Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone got ramp recipes? My wife requested I pick some after hearing about them from a friend. I know a couple places to find them locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HappyHippo posted:

Has anyone harvested black walnuts? There's a tree down the road from me so I gave it a shot last year. I removed the husks by stomping on them while wearing boots, and then hosing them off in a bucket (they'll dye your hands yellow if you don't use gloves, also don't wear clothes you like). I let them dry for a few weeks on an oven sheet. They're also very difficult to crack (a hefty pair of vice grips can do the trick), and you don't get much meat either.

Honestly I question if it was worth the effort and I don't know if I'll do it again. But I will say: they taste pretty drat good, with a complex flavor that I find much better than common walnuts.
Black walnuts are really delicious, imho. They are a huge pain in the rear end to crack and pick, though. My family would collect big sacks full and then spread them out on screens to dry and husk them after they were dried out. And then crack and pick them a handful at a time over the winter. A nice nut-cracker is essential. The lovely $15 one on Amazon doesn't work. I think ours cost ~$75. Once you learn to crack them the right way, it makes picking them much easier.

I liked using them in cookies because I like tart nutty cookies. Also candied them to pair with goat cheese on salad. My mother makes and sells biscotti from time to time made from black walnuts. She likely makes far below minimum wage in doing so, but it's a hobby to her.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Neon Noodle posted:

I wish I knew how to find ramps.

Where are you located?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Neon Noodle posted:

New England
If you were in VA/NC, I could give you some specific spots.

When the azaleas are blooming, go walk in the woods. Old growth hardwoods. Look for patches of shiny dark green leaves growing up from the forest floor. They're very vibrant compared to most vegetation at that point in the spring. Familiarize yourself with the bulbs/stems before-hand - they're quite distinctive. They're not that uncommon if you go at the right time.

Anywhere you'd find morels is a good place to start. Stream beds, high-quality, well drained shady soil is key.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm in NC and we have azaleas blooming here and there most of the year.
You should look for them around a water source. A well, actually.

For real though, if you don't understand what I meant by azaleas blooming, you should probably stay out of the woods.