might be Rubus arcticus, Arctic brambles. Mid-Norway is probably the southern edge of their range but still plausible.

And also now I'm wondering if I got bilberries and blueberries confused again in my post above. They're both delicious so I suppose it's OK.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 3, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh hey, a foraging thread? I've foraged for five years or so, just came across a beautiful crashed ash tree - got permission to forage it just now, so hopefully I'll get some good poles for bowmaking.

Educated as natural heritage goon in Denmark, ama about plants, mushrooms or nature here!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m more of a mushroom guy but I’ve had fair luck with garlic mustard and know if a few good nettle patches to pick over next growing season. I know some ramp patches too but they’re so small (and on public ground so probably getting foraged already) that I’m loathe to take any from them.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I wish I knew how to find ramps.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Neon Noodle posted:

I wish I knew how to find ramps.

Where are you located?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

New England

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tias posted:

Oh hey, a foraging thread? I've foraged for five years or so, just came across a beautiful crashed ash tree - got permission to forage it just now, so hopefully I'll get some good poles for bowmaking.

Educated as natural heritage goon in Denmark, ama about plants, mushrooms or nature here!

How straight is the grain? I recently was able to get some pretty nice yew that wasn't being used for bows because it wasn't straight enough. How did you harvest it? Post pics!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Neon Noodle posted:

New England
If you were in VA/NC, I could give you some specific spots.

When the azaleas are blooming, go walk in the woods. Old growth hardwoods. Look for patches of shiny dark green leaves growing up from the forest floor. They're very vibrant compared to most vegetation at that point in the spring. Familiarize yourself with the bulbs/stems before-hand - they're quite distinctive. They're not that uncommon if you go at the right time.

Anywhere you'd find morels is a good place to start. Stream beds, high-quality, well drained shady soil is key.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm in NC and we have azaleas blooming here and there most of the year.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm in NC and we have azaleas blooming here and there most of the year.
You should look for them around a water source. A well, actually.

For real though, if you don't understand what I meant by azaleas blooming, you should probably stay out of the woods.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

Has anyone harvested black walnuts? There's a tree down the road from me so I gave it a shot last year. I removed the husks by stomping on them while wearing boots, and then hosing them off in a bucket (they'll dye your hands yellow if you don't use gloves, also don't wear clothes you like). I let them dry for a few weeks on an oven sheet. They're also very difficult to crack (a hefty pair of vice grips can do the trick), and you don't get much meat either.

Honestly I question if it was worth the effort and I don't know if I'll do it again. But I will say: they taste pretty drat good, with a complex flavor that I find much better than common walnuts.

Oh hey, I had no idea there was a foraging thread.

Speaking of black walnuts, we harvested a pile of unripe black walnuts earlier this year and packed most of them in sugar for walnut syrup, and grain alcohol for nocino.

The nocino is still hanging out, but we strained and boiled the syrup a week or two ago. It's, uh, interesting. It's very strongly earthy and a touch astringent, but it's supposed to mellow out as it rests. The only way I can describe the taste is how old growth deciduous forests smell in the fall.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
:eyepop: holy poo poo that looks so good and you sold that flavor profile hard for me.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Casu Marzu posted:

Speaking of black walnuts, we harvested a pile of unripe black walnuts earlier this year and packed most of them in sugar for walnut syrup, and grain alcohol for nocino.

The nocino is still hanging out, but we strained and boiled the syrup a week or two ago. It's, uh, interesting. It's very strongly earthy and a touch astringent, but it's supposed to mellow out as it rests. The only way I can describe the taste is how old growth deciduous forests smell in the fall.

Oh yeah I tried the syrup too! Makes a mean old fashioned.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Casu Marzu posted:

The lady and I tried to make nocino this year and it turned out...horribly. I don't know what we did wrong. It was dirty and tasted awful, like bad vinegar. Pretty sure we didn't add enough sugar. We've had better luck in the past too, and it's pretty great when it comes out right...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I also dabbled in some nocino this year.

