Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Jurgens is in the pro-trunks camp for Superman so I hope he has a big influence

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1620831766784397314?s=46&t=IHXuwIrDpo9ZkfMaLQnJ-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Ronin1138 posted:

It’s funny on Twitter that Dan Jurgens, JM deMatteis, and Tom King are all commenting in a positive way about yesterdays news and giving alittle bit of history of their creations and on the other side Bryan Hitch is complaining no one consulted him for permission to make an Authority movie. What a diva

It's not what he said at all, he said "hey no one told me about this beforehand" which, you think they would!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm sure Jurgens will be pleased as punch once it turns out live action Booster is a guy called Marty Joe Carmack from the present day who finds a bunch of mysterious future tech in a dumpster so DC can say it's a totally different character and not pay him a cent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm sure Jurgens will be pleased as punch once it turns out live action Booster is a guy called Marty Joe Carmack from the present day who finds a bunch of mysterious future tech in a dumpster so DC can say it's a totally different character and not pay him a cent.

The movies haven't done this type of thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gunn described Booster pretty well in that video where he did the rundown on all the projects. So it seems like it will be faithful. Whether they keep his trusty sidekick's name in a post-Lil Jon era is something I'm less sure of.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sentinel Red posted:

Hasn't DC been pretty good about this kind of thing? At least in some cases?

I remember at one point Starlin was talking about how DC paid him more for using KGBeast in the movies than Marvel did using Thanos, so there's that at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, the bullshit he’s describing was done on TV.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, that Killer Frost poo poo was just offensively weaselly so forgive me for not having a huge amount of faith in them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
booster gold is obviously a sneak legends of tomorrow movie

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ronin1138 posted:

It’s funny on Twitter that Dan Jurgens, JM deMatteis, and Tom King are all commenting in a positive way about yesterdays news and giving alittle bit of history of their creations and on the other side Bryan Hitch is complaining no one consulted him for permission to make an Authority movie. What a diva
ehh Hitch is fine. No need to make it a bigger thing than it is.

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/status/1620740339006078976

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, that Killer Frost poo poo was just offensively weaselly so forgive me for not having a huge amount of faith in them.

That was the cw my dude

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ronin1138 posted:

That was the cw my dude

Hey what's the W stand for?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Joe Fisto posted:

Jurgens is in the pro-trunks camp for Superman so I hope he has a big influence

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1620831766784397314?s=46&t=IHXuwIrDpo9ZkfMaLQnJ-A

I think it'd be rushing it to bring in Trunks before even announcing Superman vs Goku

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1621191721462947845
:allears: I'm not going to buy the book, but I love that they made it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I sure hope this means something

https://twitter.com/mang0ld/status/1620686622152077313?s=46&t=7RWcFlKStLcg-CFhNYgkrg

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Variety reported that Mangold is already in talks to direct Swamp Thing.

So, it probably does unless it falls through for some reason.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1621191721462947845
:allears: I'm not going to buy the book, but I love that they made it.

I am gonna buy the book

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Variety reported that Mangold is already in talks to direct Swamp Thing.

So, it probably does unless it falls through for some reason.

Should’ve been Steve Kostanski

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Should’ve been Steve Kostanski

100%

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They released a behind the scenes featurette for Quantumania. There's nothing especially fascinating in it, but one thing was kind of surprising. Apparently, the Quantum Realm set, which looks CGI as hell, is actually mostly a practical set.

(Forgive the kind of bad quality screen grab I took)

One other thing that they didn't specifically reveal (but you can kind of infer from a flashback scene with MODOK) is that the way he became Modok is because right before he went Quantum in Ant-Man 1, Paul Rudd broke the right eye on his visor. So, he has some kind of mutated head that only partially shrunk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Volume poo poo

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Do directors just do episodes of The Mandalorian to practice for their movies?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Quantumania Early Review embargo lifted. These are usually slightly more positive than general reviews and aren't allowed to describe any plot points. Full detailed print review embargo lifts in 6 days (on the 13th).

The Hollywood reporter has a collection of early impressions and reviews.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/antman-3-first-reactions-from-world-premiere-1235319358/

The few things that seem to be common threads among all the reviewers:

- Jonathan Majors is incredible and is absolutely the best performance in the movie.

- Kathryn Newton is fine, but noticeably the worst actor of the cast.

- The background CGI can look a bit wonky at times, but the CGI and fight choreography are very creative uses of the power and look great. A few people mentioning the disparity in how good some of the visuals look with how some of the backgrounds look wonky.

- This is the first Phase 5 movie and really kicks the overarching narrative threads into high gear. Some people really liked it because they felt like Phase 4 was spinning its wheels by recreating the origin stories/intros of phase 1 and not advancing the overarching plot. Some people were annoyed that it wasn't as small scale as the other Ant-Man movies.

- Several people described it as "the second funniest MCU movie" (behind Ragnarok) and praised the comedy, but said it wasn't as surprisingly funny as Ragnarok because Ant-Man has always been a comedic character. They also say that there were a lot of very strong jokes, but the total amount of jokes in the movie is way down compared to a typical MCU movie and WAY WAY down from the previous Ant-Man movies.

- Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer work incredibly well as part of the ensemble, but are given very little screen time or much to do when they are away from the group.

