Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1299546534032412672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

poo poo, this really sucks.

Dan Didio posted:

It's almost impossible they didn't know. You're talking about invasive surgery followed by month-long periods of chemotherapy in this instance. Not to mention the legal issues involved with having someone in that condition work on an action film. I'd imagine most of the cast and crew knew.

Along those lines, it kinda seemed like they were really dragging their feet on scheduling Black Panther 2. It didn't make sense given the cultural and commercial success of the first one, but it does if they were trying to buy time for him recover.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/mizzymicole/status/1299568138871283712

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Made my post in the wrong thread last night:

New Mutants wasn’t terrible. Was definitely going for the YA market, so, I guess we’ll see what they think about it. I thought Magik was the standout, and Lockheed is in the movie

Found out about Boseman during the credits, waiting for the second feature at the drive in, which was Black Panther of course.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
My gut feeling is that Marvel Studios and Coogler won't recast T'Challa, they'll just do a movie centered on Shuri and the supporting characters from the first film. could be totally wrong though.

re: New Mutants, I still want to see it at some point, but it seems like the story of its production and delays are more interesting than the film itself.

basically, the short version seems to be this: Fox execs hated the original cut of the film and ordered a major delay with the intent of doing extensive reshoots, but everything at Fox was in chaos during the 15 months between the announcement of the Disney acquisition and its finalization, so they kept waffling on committing more time and money to the film, leading to further delays, and by the time the merger was finalized and Boone et al. had the green light and cast availability to do reshoots, it had been close to two years since principal photography wrapped and too much of the cast had aged too noticeably for reshoots to be viable. so what's in theaters now is basically identical to what would have been released in April 2018 had the delays not happened and all this was pointless lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I am 100% cool with a Shuri movie, but I expect them to cancel BP2 and simply have Shuri and others appear in other characters' movies, unfortunately.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Brie Larsen posted this on her Instagram from the CM preimer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdRs2wDXFD/

It's really obvious how gaunt he looks. Man, the guy was a legend in so many ways.

This is also going to really piss me off more when someone goes "actually Black Panther is just a psyop to make the CIA look good and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

I am 100% cool with a Shuri movie, but I expect them to cancel BP2 and simply have Shuri and others appear in other characters' movies, unfortunately.

I guarantee even Disney is not this stupid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Am I the only one cringing when a white nerd posts the "Wakanda Forever" pose on social media?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I really doubt that will happen. I expect Black Panther 2 is going to have a real weight to it in dealing with Boseman's death. It should 100% be about Shuri having to cope with the loss of T'Challa while stepping into the mantle of Black Panther.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just extremely don't want to see digital boseman being the king of necropolis, and seeing as his mcu arc is Dad dies, fights to become king, dies in iw, comes back, dies again, it isn't that hard of a sell and Disney is obviously not above doing that to beloved movie stars and their characters

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Am I the only one cringing when a white nerd posts the "Wakanda Forever" pose on social media?

My friends showed me that SNL sketch while we were waiting to see New Mutants.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

site posted:

I just extremely don't want to see digital boseman being the king of necropolis, and seeing as his mcu arc is Dad dies, fights to become king, dies in iw, comes back, dies again, it isn't that hard of a sell and Disney is obviously not above doing that to beloved movie stars and their characters

They'll do Digital Boseman, but it'll be in the Ancestral Plane when Shuri sees him after becoming the new Black Panther and we'll all cry like at the end of Furious 7

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Endless Mike posted:

nah, Wakanda as a setting and the supporting characters are more than popular enough to justify a movie and Feige et al are probably smart enough to realize that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arist posted:

and we'll all cry like at the end of Furious 7

:smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I dunno, the Paul Walker stuff in F7 looked so bad and awkward that I couldn’t help but laugh.

Between that and how Carrie Fisher got shafted in TRoS, I’d rather they just deal with Chadwick’s death offscreen somehow and start the movie afterward with Shuri or whoever having to deal with taking up the mantle and not having him around for guidance anymore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Brie Larsen posted this on her Instagram from the CM preimer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdRs2wDXFD/

It's really obvious how gaunt he looks. Man, the guy was a legend in so many ways.

This is also going to really piss me off more when someone goes "actually Black Panther is just a psyop to make the CIA look good and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart".

I thought he looked smaller and thinner in Endgame.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, we have no clue how sudden it was and what conversations may have happened.

Hopefully they had his input on the future of the series. It was important to him and a lot of people, after all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I hope they recast him because every alternate suggestion sounds dumb. Add a tribute to Boseman at the beginning or the end and just have a little faith in your audience to grasp that a new guy is Black Panther now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

They'll do Digital Boseman, but it'll be in the Ancestral Plane when Shuri sees him after becoming the new Black Panther and we'll all cry like at the end of Furious 7
They can swerve around digital necromancy by having him be embodied by the Panther Spirit Bast in the ancestral plane.

The movie writes itself with opening on T'Challa's funeral, prompting Shuri to take up the mantle, relying on her tech skills to bypass the lack of spirit flower. She teams up with M'Baku and a globe-trekking search for another garden ensues. She hits her low point with failing tech and receives a vision with the Ancestors showing her that the flower was just a means to forge a connection with the spiritual world and instead she mainlines Bast.

Then M'baku is elected to rule and Wakanda gets rid of the ruling monarchy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I guarantee even Disney is not this stupid

Codependent Poster posted:

I really doubt that will happen. I expect Black Panther 2 is going to have a real weight to it in dealing with Boseman's death. It should 100% be about Shuri having to cope with the loss of T'Challa while stepping into the mantle of Black Panther.

Barry Convex posted:

nah, Wakanda as a setting and the supporting characters are more than popular enough to justify a movie and Feige et al are probably smart enough to realize that
I hope y'all are right, but I'm just not confident enough that Disney will not just green-light another woman-led MCU movie, but a Black woman-led MCU movie. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, of course.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think that they will recast, and I hope that they do as well. Boseman is irreplacable and eventually of course I would like to see Shuri take the mantle, but for now T'Challa's story is also honestly very important to a lot of people and I don't like the idea of just putting such a character back on the shelf offscreen and being like "Well that's done now."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think they can recast. It would be too much of a mess of emotion. It sucks but losing a character is such a trivial and lame thing to be upset about when a young man is dead. I'm not gonna mourn for T'challa over Boseman. And recasting would feel like saying the character was more important.

The fact that the natural alternative is to elevate a black woman just makes resisting that and forcing in a replacement all the more awkward.

Honestly, I just feel loving dirty thinking about it or feeling sad about some silly movie series being affected.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I want more T'Challa stories so loving bad but I don't know how they could possibly get away with just straight-up recasting him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

The fact that the natural alternative is to elevate a black woman just makes resisting that and forcing in a replacement all the more awkward.
Also reminds me about how hosed the Howard>Cheadle recast was.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There are thousands and tens of thousands of small children and young people out there who were deeply inspired by the heroic Black Panther and were looking to see him fight on. I personally don't believe it's any more disrespectful to Boseman's legacy to have this character -- his character -- survive him to go on and accomplish more.

Right now is, of course, not the right time to be making any decisions about that; everyone is feeling sad and dispirited and raw. But I put forth the bitter truth that the character of Black Panther has been around before Boseman and will be around after as well, just like Superman was around before Christopher Reeve, just like there will someday be another Iron Man or Captain America after Downey and Evans.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

They will absolutely recast T'Challa and that's exactly what they should do. The character is bigger than one actor, as sublime as he was, and there's a lot of value (and frankly money) in the character's stories to come. There will be a lot of time to mourn and process before they recast, the industry is still substantially shut down which gives them even more time to be thoughtful and deliberate about it. I certainly don't envy the actor who has to follow those footsteps but someone will have to and should do it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they recast him, I feel really bad for whoever gets that role. Everyone is going to dislike them at first, it's a no win

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 30, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Inspired by the death of his beloved friend, CIA Agent Everett Ross takes on the mantle of being the Black Panther

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's certainly a... timely... opportunity to make a film about a succession crisis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like everyone else in the Black Panther movie but I really do not want to watch a Black Panther movie without the Black Panther in it.

FilthyImp posted:

Also reminds me about how hosed the Howard>Cheadle recast was.

Nobody cared about that though. Terrence Howard sucks.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They should make the next movie a Shuri centered movie and recast T'challa as the lead for a third movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you told me they wanted to make Lupita Nyong'o the new Black Panther I wouldn't have a single problem with that.

It feels like we're like 10 years away tops from having to reset the entire universe because everyone is too old, so I don't feel like losing T'Challa is fundamentally any worse than the great characters who haven't been around. And I half suspect that Loki, WandaVision, and Doctor Strange are gonna be all about introducing the Multiverse exactly so they can get around this and introduce alternative versions of characters so like, by Black Panther 3 we could meet an alternate T'Challa married to Storm or something.

But again, this all feels like a really dirty concern right now. Not that I'm pointing fingers at anyone but myself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody cared about that though. Terrence Howard sucks.

Yea, I don't know why people bring this up as some kind of black mark. They traded up from a pretty middling actor to one of the best actors working today.

But there's probably another fantastic young black actor who could do the part just as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Killmonger survives, and does a full face turn

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I did have the thought that they could adapt Kasper Cole's introductory arc from the end of Priest's run.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm surprised to see so many here argue for recasting. Most opinions on twitter seem to be saying the opposite, that it'd be disrespectful to recast.

Personally I agree that they should just cast someone else. Just having him die offscreen seems kind of silly

Retro Futurist posted:

If they recast him, I feel really bad for whoever gets that role. Everyone is going to dislike them at first, it's a no win

They'll hate him right until the movie starts, that's how these things usually go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I don't know why people bring this up as some kind of black mark. They traded up from a pretty middling actor to one of the best actors working today.

In addition to his performance being middling, apparently he was a nightmare to work with and his weird Terryology thing makes me think that’s almost certainly true. That’s some Timecube poo poo right there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I think there are 3 perfectly good women already introduced in bp1 that could fill the role just fine instead of recasting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they do want to get crazy with the multiverse and recast, have Michael B. Jordan come in as a T'Challa from another universe.

But I still think making Shuri the next Black Panther is the best idea. Eventually you can recast T'Challa, but I think the next film would be too soon for that.