Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
and yet old guard came out around the same time with a director i'd never heard of before and blew ww84 the gently caress outta the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like WB let Jenkins write WW84 herself which clearly was a bad idea

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

She's not right just because there's a glut of movies that nobody has ever heard of on streaming services. She's talking down and invalidating a lot of great work by a lot of talented people in an extremely condescending way. So we're throwing out Roma, Da 5 Bloods, Mank, Beast of No Nation, Lost Girls? On the word of the person that gave us Wonder Woman 84? Yeah. Ok. One again it reeks of someone that is stuck in the old world and refuses to get with the future. Even Scorsese did a movie for streaming.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The United States posted:

She's right, HBO MAX's slate of WATCH OUR THEATRICAL MOVIES AT HOME this past year has been absolutely dire, with the exception of Judas and the Black Messiah and possibly Dune

I was going to say "what about Mortal Kombat?" and then I sat there like a broken robot for a minute trying to remember if I liked Mortal Kombat or not.

It was OK, I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The intro segment set in Japan is good and then nothing else.

"I'm Scorpion now!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Credits are rolling on Shang-Chi. Enjoyed it. Really great action, Leung was great, and the third act was waaaaaaay weirder than I was expecting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I never thought I'd say this about any movie buuuut in Shang Chi, the kaiju fight felt really unnecessary. Other than that I thought it was dope. The mid credit scene with Wong, Bruce(!), and Carol(!!) that culminated in Wong, Katy, and Shang going out for karaoke was grear

Huh, Fraction got a special thanks credit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

howe_sam posted:

The mid credit scene with Wong, Bruce(!), and Carol(!!) that culminated in Wong, Katy, and Shang going out for karaoke was grear

On that note, wonder why Bruce wasn't Professor Hulk (besides them just not wanting to do all the CGI work that would entail).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Shang-Chi was a lot of fun. Maybe people though Simu Liu has no charisma, but he's charismatic as gently caress in the movie.

During the fights I didn't see any direct references to famous kung fu scenes, with the exception of Xiuling dropping the weight on her weapon and the shot is exactly like GoGo in Kill Bill Vol. 1. There's lots of stuff that evolks the feeling of Shaw Brothers but more like the 90s wave of really high budget films like Hero or Crouching Tiger.

But holy poo poo that mid credits sequence, Carol just zooming out and Bruce all "she does that all the time" and Wong, Shang and Katy going off to karaoke. Also Wong and Abomination are buddies! Wholesome. Though i wonder if the energy from the Ten Rings is going to be related to the Eternals. The story said the Mandarin got them from a crater or a tomb, so its easily to think that it was something that the Eternals left behind

Akwafina is pretty adorable in this as well.

Also I had not seen the Kingsmen trailer, and Kung Fu Rasputin sold me on that.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 3, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
So Donnie Yen in Blade 2 is the biggest waste of an actor right? He didn't have a single line and got killed off in a dark sewer that you can't see anything in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Digital Jedi posted:

So Donnie Yen in Blade 2 is the biggest waste of an actor right? He didn't have a single line and got killed off in a dark sewer that you can't see anything in.

I think he kills a few rando vampires, that's about it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shang-Chi is like really really good. Way way better than I expected. I think everyone knocks it out of the park.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Digital Jedi posted:

Wasn't he there mostly as a behind the scenes fight choreography guy and they threw him in the film because hey why not?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, he fought like 1 vampire for 2 minutes maybe

howe_sam posted:

Wasn't he there mostly as a behind the scenes fight choreography guy and they threw him in the film because hey why not?

Huh I didn't know that. That explains why he is just there in the background.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Digital Jedi posted:

Brad Pitt in Deadpool 2 I think technically tops this list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s not really a waste because he only did it for it to be that small part. If it was more of a role they wouldn’t get Brad Pitt.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eccleston in Thor 2 has to be a top 5

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Digital Jedi posted:

He was extremely unknown in America at that point so I don't know if it was a waste or not. He'd also done Highlander 5 which nobody wants to remember.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

Eccleston in Thor 2 has to be a top 5

Also Oscar Isaac in X Men Apocalypse

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

I didn't know that either, but that's cool.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also Oscar Isaac in X Men Apocalypse

I just feel bad for him in that. I feel bad for everyone involved with that movie.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I absolutely did not mind that it went all Asia album art in the final act. Kingsley got some really great stuff with the Planet of the Apes bit. I really enjoyed that and his "oh sure why not" apparently burned out John Lennon take.

Was that supposed to be The Abomination in the fight club scene? I thought that dude was a heel?

