Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

End every episode with a “So, you...” PSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Re: Captain Marvel, I saw it when just the once when it came out and I completely forgot that Annette Bening was Mar Vell, my brain just filed her as "Kree Annette Bening" and moved on since she was kind of an ancillary supporting character. Still no explicit 'Call me Captain Marvel" or "That is Captain Marvel over there" moment, but what I would very much like to be true is that Fury wrote her up as "Captain Marvel" in all his reports as a way to troll her. She comes back and everyone is like "Ah, yes, Captain Marvel! Fury has told us so much about you" and she just squints at this bad joke he planted like a time bomb 30 years ago.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

If Steve comes back I want him to always be Old Man Steve, like replace Fury as head of whatever and he’s just the new head honcho, solely because I think it would be funny if they spent a decade digitally aging Chris Evans up 40 years in every appearance.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So WB is rumored to be looking for a black director to film a black Superman movie.

My thoughts:

1) Boy this sure is WB pretending to be not racist because of the Ray Fisher fiasco huh.

2) I would have more faith in this if there was literally any indication that anyone at WB/DC had any sort of overall plan moving forward for what they want to do with their movies.

3) I will, however, be looking forward to the Snyder fans’ racially-charged tears that they recast Superman away from their favorite white guy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

NieR Occomata posted:

3) I will, however, be looking forward to the Snyder fans’ racially-charged tears that they recast Superman away from their favorite white guy.
Dude, what the gently caress?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's definitely a weird way of framing that but I have absolutely seen plenty of reactions to the THR story that were literally just "How could WB do this on Henry Cavill's birthday???" Which is just an incredibly childish way of viewing things for several reasons, chief among them being that this was a leak and not a press release.

I'm also not quite as cynical about the motivations behind this, mainly because last we heard about this project Ta-Nehisi Coates was attached to write it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have already seen multiple tweets about this that state that Henry Cavill is the ONLY TRUE Superman and if you don’t think that’s a weird and charged thing to say on top of being literally verifiably untrue for even the most casual of comics fans you aren’t paying attention.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Yeah, it's naive thinking that a part of a specific fandom won't erupt in anger at the idea of a POC Superman. On this day it's expected to happen.

I'm also a regular internet person who sometimes likes to see drama unfold, so I'll be honest, I'm waiting for the day MCU snatches Henry. Twitter is going to burn.

Arist posted:

I'm also not quite as cynical about the motivations behind this, mainly because last we heard about this project Ta-Nehisi Coates was attached to write it.

Feels like they are going full with the indy-esque/multiverse thing for their movies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fear of a Black Planet Krypton

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm just kind of here thinking it's hosed up someone is going "heh, can't wait for those Snyder Boys to lost on FREEP whining about the BLACL SUPERMAN *that I totally think is bunk anyway*"

But perhaps I'm in the wrong thread

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hopefully Nubia is in the movie too.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Fisher did a tweet calling out the news and there's a few responses to that saying how there "shouldn't be a black Superman" and marked with the RestoretheSnyderverse tag in a way that assumes Fisher would agree with them and ooof that is NOT his point. It is a very small proportion of the whole though.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Didnt they make black superman with that Will Smith movie? Though I vaguely remember it ended with Will Smith being an angel or something :psyduck:

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
WB made up a fake Frosty the snowman movie starring Momoa to divert attention away from Ray Fishers allegations. Momoa litterally called them out on it. WB deserves no benefit of doubt that they are doing the same thing by announcing a black superman.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Collapsing Farts posted:

Didnt they make black superman with that Will Smith movie? Though I vaguely remember it ended with Will Smith being an angel or something :psyduck:

Hancock

Also, gently caress, just make a Mr. Terrific movie, he would make a super cool movie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Hancock

Also, gently caress, just make a Mr. Terrific movie, he would make a super cool movie.

goddamn was the first half of hancock so good

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

NieR Occomata posted:

jesus christ

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Reckon Andrew Garfield must be an honest person because he's a bad liar https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1389578826640941061?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the big deal of a Black Superman? Last I checked Black Superman has been a thing in the comics for a long while now and he’s also the President of the United States?

Or is this a black Kal-El? Which I guess would also not be a big deal? I guess I can imagine people being mad because Marvel absolutely poisoned the well of making separate films about a comic universe so the idea of ditching Cavill, who is pretty good as Superman, would irk some people because he’s still around.

Cinematic universes were a mistake

EDIT: looked it up. Calvin Ellis, Black Superman, has been around since 2009!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 6, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Karloff posted:

Fisher did a tweet calling out the news and there's a few responses to that saying how there "shouldn't be a black Superman" and marked with the RestoretheSnyderverse tag in a way that assumes Fisher would agree with them and ooof that is NOT his point. It is a very small proportion of the whole though.

Some people have been using their supposed love of Snyder's movies to poorly disguise their hatred of minorities for close to a decade now. Them using the "Snyderverse" to attack the black Superman is business as usual.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's not why they're mad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

NieR Occomata posted:

There are racist pieces of trash in every fandom. It's not something endemic to Zack Snyder's fanbase, so please don't post incendiary stuff like this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the big deal of a Black Superman? Last I checked Black Superman has been a thing in the comics for a long while now and he’s also the President of the United States?

