Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

For foraging in the Southeast, Eat the Weeds http://www.eattheweeds.com/ is pretty good. He's got a pretty goofy series of videos, too: https://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds

Once I started getting into foraging, I started seeing tons of edible plants everywhere I went. Even in wholly urban areas I regularly see amaranth, purslane, pellitory and of course dandelions growing in cracks in the pavement. This past spring I found a mulberry tree two blocks from my home and in the course of a month I probably took 10 lbs. of ripe berries off of it. The city cut it down right as it was starting to slow its production, but that just means I'll have to walk a little further to find mulberries that aren't getting sprayed with some chemical or other.

I've also started transplanting wild edibles I find in suspect locations into my garden so that I can harvest them after they go through a season and I can be more comfortable that any residual herbicide and/or animal piss is no longer there. It's nifty to be able to have a regular source of stuff that I know is safe, where I don't have to compete with other people and can limit animal competition.

It's a good idea to learn the rules about where you can and can't take plants and whether a plant is endangered or invasive. And the general caveat is that unless you are certain what you've found is edible, don't eat it. There's a myth that you can "test" for edibility by rubbing some on your inner wrist, or just taking a nibble or something of that nature. Unless you're in danger of starvation and are going to die if you don't eat, never do that. Find someone who knows what the plant is or use a credible written or online source.

I've written a couple of articles about foraging, but I'm learning new stuff all the time. It's a fascinating topic, so thanks for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU