Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Well no, like I said. Not yet. I just feel like the other shoe might drop on him soon. We'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, abuse stuff goes in the other thread for the most part, but like-- stuff like the Flash actor's lovely behavior, that have specific bearing on a different medium, are also ok to talk about in the TV or Movie threads or wherever. I think if more comes out the Industry Terribleness thread would be the place for it though.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Well no, like I said. Not yet. I just feel like the other shoe might drop on him soon. We'll see!

Honestly it feels like there's a whole graveyard in GJ closet and the only reason it hasn't been aired yet is because his bosses have been covering for him. If the investigation that's ongoing digs up any of those skelly bois everyone will smell blood in the water and air their dirty laundry on him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's made his career selling his dead sister which I've been saying is creepy for ages.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

He's made his career selling his dead sister which I've been saying is creepy for ages.

Can we not do this angle?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As a note, Diane Nelsons account seems to have been deleted

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AngryBooch posted:

uh excuse me New Mutants came out this year Bob

Sonic and Birds of Prey, too. :colbert:

AND we're still getting Wandvision, so stuff it, Bob.

McCloud posted:

So uh, Diane Nelson just tweeted this

https://twitter.com/dewnelson1/status/1309307157276364802?s=19

Which seems significant to me

What did it say?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vandar posted:

What did it say?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aldis Hodge is in talks to play Hawkman in Black Adam.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's awesome! Leverage still remains one of my favorite shows.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd prefer to never see Hawkman in anything ever again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disney is reportedly making a Nick Fury Disney+ Marvel show for the streaming service. Speculation in the article is that this could involve him and SWORD, which was teased at the end of Spider-Man Far From Home.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nick-fury-marvel-disney-plus-series-in-development-with-samuel-l-jackson

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Digital Jedi posted:

That's awesome! Leverage still remains one of my favorite shows.

You should be happy, it's getting a revival with Hodge, Gina Bellman, Christian Kane and Beth Riesgraf reprising their roles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney is reportedly making a Nick Fury Disney+ Marvel show for the streaming service. Speculation in the article is that this could involve him and SWORD, which was teased at the end of Spider-Man Far From Home.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nick-fury-marvel-disney-plus-series-in-development-with-samuel-l-jackson

That lines up nicely with the apparent SWORD hints we’ll be getting in WandaVision and TF&TWS.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nice! :buddy:

I hope they take a lot of inspo from Venditti's Hawkman run and from nowhere else whatsoever 'cuz that's the only awesome Hawkman run.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's a fine choice.

Already seeing folks gnashing their teeth, which is dumber than usual for these kinds of things, considering the backstory of the character.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

You should be happy, it's getting a revival with Hodge, Gina Bellman, Christian Kane and Beth Riesgraf reprising their roles.

What? That is fantastic news to hear!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digital Jedi posted:

What? That is fantastic news to hear!

Eh, it's an IMDB original series so who knows what the hell that means. It also has Noah Wylie replacing Tim Huttton. While that's a welcome upgrade in the "at least he's not a sexual predator" department he's also a considerable downgrade in every other conceivable way and is pretty forgettable as an actor. And while I definitely don't want Hutton back under any circumstances he did kind of hold everything together in the original series. But nobody wants to see him anymore after the accusations against him. We'll see how it goes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-O posted:

Eh, it's an IMDB original series so who knows what the hell that means. It also has Noah Wylie replacing Tim Huttton. While that's a welcome upgrade in the "at least he's not a sexual predator" department he's also a considerable downgrade in every other conceivable way and is pretty forgettable as an actor. And while I definitely don't want Hutton back under any circumstances he did kind of hold everything together in the original series. But nobody wants to see him anymore after the accusations against him. We'll see how it goes.

Wylie proved with The Librarians that he's pretty good at carrying a low-calorie comedy-drama. ER fell to pieces when they made him the lead after season 8, because he can't really give off the pathos for a heavy drama, but he's fine with light stuff. And the revival has Dean Devlin and John Rogers running it again, so points for that, too.

Edit: And IMDB TV is owned by Amazon, so it's not like it'll be some cheap piece of poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 26, 2020

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They should get Kevin Kline to replace Timothy Hutton, I always got them confused as a child Kline has always been a better actor.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hey. Are Sebastian Stan fans called Stan's Stans?

If they're not, they really should be

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m watching X Men Apocalypse for the first time since it was in theatres (gotta love Hulu auto play)and... it’s not bad but I forgot just how much it wasted Oscar Isaac. You can’t even tell it’s him at all. Still a drat sight better than Dark Phoenix though.

I really do hope that Disney goes back and does Apocalypse and Dark Pheonix properly when they do some X Men movies, though. Both great villains that have never lived up to their potential in adaptations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m watching X Men Apocalypse for the first time since it was in theatres (gotta love Hulu auto play)and... it’s not bad but I forgot just how much it wasted Oscar Isaac. You can’t even tell it’s him at all. Still a drat sight better than Dark Phoenix though.

I really do hope that Disney goes back and does Apocalypse and Dark Pheonix properly when they do some X Men movies, though. Both great villains that have never lived up to their potential in adaptations.

The crazy thing about the new films post First Class was this.

Like when Synger did the original X-Men trilogy he didn't want these "superhero/comic" ideas in them because they were for babies and wouldn't sell.

And he was massively wrong* about this.

But then First Class comes out and there is suddenly this new chance at doing the X-Men films and there are all these opportunities to use more comic based ideas in this films.

And Fox just piss them all away.

Here's a scene in Wolverine which would set it up for him to have this classic costume. No follow-up!

Here's the new X-kids in comic accurate costumes at the end of Apocalypse. Don't use them!

