Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Wow, there’s a ton happening.

I’m confused if Peacemaker/Waller is Elseworlds or DCU though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lobok posted:

Brave and the Bold is animated or live action?

Live action movie. Damien Wayne Robin specifically, and Gunn called it the beginning of the Bat-family in the DCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lobok posted:

Brave and the Bold is animated or live action?

Live action.

New actor as Batman.

The Batman 2 will keep the same cast and not clear if either of them are in the main canon or not.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Live action.

New actor as Batman.

The Batman 2 will keep the same cast and not clear if either of them are in the main canon or not.

The Batman Part 2/Penguin/ReevesVerse is Elseworlds

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Is there a good blog that’s gonna break down Gunn’s slate? Twitter sucks.

e:

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1620468379672002565?s=46&t=enDYfyKF7GrSkjhX6BnzkQ

Wishing for the best! I hope everything is good!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aquaman 3 teased.

"No actors will play multiple characters" seems to shoot down rumors of Mamoa as Lobo.

Ta-Nehisi Coates' "Black Superman" will get an Elseworld movie.

The Flash is "the greatest Superhero movie of all time" and going ahead 100% full steam with no more delays or reshoots.

Joker 2 is an Elseworld and not part of main canon.

The Batman 2 is also an Elseworld.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1620470098204184577

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Flash is "the greatest Superhero movie of all time" and going ahead 100% full steam with no more delays or reshoots.

I'm getting giddy. This thing is going to be a loving trainwreck.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Gonna quote for new page and go through the projects and the current release order:

Soul Glo posted:

Is there a good blog that’s gonna break down Gunn’s slate? Twitter sucks.

e:

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1620468379672002565?s=46&t=enDYfyKF7GrSkjhX6BnzkQ

Shazam Fury of the Gods - Movie

The Flash - DCU Reset - Movie

Blue Beetle - Movie

Aquaman 2 - Movie

Beginning of the "Gods and Monsters" Chapter:

Creature Commandos - Animated Series written by Gunn.
Waller - Live Action Series - Viola Davis' Waller with some of the Peacemaker Team
Superman Legacy - Live Action Movie written by Gunn
Lanterns - HBO Live Action Series focused on Hal Jordan and John Stewart
The Authority - Live Action Movie
Paradise Lost - Live Action Series based on bronze age politicking of Themyscira
The Brave and the Bold - Live Action Film, Grant Morrison's run with Damien Wayne
Booster Gold - Live Action Series
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow - Live Action Movie
Swamp Thing - Live Action Movie described as a horror movie, tonally different but connected to the DCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Safran says "Batgirl was unwatchable" and they are glad they cancelled it before they came on because "it would have hurt DC" and they want to do the character justice in a full feature film soon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Arist posted:

I'm getting giddy. This thing is going to be a loving trainwreck.

It's the most anticipated film I'm never going to turn out for, by a mile.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Safran says "Batgirl was unwatchable" and but they are glad they cancelled it before they came on because "it would have hurt DC" and they want to do the character justice in a full feature film soon.

I do not believe this, and even if it's somehow true, what a dick move to just say it like this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Slight correction: Watched it again and he says "Batgirl was unreleaseable" and not "unwatchable."

Doesn't really change what he was saying, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AngryBooch posted:

Live action movie. Damien Wayne Robin specifically, and Gunn called it the beginning of the Bat-family in the DCU.

Oh... I was hoping to get some Dick!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I do not believe this, and even if it's somehow true, what a dick move to just say it like this.