Not great photos, but:

Here it is when I just started it in July. I was just barely able to get green walnuts in time. They were a little tough to cut through, but still green enough to use.

Let it steep in there with the sugar and spices for approx. 2 months, then strained and bottled:

The big bottle is for me and the GF, the two smaller bottles I gave away (which is why I also included a label with what it actually is.)

Mine came out great...so good, you can easily forget it's a full 80 proof liquor, ha.

Sorry to hear that yours wasn't good, MEIN RAVEN. I'm not sure what would make it taste like vinegar... in theory, not enough sugar would just make it taste like a black walnut vodka, just more harsh and not sweet. I wonder if somehow the walnuts rotted? Were they completely covered in the vodka? Container maybe wasn't sealed properly? In too warm a place?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 28, 2021

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sorry to hear that yours wasn't good, MEIN RAVEN. I'm not sure what would make it taste like vinegar... in theory, not enough sugar would just make it taste like a black walnut vodka, just more harsh and not sweet. I wonder if somehow the walnuts rotted? Were they completely covered in the vodka? Container maybe wasn't sealed properly? In too warm a place?

You know, we were too tired to do an autopsy. We got them REALLY ripe this year actually, in June. I think we didn't add enough sugar and it just tasted like bad gritty vodka, none of the smoothness and such. I do wonder too if the walnuts maybe rotted in the liquor, as they were really ashy when we pulled them out. Container was a mason jar with a secure lid, has worked in the past. Stuck them in a cool dark place, but we don't have AC here in the great northwest so....who knows. We'll revisit next year and try again. We have SO MANY of them in the area.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's a big mast year for the live oaks this year apparently. So many acorns falling on my house- good time to be a squirrel.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

You know, we were too tired to do an autopsy. We got them REALLY ripe this year actually, in June. I think we didn't add enough sugar and it just tasted like bad gritty vodka, none of the smoothness and such. I do wonder too if the walnuts maybe rotted in the liquor, as they were really ashy when we pulled them out. Container was a mason jar with a secure lid, has worked in the past. Stuck them in a cool dark place, but we don't have AC here in the great northwest so....who knows. We'll revisit next year and try again. We have SO MANY of them in the area.

For what it's worth, nothing lives in 80-proof liquor (assuming that's what you were using). But I guess the nuts could have rotted before the ethanol had a chance to properly soak into them?

Is there a reason not to coarse chop/grind the nuts?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For what it's worth, nothing lives in 80-proof liquor (assuming that's what you were using). But I guess the nuts could have rotted before the ethanol had a chance to properly soak into them?

Is there a reason not to coarse chop/grind the nuts?

That only matters for microbes on the surface. If the nuts are already past their prime and rotting inside, no amount of alcohol will save them. It’s like taking an apple that’s rotting inside but doesn’t have a broken skin. By the time the skin breaks the fruit is already spoiled. With nuts you can solve for this by just tossing them in the oven and heating them above 160 for half an hour. That will kill almost all the microbes inside and shouldn’t toast them at all. Best solution for green fruit though is to be careful with selection and skip anything that looks, feels, or smells off.

Chopping the nuts smaller would get you a lower extraction time, but you’ll also have a shorter window before you get too much you wouldn’t want. So long as you don’t leave it and forget it you should be able to make something good. You might get some different flavor extraction from the shell being available differently, but you won’t know until you try.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

wild yellow rocket = free arugula to my face

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Plum tree growing in a random graveyard. I'm going back tomorrow to grab some more because they're delicious, curses notwithstanding.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Plum tree growing in a random graveyard. I'm going back tomorrow to grab some more because they're delicious, curses notwithstanding.

be careful with your cursed goth plums

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Are you from the 1950s?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

b mad at me posted:

Are you from the 1950s?