- It leans heavily into "the weirdness" and strays from the usual MCU formula - in good and bad ways.

https://twitter.com/howatdk/status/1622824393503313921
https://twitter.com/noradominick/status/1622823835966881793
https://twitter.com/AtabeyTv/status/1622822530858844163
https://twitter.com/_ShauryaChawla/status/1622822470519607298

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 7, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They also say that there were a lot of very strong jokes, but the total amount of jokes in the movie is way down compared to a typical MCU movie and WAY WAY down from the previous Ant-Man movies.

I have mixed feelings about this because I do feel like the MCU has been a little quip-heavy, but on the other hand it's Ant-Man, and that's the one that's supposed to have more jokes

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 7, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Kang just can’t stop getting into trouble with a family of super folks, can he? Still, I dig Ant-Man for usually being small scale stuff, no pun intended, not sure I’m in the mood for Epic Fate of Existence type poo poo with him.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Why are they releasing the embargo so far before the release date? It seems like a week and a half is enough time for buzz to reach a pitch and then start declining. Then again, I'm not a Coke-addled Hollywood Exec so I have no experience in these matters.

Just seems like a long interval compared to prior Marvel films.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The premiere was last night.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Admiralty Flag posted:

Why are they releasing the embargo so far before the release date? It seems like a week and a half is enough time for buzz to reach a pitch and then start declining. Then again, I'm not a Coke-addled Hollywood Exec so I have no experience in these matters.

Just seems like a long interval compared to prior Marvel films.

They bumped up the "social media" and "first look" embargo by a week. The full longform written review embargo doesn't lift for 6 more days. That is when the reviewers are going to post the full reviews with scores and longform reviews.

As to why they bumped the first look/social media embargo up? :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, the bullshit he’s describing was done on TV.

Pretty sure they did it in the movies too, King Shark, Bloodsport, and Peacemaker were heavily reworked from their comics origins.

Were their creators credited in the movie credits?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Saw Wakanda Forever finally (yea D+) and the more I think about Namor the more his name origin makes me giggle thinking of him as an emo 15 year old. Also he need to be more arrogant. Wasn't a big fan him being so soft spoken.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When they said how he got his name, I laughed in Spanish

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Madkal posted:

Saw Wakanda Forever finally (yea D+) and the more I think about Namor the more his name origin makes me giggle thinking of him as an emo 15 year old. Also he need to be more arrogant. Wasn't a big fan him being so soft spoken.

He came off to me as unhinged when he needed to be more confident and arrogant. Not terrible but felt off.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Madkal posted:

"Oh, ¿no te gusta Moz? Then adiós."

-Namor

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know if Namor as his full on Vegeta of the Deep comics self would work in live action, but I would really like to see someone try

But with Black Adam being a sulky Dwayne instead of a smug ancient king, I don't know who's around that could be another swing at the type of characterization. I guess we'll see how Lobo turns out, but the vibes are different there. Or maybe they could use that kind of characterization for Hercules, since Thor is already doing his classic himbo act.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't know if Namor as his full on Vegeta of the Deep comics self would work in live action, but I would really like to see someone try

But with Black Adam being a sulky Dwayne instead of a smug ancient king, I don't know who's around that could be another swing at the type of characterization. I guess we'll see how Lobo turns out, but the vibes are different there. Or maybe they could use that kind of characterization for Hercules, since Thor is already doing his classic himbo act.

Dr. Doom!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Weird decision.

WB/D keeping Discovery+ as a standalone service, creating a new channel, and licensing out a lot of their content to be exclusive to Tubi and Roku.

quote:

Discovery+ to Remain Standalone Streaming Platform While Still Combining With HBO Max

Warner Bros. Discovery has decided to keep Discovery+ as a standalone streaming offering and to proceed with launching the yet-to-be-named combined product of Discovery+ and HBO Max, Variety has confirmed.

According to a Wednesday report in the Wall Street Journal, “Instead of combining HBO Max and Discovery+ in their entirety, the new platform will feature HBO Max content and most Discovery+ content, with Discovery+ remaining available as a stand-alone option, some of the people said.”

quote:

As Variety previously reported, Warner Bros. Discovery is also launching a FAST channel this year. WBD has already set deals with Tubi and Roku giving the third-party FAST partners access to content pulled from HBO Max — including “Westworld,” “The Nevers,” “Raised by Wolves,” “FBoy Island,” “Legendary,” “Finding Magic Mike,” “Head of the Class” and “The Time Traveler’s Wife.”

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/discovery-plus-standalone-hbo-max-streaming-warner-bros-1235516716/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think what this means is that basically HBOMax will get more expensive as they charge you more to add a bunch of Discovery+ stuff you won't watch. Then Zaslav will point at how this inevitably means HBOMax will lose subscribers relative to Discovery+ and use this as an excuse to kill HBOMax and non-reality TV content.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fangz posted:

I think what this means is that basically HBOMax will get more expensive as they charge you more to add a bunch of Discovery+ stuff you won't watch. Then Zaslav will point at how this inevitably means HBOMax will lose subscribers relative to Discovery+ and use this as an excuse to kill HBOMax and non-reality TV content.
That seems more than a bit convoluted

He could just kill HBO Max now if he wanted

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FlamingLiberal posted:

That seems more than a bit convoluted

He could just kill HBO Max now if he wanted

look at Netflix rn, the people that run these companies are not intelligent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I assume there's some Hollywood math involved where this loses the company a bunch of money but the execs all get big bonuses