Yeah, like even if it's godawful, how rude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBCcM6GVLOU&t=13s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We put out Black Adam but somehow Batgirl was unreleasable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AngryBooch posted:

Gonna quote for new page and go through the projects and the current release order:

Shazam Fury of the Gods - Movie

The Flash - DCU Reset - Movie

Blue Beetle - Movie

Aquaman 2 - Movie

Beginning of the "Gods and Monsters" Chapter:

Creature Commandos - Animated Series written by Gunn.
Waller - Live Action Series - Viola Davis' Waller with some of the Peacemaker Team
Superman Legacy - Live Action Movie written by Gunn
Lanterns - HBO Live Action Series focused on Hal Jordan and John Stewart
The Authority - Live Action Movie
Paradise Lost - Live Action Series based on bronze age politicking of Themyscira
The Brave and the Bold - Live Action Film, Grant Morrison's run with Damien Wayne
Booster Gold - Live Action Series
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow - Live Action Movie
Swamp Thing - Live Action Movie described as a horror movie, tonally different but connected to the DCU.
I notice that Peacemaker S2 and that Penguin series are not on this list

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Safran says "Batgirl was unwatchable" and they are glad they cancelled it before they came on because "it would have hurt DC" and they want to do the character justice in a full feature film soon.

this is not actually what he said, though I'm not sure if what he did say was significantly better but at least it's less explicitly about the film's quality

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/batgirl-movie-shelved-dc-studios-head-peter-safran-1235506921/

quote:

“Batgirl’s a character that inevitably we will include in our story,” he said. “On the Batgirl front, it’s not about late in the process of the film getting canceled. I saw the movie, and there are a lot of incredibly talented people in front of and behind the camera on that film. But that film was not releasable, and it happens sometimes. That film was not releasable. I actually think that [president and CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery David] Zaslav and the team made a very bold and courageous decision to cancel it because it would have hurt DC. It would have hurt those people involved.”

“I think that they really stood up to support DC,” he continued. “The characters, the story, the quality of all of that. I spoke to Adil [El Arbi] and Bilall [Fallah] — the directors — last week, we were chatting. We’d love to be in business with all those folks. Christina Hodson wrote it. Some people are already back in business with us. As I said, a lot of talented people were involved, but the film just was not releasable. It would not have been able to compete in the theatrical marketplace; it was built for the small screen. So, again, I think it was not an easy decision, but they made the right decision by shelving it.”

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Safran posted:

But that film was not releasable, and it happens sometimes.
I literally do not remember the last time this ever happened to a feature length blockbuster but go off I guess :xd:

Anyway I have no faith that literally any of these are going to be released. Oh sure, objectively speaking there's probably a chance that some of them might be, but WB has earned zero benefits of any doubts here. Until we literally see them playing in front of our eyes these should all be treated as all dead projects.

...Which is like, whatever, 'cuz most of these sound pretty bad anyway? Like I 100% want to see a Robin but it should have been Dick and it would have made perfect sense in the Battinson sequel anyway? Paradise Lost would be good if they take all their cues from Wonder Woman Historia, but I also have zero faith in that happening and they'll probably just use it to double down on daddy Zeus, so meh to that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont want to defend the shelving of Batgirl because I don't believe it should have been shelved but it was never a "blockbuster" it was filmed on a smaller budget designed for straight to streaming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Empire of the Deep is one. Maybe the only other one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh nice. Tom King is on Gunn's team. Which superhero is going to have a wildly out of character story about past trauma? Guessing Booster as he's done it to Booster once already.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man the article I read made the whole thing look a little silly. It was all like "Well, this new Superman is all about being super super good. He's the best and nicest person there is. Therefore of course the villain needs to just be super evil, just a hosed up evil guy, like Gorilla Grodd or the Joker. Meanwhile we've got Damien Wayne in the Batman movie, and he's going to be this hosed up little assassin/murderer. Then we're doing Supergirl, and the story there is that she's from a chunk of Krypton that survived, and that made her just a little more hard edged, a little bit hosed up, you know. Finally, we do need to do something tonally different, so here's Swamp Thing, and this movie is just gonna be all dark and edgy." Like I have to assume I was just reading the shittiest take on his presentation ever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

Oh nice. Tom King is on Gunn's team. Which superhero is going to have a wildly out of character story about past trauma? Guessing Booster as he's done it to Booster once already.

