Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'd like to share one of my favorite books on trees (or it was years ago I should re read it and see if it holds up!) Specifically redwoods which have a lot more going on than I originally thought. They are so incredible, someday I'll go bushwacking and find the really big ones. Looking forward to finding new books here yall like

The Wild Trees - Richard Preston
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/133844/the-wild-trees-by-richard-preston/

Bismuth posted:

If you live in the PNW there might be fucktons of oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) around, looks like a holly bush growing blueberries.

They are edible! They taste absolutely dreadful off the bush but they're kind of like cranberries, if you just add sugar you will unlock a secret delicious flavor. I like to make and can jam/jelly and syrup with them every year. Don't ignore this noble plant, the raw berries might make your face turn inside out but the cooked and sugared flavor is lovely.

Im not sure why they aren't farmed for food, they're easy to grow and can produce overwhelming volumes of berries

I waded through ferns up to my chest and saw a TON of those yesterday I've always wondered. Any recipes you'd like to share or should i just start looking online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My witch hazel started poppin about a week ago. What a nice smelling plant, weird too.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

To be fair anything green seems to work as pesto.

DrBouvenstein can you soak sumac spices to get the same tart drink or just the cones?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Tias posted:

Oh hey, a foraging thread? I've foraged for five years or so, just came across a beautiful crashed ash tree - got permission to forage it just now, so hopefully I'll get some good poles for bowmaking.

Educated as natural heritage goon in Denmark, ama about plants, mushrooms or nature here!

How straight is the grain? I recently was able to get some pretty nice yew that wasn't being used for bows because it wasn't straight enough. How did you harvest it? Post pics!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

:eyepop: holy poo poo that looks so good and you sold that flavor profile hard for me.