True, I really should have used the more accurate cohabitational non-registered partner.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

rojay posted:

For foraging in the Southeast, Eat the Weeds http://www.eattheweeds.com/ is pretty good. He's got a pretty goofy series of videos, too: https://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds

Once I started getting into foraging, I started seeing tons of edible plants everywhere I went. Even in wholly urban areas I regularly see amaranth, purslane, pellitory and of course dandelions growing in cracks in the pavement. This past spring I found a mulberry tree two blocks from my home and in the course of a month I probably took 10 lbs. of ripe berries off of it. The city cut it down right as it was starting to slow its production, but that just means I'll have to walk a little further to find mulberries that aren't getting sprayed with some chemical or other.

I've also started transplanting wild edibles I find in suspect locations into my garden so that I can harvest them after they go through a season and I can be more comfortable that any residual herbicide and/or animal piss is no longer there. It's nifty to be able to have a regular source of stuff that I know is safe, where I don't have to compete with other people and can limit animal competition.

It's a good idea to learn the rules about where you can and can't take plants and whether a plant is endangered or invasive. And the general caveat is that unless you are certain what you've found is edible, don't eat it. There's a myth that you can "test" for edibility by rubbing some on your inner wrist, or just taking a nibble or something of that nature. Unless you're in danger of starvation and are going to die if you don't eat, never do that. Find someone who knows what the plant is or use a credible written or online source.

I've written a couple of articles about foraging, but I'm learning new stuff all the time. It's a fascinating topic, so thanks for the OP.

This is a person who knows what she's doing.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

:eyepop: holy poo poo that looks so good and you sold that flavor profile hard for me.

it's douchebags like this that Tim & Eric were aiming at

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sep 26, 2020

was playing with Theo at the park and found these bad boys, so I took a few home, cleaned them up, and now have them curing out on the balcony. excited to give myself some never before seen disease from dog park walnuts

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Just watch out for worms. As I understand, the thing with walnuts is that they get infested if the groundfall isn't cleared away. As in, if they're wormy, you could clear up the groundfall and after a year or two they'd be good.

Sep 26, 2020

Just watch out for worms. As I understand, the thing with walnuts is that they get infested if the groundfall isn't cleared away. As in, if they're wormy, you could clear up the groundfall and after a year or two they'd be good.

please forgive my ignorance (this is the first time i've done this) but like worms in the flesh of the fruit or worms in my actual little walnuts inside the shells?

could make or break how sad i get to hear this news

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

In the nuts.

But check them before you get too sad about it! They might be fine!

Sep 26, 2020

In the nuts.

But check them before you get too sad about it! They might be fine!

Reviews are in -- the nuts are good! Boyfriend taste-tested and said "wow! it's walnuts!"

Notes for next year: grab more and grab them earlier. And invest in a nutcracker. I used a hammer and sat on the balcony like an ape in the opening montage of 2001 but I have walnuts :)

Bonus "nocturnal walnut gremlin cryptid" pic boyfriend sent to the gc

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

:toot:

And yeah lol, you can probably find a nutcracker at a thrift store.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm not good with field plants, wat dis:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Horseradish?

Cauliflower?

It's kinda hard to tell, but I think I see one root half out the ground that looks horseradish-like.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tias posted:

I'm not good with field plants, wat dis:

Looks to me like it could be canola

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Looks to me like it could be canola

I guess I think of canola leaves as being smaller, but that would be after it "bolts". I don't think I've actually seen it earlier in the season. So yeah, could be.

I'd guess cauliflower would be transplanted as seedlings to get more even spacing than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess I think of canola leaves as being smaller, but that would be after it "bolts". I don't think I've actually seen it earlier in the season. So yeah, could be.

I'd guess cauliflower would be transplanted as seedlings to get more even spacing than that.

Yeah canola starts its life cycle as a leafy green (a tasty one in fact) with big floofy leaves, and then bolts to the yellow flowers. It's mustard.