Like where was the interconectivity between the films? It was gone.
Suddenly you have characters appear in the 60's to 90's with no explanation for why they aren't aging.
You decide to setup story beats (okay Mystique impersonated Stryker and rescues Wolverine at the end of DOTFP. Obviously they are going to use this to change Wolverines past....oh no. He still ends up in Weapon X.) And not pay them off.

And you have these obvious story beats you could play with that you don't.
(Alright Apocalypse has all this alien technology that was given to him to let him rule. Why? No reason.
But make sure he gets killed by the Phoenix. And have the next film be about aliens who want to control the Phoenix. Under no circumstances should we try and link these ideas.)

It just seemed like there was a baffling failure to engage with such a rich source material.

*= Not the the thing he was most wrong about.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always feel bad for Olivia Munn in Apocalypse. She apparently trained really hard for Psylocke's stuff and then got... you know... what she got. Of course she apparently had to tell them about Psylocke in the first place and that's maybe why she didn't really... what's the word... oh, yeah, talk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

The crazy thing about the new films post First Class was this.

Like when Synger did the original X-Men trilogy he didn't want these "superhero/comic" ideas in them because they were for babies and wouldn't sell.

And he was massively wrong* about this.

But then First Class comes out and there is suddenly this new chance at doing the X-Men films and there are all these opportunities to use more comic based ideas in this films.

And Fox just piss them all away.

Here's a scene in Wolverine which would set it up for him to have this classic costume. No follow-up!

Here's the new X-kids in comic accurate costumes at the end of Apocalypse. Don't use them!

Like where was the interconectivity between the films? It was gone.
Suddenly you have characters appear in the 60's to 90's with no explanation for why they aren't aging.
You decide to setup story beats (okay Mystique impersonated Stryker and rescues Wolverine at the end of DOTFP. Obviously they are going to use this to change Wolverines past....oh no. He still ends up in Weapon X.) And not pay them off.

And you have these obvious story beats you could play with that you don't.
(Alright Apocalypse has all this alien technology that was given to him to let him rule. Why? No reason.
But make sure he gets killed by the Phoenix. And have the next film be about aliens who want to control the Phoenix. Under no circumstances should we try and link these ideas.)

It just seemed like there was a baffling failure to engage with such a rich source material.

*= Not the the thing he was most wrong about.

For sure. It creates a feeling of a series where it was constantly having shifts in the creative team who wanted to use their own ideas instead of the set up from the past movies, despite being run by the same person for the whole series. It’s been a pretty huge problem for all the X-films, and it’s why I’m looking forward to seeing what Marvel does with it. They’ve been really good at keeping elements moving forward from film to film in a coherent and satisfying way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She trained super hard and was awarded some sort of master class level for the sword she trained with or something? Whatever it was, she got really good at sharp things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Personally I hope they just don't do the Phoenix stuff. They've done it twice now and it hasn't turned out well. Just do anything else with the characters.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Phoenix could still work but you'd have to establish a long status quo for it to upend. You have to care about everyone involved and be invested in their lives for it to work and you have to have Jean as Phoenix for a while before she goes Dark. It's doable but it would take multiple films in multiple X-franchies for it to land well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Phoenix could still work but you'd have to establish a long status quo for it to upend. You have to care about everyone involved and be invested in their lives for it to work and you have to have Jean as Phoenix for a while before she goes Dark. It's doable but it would take multiple films in multiple X-franchies for it to land well.

Yeah, Phoenix need its own through line ending with something like Infinity War/Endgame. They keep trying to cram it into a single movie because PHOENIX and we've seen the results.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Phoenix need its own through line ending with something like Infinity War/Endgame. They keep trying to cram it into a single movie because PHOENIX and we've seen the results.
Arguably it was set up for something in X2 and... yeah. What a waste.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also set it up earlier in Apocalypse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The problem is that the setup is usually incredibly perfunctory and feels like they’re thinking “well, I guess we have to do the pheonix thing so let’s start jamming it in there now”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno why you guys keep saying "they", for no reason at all the same idiot was given both Phoenix movies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's the thing with what The Question IRL was saying though, like...they (for expediency's sake let's say "they" are the studio in charge of these decisions) had absolutely every opportunity to make the better choices, and were given priceless second chances to correct mistakes they might've made before. They in fact outright did make some better choices and did correct some mistakes with the reboot narrative...and then for no discernible reason just flat-out walked back on the better choices that they were making, like "whoa there gently caress poo poo we're doing things a bit too right, better dial it back and redo the lovely things again!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the Phoenix well is thoroughly poisoned at this point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If anybody could figure out how to do a Phoenix/Dark Phoenix movie, or series of movies, it's the Marvel Studios crew. Though my guess is they'll pick something else to mine for stories.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The fact that the Phoenix Saga was tried and failed twice makes me just wish they would move on and do something else. Unless they make some grand sci Fi space opera I really don't care to see it put on the screen again.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think a big failing of the cinematic's iterations of the Dark Phoenix stuff is that Jean Grey isn't really a main character in any real sense throughout either of the X-Men film series.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah it would have had more impact if she'd been more prevalent up until it triggered, especially if they'd gotten to a point of her actually being beloved by fans.

Marvel Studios would need to have her featured heavily in like 3 X-Men movies and a bunch of other side stories for her to feel as big and important as needed for this, and even then the well has been properly poisoned like everyone says. I feel like now no matter how long you leave it, people will always just expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Marvel Studios would need to have her featured heavily in like 3 X-Men movies and a bunch of other side stories for her to feel as big and important as needed for this

Isn't this like saying that Blade should be in at least three movies before any vampires appear? I'm honestly kinda tired off everything needing a long build up.