Also, how many hidden mystical kung-fu cities does the Marvel Universe have? Was this a comics thing, or was it just Not Kun Lun for the movie.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

You know I think all of that crew dies except for Perlman’s character and I don’t even recall what happened to him. Like I’m not sure he dies on camera.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ta-Lo definitely had a Seven Capital Cities of Heaven vibe going on so imagine that's why Fraction got a shout out. I'm kinda bummed they went with an obscure Thor reference rather than K'un Lun itself but whatever, it was pretty cool regardless.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ta-Lo definitely had a Seven Capital Cities of Heaven vibe going on so imagine that's why Fraction got a shout out. I'm kinda bummed they went with an obscure Thor reference rather than K'un Lun itself but whatever, it was pretty cool regardless.

Probably because Iron Fist poo poo the bed so hard.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Probably because Iron Fist poo poo the bed so hard.

That + Tibetan connection + white washing means it doesn't stand much of a chance anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

You know I think all of that crew dies except for Perlman’s character and I don’t even recall what happened to him. Like I’m not sure he dies on camera.

Blade cuts him right in half.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Blade cuts him right in half.

Nope! Having rewatched the film, which I recommend, the big member of the Blood Pack ('Blood Pack' :allears:) who gets turned into a Reaper kills him.

Man, I'd forgotten the Cat's in that movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I like that with one of the trailers, people were wondering what the deal was with Abomination vs. Wong in a fight club cage match. Months later we finally get the movie and it only leads to even more questions! What the hell is going on with those two? Kind of made me think of Ryu and Hulk's relationship from the last Marvel vs. Capcom game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something about the that reminds me that in the fight club, there was a sumo wrestler fighting a guy in a karate gi, so I can only assume that's meant to be an easter egg for E Honda and Ryu. There was also an extremis soldier in one of those rooms too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

twistedmentat posted:

Something about the that reminds me that in the fight club, there was a sumo wrestler fighting a guy in a karate gi, so I can only assume that's meant to be an easter egg for E Honda and Ryu. There was also an extremis soldier in one of those rooms too.

Part of me was hoping that sumo guy was Fat Cobra, but no way would he be in the small fries section of the arena.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kinda frustrating how the media and fans still refer to Wenwu as the Mandarin when he mocks the very idea of the name and confirms it was never anything more than Killian's racist boogeyman.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nodosaur posted:

Kinda frustrating how the media and fans still refer to Wenwu as the Mandarin when he mocks the very idea of the name and confirms it was never anything more than Killian's racist boogeyman.

As someone who was annoyed about them bringing back the Mandarin after what I thought was an excellent subversion of the character in Iron Man 3, that scene where Wenwu mocked the Mandarin name justified it for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress I'm gonna end up going to the theater for this won't I?

I deleted my :filez: version because it had a goddamn commercial in it for a gambling website ten minutes in along with banner ads like on network tv.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Yayan Ruhian and Iko Uwais (from The Raid Redemption) in the Force Awakens was a huge letdown. Why cast a couple incredible martial artists if they don't do anything?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Soonmot posted:

gently caress I'm gonna end up going to the theater for this won't I?

First one that's tempted me as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man I love how much this phase is leaning towards horror. Like, Dweller in the Darkness? drat, son!

Also when do we get a Razorfist/Tazerface Disney+ show?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of surprised how much of the movie is in Chinese.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

So I didn't catch if any of Tony Leung's lines were in Cantonese but I'm pretty sure I heard him speaking Mandarin which he apparently had to learn for a previous role. It's basically his big American break and the whole movie he's stuck speaking languages he's not super familiar with and nailing it.

Nodosaur posted:

In their defense that's what the character is known as usually. Now he's meant to be a non racist reclamation of the character that doesn't go by a replacement "super" name, but we call Abomination, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, etc by their super names even though they don't go by them in universe.
It should be more obvious why this instance is different(as you said, it's plainly stated in the movie) but people don't get it, probably because Mandarin isn't a widely understood no no word. If he was supposed to be a character known as the "Oriental" I think people would be happy to call him Wenwu (though 10-20 years ago they wouldn't have understood why that was bad either)

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 4, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea, and just how much of the movie has scene with zero white people in it. I was thinking, i'm glad that when Shang-Chi tells Kate that he actually did go through with his first hit, that the man he killed was her Grandfather.

Retro Futurist posted:

Man I love how much this phase is leaning towards horror. Like, Dweller in the Darkness? drat, son!

Also when do we get a Razorfist/Tazerface Disney+ show?

I'm fully expecting Dr Strange 2 to be basically Prince of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, and just how much of the movie has scene with zero white people in it. I was thinking, i'm glad that when Shang-Chi tells Kate that he actually did go through with his first hit, that the man he killed was her Grandfather.

Wait, what…. Oh drat.