They're adapting his Supergirl miniseries, so there you go.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

Man the article I read made the whole thing look a little silly. It was all like "Well, this new Superman is all about being super super good. He's the best and nicest person there is. Therefore of course the villain needs to just be super evil, just a hosed up evil guy, like Gorilla Grodd or the Joker. Meanwhile we've got Damien Wayne in the Batman movie, and he's going to be this hosed up little assassin/murderer. Then we're doing Supergirl, and the story there is that she's from a chunk of Krypton that survived, and that made her just a little more hard edged, a little bit hosed up, you know. Finally, we do need to do something tonally different, so here's Swamp Thing, and this movie is just gonna be all dark and edgy." Like I have to assume I was just reading the shittiest take on his presentation ever.

If their phase-but-not-calling-it-a-phase is Gods & Monsters then I expect each film to smirk at the audience and go "heh, not so different are they?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Bat family in the DCU?

Where the gently caress is my Batman, Inc. movie then, Gunn??? :argh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
starting the bat family with Damien as Robin means that dick, todd, Jason, babs, Stephanie, and cass are already active in this universe right?

right??

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Does this mean we are going to get two different actors playing Batman in two different films? Maybe they should just bypass Bruce for Batman and Robin and have Grayson be Batman.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

starting the bat family with Damien as Robin means that dick, todd, Jason, babs, Stephanie, and cass are already active in this universe right?

right??

I assume at least Dick. Barbra also seems likely. The rest probably depends on what stories they want to tell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Madkal posted:

Does this mean we are going to get two different actors playing Batman in two different films? Maybe they should just bypass Bruce for Batman and Robin and have Grayson be Batman.

Yes, Gunn said that DCU and Elseworlds will be clearly delineated. I expect most video games for instance, to fall under the Elseworlds banner as their dev time makes it difficult to weave into anything overarching anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really like how Gunn made a point to say Teen Titans Go is now an elseworlds

i totally thought that was dcu canon

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I already liked Gunn, but hearing that Damian is his favorite Robin makes me like him more.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I find it pretty funny that since Batman and Robin, in 1997, there hasn't been an actual on-screen Robin. Yeah sure Dark Knight Rises kinda counts but not really. There's been what, six movies since then, 6.5 if you include the Snyder Cut I guess. Robin doesn't exist for three of them and is already dead/elsewhere in the other three.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who was the last Robin in a theatrical release? Michael Cera?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lobok posted:

Who was the last Robin in a theatrical release? Michael Cera?

I think Teen Titans Go To The Movies is one year later, so Scott Menville?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah you're right. Also I'm just learning now (never seen TTG) that Robin is Grayson in that series? Just assumed it was Drake for some reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lmao at the slate going full speed ahead with the Flash and a reboot and multiple projects (Peacemaker, Waller) just going ahead with the preboot poo poo they're so desperate to throw off.

DC so pure and uncut that Ultraman could snort it.

Lobok posted:

Ah you're right. Also I'm just learning now (never seen TTG) that Robin is Grayson in that series? Just assumed it was Drake for some reason.
They keep it loose but the backstory elements align with Grayson.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why would ttg Robin be Tim but then all the other titans are the og team

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

Firstly, watch Teen Titans Go to the movie
Secondly Robin in Teen Titans Go is completely his own character. It was be both amazing and disastrous if Grayson behaved in the comics the same way he behaves in TTG.

edit: Thinking about it they need to make a Grayson movie like Spiderverse/No Way Home which features Teen Titans Go Robin, Batman and Robin's Robin, Batman TAS's Robin, Batman 65's Robin, original Teen Titan's cartoon Robin, Titans Live Action's Robin/Nightwing etc.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 31, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I find it pretty funny that since Batman and Robin, in 1997, there hasn't been an actual on-screen Robin.

Why mess with perfection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've only seen bits and pieces but I just always assumed it was Grayson since its the New Teen Titans lineup and it would be kind of weird to put Drake with them.

I mean not weird in a way viewers probably would have cared. But just why bother?