Or is this a black Kal-El? Which I guess would also not be a big deal? I guess I can imagine people being mad because Marvel absolutely poisoned the well of making separate films about a comic universe so the idea of ditching Cavill, who is pretty good as Superman, would irk some people because he’s still around.

Hello, friend have you heard of a thing called "racism"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soonmot posted:

goddamn was the first half of hancock so good
It really was, and then everything just goes off the rails

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not going to be a DCEU movie btw.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I hope they do a Black Superman and then a Black Batman and on until the entire DCEU is Black. Except Green Arrow. He's Yt: The Last Man.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think if you go back, there was a black Superman even further before this.

https://superman.fandom.com/wiki/Calvin_Ellis

The Wiki mentions stories of a black Superman in 1999 and again in 1990. But I'm half convinced that there was another instance of a black Superman in the 80's or 70's.

Personally I'm hoping if they do decide to make a black Superman that they cast Willam Jackson Harper. He really has "a Christopher Reeves in his prime" look to him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

I think if you go back, there was a black Superman even further before this.

https://superman.fandom.com/wiki/Calvin_Ellis

The Wiki mentions stories of a black Superman in 1999 and again in 1990. But I'm half convinced that there was another instance of a black Superman in the 80's or 70's.

Personally I'm hoping if they do decide to make a black Superman that they cast Willam Jackson Harper. He really has "a Christopher Reeves in his prime" look to him.

Sunshine Superman appears in the last arc of G-Mo's Animal Man and that's the oldest version anyone can find. There was that really poorly thought out Kryptonian continent that was "populated by blacks" or whatever soft racism they used back then but I don't think any of them put on the S.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's the criteria for "black Superman"? Would Steel count? Not a Kryptonian but he took the iconography when filling the Superman-shaped hole Doomsday left.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

What's the criteria for "black Superman"? Would Steel count? Not a Kryptonian but he took the iconography when filling the Superman-shaped hole Doomsday left.

He should count but he never took the name and always insisted he wasn't Superman unlike the other three.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He should count but he never took the name and always insisted he wasn't Superman unlike the other three.

Which if I remember right made Lois think "okay, this guy's DEFINITELY the real deal."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

Which if I remember right made Lois think "okay, this guy's DEFINITELY the real deal."

Did she? I think the psychic lady told her Steel might have Supermans soul but I dont remember Loia taking it seriously.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Maybe I misread some sarcasm as straight. I haven't read any of them since they came out and my access was spotty at the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Keep seeing people say that they should use one of the two black Superman characters that no one has ever heard of instead of racebending Kal-El for this. While I kind of get where that's coming from (at least the stuff that's not just transparently trying to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse), I feel like there's a lot more potential in the story as a commentary on Superman if it's Clark motherfucking Kent--as long as that's what they're going for, and I hope they are, like the Isaiah Bradley stuff in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which I really liked. Maybe this will stick the landing better than that series did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think there's a difference between a black Superman and making The Superman black. Even most racists are probably not very enraged that on earth 29502912 there happens to be a Superman who is black. Making a movie called Superman, about the actual Superman, no asterisk, starring a black man, is an entirely different thing than having a black guy who is "the other Superman".

Also you know, Steel couldn't ever do anything remotely close to some of Superman's most absurd feats. Regardless of his popularity he was clearly in the B tier of power.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
C or D level really. His original armor was pretty weak.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

As long as it isn't president superman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bruceski posted:

Its been forever since I read it but I remember that as more like "this guy is a real deal ideal of Superman" compared to the obnoxious teenager seeking fame, the murdering computer program, and the supervillain in disguise.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

We are well overdue for another Steel film, though. Hopefully a good one this time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think there's a difference between a black Superman and making The Superman black. Even most racists are probably not very enraged that on earth 29502912 there happens to be a Superman who is black. Making a movie called Superman, about the actual Superman, no asterisk, starring a black man, is an entirely different thing than having a black guy who is "the other Superman".

Also you know, Steel couldn't ever do anything remotely close to some of Superman's most absurd feats. Regardless of his popularity he was clearly in the B tier of power.

Definitely, I brought him up as an addition to the "black Superman isn't a new thing" conversation, not saying "we have black Superman at home" (is that how the meme goes? Kids these days...)

Despite his first full shot in the suit being burned into my head and what I want to be when I grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

Its been forever since I read it but I remember that as more like "this guy is a real deal ideal of Superman" compared to the obnoxious teenager seeking fame, the murdering computer program, and the supervillain in disguise.
The Visor Superman was too emotionally distant and ruthless. Lois may have thought it could have been the trauma of death, but he was written off pretty quickly.

The Cyborg, though, seemed like the best candidate and had there been just a smidgen less Terminator in the design probably would have clenched it easily. He has a great scene where he talks about fragments of memory (like fields in Kansas) that are too jumbled, in the rain, with Lois.

Steel was more like "this guy has the ethos and heroics down pat".

Black Superman Kal El would be sweet. Black Batman Bruce Wayne could probably do real interesting things about class not shielding race, though the 2000s Supreme Power covered some of it.